• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Linius

I have that icon. It doesn't close apps though, it only wipes my notifications.

While Googling I stumbled upon this though: http://android.stackexchange.com/qu...ckground-apps-at-once-in-android-5-0-lollipop

The top answer is really quite useful. Apparently it's not even a good thing to close all your apps at once. Someone else is also posting a screenshot with the icon you're mentioning by the way and says it closes all the apps for him. Quite strange that it doesn't do the same for me. Guess I'm on different firmware.

EDIT

Made a quick screencap of it. Same icon, different action.

longdi

Banned
Meanwhile this is how S6 lollipop notification drawer looks like, and somehow Samsung's rendition is supposed to be less antiquated than Sony's ...

gs6_navdrawer-100575705-gallery.idge.jpg

longdi

Banned
I have that icon. It doesn't close apps though, it only wipes my notifications.

While Googling I stumbled upon this though: http://android.stackexchange.com/qu...ckground-apps-at-once-in-android-5-0-lollipop

The top answer is really quite useful. Apparently it's not even a good thing to close all your apps at once. Someone else is also posting a screenshot with the icon you're mentioning by the way and says it closes all the apps for him. Quite strange that it doesn't do the same for me. Guess I'm on different firmware.

EDIT

Made a quick screencap of it. Same icon, different action.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=159389692&postcount=7456

My Asian version of 5.02 have the close all menu as above. :)
I seldom if ever used it though.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
My Nexus 7 used 23% battery overnight, that can't be normal? I even use Greenify.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe a wakelock caused by the Google Play services? I think Greenify does not put those to sleep.
Check your battery consumption by apps.

All it had was tablet idle and WiFi, I've changed the WiFi to only stay on if plugged in now instead of all the time.

Edit: Disabled all the Google sync stuff I wasnt using including sound search which is apparently problematic.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
After disabling most of the Google sync options and disabling all the Google apps I don't use I'm happy to say I only lost 1% battery overnight so it's fixed!

Bishop89

ok, so my xperia z3 updated to lollipop. I kind of like it but a few things seem to not be functioning properly.

Firstly the Led notification light. It seems to light up for certain things like facebook notificaitons etc.., but I don't get any blinking for text messages now :/

Is there a reason for this?

Secondly, I dont think I get sound notifications when my messages are open, and I get a new one.

This is starting to bug me.

DrFurbs

After disabling most of the Google sync options and disabling all the Google apps I don't use I'm happy to say I only lost 1% battery overnight so it's fixed!

Root your device. Get lean battery. Switch off all networks at night via the settings and have then check for stuff before you get up. Works good.

OG Kush

There's lots of good about it. There's just a few bits where they dropped the ball that I really hope might get tidied up for 5.1.

The mail widget wasn't updated. The dialler needs work - the button to access contacts is way too small and badly placed, and the actual dialler has a very non-material design grid. The fact that the bloody NFC icon still can't be removed on the UK firmware was bad enough, but now it's not even aligned correctly. And the sound options need to come back to the power menu.

But apart from that, it's not bad at all.

UK firmware on a unbranded z3 compact here.. don't have the NFC icon. I removed it.

New Lollipop firmware (Android 5.0 still not 5.1) has begun rolling out for the Xperia Z series. Sony's site indicates the release started on May 5 but as like last time it depends on carrier approval so most are still waiting (though some have received the update). Followers of this thread will be happy to hear a major addition is the re-inclusion of the Close All button!

lunchtoast

Decided to give it another shot since you can install xposed for 5.1. Everything seems to be running fine, all the modules I got seem to work including gravity box. Might be looking at getting a dark theme since I don't like the bright setting screens.

Hope the battery is better than 5.0. Using Franco.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Just got an update for my Moto X! Still 4.4.4 ... What the hell? :(

Moto really dropped the ball on this one. I've been a gigantic fan of Moto phones and my past 3 phones have been their 'flagship' models but my next one won't be.

YoungHav

Banned
I have a Samsung S4 (SPH-L720). I got notification to download Lollipop. I did and it said I needed 3GB in order to install. I did not have that much space, but accidentally hit install. The install failed. So I just cleared enough space on my phone and I am not getting any update prompts. I'm still stuck on 4.4.2 and anytime I try to manually update it says there's no firmware or software update available. How do I get the prompt to come back?

jvm

Gamasutra.
I have a Samsung S4 (SPH-L720). I got notification to download Lollipop. I did and it said I needed 3GB in order to install. I did not have that much space, but accidentally hit install. The install failed. So I just cleared enough space on my phone and I am not getting any update prompts. I'm still stuck on 4.4.2 and anytime I try to manually update it says there's no firmware or software update available. How do I get the prompt to come back?
Yes, this is how it "works". You'll have to wait for the RNG to put you in the pool again. :(

you go to XDA and update it manually

YoungHav

Banned
LOL I wasted my time till 3am on Samsung's website live chatting with some person or bot that ended up telling me to factory reset my phone. Said hell no and ended the conversation there.

Found Samsung's KIES website, downloaded the program and was able to update the firmware through that. I'm liking Lollipop 5.0, just looks better. I feel like I have a new phone lol.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Hey, hey. My Moto X (2013) got a notice this morning and I installed an update. The notes said this is the first of two updates to prepare my phone for Android 5.0 Lollipop.

andthebeatgoeson

Let me just say I'm disappointed. My droid turbo battery sucks balls. And I have no desire to fix it. Why can't every phone give me 5 hours of screen time and last all day. That's all I ask.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Let me just say I'm disappointed. My droid turbo battery sucks balls. And I have no desire to fix it. Why can't every phone give me 5 hours of screen time and last all day. That's all I ask.

I've got a Droid Turbo and the battery lasts all day. Was it the same before the update for you?

Nikodemos

I've asked this in the general Android thread but received no replies.

Can anyone tell me how can I restore my app icons in the installed apps list?

Some of them disappeared after installing 5.1.1 on my Xperia M2. I still have the apps installed and can still see them if I tap on the home screen to set shortcuts, but they don't show up in the main app listing.

tzare

I've asked this in the general Android thread but received no replies.

Can anyone tell me how can I restore my app icons in the installed apps list?

Some of them disappeared after installing 5.1.1 on my Xperia M2. I still have the apps installed and can still see them if I tap on the home screen to set shortcuts, but they don't show up in the main app listing.

have you checked Xperia app drawer settings? There is one option that only shows installed apps or something similar, if i remember correctly. It is done by swiping left in the app drawer and you will see the option to manage apps.
If that doesn't solve the issue i'd do a wipe , but that means reinstalling all apps and backing up everything.

Nikodemos

have you checked Xperia app drawer settings? There is one option that only shows installed apps or something similar, if i remember correctly. It is done by swiping left in the app drawer and you will see the option to manage apps.
Yes, I currently have it set to 'custom' which apparently orders apps according to both time of install and whether or not they came default with the phone.

Top Bottom