• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'And I'm out...' moments in gaming.

Scirrocco

Suikoden 3(4?)

The first Ps2 one

God Damn Yuber.

To explain, he's one of the bad guys. Super tough, really high evade, bitch to kill. You fight him a few times and usually it's avoidable or its a fight you can't win.

Eventually I got to a point where you have to fight him for real and just couldn't. Maybe he had some weakness I was missing, but I couldn't hit him, and magic in that game was stupid, and almost always impossible to use without damaging friendlies. And I didn't have a save from before this instance, so I couldn't just go and get superlevelled.

So once I realize there's no way to avoid fighting him, I just give up. Never went back to beat it either. It was a Shame because, shifty battle system aside, I really liked that game.

Edit: my shake is the top of the page. Lovely.

Staf

Just recently XCOM 2: WOTC. I love XCOM 2, probably my GOTY on PS4 last year. I love the added bonding mechanic, propaganda posters and new enemies. But they also added more stuff to 'manage' between the combat encounters. It was stressful in base XCOM 2 and they made it unbearable with the expansion.

Only played about 2 hours but i got to experience two great encounters with a chosen at least.

Zambayoshi

Eli Manning interception in Madden.

Oh boy. This (although for me it's Dak Prescott). Also, when the AI goes into 2-minute drill mode and almost inevitably scores on you. So much so that it was the greatest feeling ever when I was leading the Patriots 23-19 in the Super Bowl with 42 seconds to go and Tom Brady went for it on 4th down at the Dallas 14 and FAILED incomplete. I just about passed out :)

Greedings

It's rarely one thing for me, I usually quit when a lot of little things build up. I finish my session and just never turn it back on again.

Recently, Horizon. I don't think one thing in particular made me quit, just an overall apathy for the game.

Dueck

Banned
Agents of Mayhem wanted me to rescue some hostage strapped to a bomb (part of a mission to unlock a new character) and every time I followed the waypoint it'd give me the fail screen. No matter what I did differently, it was "restart from last checkpoint" and run back to where I was only to get another game over. After several attempts, I said "screw this" and took it back to the store and got something else.

I recently ALT-F4'd and uninstalled Salt and Sanctuary off of my PC when I encountered the first boss and found the controls and gameplay to be too frustrating. I ought to give it another shot since it reads right up my alley, iunno. Meh.

Roshin

Just recently XCOM 2: WOTC. I love XCOM 2, probably my GOTY on PS4 last year. I love the added bonding mechanic, propaganda posters and new enemies. But they also added more stuff to 'manage' between the combat encounters. It was stressful in base XCOM 2 and they made it unbearable with the expansion.

Only played about 2 hours but i got to experience two great encounters with a chosen at least.

It's a funny thing with the new XCom games. The general idea seems to be to increase the pace, push the player, and generally be very busy. Previously, you always had the choice to play slow or fast, depending on your playstyle. But having the choice to play slow is appearantly a bad thing now and if you can't deal with all the chatter and the stuff being thrown at you, it's going to be a stressful experience.

I guess the localization did you a favor by censoring the truly shocking scene. I quit the game for three months because of the
tentacle scene
. To this day I still believe that scene is totally unnecessary and, well, disgusting.

I remember reading about that
chomp scene because it was noted as the most gory/infamous scene. If you're saying that this other scene is even worse than that do you mind describing what it is because I'm not sure if I want to actually want to look it up.

jambo

8LABT87.png

I hated when these guys showed up in MoH Airbrone. I was really enjoying the game up to that point and then it snapped me right back.

snap

Banned
8LABT87.png

I hated when these guys showed up in MoH Airbrone. I was really enjoying the game up to that point and then it snapped me right back.

I had a mini-revelation when I realized instead of emptying multiple Tommy gun clips into them if you empty half a BAR clip or so into their heads they would go down.

