• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Garfield is "The Amazing Spider-Man" (official title)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salvor.Hardin said:
I can't believe the first movie came out 9 years ago.

Who remembers the first time they saw this trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KW8stZ2jSQ

You have to love the cheesy stock music. And how the trailer pretty much gives away the entire movie. But goddamn was it exciting, especially the way it pushed film CG to an entirely new level. Such a good movie.

Man, I really don't feel like this seems that dated at all. I mean, I guess it's all pretty iconic, but if I saw that trailer for the first time, I'd believe it was new.

Jokergrin

Anastacio said:
waYBP.jpg

Scales...

Those aren't scales, dude just has bad skin.

SolKane said:
Plenty of "hipsters" read the beat generation writers, I mean they were pretty much the proto-hipsters. As for Murakami, the only people I know who read his work are otaku or nerds who generally don't read books which don't have dragons on the cover.

Holy shit, I need to check the rest of my books.

Zekes!

SolKane said:
Plenty of "hipsters" read the beat generation writers, I mean they were pretty much the proto-hipsters. As for Murakami, the only people I know who read his work are otaku or nerds who generally don't read books which don't have dragons on the cover.

Hey man I resent that! Murakami is my favourite author :[

Salvor.Hardin said:

You have to love the cheesy stock music. And how the trailer pretty much gives away the entire movie. But goddamn was it exciting, especially the way it pushed film CG to an entirely new level. Such a good movie.

Something I never thought of until I watched that trailer. Did Marvel need DC Comics' permission to say "Superman" in the movie? Kind of embarrassing for Marvel that, arguably, the world's most well-known superhero belongs to their rival company, and that they may have to pay just to have a character mention his name off-hand.

Summary Man said:
Something I never thought of until I watched that trailer. Did Marvel need DC Comics' permission to say "Superman" in the movie? Kind of embarrassing for Marvel that, arguably, the world's most well-known superhero belongs to their rival company, and that they may have to pay just to have a character mention his name off-hand.

I would doubt it, as I'd imagine that use of the name itself falls under fair use.

Satchwar said:
Jeez I don't remember the CG in the original Spider-Man flick being so bad.

The only bad CG I can think of is some of the webslinging when he's chasing Ben's murderer and the parts with the Green Goblin during the festival scene. Otherwise I think a lot of it holds up really well today. Spider-Man 2 on the other hand, because it was much more ambitious, shows its age a lot more in the CG department than the original.

Also, how did Raimi get permission to show the Oscorp executives have their flesh and skin incinerate, leaving only their skeleton after GG throws his bomb? Even the part where he gets impaled at the end by his own glider seems a bit extreme by today's standards.

Quint from AICN had a pretty good interview with Vic Armstrong - the stunt coordinator for The Amazing Spider-Man.

Quint: Do you think with the recent massive success of Fast Five, a film whose whole marketing campaign revolved around big, real stunts, that studios might turn away from their more CG-intensive stuntwork?

Vic Armstrong: I think that started already. The last few films I’ve been involved with, Green Hornet, Thor and now Spider-Man, the first thing said when we go into meetings is “We want make this as real as possible. We don’t want it to look like a CG fest,” etc, etc.

We spent weeks and weeks on Spider-Man getting Andrew Garfield and the stunt doubles to fly for real rather than just having cartoon characters whizzing around the screen. There’s some great stuff on YouTube of Spider-Man flying down 12th Ave. underneath this big, gothic archway, viaduct.

There’s a whole resurgence in doing things for real, which is how we like to do it. I’m not kidding people… we don’t cheat, but we don’t do things for real in the movie business. You don’t jump off a hundred foot building, land and walk away from it, but we can make it appear that you can. We’ve always used different tricks in the past, whether it be a stuntman landing on boxes and, with clever editing, you cut and see him land on the road. Things like that. To me, that’s no different to using CG in a movie to take out a pipe-ramp or to take out an airbag that you’re falling towards.

