• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fountain Pens 2k16

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, I'd subscribe for a paper/pen thread in a heartbeat. Never dared using fountain pens – one day, though, one day.

Bought some cheap fountain pens from Daiso today.

Less than $1 each, comes with 2 cartridges.
oo6vySF.jpg

TQai2Ee.jpg

The nibs give a decent line, and are much wetter and broader than my Lamy EF. But they require a small amount of pressure to write. It almost feels like a ballpoint pen because you just don't get any ink out unless you press down. The nib says 'iridium' on it but who knows.

The cap has a spring in it that seals the nib to keep it from drying out. The ink feathers a lot even on good paper. If I can find a converter that fits this pen I'll try it with some better ink, it's hard to judge the pen at all because of how watery the ink is.

Still, pretty fun to get 4 pens for $4.

I just ordered a Metropolitan as my first fountain pen. Looking forward to trying it out and then dipping (huehuehu) into some of the prettier inks around. Not quite sure where to get appropriate paper yet here in Sweden, but worst case scenario I'm sure its easy enough to order some Tomoe River online.

boxoctosis

I have 3! - orange, purple, and the 580 RB limited edition one. Lovely pens, even if they are prone to break - the plastic seems brittle, and I've had an old 580RB's piston twister snap off on me. But still, lovely pens, doubly so considering the cost.

Went to the stationary store today to see their fountain pens. They had Lamy Al-Stars and some Parker fountain pens that didn't appeal to me. They also sold platinum preppys and then these:

08e1qgs.jpg

Monami Olika. I got a blue one and a black one. They come with 3 cartridges and cost about $2.50.

I don't know how they compare to preppys but it is a much better pen than the Daiso ones that I posted earlier. They're not as smooth as my Lamy Safari but they don't have any flow issues, have a fairly generous sweet spot, and the ink is decent. Seems like a pretty decent entry pen for someone who didn't want to spend much money to try out fountain pens.

---
Edit: After using it for another 20 minutes, the ink got really wet and bleeds all over the place, just like the daiso one. Disappointing, it was pretty nice at first. Tons of feathering on leuchtturm1917 paper:

o5zmEIc.jpg

---

In other news, I got a bottle of Iroshizuku kon peki and a Pilot Metro. Also got a Pilot Metro for my dad.

I think I'm going to pick up a demonstrator next. Seems like the TWSBI Eco is pretty popular around these parts.

depths20XX

Another evidence that we are a cool bunch of people.
Enemykite (also known as Dave Snider of Giant Bomb fame) posted this on the fountain pen subreddit:
vkuy9it4zwfizwfnew9piv9o46.jpg

"Had fun drawing this for a DnD game I manage. Eco medium with Noodler Black and some pencil shading." - Enemykite

Not really sure why he used a fountain pen for that but errrrkay.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Starting work on a new all purpose pen/paper/ink thread!

Please let me know if there are topics you want to see covered in more detail! The OP is going to be a condensed overview of EVERYTHING, which will be tough. It will help if you let me know what will help the most! Good starter choices? The benefits of each category (ballpoint vs. gel vs fountain pen)? Personal favorites? More pics and recommendations than history of each thing? What do you want from me??? Is one megathread a good idea?

In the meantime, how great is the Mitsubishi Boxy 100?

Designed in 1975 and unchanged since! Reminds me on the 1976 Lotus Espirit, with its "folded paper" design!

I guess it's is a Japanese equivalent of the Bic Cristals and Papermates clogging our supply closets in US businesses. But these write really well and look GREAT!

I sent out an email to give some away at work and they got snapped up FAST. Time to order more.

Nopren

Hey Bagel.
Would it be fun for your new thread to maybe have a collection of us ink-gaffers? Kinda like a wall-of-shame, but with pictures of our usernames written individually by each user in their favourite ink/pen combo.

I think a coverall of inks would be fun. I have found some great brands in these threads. Might be nice to have a summary. Some links to supplies etc. Favourite colours etc.

Don't talk to me or my sons ever again
2MQiKKv.jpg

Anyway my Metropolitan finally came in. I ordered the turquoise one because I know if I don't force myself to get something interesting I will just end up with a bunch of grey and black pens. It's a lot heavier/more substantial than I expected. Way heftier than my Safari. I'm loving it so far. Can't find any faults in it, which is surprising for such an inexpensive thing. The machining is great, all of the little details look nice, everything fits together pleasantly and it's very well balanced when posted.

I got a medium nib, compared to the Lamy EF. Feels great.

4Tran

I just got in a couple of bottles of Iroshizuku. This is probably my favorite line of inks - they work great on almost every paper, they're not finicky, and they look beautiful. My favorites so far have been Kon-Peki, Tsuki-Yo, and Yama-Budo. The only ink that really compares to them is Aurora Black, but that ink is pretty darned legendary.

Anyway my Metropolitan finally came in. I ordered the turquoise one because I know if I don't force myself to get something interesting I will just end up with a bunch of grey and black pens. It's a lot heavier/more substantial than I expected. Way heftier than my Safari. I'm loving it so far. Can't find any faults in it, which is surprising for such an inexpensive thing. The machining is great, all of the little details look nice, everything fits together pleasantly and it's very well balanced when posted.

I got a medium nib, compared to the Lamy EF. Feels great.
It's been said that Pilot could probably get away with doubling the price of the Metro in North America. Heck, it costs about 4000 yen in Japan.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I just wanted to say I'm liking the lamy steel bold nib a lot - juicy, nice even lines and the feed on my al-star keeps up wonderfully.

the_id

I've just noticed this thread. Never thought that there would be a fountain pen thread on GAF.

I'm a big fountain pen nerd and collect quote a few. My enjoy the big pens as they're actually more comfortable to me than a normal sized pen. My favorite inks have to be the pilot iroshizuku series of inks. Kon-peki is my favourite.

Here's my current collection:

From left to right:
Visconti Carbon Dream
Sailor King of Pen
Visconti Opera Master Clear Demonstrator
Namiki Emperor
Namiki Yukari Royale
Visconti Australis
OMAS vintage paragon
Montblanc 144 Signature for Good series

Been a while since I last posted here but I wanted to give you guys an update, given the help you gave me. In the end I went with a TWSBI Eco F and Jet Black Diamine ink and I'm super-happy with it. Writes like a dream and it looks awesome. The only downside is that I'm now considering getting another Eco or a Lamy so I can ink it in a different color. Slippery-slope right there :D

A quick question if I may: The first time I filled up the TWSBI I didn't put that much ink into it. Can I top it up while there's still ink inside? If so, any special considerations? Thanks for all the help.

boxoctosis

Been a while since I last posted here but I wanted to give you guys an update, given the help you gave me. In the end I went with a TWSBI Eco F and Jet Black Diamine ink and I'm super-happy with it. Writes like a dream and it looks awesome. The only downside is that I'm now considering getting another Eco or a Lamy so I can ink it in a different color. Slippery-slope right there :D

A quick question if I may: The first time I filled up the TWSBI I didn't put that much ink into it. Can I top it up while there's still ink inside? If so, any special considerations? Thanks for all the help.

Yeah - just put the nib in the bottle, and expel the ink / refill the barrel - it's not so much topping up as emptying and then refilling.

Then you should take a look at the TWSBI 580RB, or 700 Vac, or y'know, some other pens, and buy some more ;)

Yeah - just put the nib in the bottle, and expel the ink / refill the barrel - it's not so much topping up as emptying and then refilling.

Then you should take a look at the TWSBI 580RB, or 700 Vac, or y'know, some other pens, and buy some more ;)

Cheers :). That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure just in case

Enjoy those Iros! Syo-Ro is especially gorgeous, I can't get enough of it.
I'm loving Syo-Ro. The other colors are good but Kon-Peki and Syo-Ro are my favorites.

It's been said that Pilot could probably get away with doubling the price of the Metro in North America. Heck, it costs about 4000 yen in Japan.
Yeah, I actually imported mine from American Amazon.com because it was cheaper that way than buying it locally, even after shipping.
Here's my current collection:
Those are some beautiful pens. I love those Namikis.