Still stupid game design.

the malus

Neo Member
I used to love playing The Crew until I started doing the longer races. After about half an hour of racing the game starts to bug out. First the guide line stops working, then resetting to the track starts to take longer and longer and so on. The final straw was when I played an hour long race and after about 50 minutes the AI enemies just teleported to the finish line after getting stuck on some geometry. Uninstalled it and never looked back.

spiel

Neo Member
I rage quit Remember Me for a silly reason. There was a QTE sequence after defeating the first boss but for the life of me I couldn't remember what the onscreen icons stood for. Redid the fight multiple times before I gave up.

UrbanRats

Lately i've dropped too many games (meaning i should buy less of them).

The three most recent examples are The Witness, Gravity Rush 2, and Horizon.

The Witness i just walked around, and struggled to even find puzzles i could interact with, let alone understand the rules of.
I don't get what's good about the open world element of that game, it just wastes my time.
I'd rather play something like Stephen's Sausage Roll.

Horizon, similarly, wasn't one specific moment, but just sheer tedium of the harvesting, tied with the uninteresting exploration and story.

Gravity Rush 2 was more of a clean break; i was fighting some big tentacle monster boss, his biggest asset being MY shitty camera controls, and i just rage quit without even losing.
I've finished GR1, which had PLENTY of problems that i excused because it was a Vita port, but GR2 actually went backwards in some areas (so much padding) i despite having a lovely world, it just ain't worth it.
Hopefully Toyama got his fix, and we can move on from that shit.

An even more recent example would be The Division, though that was only the 6 hours trial.
I got to a part where they showered you with waves and waves of baddies with multiple healthbars, died about 15 times trying to do it, and rage-uninstalled (i have like 30 minutes left anyway).
Saw flash forwards of me shooting a baddie for 20 minutes to chip away at his massively long health bar, and just noped out.

Last one that comes to mind, is Dark Souls 3's DLC, but it was a while ago, and don't remember the specific instance.
I was just, in general, fed up with the Souls shenanigans.

Bluehound

Neo Member
In Star Ocean 4, I wanted to try the last bonus dungeon where you are given 1 randomized task (out of possible 3) to complete every odd-numbered floor and has a boss battle in every even-numbered floor. On top of that, there are no save points in dungeon and if you exit the dungeon mid-way to save and return back, you have to start back from floor 1 (no shortcuts to upper floors). There are 20 floors, then it repeats floors 19 and 20 indefinitely.

I believe I got all way to floor 16 in 2 hours, then the game freezed randomly after using certain character's one of the strongest attacks. I tried few days later again, got to floor 6 or 7 and it did the exact same thing. I looked it up afterwards and found it is a well known bug. I haven't returned to game for several years since that happened.

Persona 5:
Antagonist: Women are disposable, weak and made to be exploitable sexual outlets
Protagonists: Naw, that's wrong
*Camera pans leeringly over female character, and she is embarrassed at the outfit the game designers made for her*
Dialogue choices: Oh grow up / Looking spicy, sis!

Not that long after:
Ann: Someone's trying to blackmail me into doing nude modelling
Protagonists: Let's make a plan that hinges on Ann being naked bait, everyone on board?
Ann: Not me, let's not do this plan
Protagonists: Do what we say, please, this is how we do things
Ann: :/
Protagonists: It'll be fine, it's not like you'll be safer with him than with us, we're going to look up your skirt every chance we have
Ann: What?
Protagonists: I meant to say let's make friends with your blackmailer cum sexual harasser

I stupidly gave the game the benefit of doubt early on, hoping it would build up to something. It had to, since it was so clearly going against the very things it was preaching about. There was no pay-off sadly enough. The story just moved on, and Ann continued to be the target of sexual harassment jokes. Combine that with the game's fondness of casual homophobia, and I was done.

MGrant

The fourth or fifth time in a row fighting my way to the Capra Demon, getting his health most of the way down then dying.

Exited and uninstalled the game right there.

