• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Ancient Aliens] Nvidia 364.47 driver issues

w0s

Installed this morning using the clean install method and only doing the driver and it went down fine.

win10
16gb
980ti GTX
i5 6600k

Baleoce

This kind of got me thinking. There should be a Driver |OT| for both Nvidia and ATi that people can subscribe to and do a quick check before updating so they can reliably avoid potential mishaps like this.

Kezen

Banned
This kind of got me thinking. There should be a Driver |OT| for both Nvidia and ATi that people can subscribe to and do a quick check before updating so they can reliably avoid potential mishaps like this.

Alternatively you can check Geforce forums or Guru3d for feedbacks. No need for a Gaf thread imo.

tioslash

Just as a heads up, Beta driver 364.51 is now available to download both on the official website or with GFE.

Didn´t test it myself yet as I´ll wait for some reports.

Baleoce

364.51 beta driver is up now btw. I'm going to assume that's a hotfix. But yeah, like the poster above says, give it awhile.

Yeah, I got this last night... Got home from work wanted to play the talos principle, thought I would quickly install the latest drivers...

Two black screens during installation for a long time before I felt I needed to turn off and on computer, hoped windows would notice something was borked and force default drivers.

But no, got black screens when booting up as well, after some googling found that f8 would get me to a windows boot menu.

Could go to an earlier windows "save" point without any trouble thankfully.

Will wait for a while before installing any new drivers that's for sure.

Sky87

Or just don't update drivers on day one, even week 1.

I updated to 362.00 last Monday after being on drivers since last November, and i had zero issues. Unless you're on bleeding edge hardware (like when Pascal hits) there is no need to update that fast. There is no benchmarks showing the miniscule FPS differences between upgrading either.

''Game ready'' means you can use Nvidia Experience to quickly optimize your game. Doesn't mean you need the actual driver to play.

The Division is just on a black screen now with this beta driver (364.51). I just hear music. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Edit:
Fewww.... Restarted my PC (which I didn't do since I upgraded the driver) and it's fine now :D

lfvgt

Neo Member
Did they actually pull this? Not showing up for me anymore.

Yes, they did. I just went to the website to download the beta and the broken version didn't show up.

Btw, the beta installed with no problems and I'm using the PC with zero issues right now.

Maddanth

364.51 installed zero issues for me with 2 monitors and a projector attached
So is this driver 364.51 in beta? Or is this ready to go?
Edit: ok it's beta, but I'm assuming anytime now if all goes well it will be ready. Just wanted to update drivers for The Division. Has anyone noticed any difference with or without the newest driver for the game The Division?

dr_rus

So is this driver 364.51 in beta? Or is this ready to go?
Edit: ok it's beta, but I'm assuming anytime now if all goes well it will be ready. Just wanted to update drivers for The Division. Has anyone noticed any difference with or without the newest driver for the game The Division?

"Beta" means that it's not WHQL certified yet which in turn means jack shit for gaming as this is mostly a Windows DWM compatibility test (which is apparently missing the issues like this in 364.47 so I wouldn't put any faith in it at all). You can safely install the "beta" right now.

Mohasus

Connected my TV to play lords of the fallen, black screens followed by bsod.

Rebooted into safe mode, used DDU and now I'm downloading the beta drivers.

Mivey

"Beta" means that it's not WHQL certified yet which in turn means jack shit for gaming as this is mostly a Windows DWM compatibility test (which is apparently missing the issues like this in 364.47 so I wouldn't put any faith in it at all). You can safely install the "beta" right now.
Does it not cost quite a bit to get such a certificate? You would think at least somebody would actually install the driver on their PC and look for errors, on a wide range of hardware. Otherwise, NVidia should save that money to make such a test themselves.

dr_rus

Does it not cost quite a bit to get such a certificate? You would think at least somebody would actually install the driver on their PC and look for errors, on a wide range of hardware. Otherwise, NVidia should save that money to make such a test themselves.

I think this has to do more with providing the OEMs with certified drivers so they could update their machines with it than any real benefit to the user. An industrial "cover your ass" type certification.

Neo_Geo

Banned
I did end up having to go back to 362.00, both 364.xx sets are a no go on both of my machines. Also uninstalled the offending MS KB Cumulative update for good measure since it was messing a friends system with similar specs to mine.

Iced

Just checked Nvidia's site and the latest version for my 780 is "364.51 - WHQL". Is this safe to download? This thread has been inactive for a couple of days, so I'm curious to hear some feedback. I'm downloading The Division right now as well, so I'd like to have as optimal an experience as possible.

Just checked Nvidia's site and the latest version for my 780 is "364.51 - WHQL". Is this safe to download? This thread has been inactive for a couple of days, so I'm curious to hear some feedback. I'm downloading The Division right now as well, so I'd like to have as optimal an experience as possible.

Pretty sure 364.51 is no longer considered a beta driver, should be fine.

Saoshyant

I can confirm I installed 364.51 today and it went fine. No BSODs yet four hours later. Haven't actually tried to play anything, I should do that ASAP.

Edit: Played some twenty minutes of Pinball FX without issues. So at least in my case these newest drivers seem safe.