Quint: With the advent of DVD and the easy access to behind the scenes material on TV, DVD, books, etc, I think the average movie-goer is more aware of what’s going on behind the curtain than they used to. Using a combination of CG and real effects or stunt work makes it harder for the audience to spot the gag.

Vic Armstrong: Absolutely. When we did the last big of flying down in New York… We had fifty cars as he’d be flying above, swinging through as they’re driving up and down the road. Even the people in the cars who have seen it two or three times, you could see them looking out the windshields going “Whoooaaaa!”

Avi Arad, the producer of Spider-Man and he did all the other three Spider-Man (movies), he said “Oh my God, Vic. This is exactly what you said you guys were going to do!” My guys being myself and my brother Andy, who is the stunt coordinator with me. He said, “This is exactly what you said! It looks so different!”

When Spider-Man swings from one direction, then turns to swing another direction he’s pulling at 2 to 2 ½ Gs. That’s a lot of pressure on his body, but you see that on the body. You see the arms straightening out, you see the legs straightening out and then he pulls them back up as he then goes back up into his flying position.

You sense, subconsciously, the realism. You know. The eye and the brain is a funny thing. You only need something slightly off kilter for you to say, “Oh! Alarm-alarm-alarm! Something’s not right!” If somebody has one eye a quarter-inch higher, it’s not a lot, but straightaway the whole thing is out of balance and you see that in CG. When you see somebody swinging for real, then you look at the CG version your computer brain instantly tells you which is which.

Quint: How was that experience overall? Did you find it rewarding? From the man-on-the-street pictures and videos that have been coming out it looks really sharp from my perspective.

Vic Armstrong: I’m very, very happy with it. We did everything we set out to do and that’s all you can ever hope for. I’m very, very pleased with what we attempted and what we achieved. I really think it’s going to be a good movie.

It is a reboot. They don’t like to call it that, but it is a reboot. We went in at ground level and just changed everything; changed the actor, changed his approach to it and got some great, realistic modern parkour, skateboarding, flying… everything in it.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49589

Man everything about this movie is sounding really good. It's unfortunate that we probably won't get a fight as kick ass as the final one between Spidey and the Green Goblin at the end of the first Spider-Man movie, but my body is preparing itself for awesome regardless.

Edit: Hope they don't spend too much time on skateboard tricks.

aparisi2274

Salvor.Hardin said:

The first time I remember seeing a trailer for Spiderman was this teaser, which was later pulled because of 9/11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clc7BGA5hPQ&feature=related

Salsa

Summary Man said:

Marvel had little control over this. The movie franchise doesnt belong to them (Sony was it ? i know it was Paramount for the 3rd one). Its not like the new Iron Man, Hulk, Cap etc movies, those are produced in-house with a newly formed (as in, when the first iron man came out) Marvel film studio, hence the heavy fan service.

MisterHero

Summary Man said:
It can be considered a common expression, I don't think a reference is infringement. It was in fact one of a few Superman references in the movie, and they point them out in the commentary lol.

I do think they watched the Superman movies a lot to see what those movies did to avoid mistakes in Spider-Man.

Also it was probably easier to mention a character they didn't have to consider in possible crossovers, etc.

Solo

SalsaShark said:
Marvel had little control over this. The movie franchise doesnt belong to them (Sony was it ? i know it was Paramount for the 3rd one).

All Spider-Man movies have been produced by Sony.

bud

i'm really glad they're taking a practical approach this time around. the cgi in the previous films became outdated rather quickly.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
bud said:
i'm really glad they're taking a practical approach this time around. the cgi in the previous films became outdated rather quickly.
I kind of chuckled everytime Spiderman did the "dramatic chipmunk" in the trailers.

Salaadin

The CG was noticeable in the first 3 but I still thought it was tolerable. The way he was animated bugged the hell out of me though....it looks so unnatural.
Those live action swinging shots actually look cool.

Atruvius

Salaadin said:
The CG was noticeable in the first 3 but I still thought it was tolerable. The way he was animated bugged the hell out of me though....it looks so unnatural.
Those live action swinging shots actually look cool.
I remember SM2 having bag CG even the day I saw it. The train sequence with that CG woman just looked awful.