Dark Souls

If you survive the first five seconds of that fight, though, you've pretty much won. I agree just getting in the door is bullshit, though.

Crzy1

Same thing happened to me at that point in Nier: Automata. It's a bitch, but if you go back and do it again, it's not quite as bad since you'll know what to do. Overall, the hacking sections will cause me to never play the game again, but so worth making it through once.

The one that gets me is Ubisoft open world games that halt your ability to continue the main story that until you finish a set amount of menial tasks. Everytime I hit that wall, I get so frustrated, especially when I've dumped a large amount of time into it.

Also, grinding in an MMO will cause me to drop it almost immediately with only a couple of exceptions. I just don't have time for that sort of stuff anymore.

Sho Nuff

Banned
This fucking shit in Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse

KzKZZlH.jpg

This is one of......i don't know how many but after 3-4 hours I was like DONE BYE

Shotpun

Two comes to mind:

- Last mission in Driver. After first try I was like "you can't be serious", after second try "they fucking are serious" and after third try I turned my playstation off and never played it again or tried any of the sequels.

- Fallout 3. Didn't take long to notice the Bethesda seal of quality level of writing
rmdSx.gif

Mr_Moogle

Final Fantasy X. Thunder Plains. Lightning Dodging weapon quest.

NOPE.

Yeah agreed. These timing mini-games suck so bad. The skipping rope one from FFIX was even worse. I consider myself a completionist but I'm not going through shit like that.

Bloodborne

I'm sure it's a great game if you learn how to play it but after replaying the same part like 15 times early on I just said "Nope." and turned off the console and haven't bothered starting the game again. I simply didn't have fun enough to replay the levels like that, being a parent with limited time for games I just don't have time for that crap.
Best game on the console? Lol nope

Did you get past the first boss? Believe it or not the opening hour of Bloodborne is probably the hardest bit and not representative of the entire game. Firstly don't bother trying to kill everything on the way to the first boss. You can run past most of the enemies in the first area. Once you get to the first boss on the bridge, even if you don't beat him and die, you will be allowed to level up your character and the game becomes much much less difficult. The only reason that initial area is so difficult is because the game doesn't let you level up right at the beginning. It was a pretty stupid design choice really. I'm sure many gamers switched off without getting to the first boss.

You really should go back because the game is a masterpiece.

Truant

Bloodborne

I'm sure it's a great game if you learn how to play it but after replaying the same part like 15 times early on I just said "Nope." and turned off the console and haven't bothered starting the game again. I simply didn't have fun enough to replay the levels like that, being a parent with limited time for games I just don't have time for that crap.
Best game on the console? Lol nope

Same here. Then for some reason I decided to replay the game a year later, and it became one of my favorite games of all time.

I had tons of fun with Demon's Souls (even though I never finished it), Bloodborne simply didn't show enough fun gameplay before starting to punish me. I died on the first enemy probably 20 times and nearly gave up right there, didn't find a weapon and tried killing that werewolf monster with my bare hands, tried to flee from it out in the open area afterwards but it just followed me and killed me. Then I went to that other realm and got weapons as a gift and then it was super easy, for awhile... Too much frustration and replaying for me.

calling bullshit on this... You die once to it and then you go to the hunters dream, its how it is supposed to happen (the werewolf is pretty easy to kill with bare hands when ur used to the game though, so you have to still die in some way to get there ) and Demon's Souls has basically the exact same thing where you are supposed to die then show up at the nexus...

The Evil within. A level where you are in a confined space with a chainsaw dude. I couldn't get away from him and had no health kits so tried it for an hour and then deleted the game.

Fuck that game

Most recently was Far Cry 4. There was no specific moment of clarity, rather a gradual dawning of the realisation that I'd be doing the exact same shit for another 20 hours and that the game had made me hate eagles.

score01

Baten Kaitos on GameCube.

