• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anandtech: The DirectX 12 Performance Preview

Kezen

Banned
Seems like AMD got the biggest boost.
Because of their inferior DX11 drivers compared to Nvidia.

I'm pretty sure Mantle can see further gains though
So can DX12.

it's about head to head with DX12 results at the moment.
Head to head while covering too little ground, not a good position to be in.

DX12 will definitely make PC gaming even better (more efficient, even less powerful hardware to match/outclass consoles) and AMD have to be praised for having made the first step towards low-level APIs on PC.

Orayn

This looks really, really promising. If the gains are mainly CPU related, maybe my i5 2500k can have an even more unreasonably long lifespan.

Also lol @ all the people quoting Horse Armor without realizing that he's a joker, smoker, and possibly a midnight toker.

Me too, MBP 15". It's really not a bad GPU at all, I've thrown most modern games at it and it's usually above 30FPS at 1440x900 mid-low. Only thing that didn't work well was Ryse, and one game that was frustratingly borderline was Far Cry 4, giant random dips in performance.

Now imagine a port on your MBP that you plug to a box with a 980 GTX on your home. So you can use it as a standard notebook but when you are at home, it becomes a respectable gaming station.

That's what I want

Bl@de

AMD have to be praised for having made the first step towards low-level APIs on PC.

Well we could've been there sooner

Never forget
3dfx-logo.jpg

Kezen

Banned
Well we could've been there sooner

Never forget
3dfx-logo.jpg

Ah. Completely forgot about glide.

Still, IMO DirectX 12 will win. Of course AMD fans will try to convince themselves otherwise but with Nvidia, Intel backing it up (instead of Mantle) ,major engines supporting it and it being cross-platform Mantle stands no chance. The fact that Mantle is everything but open drastically limits its uptake. AMD want to keep the ball for themselves and they are entitled to that but they can't complain everyone will move on and forget about their tech.

Etnos

Banned
GLNext should too, we'll see if that's up to snuff with Mantle and DX12 soon enough.

Yeah, I'm looking forward for the GLNext presentation with Valve, Epic, Unity and the Frostbite people. I celebrate a better DX, but I rather have a non proprietary multiform API taking the reigns, is better for everybody involved.

GLNext at GDC

Datschge

Still, IMO DirectX 12 will win. Of course AMD fans will try to convince themselves otherwise but with Nvidia, Intel backing it up (instead of Mantle) ,major engines supporting it and it being cross-platform Mantle stands no chance. The fact that Mantle is everything but open drastically limits its uptake. AMD want to keep the ball for themselves and they are entitled to that but they can't complain everyone will move on and forget about their tech.
Haha what?

Last October AMD already donated the Mantle sources to Kronos who are free to use any and everything of it for OpenGL Next, which will be actually cross-platform and not limited to Windows 10. No need to restart an overdone and unnecessary fanboy war about this.

Kezen

Banned
Haha what?

Last October AMD already donated the Mantle sources to Kronos who are free to use any and everything of it for OpenGL Next, which will be actually cross-platform and not limited to Windows 10. No need to restart an overdone and unnecessary fanboy war about this.

DX12 is available on Xbox One and PC. Hence my cross-platform comment.
The next revision of OpenGL might make some noise but I would not bet on it ever being as relevant as Directx 12.

W10 upgrade is free for W7 and 8 owners for a whole year. Needless to say DX12's future looks bright while Mantle's is really grim. I see no point in using it when you can have low-level efficiency on Nvidia and AMD hardware with DX12, why would devs waste their time implementing a Mantle renderer ?

I really do not have anything against AMD of course but I don't see a future for Mantle, good on them for having put pressure on both Nvidia and Microsoft but that's about it.

Etnos

Banned

DirectX 12 will probably win because every single Microsoft software that wins does it for no other than being pre-bundled and tied up to Windows. Said so, It may "win" in the Windows only scene, will remain irrelevant everywhere else.

Kezen

Banned
You can't be serious about this...

But that's the truth. It's a great news for multiplatform developpers and should guarantee that DX12 gathers momentum quickly. A few fall 2015 games will support DX12 apparently.

DirectX 12 will probably win because every single Microsoft software that wins does it for no other than being pre-bundled and tied up to Windows. Said so, It may "win" in the Windows only scene, will remain irrelevant everywhere else.
Fair point. I'm only concerned with Windows PC gaming.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Two thoughts

1) this seems like it would be more advantageous for lower end CPUs like mantle was. Regular gaming level CPUs shouldn't be massively held back anyway. And how many people are going to be running a GTX980 with an i3 or AMD CPU?

2) while these improvements are interesting, it just makes me a bit sad to think how relatively inefficient DX11 was.

