• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'And I'm out...' moments in gaming.

Believe it or not, I actually got up to the final boss of Paper Mario Sticker Star, and stopping after running away from the battle because I didn't have the right stickers.
I wish I stopped sooner...

The homophobia that comes out of nowhere in Trials in the Sky.

estelle-is-homophobic.jpg

I shut the game off immediately after this conversation and haven't come back to it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Me dealing with the inventory problem in Divinity: Original Sin.

"Okay this goddamn mess. I need to schedule time to sort this out...but do I keep crafting materials or sell? I gotta transfer stuff around to ensure the proper components are in the inventory screen of the skilled party member...oh doing this is tedious.
Ok, now I am missing some ingredients in recipes, are they in the other inventory? Do I even bother to hold onto all this nonsense until I find the needed ingredients? Is any of this worth it?
I am failing any experimental attempt and am already sick of doing it, but maybe I am about to discover something cool? Will it be cool? Will I ever actually use it effectively or will it just sit in my inv during combat anyway? It was probably a mistake to pick up everything I see, this is maddening.

Maybe I shouldn't play Divinity afterall". (One day I vow to play beyond Cyseal, like everyone does)

MAtgS

Star Fox Zero. While still trying to come to grips with the flight controls the game completely grinds to a halt for an extended tutorial on the helicopter. Then the actual objective came of having to lower a drone on the backs of moving vehicles that kept moving ever so slightly out of the way.

Tube Slider (GameCube)

I made it to the final course of the hardest Grand Prix, and had amassed enough points where it was mathematically impossible for any CPU to win more points than me after the final race. Yet, I lost the Grand Prix because the game arbitrarily requires you (but not the AI racers!) to place 3rd or better to advance, and I placed fourth.

Fuck that fucking shit game and its bullshit rules. It's one of the few times in my gaming career where I legitimately felt robbed of my accomplishments. Hidden gem my ass. Good riddance.

Lunaray

Ashamed to admit this, because I do genuinely love Chrono Cross, but I lost a lot of interest halfway through the game
when you switch bodies with Lynx and lose all your party members for like more than a third of the game.

jadedm17

I haven't seen it, has no one mentioned Brutal Legend? The game was amazing as an action game, but the tower defence was not enjoyable to me (at least back then). After many hours of enjoyment I stopped when I got to the winter area as the game had become more tower defense than real time action- adventure.

Part 2 was the first Borderlands I'd ever played. Loved the world and the art direction. Then I'd keep passing by places where I'd killed everyone, but everyone was still there, busting out the same doors they did earlier and saying the same crap. Not for me. I hate respawns. It's also why I gave up on Dragon's Dogma. "Oh, look. The same harpies! Wolves are just around that corner there!"

My main gripe of Dark Souls : No clear direction, intensely hard gameplay /and/ endlessly respawn on enemies? The combination of it all was too much for me. I never minded it in Borderlands 2 but the clear direction on what to do and where to go next helps; Same with Destiny.

Fj0823

Star Wars Battlefront

*Lands 7 shots on Player, he doesn't die*

*Said Player 1 shots me with an OP pistol*

Me: "I just wasted $15"

Rajang

After struggling for like a month with Boletaria level 1-2 in Demon's Souls, running through the bridge avoiding the Dragon's flame, finding the route below the bridge and fighting those dogs that ambush you, and finally surviving the last 2 knights at the end, I finally pass the fog door to find this...

tumblr_m2k68jBzDd1qzlgbao1_500.gif

I said "No", stood up, went to my PS3 and turned it off. It took me years to give the game another try

Damn, this is one of my favorite moments in gaming. Constantly dying on that bridge, trying to get to the fog door and then when you finally go through it...LOL.

I was completely blown away by the size of the Tower Knight.

Man I miss those days, when Souls was completely new and no one knew anything about the game. It was such an amazing experience back then, there was nothing like it.

Usually I bail when checkpoints have me re doing too much. Gave up on Nioh because of that. I really really hate frustrating checkpoint systems as I really don't have time to keep re-doing parts of the game to get to the fun boss fight.

rackham

Banned
20 minutes on some shit puzzle in that shit game The Last Guardian. Pet that asshole a ton up until then too and he still wouldn't do what I wanted after however long. Awful, terrible game.

hao chi

I stopped playing Battlefield 4 as soon as they were going to amputate that one guy's leg. Amputation really bothers me, so I opened up the XMB and closed the app right away.