Maybe I can get some help here. Yesterday I bought a converter for Waterman fountain pens from Amazon (amazon itself, not a third party seller). This is what I just got:

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/QMhaaze.jpg[/img]

Ten of them, while I just needed one. Is this how they are supposed to be sold or did somebody just made a massive mistake? I'm trying to get some info before contacting amazon.

magnetic

MEwUDO4.jpg

I have to say, I used to associate fountain pens with noble, glossy, black, expensive Mont Blancs, but I´m starting to really enjoy looking at these plasticky transparent japanese pens. It´s such an interesting contrast to have this ancient writing instrument looking like a "PLAY IT LOUD"-era Gameboy. It´s oddly compelling, but maybe I just really love japanese designs and packaging.

I also really want this Rotring pen. I have two of their biro pens in a similar design, but after using a fountain pen for a few days I just can´t go back. I love the harsh, industrial look. Reminds me of mid century modern.

I´m not really picky with paper and ink, though. I love just doodling on photocopy paper. (I´m still traumatized from buying super expensive sketchbooks and then never sketching anything because I don´t want to waste my expensive pages!)

boxoctosis

Maybe I can get some help here. Yesterday I bought a converter for Waterman fountain pens from Amazon (amazon itself, not a third party seller). This is what I just got:

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/QMhaaze.jpg[/img]

Ten of them, while I just needed one. Is this how they are supposed to be sold or did somebody just made a massive mistake? I'm trying to get some info before contacting amazon.

They've always been sold in 1s when I buy them. £7 a pop or so. How much did you pay for ten?

And if you are UK based, I'll buy a couple off you if you want!

They've always been sold in 1s when I buy them. £7 a pop or so. How much did you pay for ten?

And if you are UK based, I'll buy a couple off you if you want!

I paid 8'82€ for one at amazon.es, and the surprise when i opened the package was considerable. I wanted to confirm that this was a mistake before contacting them to return the other 9. I don't to feel like a thief and so far, i have a good relationship with the store.

the_id

Wow. Some expensive pens right there! Lovely set.
Thank you. I should do some reviews on these pens so I can share my thoughts on them.
Those are some beautiful pens. I love those Namikis.
The Emperor, although large probably is the best out of all these pens. The Namikis probably have the smoothest nibs from out of them all. The Urushi lacquer on these pens are flawless you'd think it was machine painted.

Worst part of living in Arizona is accidently leaving my pen in the car while I go into a place for lunch and coming out and my ink has completely dried...

The heat it is horrible.

Where is the new thread Bagels?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Worst part of living in Arizona is accidently leaving my pen in the car while I go into a place for lunch and coming out and my ink has completely dried...

The heat it is horrible.

Where is the new thread Bagels?

I was just looking at my notes! I'll hopefully have some time this weekend to finish it up!

I finally got a bottle of black ink and a converter after I ruined two cartridges while trying to insert them into my Lamy AL-star.

4Tran

Just acquired a TWISBI vac700r in 1.1 stub.

Gorgeous stuff and the line variation is so cool.

My two TWISBIs in their travel gear:
That's so pretty. I was thinking about either picking up a VAC700R or a replacement Eco. I think that I'd go with the Eco since I already have a vac-filler and I don't have any piston fillers.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
That's so pretty. I was thinking about either picking up a VAC700R or a replacement Eco. I think that I'd go with the Eco since I already have a vac-filler and I don't have any piston fillers.

Variety is the spice of life... I went into the shop to buy another 580... :D

EDIT: that stub lays down a lot of ink... i can notice the ink level dropping after a minute or two of writing... I'm gonna have to learn to get full fills on that vac700...

4Tran

Hah, I lied! I went and got a Lamy 2000 instead. That's a piston-filler so it sort of counts as an Eco, right?

Variety is the spice of life... I went into the shop to buy another 580... :D

EDIT: that stub lays down a lot of ink... i can notice the ink level dropping after a minute or two of writing... I'm gonna have to learn to get full fills on that vac700...
Does it really make that much difference? My old Eco had a 1.1mm stub as well and I never noticed it using up ink all that much. Then again, I do cycle through my pens a lot, 4-7 pens a day, so I don't write with just one for any length of time. It seemed to go through ink at the same rate as a Plumix, and that's not too far from my Metropolitan.

That reminds me, I've been using a Plumix, a Metropolitan, a Kakuno, and a Vanishing Point today, and they're all even using Pilot inks except for the Plumix. I don't know if this means that I own a lot of Pilot gear or if Pilot owns me...

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hah, I lied! I went and got a Lamy 2000 instead. That's a piston-filler so it sort of counts as an Eco, right?

Does it really make that much difference? My old Eco had a 1.1mm stub as well and I never noticed it using up ink all that much. Then again, I do cycle through my pens a lot, 4-7 pens a day, so I don't write with just one for any length of time. It seemed to go through ink at the same rate as a Plumix, and that's not too far from my Metropolitan.

That reminds me, I've been using a Plumix, a Metropolitan, a Kakuno, and a Vanishing Point today, and they're all even using Pilot inks except for the Plumix. I don't know if this means that I own a lot of Pilot gear or if Pilot owns me...

My other TWSBI is a medium and there's a difference.

I might notice it more since I just use those two pens.

4Tran

I've been trying out some old school pens with a Parker Reflex from the 2000s and a Sheaffer No Nonsense that's probably from the '90s. The Reflex has a nib that dries way too easily so I retired it right away. The No Nonsense has a sensitive nib, but it's a reliable writer that's pretty pleasant to use. I don't have a converter for it, but refilling cartridges works pretty well for it.

I really want a ystudio Portable Fountain Pen but that price...
Is it for the looks or because you want to write with it? I find that the Jinhao X450 is a bit too heavy to use comfortably, and that pen weighs 45g vs. this one at 72g. If you just want a nifty portable pen, you can get something like an Ohto Rook. They're cheap too!

My other TWSBI is a medium and there's a difference.

I might notice it more since I just use those two pens.
Yeah, I figure that pen rotation is going to be a big factor. I use so many pens that it takes forever for them to run out. (And when they do, I end up having to clean and refill 5-6 pens at a time.)

Is it for the looks or because you want to write with it? I find that the Jinhao X450 is a bit too heavy to use comfortably, and that pen weighs 45g vs. this one at 72g. If you just want a nifty portable pen, you can get something like an Ohto Rook. They're cheap too!
A large part of it is definitely the look. I've been looking around a bit and nothing else has really appealed to me like the ystudio, expect for the Pilot Capless but they are even more expensive. I want something that obviously performs well but also looks and feels good too. The weight of the pen doesn't bother me too much as with light pens I often write a little bit too fast which results in some messy writing.

4Tran

A large part of it is definitely the look. I've been looking around a bit and nothing else has really appealed to me like the ystudio, expect for the Pilot Capless but they are even more expensive. I want something that obviously performs well but also looks and feels good too. The weight of the pen doesn't bother me too much as with light pens I often write a little bit too fast which results in some messy writing.
Is the Capless more expensive? If you're in North America, you can get either the Capless/Vanishing Point or the Decimo for around $140 or less on Amazon. It should be around the same in Asia, although I know that Pilot pens can get really expensive in Europe. These are great pens and they're time tested. I like mine a lot even though I have a slight preference for more conventional pens. They're also decently priced for entry level gold nib pens. The only caveat is that the clip is right where you hold the pen so if you don't have a standard grip, you might want to try it out before buying.

I'd suggest the same thing of the ystudio - it's awfully expensive for what you're paying for, and 72g is no joke even if you do like heavier pens. You really should try out any pens that weigh more than 50g before buying them. Another problem with boutique pens is that if they don't use the standard Bock/Jowo nibs it's going to be hard to know how well they write so it's even more important to try it out.

Is the Capless more expensive? If you're in North America, you can get either the Capless/Vanishing Point or the Decimo for around $140 or less on Amazon. It should be around the same in Asia, although I know that Pilot pens can get really expensive in Europe. These are great pens and they're time tested. I like mine a lot even though I have a slight preference for more conventional pens. They're also decently priced for entry level gold nib pens. The only caveat is that the clip is right where you hold the pen so if you don't have a standard grip, you might want to try it out before buying.

I'd suggest the same thing of the ystudio - it's awfully expensive for what you're paying for, and 72g is no joke even if you do like heavier pens. You really should try out any pens that weigh more than 50g before buying them. Another problem with boutique pens is that if they don't use the standard Bock/Jowo nibs it's going to be hard to know how well they write so it's even more important to try it out.
Unfortunately I'm in the UK and the Capless is £145 (around $185). I'll likely try and find somewhere I can give one a go, as the more I've looked into the Capless the more I want it. If I go ahead and get one I'll likely wait for a good deal. Thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom