• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
One more day of February and still no lollipop for my Droid Turbo.....

Just got home from work and plugged my phone in to charge. Decided to fire up Kies, as I am want to do on occasion, and found that it was ready to install Lollipop on my UK Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505) on EE.

... in case anyone was interested.

I had to delete a tonne of stuff though as I only had 800MB left on the internal memory, and it wouldn't let me proceed until I had at least 3GB free. So many apps got uninstalled, or had their updates removed so I could start the upgrade. Gonna have fun reinstalling stuff afterwards :(

Can anyone recommend a better way to see what's using up all my internal memory, as the application manager is actually pretty crap at indicating the problem items.

obin_gam

Updated my Sony XZ3C to Lollipop yesterday. Need some help.

- How do I find the "mute" and/or the "vibrate only" buttons? Have they removed the possibility completely?

- Is there any way to change the status bar from that anoying light blue color when an app is open? (I have Nova Launcher but I cant find an option there either)

- Is there an app where I can only see the weather in the status bar on the lockscreen instead of that annoying large bar below the clock?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So I thought the moto x finally got 5.0 then I realized it was just the moto mobility update app had an update to 'prepare for the 5.0 update'

Arrgh what a tease.

Sch1sm

Updated my Sony XZ3C to Lollipop yesterday. Need some help.

- How do I find the "mute" and/or the "vibrate only" buttons? Have they removed the possibility completely?

- Is there any way to change the status bar from that anoying light blue color when an app is open? (I have Nova Launcher but I cant find an option there either)

- Is there an app where I can only see the weather in the status bar on the lockscreen instead of that annoying large bar below the clock?

lol, nah. L has modes - None, Priority, or All. None is full silent, you get nothing. No sound, nada. Not even alarms. Priority is your alarms, whatever you set as a priority app within settings, and whatever contacts you set as priorities. There is no real "vibrate only" button there. When you're choosing your mode, tap the bell on the left of the slider, it'll move to vibrate mode.

obin_gam

lol, nah. L has modes - None, Priority, or All. None is full silent, you get nothing. No sound, nada. Not even alarms. Priority is your alarms, whatever you set as a priority app within settings, and whatever contacts you set as priorities. There is no real "vibrate only" button there. When you're choosing your mode, tap the bell on the left of the slider, it'll move to vibrate mode.

Vibrate only mode can be entered by lowering the sound all the way down and than pressing the volume down once more

Fantastic. Instead of just having one button like before.

I seriously hope someone got fired over this decision.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Vibrate only mode can be entered by lowering the sound all the way down and than pressing the volume down once more

Just holding the volume down key for a second is enough, as the lowest volume step IS vibrate. No repeated pressing required. At least that's the case on my N5. Perhaps you were thinking about silent mode, which you would previously enter the way you describe (but doesn't exist anymore).

Fantastic. Instead of just having one button like before.

I seriously hope someone got fired over this decision.

Vibrate is just one button press/hold.

Yesterday I got another update for my S5 and it undid all that notifications/vibrate mode mess Lollipop introduced :p
Not it's back to how it was and my phone is much more usable again! :)

Suck it person who though of it it first place :p

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I wish 5.1 would hit the Nexus 7, it seems to fix a lot.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Still no lollipop on my 1st Gen MotoG.... I've pretty much given up on getting an official distribution of it at this point.

rezn0r

If anyone is still using an LG G2 like me, Lollipop is out today for it... somehow not for the G3 though. Installing now.

Lollipop 5.1 just landed on my Nexus 5 here (UK on O2 PAYG). I am really hoping it sorts out the mess that was lollipop on my Nexus 5. It was getting that bad I was close to ditching my N5 for a Moto G on 4.4.3.

Anyway I will see how it goes over the next few days, but hopefully it can't be any worse than 5.0.2.

Got the 5.1 notification on my Nexus 5 (UK) but it just says waiting for download...

220.7MB

Yeah it's a problem at Googles end I think. I got the notification and left it but it refused to download. Eventually it came back with "failed to download" and gave me the option of retrying, which I did do. The second time it started dowloading at 500k per second (was on my home wifi which is capable of 3.4mbps). So I think Googles servers are a wee bit slow right now.

