• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An important statement from Naughty Dog

Dynasty

I'm assuming he has some evidence on hand, because why else would you publicly expose and allege something this serious.

He may have no proof at all, the reason he probably came out is because of the whole Weinstein scandal which is giving alot of other people the confidence to speak out. If he has no proof his only chance of outing his harraser is that the the harrasser has done this before and more people spoke out, otherwise it is just Sony's words against his which will lead to nothing.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Of course there’s no evidence. It’s been destroyed.

If Sony were offering hush money, destroying evidence is a logical next step.

Here's my read on events:
  • David suffers months of harassment, does NOT tell management.
  • David has a mental breakdown :( Management decides to fire him. (At this point, the harassment is still unknown to management)
  • Management makes the decision to fire him. At this point, David is getting fired no matter what.
  • David tells management in the severance conversation about the harassment.
  • Management offers David a severance package. Severence packages always come with a non-disparagement clause. David interprets this as "paying to silence me."
What I'm yet to see is any concrete evidence that Sony and/or Naughty Dog knew about the harassment.

I can't hold it against those companies without seeing some sort of willful disregard. Can David elaborate on when he told management? How he told management?
It's not clear whether David is insinuating Naughty Dog knew about the harassment but I think it's very clear he's suggesting Sony did. Whether the alleged severance package was due to the harassment or not they should be duty-bound to investigate claims of harassment.

Wow, another thread. I'll just post what I said in the other one.

I think we're going to have a lot of these that could be fake allegations. It could be real. We don't know.
Certainly no person in the World can be exempt from this kind of crime. Anyone can do it.

The difference is that the journalist who wrote the piece on exposing Weinstein spent years making it. There's a huge difference between a single post of Twitter vs what it took to finally expose Weinstein.

Words of wisdom which will be ignored!

NeoRaider

Are they serious with this response?? Is this a joke?
It's not just one person, David wasn't alone to speak about this. So they are basically saying that ppl are lying?

Or ND could've just said nothing for the time being. Their statement comes across as extremely hallow and insensitive to the victim.

You do realize how this works? That officially filed sexual harassment claims are documented? If it wasn't documented, then they have no evidence. If he was harassed, I hope Justice is served. But still this point this is not when you state something that isn't based on facts. This statement was made after receiving considerable legal advice.

mrk8885

Banned
The amount of people around here already assuming guilt on the part of Sony/ND and talking boycott is appalling. Everyone so quick to grab the pitchforks.

Lady Gaia

But there’s already a history of shitty treatment at Naughty Dog sooooooo

So let's jump to conclusions without anything remotely resembling evidence! I'm sorry, but at this point the only sane response is to want a whole lot more evidence before coming to any conclusions.

Kinyou

Are they serious with this response?? Is this a joke?
It's not just one person, David wasn't alone to speak about this. So they are basically saying that ppl are lying?
They're talking about the one specific allegation. They're also not saying that anyone is lying, they're just saying that they don't have records of a complaint.

they called him out...Jesus. Fucking pieces of trash
How did they call him out? It's not like this allegation was handled privately

mrk8885

Banned
Also what’s with everyone complaining ND used his name? The guy made the accusation on his public twitter account.

Mattenth

It's not clear whether David is insinuating Naughty Dog knew about the harassment but I think it's very clear he's suggesting Sony did. Whether the alleged severance package was due to the harassment or not they should be duty-bound to investigate claims of harassment.

I find the whole Sony thing really odd.

Naughty Dog has their own HR team, their own recruiting team, etc. Naughty Dog is an independent entity from Sony. When you're an employee at Naughty Dog, you rarely interface with Sony.

Why would Sony be involved at all?

It's similar to imply that harassment at Bungie should be reported to Activision, or harassment at Riot Games reported to Tencent.

It'd just be really weird for a parent company to involve itself in a subsidiary in this way.

Hero

You do realize how this works? That officially filed sexual harassment claims are documented? If it wasn't documented, then they have no evidence. If he was harassed, I hope Justice is served. But still this point this is not when you state something that isn't based on facts. This statement was made after receiving considerable legal advice.

Stop with your childish condescending attitude. Everyone knows how the system is supposed to work, when the entire point of someone coming forward is that the system is flawed and broken. A statement that completely reads as legal corporate speak less than a day after someone that's been a victim for almost two years comes across as low and that they just want to get away from this.

Scuffed

They should really make sure there is no evidence of a report through an investigation before saying there is no report. There is no way they have done an investigation in this short amount of time. At least not a good one anyway. More like called HR asked and that was it.

Auraela

Banned
Why would there be records of sexual conduct when if what said is true that they tried buying him out.

David said the next day he wasnt needed anymore n let go. That would be the record on file......

Naughty Dog has their own HR team, their own recruiting team, etc. Naughty Dog is an independent entity from Sony. When you're an employee at Naughty Dog, you rarely interface with Sony.

It's similar to imply that harassment at Bungie should be reported to Activision, or harassment at Riot Games reported to Tencent.

What? Naughty Dog is owned by Sony, Bungie is not owned by Activision. Not seeing the comparison here.

Feorax

Holy shit, what a fucking terrible statement.

Here, ND, let me do the "early statement on serious issue" thing for you:

- we've heard the allegations
- we've reached out to the victim
- we're looking into the matter

Here, done.

I honestly cannot believe how shitty this is.

Congratulations, you've just compromised any potential investigation.

What's more likely, someone is sexually harassed at Sony's premier studio so they decide to force silence inorder to keep their reputation intact, or the guy lied about the whole thing?

Honestly, the former, by far. So hopefully someone finds something soon.

Mattenth

What? Naughty Dog is owned by Sony, Bungie is not owned by Activision. Not seeing the comparison here.

That's just not how the corporate world works.

Parent companies don't deal with their subsidiary's HR problems.

That's what I don't get about this whole thing. Why is Sony relevant to an issue between Naughty Dog and an employee?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
He was fired after he complaint, so that complaint would still have been filed unless someone destroyed evidence or didn't record it to begin with.

As I had said originally. Destroying evidence is a natural next step from offering hush money which gets rejected.

Feorax

What's more likely, someone is sexually harassed at Sony's premier studio so they decide to force silence inorder to keep their reputation intact, or the guy lied about the whole thing?

Honestly, the former, by far. So hopefully someone finds something soon.

Unless you know the victim personally, how can you possibly know this?

GHG

Gold Member
Of course there’s no evidence. It’s been destroyed.

If Sony were offering hush money, destroying evidence is a logical next step.

I want to live in this fantasy world where it's like the TV shows and HR are frantically running around deleting files/shredding paper to destroy evidence in cases like this.

Some of my previous jobs would have been so much more exciting.

I don't think some of you realise the severity of the allegations you're making.

As I had said originally. Destroying evidence is a natural next step from offering hush money which gets rejected.

Do you understand what a severance payout is?

Bold One

Holy shit, what a fucking terrible statement.

Here, ND, let me do the "early statement on serious issue" thing for you:

- we've heard the allegations
- we've reached out to the victim
- we're looking into the matter

Here, done.

I honestly cannot believe how shitty this is.

No....just, no.

So much wrong with this, I know you were trying to sound clever and all but damn.

autoduelist

Stop with your childish condescending attitude. Everyone knows how the system is supposed to work, when the entire point of someone coming forward is that the system is flawed and broken. A statement that completely reads as legal corporate speak less than a day after someone that's been a victim for almost two years comes across as low and that they just want to get away from this.

Only if you come in with bias. If you read the statement at face value, written as a result of a direct accusation, it's a direct and to the point statement. Sure, it draws into question the accuser, but that will always be a problem any 'accuser' faces - you must defend yourself, and prove the allegation.

If they had said nothing, we'd just be getting those 'the silence is deafening' posts. We get a response, and it's also torn apart.

ND says they have no record of anything like this happening. That's easily explainable, and multiple possibilities have already been discussed here. Those calling it a $20k 'bribe' are simply unaware of how termination works in well paid positions in larger corporations [ie, it's standard].

Trogdor1123

Sound sorta like those standard "we investigated ourselves and didn't find any wrong doing" Statements you here from law enforcement after police misconduct.

If he did report it, Whether or not they have a record is going to come down to how they handled the report. If he notified a superior or HR in person, or via a phone call, it would be incredibly easy to fire him w/o a formal complaint being documented.

Hopefully there is some email correspondence directly related to the incident.

I hope there isn't myself and that it never happened at all but that's just me.

BaasRed

Banned
I didn't expect ND to directly challenge the claim. Whatever happens I hope the truth comes out. This world shouldn't have a place for sexual abusers.

I want to live in this fantasy world where it's like the TV shows and HR are frantically running around deleting files/shredding paper to destroy evidence in cases like this.

Some of my previous jobs would have been so much more exciting.

I don't think some of you realise the severity of the allegations you're making.

The real world is a lot more vile and evil than TV suggests.

DrKelpo

Banned
I don't believe the Ballard's allegations. Period.

If something offer you 20.000 for your silence and you say no, it's because you want to be heard or you want to take the case to a court (and get a sentence or more money).

Now, 17 months later and unemployed, you write on Twitter... sure.

they offer you this money, you decline it, because you'd basically put a price tag on your dignity. you had a mental breakdown shortly before and just try to get well again.
you probably know you don't have much hard evidence against the harasser and say nothing like so many victims do.
then 17 months later a lot of people go public with their story in the wake of the Weinstein scandal and you feel this is the time for you too.

My statement is nothing more than me saying that people are asking the company to open itself to liability. The same thing would occur if a person was accused and came with a by the numbers statement. People want more, but don't look at what the consequences of such a statement. Hopefully the documentation exists to substantiate his claims. If the claims are found not to be true, then hopefully the individual gets the assistance he needs.

PSOreo

This could blow back on them super hard if evidence turns up from the accuser. I hope they dug deep into their archives of HR before releasing this statement.

It'd just be really weird for a parent company to involve itself in a subsidiary in this way.

I agree it seems strange but I must admit I don't have any knowledge on how the structure works between ND and Sony. Ballard's claims seemed clear that Sony were the ones dealing with it and deciding to fire him though. I'd assume even if it weren't true he'd be aware of what the procedure was so that part must be accurate.

GHG

Gold Member
The real world is a lot more vile and evil than TV suggests.

I agree with you, but only because when it gets ugly real people's lives are being destroyed and you can see the genuine fear/panic on their faces. It's not just fantasy characters.

Occam

Some people in this thread are crazy. Do you actually believe there is a sinister criminal conspiracy at work here?

Top Bottom