Levito

Banned
Has anyone had any issues with the most recent Nvidia drivers where your framerate gets halfed if you computer stays on too long? Like I installed the most recent drivers, everything is fine unless I try to play a game after leaving my PC on for a while. If I leave it on overnight for example, then load up a game the framerate is like cut in half--but if I restart my PC everything is back to normal and my framerate is fine again.

I have the GTX 970. Anyone else having this issue? I reinstalled my Nvidia drivers totally and it still does this.

Truant

Has anyone had any issues with the most recent Nvidia drivers where your framerate gets halfed if you computer stays on too long? Like I installed the most recent drivers, everything is fine unless I try to play a game after leaving my PC on for a while. If I leave it on overnight for example, then load up a game the framerate is like cut in half--but if I restart my PC everything is back to normal and my framerate is fine again.

I have the GTX 970. Anyone else having this issue? I reinstalled my Nvidia drivers totally and it still does this.

Could it be power setting in the nVidia Control Panel (Global) has reverted to "Adaptive"?

Neo_Geo

Banned
I always leave my NVCP Power Management Mode to adaptive and have never ran into issues with games running at half performance after leaving the computer on for a long time. I have run into instances of the core clock being stuck in the 500-700Mhz range if I come back to my computer after a long time sitting idle and only a restart fixes it. Next time it happens take a look at the core clock and GPU usage.

I have 364.51 and my DSR options are gone. They were there but now they're not. I've seen other posts mentioning this too. Nvidia sure have been fucking up their drivers recently.

SliChillax

I have 364.51 and my DSR options are gone. They were there but now they're not. I've seen other posts mentioning this too. Nvidia sure have been fucking up their drivers recently.

This happens with every new driver on my PC. I have to reset Gsync again to fullscreen and windowed mode every time I get a new driver, put all the DSR options again and set Physx so my gpu. It gets annoying but I'm used to it.

This happens with every new driver on my PC. I have to reset Gsync again to fullscreen and windowed mode every time I get a new driver, put all the DSR options again and set Physx so my gpu. It gets annoying but I'm used to it.
Ahh yes, but when I mean gone I mean GONE. Where the option used to be there is nothing. I can't choose DSR at all. There is nothing there and there is no way for me to get it back as far as I can tell.
Just to be clear, in the CP between CUDA - GPU's and Maximum pre-rendered frames it used to have DSR - Factors and DSR Smoothness. Both of these options are missing when I used to have them.
Very strange. I'll roll back to an earlier driver and see if it fixes it.

dr_rus

Ahh yes, but when I mean gone I mean GONE. Where the option used to be there is nothing. I can't choose DSR at all. There is nothing there and there is no way for me to get it back as far as I can tell.
Just to be clear, in the CP between CUDA - GPU's and Maximum pre-rendered frames it used to have DSR - Factors and DSR Smoothness. Both of these options are missing when I used to have them.
Very strange. I'll roll back to an earlier driver and see if it fixes it.

Check that you don't have any custom resolutions added. DSR and CRs are mutually exclusive.

Check that you don't have any custom resolutions added. DSR and CRs are mutually exclusive.
Nope. 1080p native. Went back to 362 driver and no difference.
This maybe a stupid question but DX12 is used generally now? I don't know when I had that installed but I have that. Could that effect my DSR options?
Or could it be because I am running my HDMI via a A/V Receiver? It didn't used to be a problem. Maybe Nvidia have done something to this?

dr_rus

Nope. 1080p native. Went back to 362 driver and no difference.
This maybe a stupid question but DX12 is used generally now? I don't know when I had that installed but I have that. Could that effect my DSR options?
Or could it be because I am running my HDMI via a A/V Receiver? It didn't used to be a problem. Maybe Nvidia have done something to this?

DSR works in DX12 just fine and DX12 a per app thing anyway so it can't have any effect on the driver's global settings.

As for the AV passthrough - it's possible, you could try plugging the cable directly into your display and check if this will fix the problem.

If nothing helps - use DDU to clean uninstall the current driver, let Windows do it's thing (several restarts will be necessary) and install the last one in custom mode with "clean install" checked.

DSR works in DX12 just fine and DX12 a per app thing anyway so it can't have any effect on the driver's global settings.

As for the AV passthrough - it's possible, you could try plugging the cable directly into your display and check if this will fix the problem.

If nothing helps - use DDU to clean uninstall the current driver, let Windows do it's thing (several restarts will be necessary) and install the last one in custom mode with "clean install" checked.
DDU worked. Thanks for that!

980ti here and the drivers are mostly fine for me, but I've noticed that when waking from sleep my windows all aggregate to my primary screen now, losing their placements. Annoying.

netBuff

980ti here and the drivers are mostly fine for me, but I've noticed that when waking from sleep my windows all aggregate to my primary screen now, losing their placements. Annoying.

Check if your monitor's OSD has some kind of "deep sleep" option you can disable, should get rid of this problem.

dh4niel

I'm running 364.51 and I'm having a couple of games crash with the display driver not responding error. Any word on a proper fix yet?

Head.spawn

Every time I start up my computer I get a black screen instead of a sign-on screen, only fixed by restarting. Really annoying.

Top Bottom