I also stopped plying Ninja Gaiden Black during a boss fight towards the end where you have to control that moving platform. I had no idea what to do and the unskippable cutscene right before killed my patience. I only tried it maybe three times then I was done.

LakeEarth

Condemned 2, welcome to this creepy cabin, ok now you have to search the basement! (flashbacks from Condemned 1). Oh well it might be ok... (bear attacks me), Nope no no nope nope!

Aters

Muv-Luv Alternative

The infamous Marimo chomp scene. I had to turn the game off right then and there.

I came back the next day but that's the first time a game left me in shock.

I guess the localization did you a favor by censoring the truly shocking scene. I quit the game for three months because of the
tentacle scene
. To this day I still believe that scene is totally unnecessary and, well, disgusting.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Base on some of the posts here I can safely say some of you will hate games like Catherine and SMTIII Nocturne.

SirNinja

Any time an extremely powerful enemy, especially a final or bonus boss, is fully healed by a reflected/charmed full-heal ability.

Stuff like Yiazmat reflecting party members only for a too-late-to-cancel Renew to fully heal him, or this BS from Persona 3:

1447853202531.gif

Then there's bosses like
Tiamat
from SMT Strange Journey where, if you put Tetrakarn (reflect) on your party, she'll just go ahead and cast Diarahan herself [!] onto a reflected party member, which will fully heal her. (If that's still present in Deep/Redux, get ready for some rage...)

There's a few more infamous examples but you get the idea.

Pepboy

Destiny 1 -- the missions were already repetitive the first time playing them. Then they start reusing the same maps with different spawn points. The part that killed me is they then demanded I literally replay these already repetitive quests with repetitive maps in order to progress, just so I can see more of a story that already made no sense.

Caught the rest on youtube from a 10min video. Such a bad game (to me).

The PS2 Battlestar Galactica game had this shitty level where you had to fly a captured Cylon Raider in perfect formation with other Cylon Raiders for an absurd amount of time, with multiple phases, quick death if you fuck up, and no checkpoint saves after each phase.

I've done this multiple times on the original X-Com (the Gollop one), just because it was such a pain in the ass to get into.

Raw64life

Shadow of Mordor. Got really tedious. I cleared out everything on what I thought was the entire map. Went all the way to the bottom and completed what I thought was the final mission. j/k, here's an entire other overworld for you to do more of the same exact shit in.

The original Condemned's opening few minutes made me shake my head in utter disbelief at such a stupid premise. I can accept stupidity from video games, but the way it sets up your character being on the run is beyond unbelievable and borders on Naked Gun / Hot Shots levels of parody (and not in a good way).

Also tried playing couch co-op with a friend in Divinity: Original Sin. After the game kept pausing every 5-10 seconds to either tell me something completely obvious in a tutorial tip, or because of something in the battle system, I knew it wasn't for me (I may try it again one day solo, but co-op was a bad experience for me).

Dremorak

Banned
I got close to that point last night with Splatoon 2 ranked mode. I normally do pretty well, with about 70% wins on average, but this time I had lost about 7 and won once, I was livid. I couldnt tell if it was me or the teams I was matched with, but I was close to throwing a joycon across the room :\

Loved Assassins Creed. But after playing 3 I had enough. What a piece of shit game. My interest has been reinvigorated by Origins, though.

Masked Man

I said wow
I hope you stick with it, OP, because NieR:Automata is an incredible game! I had a similar moment when a seemingly innocuous sidequest sent me back into the desert, only to find myself
bombarded by self-destructing robots
. That was frustrating. :/

Final Fantasy X. Thunder Plains. Lightning Dodging weapon quest.

NOPE.

At least that was optional. (I feel your pain, though: it took lots of cursing for me to finish that one!)

Freedom Planet. Jade Creek mini boss. Ugggghhh such an idiotic difficulty spike with no checkpoint before it. Lose the fight? Start the level over again, dummy.

Also
Windblight Ganon. Yeah, giving him a gun really makes him a fun and fair fight.

And one that really broke my heart: Nefarious. I had high hopes for this game only for it to be very mediocre. The breaking point was one of the last levels consistently running at sub-20 FPS and having 30 second load times. On top of the ever popular "everything's silhouetted against a black background" gimmick.

bman94

The war rig section early in Gears of War 2. I wanna say it's the second leve. It's a section where we're on top of a big vehicle shooting at another one IIRC, and some airborn enemies.

I got killed by a trial and error moment and I said fuck it, I'm out. Returned it, never touched the entire series again. And I liked the first Gears of War.

Holy shit what?? That was one of my favorite moments of Gears 2. Shit blew my mind in 08. And I hate gears 1, like a lot. The worst game in the series to me.

I went Nope on Ark Survival Evolved after literally about 25 seconds. I turned the camera and saw the frame rate tank so hard and the visuals were blurry as hell. Said nope and deleted it.

This. What a POS game. So glad I figured this out in the trial & didn't have to beg for my money back. Fuck this game. Especially after they jacked the price up for reasons.

Oh yeah, one more: VVVVVV.

Veni. Vidi. Vici.

Made it after 100+ tries...

And I landed on the wrong side of the wall.

Immediately turned off the 3DS.

I finally beat it a month later after I tried again.

ASaiyan

Banned
Most every Final Fantasy I've played has a difficulty spike at the final boss/dungeon. This is incredibly annoying, but in most cases the game is so good that I will take the extra hour or two and grind up to where I need to be.

The one exception was Final Fantasy XIII. I made it all the way to the last dungeon, hit that wall, and said "Nah, I am not doing two more hours of random battles that take forever; they aren't fun enough." So I noped out. I know what the final boss is and I don't really care that I never experienced it.

And it's a good thing XV had a difficulty slider, because I so wouldn't have done a grind just to beat
Ardyn
. I was done with the game at that point, just wanted to see the ending, lol.

As soon as I saw the elevator going to the lava area in Dark Soups 2. The logistics of it made no sense and ruined the immersion for me completely. Shut that off asap.

But seriously, some argument early on in GTA V between the dad character's kids. Realized I no longer had the tolerance for profanity-laden dialogue as I used to. I'm sure my middle school self would be digging it, but not now. Cool driving and visuals but I find it so vile in tone that I don't enjoy playing these anymore.

For me it's mostly to do with bad writing and dialogue in RPGs

Like Fallout 4, that quest to find Virgil out in the wasteland. I was really excited about this mutant dude I was going to meet living out in the middle of nowhere, then I finally get there and he says a few boring lines and sends me back out again.

I figured the game was not worth playing anymore after that

Aomber

Recently, Shadow of Mordor. The game hits you with all the usual sins of shitty open world game design right up front. After about 60-90 minutes of playing, realizing the entire game basically only has Orcs for you to fight, and realizing how bad the combat is, I dropped it immediately.

Halo ODST. Got through a particularly grueling and long combat sequence about half way through the game. Quit out and came back later and found out it had never saved anything for the past 30 minutes or so (even though it had kept checkpoints while I was playing). I'd have to do that entire combat portion over. Instead I never picked it up again.

Losing large chunks of progress makes me put a game down for weeks or more if not put it down permanently.

Actually this morning, I decided to boot up my free playstation plus Infamous: Second Son and got to the beginning part with the paint spray and having to twist my hand and shake the controller and noped out to the menu and deleted the game. To be fair I've never enjoyed the Infamous games.

Lawbreakers when I see that concurrent player count

WTDnnwE.gif

Jokes.

But the only game that sticks out for me is Amnesia when you first run into an enemy, something about that game just scares the bajeezus out of me, and I just refuse to "dumb it down" by playing with speakers, lights on, eyes closed, etc. So I was done.

Apathy

Hearthstone when some lucky fuck was in the brink of death where he top decks a glyph into freeze, to draw into freeze and ice block into burn that killed me. I instantly just uninstalled that piece of shit game

Ricker

I had a moment like this in Unravel lol...after a hard chase scene that I wont go into for spoilers,that I restarted several times I finally passed it and reached the next little section where usually the game auto saves...so I stopped for the night but when I pressed continue the day after,somehow the checkpoint did not stick and I had to redo the whole thing again...nope.

Also about to do the same thing with Last Guardian,that I finally started yesterday...

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Creed unity. Bought the game day 1. Couldn't believe the frame rate. Stopped after 45 minutes.

Ubisoft said they would fix it.

Waited.

Patched.

First encounter. Frame rate took a dive, couldn't properly block because of the frame rate eating my input.

Deleted. Disc sold.

Top Bottom