Random card based battles, I think three boss fights in a row without a save? I did 2 out of three before getting destroyed. Put the game away.

Heavenly Sword
Really enjoyed this game up to the final boss fight where they just ramped up the difficulty. Maybe I'm just getting old but I don't have time for that shit anymore.

bosseye

Dark Souls 3 for me. Reached the Crucifixion Woods and just hit a wall, couldn't go anywhere without dying and after multiple tries I realised I was just done with the whole 'Souls' mechanic of progression through failure.

Also it was so astonishingly janky to play, I don't normally notice/mind too much (Bloodborne didn't bother me for example) but it was bad enough in this game to sour the basic experience of navigating the world for me.

Mr_Moogle

Baten Kaitos on GameCube.

Random card based battles, I think three boss fights in a row without a save? I did 2 out of three before getting destroyed. Put the game away.

The sequel was much better. I imported it from the US and it was well worth it.
Still not a fan of card-based battle systems though. I was mostly in it for those beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds.

Huh.

Both Yang and Cid got royally fucked up, in those scenes. Yang was a Master Monk, so Iron Body and Ki got him through... barely. And Cid had a gadget for everything. He quite literally invented plot devices.

If Edgar, Sabin, and Celes were scrubs to you, I wonder that you don't maintain that Hsien Ko was tops in MvC3. Was Mog your MVP? Gatdam. Those are three of the top 5 characters in the game.

What does Marvel 3 have anything to do with what I said

Also I never like Celes or Edgar or Setzer. Sabin was good in battle but had the personality of a brick.

daninthemix

Most recently was Far Cry 4. There was no specific moment of clarity, rather a gradual dawning of the realisation that I'd be doing the exact same shit for another 20 hours and that the game had made me hate eagles.

Yeah the wildlife in Far Cry 4 is a perfect example of taking a good idea - unpredictable wildlife - and fucking it completely up, by making it entirely predictable (animals ALWAYS attack), and even removing your agency, throwing you into a canned animation or QTE (I forget which).

It's Ubisoft at their ADD worst ("shit! there's been no DRAMA for 3 seconds - send the honey badgers!")

Been stuck at the flight school part in the final third of San Andreas. I press on because I've been enjoying the game immensely until then. One time I start the game I find out that the savefile got corrupted. I downloaded a 100% save, messed around an hour or so with it, pretty much never touched the game since. Soured me completely on it, have no interest in ever investing time in side activities like gym and shit anymore.

In Dark Souls 1 yet another boss, this time with no bonfire nearby so I gotta get through an annoying as fuck part every time. Sorry for not remembering the specifics, but I was simply not interested in playing the same shitty part dozens of times to then get to the boss. Pretty much made me uninterested in the whole series and genre. Difficulty doesn't scare me, I eat bullet hell shooters for breakfast, but no thanks for this one. inb4 git gud

Not strictly gameplay related, but when Borderlands 2 came out I bought the game day one with the season pass. I only bought the first one to play the Duke Nukem Forever demo, but I ended up sinking like 200 hours in the base game and DLCs so I was there for the sequel. Played through the base game twice, played through the first DLC, was ready to jump into the second one when they announce that the level cap increases are DLCs, and one is not in the season pass, and costs 10 Euros or so. Shortly after it turns out there will be other DLC outside of the pass. Never touched the game again.

Destiny 1 when I realized I am literally wasting dozens of hours on minor progress for shitty exotic weapons or materials while waiting for a once a week (only had one character) to get an actually useful item for my character. I got the white shader twice on that goddamn raid. When they even started out patching out shortcuts like the loot cave, and when it turned out that the higher level raid did not have better rewards, I stopped to think: is there a point in me sinking dozens of hours into grinding when there is nothing I can do to reasonably progress besides praying for RNGeezus? Turned off the game and never gone back, doubt I'll ever be interested enough to buy any sequel.

Joey Ravn

Banned
PUBG.

Unpopular opinion, but I can honestly say that I only enjoyed the first two or three matches I played solo. By the fourth I had realized that the gameplay loop would never change from what I had already experienced. Played duo with a friend a few times and barely enjoyed the experience, mostly because I was talking to him, not because I was playing the game. Forced myself to play it to "git gud" and one day I decided I couldn't do it anymore. Uninstalled it, removed it from my account and all's good in the world again.

Edit:

Oh, how could I forget! Darklurker on Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin. The only Souls boss I could never beat. I'm going to give it another go on PS4 in the near future, though.

It's not a specific moment but at a certain point in Nioh I realized I'd been doing the same shit over and over for 15-20 hours and wasn't even close to the end of the game

MGSV

Got to the mission when Big Boss
saves the kids in Africa. Truly, he was historys greatest villain. I was just annoyed with the mission in general.
It's a shame the gameplay is so fantastic, but its wrapped up in a game I'm not that big of a fan of.

Gwent. When your opponent used Dijkstra (a high risk high reward card) and gets the exactly 2 cards out of a deck of 40 that he needed to win the round.

"Raise your sword, Ramza" scene in FFT. O think it was my first ragequit ever.

Soloing Gogmazios in MH4U. That sh** was boring and too damn long.

SoulUnison

Banned
The very beginning of InFamous Second Son where it forces you to hang out in an open enemy camp when you're heavily under powered and get swamped by dozens of dudes. The mediocre TPS combat didn't help the shittiness of that.

I was enjoying it up until that point, too. Really awful feeling game.

"Very beginning."
"Really enjoying it up to that point."

What?

Giant Spiders in games.

I use Insects Begone in Skyrim because it's just too much for me, I remember playing it when it first came out and having to deal with the cave with giant spiders at the start of the game, oh man.

I'm basically the same, but I feel weird calling it arachnophobia since it only triggers in certain scenarios and by a few things that aren't spiders.

For instance, I'm fine with 75% of video game spider enemies, but can't handle Skyrim's due to a combination of how "meaty" they are and the first-person camera that means they're attacking right at "your" face.

I bought Skyrim at launch and forced myself through the initial cave mostly by hiding ina corner and letting the NPC handle them. Then I forced my way through Bleak Falls Barrow by standing past a doorway it was too big for and slowly chipping away with magic while looking away from the screen.

I NOPE'd out of the game entirely when I was happily strolling along in the wilderness and a pack of them appeared as a random battle. Suddenly I felt like I wasn't safe no matter where I was in the game.

Even with the Insects Begone mod, it's like there's some weird irrational sector of my brain that's screaming in pain whenever an "Invading Bear" appears. Like I'm being confronted by "the thing" but it's being concealed by some flimsy glamour, or something. It just transitions abject terror into existential dread.

I also get the same instinctive, uncontrollable terror from Half-Life's headcrab enemies. I've played thousands of hours of Half-Life mods and multiplayer, but never played more than a few chapters of their campaigns, I can't handle them that much.

It's a completely irrational, illogical, overriding fear. For the record, I have no issue with -real- spiders, unless they're, like, tarantula sized, but when a headcrab or Skyrim spider appears on screen I can literally barely even stand to look in the direction of the monitor and fumble blindly to force quit the game as soon as possible. It's entirely impossible, obviously, but it's like I feel as though if I allow them to "exist" they might "notice me," the player, and "escape" through the screen into our reality.

Actual horror games have never even approached the fear I experience even just seeing a -screenshot- of one of these creatures. We're talking heart racing, cold sweats, anxiety pains - the works.

danmaku

Two comes to mind:

- Last mission in Driver. After first try I was like "you can't be serious", after second try "they fucking are serious" and after third try I turned my playstation off and never played it again or tried any of the sequels.

The last mission? lol I stopped at the tutorial in the parking lot. And I'm sure a lot of other kids did.

Top Bottom