• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf 2k20 Fountain pen thread (and ink, and paper, and more!)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Welcome to the Fountain Pen thread for 2020! These threads used to be a tradition before the split and I'm going to put this one up and see if we get some traction :)

d6e8d54cddb74418b416c03c5bd5df99.jpg

Why fountain pens?

Fountain pens write smoother and offer a bespoke writing experience: there's several types of nibs which change the way your writing looks and a lot of different inks making the act of writing an uniquely expression of your personality.

Rohrer-and-Klingner-ink-swatches.jpg

The paper you write on matters as much as your ink or your pen! The porous paper that is very common nowadays is unkind to the flowing fountain pen ink. For best results, and to avoid undesirable outcomes like bleeding or feathering look for paper advertised as "fountain pen friendly" or ask your fellow fountain pen users :)

16583500-1675486056094002-8780418401622294528-n.jpg

Finally a PSA - the Diamine 2019 inkvent calendar is almost sold out, you can still hunt a unit here and there and it's your last chance to grab the 25 unique, never before seen inks! Here's an overview of all 25 inks available in the calendar: https://www.mountainofink.com/blog/diamine-invent

fpn-1570024322-img-20191001-152155-271.jpg

DESTROYA

I consider these sort of a artistic tool like a paint brush, you need some art talent to make things look good.
Personally my writing isn’t the neatest and I have no artistic talent so these would be a waste for me but like art I do appreciate it

Kadayi

Banned
Being a Leftie these things are practically crucifixes. A good Fineliner though, that, that I can work with 🤔

Still, I can appreciate the delight such things entail.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I consider these sort of a artistic tool like a paint brush, you need some art talent to make things look good.
Personally my writing isn’t the neatest and I have no artistic talent so these would be a waste for me but like art I do appreciate it

It is true that they can be used artistically to great effect, but a good choice of nib and ink will yield good utilitarian performance. I use pens everyday for notetaking, etc...

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Should I try these as a writer? I've use my laptop a lot more often for that, but there are times where I just grap a cheap pen and a cheap pad paper and go write somewhere in the sunlight (especially in the summer, in the beach, for example).
Never really tried a fountain pen before.

epicnemesis

Being a Leftie these things are practically crucifixes. A good Fineliner though, that, that I can work with 🤔

Still, I can appreciate the delight such things entail.

These are the tools of the handist. I’m tired of the institutionalized handism that exists unnoticed in the world.
Fountain pens
Desks with only the right armrest
School scissors
Spiral notebooks
Pencils
Left to right languages (thanks western civilization!)

We, the original lefties, are being left behind in the right man’s world.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Should I try these as a writer? I've use my laptop a lot more often for that, but there are times where I just grap a cheap pen and a cheap pad paper and go write somewhere in the sunlight (especially in the summer, in the beach, for example).
Never really tried a fountain pen before.

Give it a whirl!

Before you buy one, ask yourself... how do you write? Is your script tiny and tight or large and loose? If your script is tight and pick a nib that writes very broadly, it will fill the spaces inside and in between your letters. If your script is loose and pick a nib that writes thin, your writing will lack presence. Usually the range goes from extra fine to fine to medium to broad but they're not standards, japanese pens like pilot tend to write thinner, european pens like lamy tend to write wider.

For the first pen you want a cartridge pen (less fuss than an integrated filling mechanism). Common recommendations for a starter pen are:

Pilot Kakuno (about 12 bucks) available in extra fine, fine and medium. The cheap one. Same nib as the Metropolitan. Bit cheapish looking but writes as good as the metropolitan.
Pilot Metropolitan (about 20 bucks) availabe in extra fine, medium. Available in many different colors and looks.
Lamy Safari (about 30 bucks) available in extra fine, fine and medium (although it writes chunkier than the metropolitans).

Whatever pen you pick should have at least one cartridge in the box to get you going.

As for paper, since you prefer pads, the Rhodia Dot Pad is a safe recommendation. However, feel free to look at alternatives.

Here's a handy guide on how to use a fountain pen. Remember you shouldn't barely press on the pen!

Feel free to ask any question!

Last edited:
I don't like fountain pens alas. I'm an artist with 0.05-0.35 nibs, but fountain pen lines deal in the requisite breadth it takes to make authentic cursive writing and that's not for me. For the record I, like many, tried the "silverpoint" dipping nib pens for my artworks, and on occasion trot out my old gear, but in general i very much prefer the minute details i can achieve with my felt tips. I'm very much a detail guy when it comes to drawing.

Nymphae

Banned
I was into them a few years ago, but ultimately they are more work and trouble than they are worth in my opinion. They look really nice, but I'd so much rather just use a modern pen with less hassle.

My preferred pocket pen is a Kaweco rollerball:

10000032-2.jpg

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I was into them a few years ago, but ultimately they are more work and trouble than they are worth in my opinion. They look really nice, but I'd so much rather just use a modern pen with less hassle.

My preferred pocket pen is a Kaweco rollerball:

10000032-2.jpg

There's definitely a hobbyist aspect to them that can be minimised if you stick to fine nibs and cartridges.

Nice one! Kawecos look great with the faceted cap. How's the rollerball?

Nymphae

Banned
Nice one! Kawecos look great with the faceted cap. How's the rollerball?

I love it, perfect size for a pocket pen and no worries about it poking your or anything, extends to a longer more comfortable size when cap is posted for writing.

The included Kaweco rollerball is super smooth, nice blue/black colour too, but I just replace them with black Parker refills because they're easier to get ahold of where I am. Wish I could easily find a red ink refill, I have a white Kaweco as well and I'd like to be able to carry a black and a red around but no one ever has red refills.

Hot damn a thread that speaks to me. I carry a Lammy 2000 (EF), Pilot Vanishing Point (F), and Kaweco al sport in brass (EF) as every day carry pens. I have had the same Lammy 2000 in my pocket for over two decades. The only downside to fountain pens is that people look at me strange in class and I use weighted Rhodia dot pad paper cause I am fancy.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hot damn a thread that speaks to me. I carry a Lammy 2000 (EF), Pilot Vanishing Point (F), and Kaweco al sport in brass (EF) as every day carry pens. I have had the same Lammy 2000 in my pocket for over two decades. The only downside to fountain pens is that people look at me strange in class and I use weighted Rhodia dot pad paper cause I am fancy.

Sweet pens! That lamy 2k... Me wants!

I run a TWSBI 580, a TWSBI vac 700, a kaweco sport AL in matte black and a pilot VP in matte black as well.

I would have preferred both the kaweco and the VP in a flashier look (brass kaweco!) but they're my office pens, unfortunately the TWSBIs were too on the nose.

Last edited:
The pilot
Sweet pens! That lamy 2k... Me wants!

I run a TWSBI 580, a TWSBI vac 700, a kaweco sport AL in matte black and a pilot VP in matte black as well.

I would have preferred both the kaweco and the VP in a flashier look (brass kaweco!) but they're my office pens, unfortunately the TWSBIs were too on the nose.

The Pilot VP in matte black is is freaking amazing. I feel dirty using cartridges with it but it goes through ink so quickly compared to the Lammy 2000 that it is easier to just throw carts in then try to refill it.

Nymphae

Banned
Has anyone ever tried a Uniball Jetstream ink pen? I'm not typically blown away by ink, but man those are the smoothest writing pens I've ever felt by a mile, this is the kind I have

57064.jpg

Nymphae

Banned
Hi-Tec Cs are amazing, I love the .3mm. For a while I was really into buying the finest writing pens I could find, I forget which one it is but I got one that I could write on grains of rice with.

Last edited:

kingbean

Haven't used those.

I've seen a lot of the pilot v5 hi-tecs. at work tho. They wrote fine and they even left an ink smudge if you touched the ink right after writing!

They're not amazing, but they feel good in my hand and I like how smooth the lines come out.

i love fountain pens. I have the pilot justus 95 fine, and pilot elabo soft extra fine. I am getting it modified for extra flex for the elabo, and extra flex plus extra fine for the justus 95 to make it write close to spencerian/copperplate but at the same time has modern flex for every day writing. If you guys are interested in classical vintage flex pens or calligraphy flex pens check out the link:

Nibs.com: Spencerian Customization

I also ordered a bluedew fountain pen with a zebra G nib look alike. I will let you guys know what I think when i recieve it. Here is the link:

BlueDew Fountain Pen

I am also a huge fan of montblanc 149 calligraphy fountain pen. It writes so amazing! However its close to $1000!!!.

