• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analogue NT ($500 HDMI NES) is real, first gameplay video

What's the point of 8GB of RAM when 4 is usually enough? What's the point of a GTX 980 when a 750 can run most games? What's the point of 1080 when 720 looks pretty much the same at a certain distance?

All of those are much more noticable in performance and quality versus bringing actual NES visual quality up to par with that of an emulator

It definitely won't.

Good, I'm glad.

Maybe if they ever drop to ~$200 CAD I'll get one just to have.

500 would only be acceptable if it was like the Retcon and supported multiple systems.

500 just to play 30 year old games from one system is tooooooo steep

SerTapTap

I'd be very interested in this if it were SNES, HDMI were included (c'mon bruh), maybe couple hundred bucks cheaper, maybe had it's own extremely high quality controller. Its' getting hard to get retro controllers that don't have permanent greasy grossness going on.

That motherboard is LOVELY though. It should have a clear case, it looks way better than the console.

If you want to call this the best way to play an NES in HD, that's fine. But don't call it "the most authentic" way to play an NES. The most authentic way is to play a real NES on a real CRT. (And you can do that for less than $500.)

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
What's the point of 8GB of RAM when 4 is usually enough? What's the point of a GTX 980 when a 750 can run most games? What's the point of 1080 when 720 looks pretty much the same at a certain distance?

Oh no, what have you done

0mCnSWj.gif

Chittagong

Gold Member
No Analog to Digitial conversion seems pretty insane. Grabbing the digital straight from the system before its converted to analog is really rad.

This should be basically equivalent quality to what a perfect emulator would output, just using real hardware yes?

That is crazy if true. This project has been a farce for the last year, so it actually turning out *better* than expected is mindblowing.

Timu

If you want to call this the best way to play an NES in HD, that's fine. But don't call it "the most authentic" way to play an NES. The most authentic way is to play a real NES on a real CRT. (And you can do that for less than $500.)
But if you want RGB for it you'll need hundreds of bucks!!!

It's largely about catering to the most authentic possible experience possible in the contemporary home cinema.

Of course, the most authentic way would be on the stations that the actual developers used for testing, as they did their coding and designing to target the most pleasing visuals on those screens and hardware.

The eight-bit era utilized graphics that were specifically designed for output on interlaced standard-definition CRTs and some games specifically used artifacts like color bleeding and dot crawl by design to present a specific look. Sometimes even using RGB instead of composite will negate the original intent.

(ducks and runs)

Framemeister can be a bit of a pain in the ass though. I have it, and I feel like I'm constantly fiddling as I move between machines.

This is a luxury good no doubt, but I'm interested in it because of the convenience and it seems to do the job really well...
Yeah, it's definitely a somewhat-impenetrable PITA at times. The appeal of this thing can't be denied, doesn't hurt that it's so pretty either.
Fact of the matter is, it is better than using a Framemeister.
This is because the Analogue Nt uses a method developed by Kevtris to output a digital image that is 1080p.
The Framemeister takes an analogue picture and upscales it, thus adding 20ms of lag.
When done digitally however, there is absolutely no lag.
It's kind of like the NES had its cpu and ppu supercharged.

Check out Kevtris' YouTube channel for more details.
https://m.youtube.com/user/kevtris?
Will do, thanks for the link and info!
A friend and I are working on a massive comparison video showcasing the Analogue NT against various other RGB Nes solutions also planning to show all of the various output options on the Analogue. Hopefully we'all have something soon!
OH BOY! My frothing demand increases...

Syriel

It's for people that want the most authentic and best possible NES gaming experience possible, at any cost.

In other words, the potential customer base numbers in the hundreds... perhaps thousands if they're lucky.

Ugh, why does this default to square pixels?

You think an enthusiast device would output he proper aspect ratio.

If the Analogue NT is outputting square pixels, then it is nowhere near "the most authentic and best."

That's like taking a widescreen movie and chopping off the sides to "get rid of the black bars."

Zaptruder

Banned
If the Analogue NT is outputting square pixels, then it is nowhere near "the most authentic and best."

That's like taking a widescreen movie and chopping off the sides to "get rid of the black bars."

Put them in quote marks.

Of course we can have semantic quibbling about what's authentic and best in NES terms - but mainly I use it in the sense that it's authentic because it's running on 8 bit hardware that runs the code with 100% accuracy, and it's best because it provides the user with the clearest picture of that 8 bit output.

Others will dispute that notion, and they're free to - they won't be the consumers for this device.

It's also why such a device has such a very limited market... and is mostly a curiosity for the rest of us who don't value 100% accuracy in nes software, nor 100% accurate output of the information rendered by the nes software.

Syriel

It's also why such a device has such a very limited market... and is mostly a curiosity for the rest of us who don't value 100% accuracy in nes software, nor 100% accurate output of the information rendered by the nes software.

That's kind of the point. If you value "100% accuracy in nes software" and "100% accurate output of the information rendered" then you are NOT going to drop a few hundred on a device that distorts the output and displays square pixels rather than displaying the image in its original aspect ratio.

People who care about accuracy want accuracy.

dhonk

Seems cool, but to me who is not a huge NES fan, Id rather spend the money on a Framemeister that will upscale all my systems instead. I can just get an NESRGB mod if I want crisp NES. The differences between the output of that, and their custom HDMI out is too small a difference for me at least.

For NES freaks? Its a no brainer if they have cash to spare.

No Analog to Digitial conversion seems pretty insane. Grabbing the digital straight from the system before its converted to analog is really rad.

This should be basically equivalent quality to what a perfect emulator would output, just using real hardware yes?

Game Tech US is gearing up to do mods for actual NES/Famicom to output digital direct via HDMI. They showed a couple youtube videos of it late last year (explaination, direct capture).

Should be quite a bit cheaper and more "authentic." Analogue's clone system looks pretty cool though.

Lynd7

There's a guy over on Nintendo Age, Bunnyboy, who has been working on his own NES system that will have HD out etc. I'd rather keep waiting and watching that over this.

I'm not big enough into the NES to buy either though.

RetroReid

A friend and I are working on a massive comparison video showcasing the Analogue NT against various other RGB Nes solutions also planning to show all of the various output options on the Analogue. Hopefully we'all have something soon!

This is literally what everyone wants!
Some concrete proof of what method is the best.
I think a lot of people will appreciate you doing this.
Could you post here once it's done? Thanks!

Khaz

Don't forget that unless you are playing on a CRT, your display will induce lag. And light guns and 3D glasses won't work no matter what.

Zaptruder

Banned
That's kind of the point. If you value "100% accuracy in nes software" and "100% accurate output of the information rendered" then you are NOT going to drop a few hundred on a device that distorts the output and displays square pixels rather than displaying the image in its original aspect ratio.

Oh... you guys are talking about 3:2 vs 1:1 aspect pixels. Yeah, I kinda missed that given how little I actually care about accurate NES emulation. I was only diagnosing the mental condition that might lead one to make such a purchase.

I thought you were referring to pixel perfect output as somehow less accurate than CRT fuzzing and other kinds of artifacts that these games would've appeared with in their time.

This thing will be under HEAVY scrutiny from enthusiasts. I'm looking forward to the insanely nit-picky reviews. Doubt it will replace the real thing, but we'll see.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So I'll have video to come soon but there appears to be an issue with RGB output - it's missing necessary resistors in the cable resulting in an overly bright image. BNC cables also appear too bright but it's not possible to include an in-line resistor there so it would have to be on the system side. Component is your best bet for analog output right now.

There are other issues with the console that we'll get to as well that are a bit unexpected.

The NES was my first entry to gaming and I am almost willing to splurge this amount of cash for this. However I doubt it will be possible to buy this from Europe in a reasonable way for the same price as the US (we tax imported products as much as 25% in Norway). Despite many good memories with the SNES (better quality games), the NES has such a big place in my heart. It made life more bearable and got my imagination expanded. Eager to read reviews when this thing releases.

RetroReid

So I'll have video to come soon but there appears to be an issue with RGB output - it's missing necessary resistors in the cable resulting in an overly bright image. BNC cables also appear too bright but it's not possible to include an in-line resistor there so it would have to be on the system side. Component is your best bet for analog output right now.

There are other issues with the console that we'll get to as well that are a bit unexpected.

This is very worrying.
It seems the Japanese twitter user KAPPY was attempting to fix this issue.
Check out this post: https://twitter.com/KAPPY_2164/status/616608591919722496
He soldered on unshielded wire with some resistors, most likely to make the image less bright.

Now my question is, is this much of an issue for Sony PVM owners like me who can just turn the brightness knob down?

dark10x

This is very worrying.
It seems the Japanese twitter user KAPPY was attempting to fix this issue.
Check out this post: https://twitter.com/KAPPY_2164/status/616608591919722496
He soldered on unshielded wire with some resistors, most likely to make the image less bright.

Now my question is, is this much of an issue for Sony PVM owners like me who can just turn the brightness knob down?
Yes, the friend I'm working with on this is also doing surgery on the cable. He's using a PVM. Simply turning down the brightness doesn't seem to be enough.

RetroReid

Yes, the friend I'm working with on this is also doing surgery on the cable. He's using a PVM. Simply turning down the brightness doesn't seem to be enough.

Holy crud, that's terrible...
I'm pissed at Analogue for making such a huge oversight.
Can you tell us about the other problems before you post the video?
Some of us have been waiting a very very long time for this information.
You can save the in-depth info for the video.
Thanks for putting in the effort man.

dark10x

Holy crud, that's terrible...
I'm pissed at Analogue for making such a huge oversight.
Can you tell us about the other problems before you post the video?
Some of us have been waiting a very very long time for this information.
You can save the in-depth info for the video.
Thanks for putting in the effort man.
Well, one of the main issues is that the aluminum cartridge slot can scratch cartridge plastic. For collectors, this is a big deal. Not sure to what extent it's and issue yet, though, but it's something to consider.

Timu

Well, one of the main issues is that the aluminum cartridge slot can scratch cartridge plastic. For collectors, this is a big deal. Not sure to what extent it's and issue yet, though, but it's something to consider.
That's insane.

onken

This a joke right?

fvng

Those are great questions. 1080 is pointless at a certain distance to be honest.

Why is this device a better option than emulation when only considering visual fidelity?

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Those fake scanlines are shit.

Yep! Not a fan of that filter at all...

I think I'll be sticking with my NES/Famicom + Sony BVM combo, but I am interested to see the in depth analysis videos/posts that'll surely be coming out. I kind of hope Phonedork does something on it.

And those people will hopefully actually watch the example videos which show how you can easily stretch the pixels to be 100% accurate using the built-in menu. I think the issue is that those "square pixels" would be rendered as 4:3 pixels on an actual CRT display by the display itself, so they didn't change the default video output.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

lol, that is horrible...

SegaShack

Buy a Sony PVM and RGB mod your NES, it'll cost you less, look better, and be a great set up for other old hardware.

Three

Is there a lot of space or is it tight, can some rubber fix this?

I made one of those Nintoasters when AVGN received one. I took trial and error (two bricked NESes) to make one that is perfect. I'll keep this in mind since it looks like shit on my 4k TV.

Decider

$500 doesn't buy much quality control, then. Will you have photos of this happening? It seems like a really basic oversight and one that I'm surprised was able to slip the net.

dark10x

$500 doesn't buy much quality control, then. Will you have photos of this happening? It seems like a really basic oversight and one that I'm surprised was able to slip the net.
We might have photos.

The video is almost complete (and 10 minutes long) with a bunch of games and information. We're also doing a write-up on the unit as a whole. I'll post it here when complete.

When my buddy inserted a copy of Super Mario Bros (Famicom version), the slot actually shaved off a piece of plastic like a cheese grater. No joke. It's quite unfortunate.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
We might have photos.

The video is almost complete (and 10 minutes long) with a bunch of games and information. We're also doing a write-up on the unit as a whole. I'll post it here when complete.

When my buddy inserted a copy of Super Mario Bros (Famicom version) and the slot actually shaved off a piece of plastic like a cheese grater. No joke. It's quite unfortunate.

u9942oG.gif

Decider

We might have photos.

When my buddy inserted a copy of Super Mario Bros (Famicom version), the slot actually shaved off a piece of plastic like a cheese grater. No joke. It's quite unfortunate.

Ohh, I'm looking forward to this. I don't think I've seen anything else that indicates that this is a widespread problem but considering who the machine is aimed at, I can see someone having a meltdown in future if their copy of Recca comes out thinner than it was when it went in.

Top Bottom