Etnos

Banned
But that's the truth. It's a great news for multiplatform developpers and should guarantee that DX12 gathers momentum quickly. A few fall 2015 games will support DX12 apparently.

Fair point. I'm only concerned with Windows PC gaming.

Dual platform support not equal to multi platform support, specially when you have stuff like SDL that would run in pretty much anything with a kernel.

LordOfChaos

Now imagine a port on your MBP that you plug to a box with a 980 GTX on your home. So you can use it as a standard notebook but when you are at home, it becomes a respectable gaming station.

That's what I want

Absolutely. I have plenty of CPU power and RAM to burn, it would benefit the most from a dedicated GPU.

But the port already exists - Some tests showed 90% of full performance over Thunderbolt 2, I really wish people were making affordable Thunderbolt GPU boxes. That seemed like the original vision, but it never happened.

Especially with two ports with the same bandwidth, it should be able to feed a pretty high performance GPU, and would mean I don't have to get such redundant hardware as a seperate tower with another expensive CPU , etc.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7987/running-an-nvidia-gtx-780-ti-over-thunderbolt-2

Very little sacrifice going from the huge bandwidth of PCI-E to the relatively modest (somewhere between a 2x and 4x PCIE link) of Thunderbolt.

thelastword

Banned
We'll be able to have games that aren't possible on consoles, simply because their CPU's are so low end
Should that not be possible already. I mean how long have the i3's, i5's and i7's been on the market, for a very long time. A gaming PC always maintained a big gulf over console hardware through-out the years, but what do we have to show for that apart from the traditional spruced up higher rez graphics and better framerates on PC?

Show me the games that are maxing out the i3's, i5's and i7's on PC, where the experience is not possible on consoles in 2015? Who are these PC developers that are pushing pc hardware or attempting to max it out and set that platform apart? When you play Dragon Age or AC-Unity at 8k is the Ai better on PC on account of the far superior PC cpu's already.

Kezen

Banned
And the most useless kind of truth. Nobody in their right mind equates "cross-platform" with "on Xbox One and under Windows 10". =D

And why ?
They are different platforms under the same banner.

It's still better than being only available on GCN like Mantle, even if the latter could run on Linux.

Rafterman

Banned
Wouldn't go so far as saying R.I.P Mantle yet.

Stick a fork in it...it's done.

If even AMD cards perform better under DX12 than Mantle, or even close, there is no way in hell anyone develops for Mantel when they could just develop in DX12 and get better results for both AMD and Nvidia.

Glide is exactly why I said Mantle would be dead from day one. The only difference is that Glide was actually widely used before DX/OGL killed it off, Mantle hardly got started.

derExperte

Show me the games that are maxing out the i3's, i5's and i7's on PC, where the experience is not possible on consoles in 2015?

ArmA was already mentioned and DX12 should make those kind of games easier to make/expand their scope even more. But let me guess, that doesn't count because it's not a cinematic 30fps corridor shooter with black bars.

martino

Question is more does most gaming pc will stay on the windows scene (with dx12 also on xone)
If so it's glnext who will be the most irrelevant here (and for me).

Kezen

Banned
Stick a fork in it...it's done.
If even AMD cards perform better under DX12 than Mantle, or even close, there is no way in hell anyone develops for Mantel when they could just develop in DX12 and get better results for both AMD and Nvidia.
And even if Mantle is faster, how faster would it need to be for devs to bother ? For Windows DX12 is the choice of reason and for Linux/Mac OpenGL....Unless you only want to sell your games to GCN owners.

Glide is exactly why I said Mantle would be dead from day one. The only difference is that Glide was actually widely used before DX/OGL killed it off, Mantle hardly got started.
In its defense Mantle has a decent number of games but I fear it needed to do much better to stand a ghost of a chance against a superior (and supported by Nvidia) solution.
I'd go as far as to say at least one third of devs having commited to Mantle only did it to better prepare themselves for Directx 12.
The Anandtech benchmarks reveal a somewhat embarrassing thing : DX12 while not even being in beta already trade blows with an API launching one year earlier. You can only wonder what it will be like when the drivers, API, tools, will be finalized.

DX12 will drastically alter the PC gaming landscape and I can't wait to see what devs do with it on PC, be it with exclusives or multiplatform games.

Mr Swine

Banned
All of this depends on how well the developers optimize DX12 for games they are making. But I would love if Blizzard added DX12 support for Starcraft 2

SURGEdude

I'm an AMD CPU/GPU owner and I could care less between Mantle or DX12. Just glad to see the improvements. I am glad Mantle came out and seemed to push for these optimizations from MS.

Stimpack

So what does this mean for emulation? As I understand it, emulation is incredibly cpu dependent. Will we see noticeable gains in stuff like Dolphin/PCSX2?

Syf

Banned
Please Blizzard add DX12 support to the SC2 engine, it's so horribly optimized for modern CPUs. This all looks great. I'm excited.

Nzyme32

And even if Mantle is faster, how faster would it need to be for devs to bother ? For Windows DX12 is the choice of reason and for Linux/Mac OpenGL....Unless you only want to sell your games to GCN owners.

In its defense Mantle has a decent number of games but I fear it needed to do much better to stand a ghost of a chance against a superior (and supported by Nvidia) solution.
I'd go as far as to say at least one third of devs having commited to Mantle only did it to better prepare themselves for Directx 12.
The Anandtech benchmarks reveal a somewhat embarrassing thing : DX12 while not even being in beta already trade blows with an API launching one year earlier. You can only wonder what it will be like when the drivers, API, tools, will be finalized.

DX12 will drastically alter the PC gaming landscape and I can't wait to see what devs do with it on PC, be it with exclusives or multiplatform games.

I'd have to agree with some of the other posts. DX12 is hardly "multiplatform" in a conventional sense since it is Microsoft only. It's either DX12 on Xbox running Windows 10, or DX12 on Windows 10 PC or DX12 on Window 10 phones.

Meanwhile something like OpenGL family would be a better example of "multiplatform", functioning across mobile, web and desktop platforms, despite its lack of use on consoles and decline for majority of PC gaming. If the combination of complete merging and rewrite of OpenGL & OpenGL ES in glNext is as pictured, your idea of DX12 being "multiplatform" is almost comical.

https://www.khronos.org/assets/uplo...4-siggraph-bof/OpenGL-Ecosystem-BOF_Aug14.pdf

glnext_unitytauc4.png

JaggedSac

I'm an AMD CPU/GPU owner and I could care less between Mantle or DX12. Just glad to see the improvements. I am glad Mantle came out and seemed to push for these optimizations from MS.

This should be the mindset for everyone. As a gamer, the API should matter little to none. Devs will choose the one they want to use based on target platforms, performance, and dev tools. Given that DX12, glnext, and Mantle all are heading in the same direction, gamers will see the end performance gains regardless.

Absolutely. I have plenty of CPU power and RAM to burn, it would benefit the most from a dedicated GPU.

But the port already exists - Some tests showed 90% of full performance over Thunderbolt 2, I really wish people were making affordable Thunderbolt GPU boxes. That seemed like the original vision, but it never happened.

Especially with two ports with the same bandwidth, it should be able to feed a pretty high performance GPU, and would mean I don't have to get such redundant hardware as a seperate tower with another expensive CPU , etc.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7987/running-an-nvidia-gtx-780-ti-over-thunderbolt-2

Very little sacrifice going from the huge bandwidth of PCI-E to the relatively modest (somewhere between a 2x and 4x PCIE link) of Thunderbolt.

Yeah, I'm aware of Thunderbolt's potential, but the % loss in performance varies greatly from game to game (according to an earlier test from another site using Thunderbolt 1), so I wouldn't be really comfortable with doing that.

Alienware, on the other hand, created a port that's (apparently) the full 16 lanes of PCI-e. Alas, it's proprietary, and having to buy their notebooks to get it is a big no-no.

Perhaps by the time this rig of mine starts to let me down, the current Thunderbolt will be enough.

Serandur

Impressive, this has awesome implications for CPU performance. What's going on with the 290X in those charts though?

Anyway, I wish the Total War devs would retroactively implement DX12 in some older stuff, it desperately needs it.

Serandur

What time this year would be the best time to build a PC?

Somewhere around summer to fall, depending on when specifically Intel release Skylake (6th gen) parts. At least AMD and maybe Nvidia should have new and much better stuff out then too.

Well this is interesting.

Despite popular belief on GAF, the shitty AMD drivers statement has always been reality and not just an internet meme. This isn't the first time this had been proven to be the case.

DirectX 12 is shaping up to be everything it promised to be. A low end quad core CPU could end up being a good choice for a budget gaming rig.

What time this year would be the best time to build a PC?

The answer to this question is always "when you need it".

All hardware today is compatible with DX12. However, there may be new features unveiled at GDC which require new DX12, so for the entire featureset, it may be best to wait until GDC at the very least. If there are no hardware features, you could wait until the end of the year and get the "full" DX12 hardware.

Pooya

Opengl being multiplatform doesn't seem to be very relevant in what's happening right now. 2/3 of platforms for high end games are supporting DX12. Mobile gaming? on iOS that's the primarily platform for the mobile game developers, there is Metal and it's actually attracting good support among upcoming games and that's the direction it's going there. Opengl is nice and all, being multiplatform doesn't seem to be doing any magic for it at the moment for whatever reason.

Top Bottom