I am modifying my pilot justus 95 and elabo to make it write like the montblanc calligraphy 149, i will see it goes. If you guys are interested in adding flex, sharpening or fixing fountain pens check out Michael Masuyma

Mike It Work: Michael Masuyama

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
i love fountain pens. I have the pilot justus 95 fine, and pilot elabo soft extra fine. I am getting it modified for extra flex for the elabo, and extra flex plus extra fine for the justus 95 to make it write close to spencerian/copperplate but at the same time has modern flex for every day writing. If you guys are interested in classical vintage flex pens or calligraphy flex pens check out the link:

Nibs.com: Spencerian Customization

I also ordered a bluedew fountain pen with a zebra G nib look alike. I will let you guys know what I think when i recieve it. Here is the link:

BlueDew Fountain Pen

I am also a huge fan of montblanc 149 calligraphy fountain pen. It writes so amazing! However its close to $1000!!!.

I am modifying my pilot justus 95 and elabo to make it write like the montblanc calligraphy 149, i will see it goes. If you guys are interested in adding flex, sharpening or fixing fountain pens check out Michael Masuyma

Mike It Work: Michael Masuyama

Ohhh nice! You’re getting into the flex side of things. It looks so cool but the practice required for Spencerian… and yeah that montblanc calligraphy is drool worthy. Hope you post some demos!

I use these days a lamy 2000 and a pilot vanishing point. When I fancy some line variation I have a vac700r with a stub.

Ohhh nice! You’re getting into the flex side of things. It looks so cool but the practice required for Spencerian… and yeah that montblanc calligraphy is drool worthy. Hope you post some demos!

I use these days a lamy 2000 and a pilot vanishing point. When I fancy some line variation I have a vac700r with a stub.

Yes I love line variation flexible nibs. The pilot justus 95 is considered a semi flex, and but to me- its not that flexible, thats why i am having it modified. I am pretty good at Spenserian and will definitely post a sample. Check out the writing sample of Montblanc 149 calligraphy i found on the internet. Just gorgeous!
z4v4XaW.jpg

Forsete

Gold Member
I love fountain pens. Currently using a Lamy Al-Star with a converter loaded with Lamy Turquoise.

I also have a Pelikan Souverän M800 which is beautiful and a Montblanc 146 which I got at a very good price because it had a scratch on it. The scratch was easily removed with toothpaste. :messenger_kissing_smiling:

I have this cool IR photo. The most transparent looking pen is the 146.
T1fnNWa.jpg

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I love fountain pens. Currently using a Lamy Al-Star with a converter loaded with Lamy Turquoise.

I also have a Pelikan Souverän M800 which is beautiful and a Montblanc 146 which I got at a very good price because it had a scratch on it. The scratch was easily removed with toothpaste. :messenger_kissing_smiling:

I have this cool IR photo. The most transparent looking pen is the 146.
T1fnNWa.jpg

Nice bird that M800! How’s the nib, stiff or has some give?

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Thread necros make me realize how many good forum personalities have been banned :(

I do miss some as well.

However I don’t agree that this is a necro, community threads have a certain ebb and flow.

While you are here, are you interested in the topic at hand? 😊

epicnemesis

I do miss some as well.

However I don’t agree that this is a necro, community threads have a certain ebb and flow.

While you are here, are you interested in the topic at hand? 😊
I’m unchanged from a year ago. Systemic handism is real.
These are the tools of the handist. I’m tired of the institutionalized handism that exists unnoticed in the world.
Fountain pens
Desks with only the right armrest
School scissors
Spiral notebooks
Pencils
Left to right languages (thanks western civilization!)

We, the original lefties, are being left behind in the right man’s world.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I’m unchanged from a year ago. Systemic handism is real.

I would hope to relieve you from the heel of systematic handism!

Fast drying inks exist, noodler's has the Bernanke series - bernanke blue has been found to dry in under 5 secons in printer paper!

x14951603114-e73ac6ffac-k-1038x576-jpg-pagespeed-ic-A2ejlh5jk-X.webp

Sailor-Fude-de-Mannen-Fountain-Pen-Green-1.jpg

I bought this some time ago, haven't used it much at all. My favourite pen hands down is BiC orange fine.

That looks like a sailor fude, don't they give you two different line widths? I never used one - how is it?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I’m just getting into fountain pens. Currently I’m using the Pilot Varsity and the Platinum Preppy.

I am patiently waiting for my Lamy Safari to arrive next week.
FP-safari-family-2.png

I’ve got a bottle of Noodlers Bulletproof black already. This is will be my everyday ink for writing.
2195ee2e-2818-4d3c-be0c-2a3df23e6e96_1.48c928edcf6661cb6c6f600227f323de.jpeg

Also picked up a Diamine earl grey.
130806.jpg

Any recommendations on a blue ink for sketching? The goal would be to finish in black so the blue ink sort of goes into the background.

Top Bottom