I wonder if J.J. Jameson will be in this. They should cast J.K. Simmons. He was perfect for the role.

iirate

I thought the CG was dated, and the suit never quite worked with the silver webbing (and chubby Toby later on), but both of those things didn't really harm my enjoyment at any point. The second is still my favorite superhero movie, and even though the third sucked, it didn't have much to do with Toby or the costume. In fact, Toby's emo jackass dance number was easily the highlight of the entire film. I still don't get the hate.

Blader

Atruvius said:
I wonder if J.J. Jameson will be in this. They should cast J.K. Simmons. He was perfect for the role.

Simmons isn't in this movie, but neither is Jameson so there's no worry about a recast (yet).

YakiSOBA

So wait, all the marvel superhero movies coming out now are made in-house by Marvel and not by Sony or any other company?

Did a contract expire or something and that's why this is going on?

Blader

YakiSOBA said:
So wait, all the marvel superhero movies coming out now are made in-house by Marvel and not by Sony or any other company?

Did a contract expire or something and that's why this is going on?

No, Sony still owns Spider-Man and Ghost Rider, and Fox still owns X-Men, Daredevil, and Fantastic Four. Everything else is now back under Marvel's umbrella and so they can start producing their own movies in-house (outside of the five I just mentioned).

Marvel sold the movie rights to all their properties to other studios back in the 90s, but most of those projects stalled in development hell, so the contracts expired and properties like Iron Man, Thor, Nick Fury, etc. reverted back to Marvel. Sony and Fox are the only exceptions because they keep putting new films out, which renews their contracts and allows them to hold onto their franchises.

Blader5489 said:
No, Sony still owns Spider-Man and Ghost Rider, and Fox still owns X-Men, Daredevil, and Fantastic Four. Everything else is now back under Marvel's umbrella and so they can start producing their own movies in-house (outside of the five I just mentioned).

Marvel sold the movie rights to all their properties to other studios back in the 90s, but most of those projects stalled in development hell, so the contracts expired and properties like Iron Man, Thor, Nick Fury, etc. reverted back to Marvel. Sony and Fox are the only exceptions because they keep putting new films out, which renews their contracts and allows them to hold onto their franchises.

Which kind of stinks because one day I'd love to see a Civil War film or trilogy.

def sim

SolKane said:
I've never seen GAF this out of touch and cranky before. Damn, go back to Matlock if you got a problem with the wardrobe. This is how teenagers dress.

Pretty much this. What kind of pointdexter shit are some of you guys expecting?

AbsoluteZero said:
I often wonder how much of the final film was changed due to 9/11.

Maybe they removed all the American flags. Mind you, it did end up coming out in 2002, so maybe they'd "got over it", for want of a better term.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I'm officially interested in this movie now. I don't give a fuck how Parker dresses, if the outfit looks a little strange, or if Gwen wears a sweater on her head. There's no way this can be worse than Spider-Man 3. BRING ON THE TRAILER!

*waits for another 6 months for trailer....

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Some pics that I didn't see here yet:

spider-manset-image-03-268x430.jpg

Spider-Man%2BReboot.jpg

I0000WEhrt83FVuo.jpg

testspidermancolo.jpg

Now this is interesting... is that lower half a fan manipulation? Or is that supposed to be a simulated lighting and effects look?

tumblr_lkhcu8qVoC1qhv805o1_1280.jpg

Dude is pretty buff..

tumblr_lkhcrkdEVX1qhv805o1_1280.jpg

Also, part of an interesting interview:

Movies.com: When it comes to The Amazing Spider-Man, how much of it do you imagine is practical and how much of it is CGI?

Vic Armstrong: Our whole approach on this is to go practical. There's already a lot of stuff in the papers and videos on YouTube of him flying, you know. That's what we aim for. Avi Arad, the producer, came to us when we finished this big flying sequence, which we did in three days, a huge amount of flying-- 50, 60 cars and trucks, swinging in and around the tops of them, all for real. Avi said to us, "Oh my God, this is exactly what you promised us! This is what it says on the box!"

And you can see the difference. He's pulling like 2 to 2.5 Gs. We put a G-meter on him in the rehearsal for when he goes through the bottom of one of these swings and pulls up to do the next one. You see the body straighten out, you see all of his muscles; you don't see him swinging with his arms bent holding onto it, it's real. You stretch out when you've got three or four hundred pounds pulling on your wrist with that kind of g-force. All of that's done real, it's just what we're doing.

The whole approach of Spidey is to do as much as we can. Of course there will be some CG, we're in the 21st century, you know. It's just a case of getting the right mixture.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/ne...-man-wont-be-like-other-superhero-movies/2981

Pachimari

Both the photos and the interview has actually been posted earlier in this thread, though four of those pictures haven't been seen in here before I think - thanks. =)

Salvor.Hardin said:

Wow. This is crazy. Since I was/am a huge spidey fan I remember watching this trailer at least 20 times. I remembered every single part lol.

overcast

Damn there are a ton of these pictures. Whole movie will be screen capped before the trailer.

Anyway, OMG WHY IS HE WEARING DARK SUNGLASSES!!

Salvor.Hardin said:

E.S. Posthumus (RIP) for the win. That's when I started getting into trailer music.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, the picture of him with the glasses on, turning around SCREAMS Peter Parker. I'm so hyped for Garfield. Yes, I'm one of those "brown eyes" guys. Also, the costume shot with the edited lighting doesn't look half bad.

Please don't suck, movie, pretty please :(

Say, can't Marvel simply use the Scarlet Spider for introducing Spider-Man to the Marvel Movieverse? Or call him "Spiderman" and Ben Reilly? ;(

Bufbaf said:
Wow, the picture of him with the glasses on, turning around SCREAMS Peter Parker. I'm so hyped for Garfield. Yes, I'm one of those "brown eyes" guys. Also, the costume shot with the edited lighting doesn't look half bad.

Say, can't Marvel simply use the Scarlet Spider for introducing Spider-Man to the Marvel Movieverse? Or call him "Spiderman" and Ben Reilly? ;(

Personally, I prefer that Sony manages the Spider-Man films. They seem intent on making good movies. And while there are some stories floating around about how Sony forced Raimi to shove in Venom in the third film, I don't think that absolves Raimi for what turned out to be poor directing.

In any case, I wouldn't trust Marvel with Spider-Man.

Funtruck

Banned
Bufbaf said:

I think I prefer it that Spiderman is kept far, far away from the Marvel Movieverse.

DMczaf

Funtruck said:
I think I prefer it that Spiderman is kept far, far away from the Marvel Movieverse.

But imagine if Samuel L Jackson and Agent Whatshisface meet Aunt May and ask her about Peter halfway through the movie which has nothing to do with the movie's plot?! SQQUUUUUUEEEEeeeeeeeee

SolKane

Maybe Parker starts out as a dorky glasses-wearing loser, but after starting a relationship with Gwen Stacy he gains confidence and starts to dress more hip.

SolKane said:
Maybe Parker starts out as a dorky glasses-wearing loser, but after starting a relationship with Gwen Stacy he gains confidence and starts to dress more hip.

It actually seems to be the opposite, where he's looking hip during the flashback scene with Ben. They'll probably play the "didn't know what he had until it was taken away from him" angle by showing his attitude towards Ben very teen angstish, and then skip forward to a more mature and thoughtful Parker fighting crime as Spider-Man.

Might as well post my favourite webslinging pictures so far

article-0-0BE5D16D00000578-638_468x409.jpg

article-0-0BE5D14500000578-545_468x364.jpg

aparisi2274

bud said:
Spider-Man%2BReboot.jpg

oh. my. god.

that looks so fucking awesome. can't wait to see that in motion.

You know, with the amount of real stunt work being performed on this movie, I can't believe there hasn't been a serious accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom