• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Intro to Fountain Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
As promised, here are some thoughts on my Noodler's Neponset music nib pen, which I have had for about two weeks now. The music nib has always called to me, so when I chanced on two models of the Neponset on Pen Chalet (who I have come to like quite a bit! Free shipping over $50 and frequent 10% codes by email and when you order. Good sales, too!), I grabbed one. Unfortunately, the remaining models were, to put it lightly, THE UGLIEST PENS I HAVE EVER SEEN. Where the fuck was the plain black one???

Sold out, obviously. These things are hard to find! So...prepare yourself to gaze upon its...beauty?

hwKck3L.jpg

Yowza.

But check out the cool 3-tined nib! That's where your money is going.

Ooh! Some writing (embiggen to see some dramatic thicks and thins! I'm still learning to use my Neponset, and it takes a good deal of pressure at first, although that is loosening up a tad:

It may have looks only a mother could love, but I am prepared to be that mutha! This pen is just so fun to write with! Mine performs flawlessly, with no snags, splatters, scratching, or beautiful women interrupting my writing to ask about my gorgeous pen (usually a constant hazard). You want to fill it with an ink that will shade dramatically - an Iroshizuku like Momiji, maybe a Sailor Jentle Yama-dori, that Lamy Copper Orange (although it comes out very pink in my Lamy Ink Joy calligraphy pen. Waiting on a bottle to load into a wetter Parallel Pen). You might not find use for it every day, especially as people seem to prefer finer nibs, but for a dramatic signature or salutation on a letter, or hell, just for funsies, it's a lot of pen for under $70. A vintage music nib will cost way more and I saw reviews saying the performance here is about as good as it gets. So get on the waiiting list for an attractive model, or only use this one in private.

A unique, amazing pen that belongs in your collection.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
So what is the allure of dot graph paper? Is it mostly for people who draw?

I like it for science work - easy to add graphs and stuff - as well as for calligraphy practice. It provides more guidance for your vertical strokes, but without being as distracting as graph paper. It's kind of a nice compromise. I use it as my everyday paper.

For more finished stuff, I use blank pages - Rhodia R for letters, Tomoe River for calligraphy. I just use a guide sheet with lines/dots/graph squares underneath.

I like it for science work - easy to add graphs and stuff - as well as for calligraphy practice. It provides more guidance for your vertical strokes, but without being as distracting as graph paper. It's kind of a nice compromise. I use it as my everyday paper.

For more finished stuff, I use blank pages - Rhodia R for letters, Tomoe River for calligraphy. I just use a guide sheet with lines/dots/graph squares underneath.
That makes sense. I always saw it listed as "most versatile" when discussed but not much past that. Thanks!

Sera O

Banned
So I was intrigued when I found out there was a European special edition of Bloodborne that had a quill dip pen included. Given the intersection of interests between videogames and archaic writing technology in this thread, did anyone get that version and try it out? It looked to have more than one nib, too.

Maybe I want to hear it is completely lame so I don't feel I missed out! But really, that is a neat idea for a Special Edition, especially since leaving notes is a defining thing in the souls games. I like dip pens too so would have bought it if it were an option in North America.

So I was intrigued when I found out there was a European special edition of Bloodborne that had a quill dip pen included. Given the intersection of interests between videogames and archaic writing technology in this thread, did anyone get that version and try it out? It looked to have more than one nib, too.

Maybe I want to hear it is completely lame so I don't feel I missed out! But really, that is a neat idea for a Special Edition, especially since leaving notes is a defining thing in the souls games. I like dip pens too so would have bought it if it were an option in North America.
I didn't because it was Europe only but it did look interesting.

Does anyone have advice for a skipping safari? Since switching to the medium nib, it skips a lot. I just cleaned it for a new ink too.

WonderPup

So, my first fountain pen that I'll have to choose and buy ink for will arrive today. My job causes me to have to do a fair amount of writing. The only inks I'll be able to use, really, will be black (I might be able to pull off a very, very dark brown or navy blue).

What are my options as far as a durable black ink? Is Noodler's "black" the same as "bulletproof black"? And would anyone recommend it? What other options are out there?

If it matters, the pen is a TWSBI 580AL, and it uses a medium nib.

Pbae

So, my first fountain pen that I'll have to choose and buy ink for will arrive today. My job causes me to have to do a fair amount of writing. The only inks I'll be able to use, really, will be black (I might be able to pull off a very, very dark brown or navy blue).

What are my options as far as a durable black ink? Is Noodler's "black" the same as "bulletproof black"? And would anyone recommend it? What other options are out there?

That's a fantastic pen and the one I use.

I like the Sailor Jentle's line of ink as well as Pilots.

Right now I'm using the Yama-Dori from SJ and it's a pleasant dark teal that I think you could use for work. It's beautiful.

tr4656

Noodler's Bulletproof Black or Iroshizuku Shin-Kai (It is a bit expensive) would be my recommendations.

You could try using this tool: http://www.gouletpens.com/Interactive-Swab-Shop

Sera O

Banned
I didn't because it was Europe only but it did look interesting.

Does anyone have advice for a skipping safari? Since switching to the medium nib, it skips a lot. I just cleaned it for a new ink too.

Have you tried sliding the nib piece off again and flushing both the nib and feed with a bit of water? I guess it's possible a bit of debris got in while changing nibs. It can't hurt to reseat the nib and see if the flow improves.

Have you tried sliding the nib piece off again and flushing both the nib and feed with a bit of water? I guess it's possible a bit of debris got in while changing nibs. It can't hurt to reseat the nib and see if the flow improves.
I washed everything thoroughly before switching nibs/ink. I can do it again but I did just do all that.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
524iKka.jpg

I love this pen so damn much! I need to review a few new pens here, as promised.

This is sort of it for new pens for a while (pushing my luck with Mrs. Bagels - she was not as sold on my "but they are going out of production!!!!" defense as I had hoped). :)

Too hard to resist. Got this, a Pilot Metro, a bottle of ancient copper and Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Bordeaux. No Mrs. BorkBork to worry about (not anymore anyways ha!)

That is one sharp looking pen! Had to throw away a Sheaffer italic a couple of weeks ago, it became impossible to write with. It was only $5 but it was great, just half a hair thicker than my lamy 1.5 italic. Cruising through this thread always makes want to get another pen...

Has anyone here tried the J. Herbin Bleu Ocean with gold?

That is one sharp looking pen! Had to throw away a Sheaffer italic a couple of weeks ago, it became impossible to write with. It was only $5 but it was great, just half a hair thicker than my lamy 1.5 italic. Cruising through this thread always makes want to get another pen...

Has anyone here tried the J. Herbin Bleu Ocean with gold?
In still waiting for mass drop to figure out how to ship an item. But I'll let you know if it ever arrives. I've heard that has always been very well liked.

The notebooks are super nice. The paper is a completely different experience. Not sure if worth the money but still very nice.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Shitty phone pic, but figure I would share.

2lODSbwl.jpg

Happy with both pens :) Complements my LAMY Safari with a 1.1 italics nib well. I've been going ham writing on Hobonichi Tomoe River paper. No bleedthrough whatsoever.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Shitty phone pic, but figure I would share.

2lODSbwl.jpg

Happy with both pens :) Complements my LAMY Safari with a 1.1 italics nib well. I've been going ham writing on Hobonichi Tomoe River paper. No bleedthrough whatsoever.

Twins!

I love my TWSBI 580AL in limited edition copper orange! It reminds me of myself - beautiful, in limited supply, and available at a very reasonable price.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Ordered some Bleu Ocean samples. Expect a few review after I stain everything in my house with it.

tr4656

I just got this in today but the new black DotDash notebooks from Nock seems to be really awesome for fountain pens. it might become my new favorite pocket notebook as it doesn't seem to feather or bleed at all with fountain pen ink and is in that Field Notes size. They must have changed the paper from the yellow one because this one behaves much differently.

tr4656

These pens sound fun for southpaws... :/

I've seen left-handed people use them. Quicker drying ink on paper like Rhodias with a fine nib works great. A friend of mine uses Yama-Dori on his Rhodia with a F Metropolitan all the time.

tr4656

Tried some samples of J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary Bleu Ocean (new formula with sparklies!). I am in love.

(click to really see the gold! I wish it were easier to photograph.)

Very cool. On a related note, there is the J.Herbin 1670 deal going on Massdrop right now so might be a good idea to get some for anyone interested in getting a couple bottles of that ink.

Gorgeous pics, Bagels! I'm waiting to see if it clogs like the Rouge Hematite did before I buy a bottle. Hopefully it doesn't, this blue is my favorite out of the series. I wonder if anyone sells all three of them together...

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Gorgeous pics, Bagels! I'm waiting to see if it clogs like the Rouge Hematite did before I buy a bottle. Hopefully it doesn't, this blue is my favorite out of the series. I wonder if anyone sells all three of them together...

It should be fine. It's Stormy Grey with a new base color, and Stormy Grey has been just fine in all of my pens. I wish Rouge Hematite was not such a pain in the butt, but alas.

Very cool. On a related note, there is the J.Herbin 1670 deal going on Massdrop right now so might be a good idea to get some for anyone interested in getting a couple bottles of that ink.

I just looked, there's a three pack deal going right now for $60, Stormy Grey, Ocean Bleu and Rouge Hematite. Man, I'm so tempted, only four days left on the purchase. I don't really go through ink that fast though...

WonderPup

So I got the TWSBI 580AL in orange, and I love it. I use it for non-black inks, but decided that I needed a pen for work. Most of the writing there requires a black ink. So I just bought a Kaweco Skyline Sport Mint with an extra fine nib. I don't know which pen I like more. Probably both of them.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
So I got the TWSBI 580AL in orange, and I love it. I use it for non-black inks, but decided that I needed a pen for work. Most of the writing there requires a black ink. So I just bought a Kaweco Skyline Sport Mint with an extra fine nib. I don't know which pen I like more. Probably both of them.

I love the Kaweco Sport line! I have a clear orange one I carry as a pocket pen and I am so close to ordering another. My friend *loves* mint so I got her the same pen you picked up. I am so tempted to get one for myself...

The orange 580AL has quickly become a favorite pen for me, too! I'm so bummed that the other colors they offer don't look nearly as nice. Holding out hope for another cool limited edition color down the line!

Jetpens has TWSBI Vac 700s in stock now. I'm super tempted, but they don't have any color options. Does anyone have one and have any impressions?

Forgot to add that bottles of Lamy Copper Orange are back in stock at Jetpens and Goulet pens. I ordered from Pen Chalet at the end of March and finally asked them for an update. They said they are filling orders as the ink comes in from Germamy, but there are not many more planned shipments. So it sounds like you need to think about ordering soon if you want this beautiful orange ink. It goes for 10-12$ a bottle. That's a steal for such a gorgeous ink!

tr4656

I just looked, there's a three pack deal going right now for $60, Stormy Grey, Ocean Bleu and Rouge Hematite. Man, I'm so tempted, only four days left on the purchase. I don't really go through ink that fast though...

No one goes through ink fast. I have so many bottles in or on my desk. Just buy it.

Jetpens has TWSBI Vac 700s in stock now. I'm super tempted, but they don't have any color options. Does anyone have one and have any impressions?

The other colors got discontinued. I have one and it writes really well, just like other TWSBIs. The main thing is the vacuum filler, which is pretty cool and has a lot of capacity. It's just another really solid pen from TWSBI.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Loving the new Nockco. Fodderstock XL. I had it with me at the zoo and gardens and, being the huge nerd I am, I tried to snap a few not-terrible pictures.

The Fodderstock XL is designed to hold a pocket notebook or two (the original Fodderstock is notecard-sized).

I have a Field Notes Maine edition and a Field Notes Ambition in there right now. I'd stick my go-to Rhodia pocket notebooks in there, but I have actually run out!

It's the perfect size to hold two pocket notebooks and two fountain pens. I had my Pilot Metropolitan w/ Italic nib with J. Herbin Bleu Ocean and my trusty TWSBI 580 AL, in sadly discontinued orange, with Diamine Twilight. I took the TWSBI out at the gardens to see if I could get a butterfly to land on it, but they much preferred perching on my wife's head.

Then the fodderstock climbed this tree.

I was going to post more of a review, but there is not a ton to say. You'll know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for. I wanted something I could keep in my pants (or jacket) pocket with a slim wallet, and this is perfect. It feels wonderfully sturdy without being too heavy or bulky. It's a pleasing size to flip around in your hand when you should be working, and I'm actually glad I went with an understated color for the exterior (with an orange interior because I have decided to get everything in orange). It looks very professional and discrete. My other Nock case holds 5 or 6 pens and I'll put it in my bag if I'm going to be going somewhere where I have a lot of time to write. Day to day, though, I can make do with 2 pens, and a small notebook or two.

This is exactly what I was looking for and I think $17 is a very fair price considering the craftsmanship and the excellent materials.

tr4656

Very nice Fodderstack XL, you must of ordered pretty early because that color went out of stock quite fast. Did you not order the black Nock Co DotDash notebook?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Very nice Fodderstack XL, you must of ordered pretty early because that color went out of stock quite fast. Did you not order the black Nock Co DotDash notebook?

I didn't! The yellow cover ones are so disappointing, I decided to pass. But then I saw your post about them and now I wish I got a few. Ah well. Next time!

I just got the Pilot Plumix and I think I plugged the ink cartridge in right. Does it just take a while for the ink to get to the nib then?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

Bleu Ocean arrived today! When you get samples, they tend to be a little lighter on the gold. I give my bottles a good shake before I fill from them - you can get ridiculous amounts of gold in your pens. :D

Can't wait to start using my own bottle of this great ink!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I just bought one of the Nanami Seven Seas notebooks today. Heard it should be really good since it is just A5 size Tomoe River paper notebook but I'll post a review when I get it in the mail.

Nanami's Seven Seas Writer is my favorite notebook, easily beats out the Midori and Rhodia stuff for my personal tastes! There is an insane amount of pages stuffed into a fairly low profile book, the paper is the top notch Tomoe River, the stitching is fantastic, I even love the Buckram cover for its simplicity and strength. I wrote a full review on my (rarely updated) tumblr for pen stuff.

I especially love that it's the perfect size for a Hobonichi Cousin cover! I have a little stack on my desk with my SSW and Hobonichi A6 in their respective covers on my desk. :3

tr4656

Nanami's Seven Seas Writer is my favorite notebook, easily beats out the Midori and Rhodia stuff for my personal tastes! There is an insane amount of pages stuffed into a fairly low profile book, the paper is the top notch Tomoe River, the stitching is fantastic, I even love the Buckram cover for its simplicity and strength. I wrote a full review on my (rarely updated) tumblr for pen stuff.

I especially love that it's the perfect size for a Hobonichi Cousin cover! I have a little stack on my desk with my SSW and Hobonichi A6 in their respective covers on my desk. :3
Great to hear! Those covers are still elusive for me and the price for them is a bit much.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Amazon has still has a few out of production, special orange edition TWSBI Diamond 580 ALs! Get them while the gettin's good! I adore this pen. Such a looker! The balance is superb, it holds about 10 gallons of ink, and it writes like a dream. You can only post it in a really janky way, but that's the only downside I can see.

M nib

B nib

You can buy other nibs, I believe, if you really need an F.

51-oZkNO%2B0L._SL1024_.jpg

tr4656

Hate fountain pens, or any other type of pen that can be smudged after you've written something down.

If you are going to use ballpoint, at least use a Retro 51 or Karas Kustoms pen with the Schmidt P8126 or Easy Flow 9000 refill.

15% off everything (even specials) at pen chalet this weekend.

Code is MEMORIAL15

That's pretty good but I just bought a Model 66 Pocket Solid Ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom