• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anandtech: The DirectX 12 Performance Preview

chronomac

This is a stupid question but will the implementation of DirectX 12 in Windows 10 help systems with older, DirectX 11 cards, like my HD 7950? I have a FX-6300 chip (admittedly, my system is more budget-focused) and I'm just curious if this will help games utilize what I have better.

Krejlooc

Banned
This is a stupid question but will the implementation of DirectX 12 in Windows 10 help systems with older, DirectX 11 cards, like my HD 7950? I have a FX-6300 chip (admittedly, my system is more budget-focused) and I'm just curious if this will help games utilize what I have better.

Your card will support dx12.

jwhit28

Even if Mantle is all but dropped from everyone except AMD partners, the goal was to make AMD CPUs more competitive right? How could they be mad when all of a sudden years old parts are more competitive?

Yes. DX12 will support all existing GCN cards by AMD.

Of course, it will require games which use DX12, but you will be able to get these improvements on your existing hardware.

Kinthalis

Banned
You guys seem to not understand what an absolute huge deal this is.

CPU bound games such as Arma 3, World of Warcraft and many other titles would benefit greatly from this. RTS games, anything with a ton of units on screen etc.

Take for instance Diablo 3, even on my 2500k @ 4.6 I get some major frame dips into the 20s when there are 100's of units on screen blowing up. I imagine DX12 would be a huge improvement in situations like that because I can see one or two cores spiking up on my CPU but my GPU usage staying in the low 30's (290x)

THIS.

The biggest potential, IMHO is in the tons of CPU cycles this frees up on PC!

We'll be able to have games that aren't possible on consoles, simply because their CPU's are so low end. Games with more complex AI, games with lots of actors, games with complex calculations in terms of physics, spatial coordinates, etc. I think this + newer GPU's huge potential with async compute means PC games in 3 years will be way ahead of consoles in some very tangible ways.

Imagine the next total war featuring battle not with just a few thousand men, which is alreayd, admittedly prety impressive, but with tens of thousands of men, and thousands of civilians in city battles fleeing and grabbing sticks to fight along side the defenders... Oh man, all we need is for CA to give the old engine a heave ho and adpat DX12 Open GL next asap!

In terms of pure GPU stuff, aside from async compute on what are much more capable GPu's on PC - having lower access o the GPU may very well play an important part in VR as well.

Elsolar

This isn't just about low-end CPUs getting a new lease on life, DX12 has major implications for faster CPUs as well. I have an i5-3570k at stock speeds, for example, and I regularly see my BF4 performance drop below 60hz because of CPU bottlenecks. DX12 should pretty much eliminate this (or at least it will for future Frostbite games).

mkenyon

Banned
This isn't just about low-end CPUs getting a new lease on life, DX12 has major implications for faster CPUs as well. I have an i5-3570k at stock speeds, for example, and I regularly see my BF4 performance drop below 60hz because of CPU bottlenecks. DX12 should pretty much eliminate this (or at least it will for future Frostbite games).
This is a travesty.

Krejlooc

Banned
Now give me an open ePCIe standard and a Blade-like notebook with said port, Iris Pro and no dedicated GPU, please =(

Iris pro is pretty sick. I have one of those gigabyte steam machines from dev days and it uses iris pro. It's what I do my development on.

bathsalts

Very promising looking numbers, hope they can translate to games, Between this and the vr SLI revamps/possible stackable vram, pc gaming is set for a crazy leap.

Datschge

Isn't DX12 based on Mantle? Also glnext is also basing it's functions off Mantle as well?
Microsoft got AMD's input, not sources. OpenGL Next however got full source access and is free to take any and everything from Mantle. I fully expect OpenGL Next to officially replace Mantle.

With AMD being first to low levels APIs it's shocking how much better Nvidia seems to be in that benchmark.
Comparing the relative value before and after the improvements are way bigger for the AMD cards though.

LordOfChaos

Iris pro is pretty sick. I have one of those gigabyte steam machines from dev days and it uses iris pro. It's what I do my development on.

Me too, MBP 15". It's really not a bad GPU at all, I've thrown most modern games at it and it's usually above 30FPS at 1440x900 mid-low. Only thing that didn't work well was Ryse, and one game that was frustratingly borderline was Far Cry 4, giant random dips in performance.

jwhit28

Vr sli is an sli model specifically for virtual reality headsets. It uses one gpu per eye. You wouldn't see benefit on a normal monitor.

Yeah that's what I thought. I haven't tried any of the VR headsets yet so I'm not too terribly excited for that.

Krejlooc

Banned
Yeah that's what I thought. I haven't tried any of the VR headsets yet so I'm not too terribly excited for that.

It's incredibly exciting if you're into vr development. Vr takes so much resources, it'll be awesome to get vr games approaching modern image quality.

Hesemonni

Banned
I've been a bit in the dark with this whole Mantle / DX12 business. What are the real life scenarios where this would actually matter or computing in general?

Pooya

I was playing a free for all SCII game the other day, it was lag city with all the zerg players, maybe Blizzard could do something about that ancient engine... nah :\

Muzicfreq

Banned
Nice to see 750ti has a small benefit... I really need to upgrade later.
With all the setting in the WoW PTR I hope to go up to a GTX970 so I can up the settings and hope Blizz doesn't take forever to add some DX12.

Top Bottom