• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An incorherant rant about microtransactions on full priced titles. [Forza 5]

Portugeezer

Might as well stick this here. Thanks to alr, LiquidRain and Longinus00 over on Something Awful for posting the following, which I will now shamelessly steal.

This is prices for Forza 5's car tokens for mainland Europe.
3kpWrB1.png

Here's how many tokens per Euro you'll get in each bundle:

Note that the recommended bundles are also the worst value, and despair,

Abysmal.

nib95

Banned
After learning a bit more about how Forza 5 works, I must say, they definitely have made some changes that are, without a doubt, designed to encourage people to buy cars with real money to the detriment of the game experience.

Seems like earning potential and car prices haven't changed. That's the good news.

But these few things all combine to make a pretty big and noticeable difference:

- No cars unlocked as you level. There is no logical, game-enhancing reason this was taken out. Its something that most everyone enjoyed. Some tweaks could have been to the 'progression' of cars you unlocked, but certainly no one wanted the whole system taken out.

- Manufacturer affinity is gone. This was something that also could have used some tweaking, but was otherwise a very good idea. Before, you could basically get free upgrades quite quickly. That could have used changing. It was definitely too quick. But again, people liked the system and it didn't warrant taking out. The fact that you can use tokens to buy upgrades now makes it blatantly obvious what the intentions were here.

- Free Play no longer allows you to drive any car in the game. Before, while some cars were quite expensive, it didn't stop people from the enjoyment of driving them if they wanted to. You just wouldn't own the car, couldn't customize it or race it in career. This was a fantastic compromise, as you could test drive anything you wanted and even if you couldn't afford an expensive car you really liked, you could still get to experience it out on-track. With that gone, it really pushes at the car collector types to pay real money.

- No buying/selling paints/setups/vinyls. You can still make some money off of this, but there will clearly not be any sort of ecosystem built around this like before. No reason for this to have happened. People *loved* the way it was.

- Buying cars and upgrades, the game definitely treats 'car tokens' as an equally viable way of bartering. Every step of the way, prices are given in credits and tokens, with equal font size and all, even going as far as having a little pop-up menu to 'confirm' whether you're going to buy with credits or tokens.

It all amounts to a blatant attempt at encouraging people to spend more money. All at the detriment of the game from several important angles.

So I was wrong here guys for defending this. I didn't realize it was going to be that bad. Its definitely not like previous Forza's at all and is totally shameful.

Pretty good little summary.

Vodh

According to that TB video some people estimate it would take 400-500 hours to unlock all the cars in the game.

On average it means what, 2-3 hours grind for a single car?

This is fucking preposterous and personally I think it's a way bigger deal than used games DRM. I remember 'time saver packs' in a few games before that, but it was a cheap pack for unlocks that didn't take long to get anyway so I just ignored that. But this is definitely getting out of control.

Top Bottom