I got 5.1 for Nexus 5 & 7 yesterday. I've not really tried the 7 but my 5 seems a bit snappier, not encountered long-use slow down (yet). Hopefully it stays that way.

DrFurbs

guys i have an issue and im not sure how to proceed. I rooted my Nexus 5 a few days ago and installed Elemental X kernel.

Today I received the 5.1 update. Can I install as normal on my Nexus or do I have to say reverse everything I did (im not even sure how i would do this).

advice Gaf please.

Sch1sm

guys i have an issue and im not sure how to proceed. I rooted my Nexus 5 a few days ago and installed Elemental X kernel.

Today I received the 5.1 update. Can I install as normal on my Nexus or do I have to say reverse everything I did (im not even sure how i would do this).

advice Gaf please.

Go flash 5.1 manually. Sorry.

I have had 5.1 on my nexus 5 for a couple of days now and I can honestly say it is a 100% improvement over the god awful 5.0.2. I have not noticed any home screen redraws, there is no slow down or stutter now and my phone has been on for 2 straight days without a power down (on 5.0.2 I had to power on and off twice a day). There are still a couple of things I absolutely despise about lollipop but I can put up with them. I am just glad my phone is back into a usable state now.

Having said that I won't be upgrading my Nexus 7 (2012) and (2013) to lollipop 5. I just wish there was some way to remove that damn system update icon on the top bar.

Lulu23

Still no 5.1 on my Nexus 5 yet. I'm on Congstar in Germany, if that makes any difference.
I specifically bought this to get updates faster, yet I had to flash to 5.0.1 from KitKat and now 5.1 isn't showing up for me. Sigh.

Jokab

I wish I hadn't updated to 5.1, now the LED still blinks in priority mode, which is the main reason why I use it in the first place. Blinks in none mode too... Dammit google, just give me a way to customize the LED.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
There isn't even a file available for Nexus 7 2013, so I can't even skip OTA. I hear it's much better than 5.0 so I really want the upgrade.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Got the 5.1 update for my N5, couldn't install it (rooted + custom bootloader), so I just flashed it. Never a bad thing to start fresh, and I keep very little data on my phone that isn't backed up in the cloud. The main thing I have to manually backup and restore is SMS messages. Bit of a pain, but now that SMS Backup & Restore uploads to Google Drive it's no biggie.

Seems to run well so far, haven't run into any noticeable memory issues yet (although I know those problems aren't completely fixed yet).

New Z3 Compact owner here (UK). Sony is supposed to be rolling out Lollipop worldwide starting this week so I'm patiently waiting for it. Anyone know when the update is supposed to hit?

Ensirius

New Z3 Compact owner here (UK). Sony is supposed to be rolling out Lollipop worldwide starting this week so I'm patiently waiting for it. Anyone know when the update is supposed to hit?
I should be getting a Z3 this week.
The regular one. I hope It is not too big.

There have been talks on how it would receive lolipop last week. Now it's this week?

Staab

The official update is out and you can download it directly from their servers to flash it.
OTA updates are, however, carrier dependent so you might be waiting a bit longer.

It's only 5.0.2 and not 5.1 but they took their time and it's been stable / battery friendly so far for me !

mrklaw

MrArseFace

There have been talks on how it would receive lolipop last week. Now it's this week?

My D6603 SIM Free Z3 got it a couple of weeks ago. Although when I bought it, it had a European charger and they threw in a UK adapter in the box so it may be a European version - any way to check?

Mindwipe

My D6603 SIM Free Z3 got it a couple of weeks ago. Although when I bought it, it had a European charger and they threw in a UK adapter in the box so it may be a European version - any way to check?

Dial *#*#7378423#*#*

Then go Service Info > Software Info > Customization Version.

That identifies your model, if you Google it you should be able to find the version.

Mindwipe

The official update is out and you can download it directly from their servers to flash it.
OTA updates are, however, carrier dependent so you might be waiting a bit longer.

It's only 5.0.2 and not 5.1 but they took their time and it's been stable / battery friendly so far for me !

Not if you're in the UK you can't. The UK version hasn't had Lollipop released yet. Still.

(It allegedly failed testing with a UK carrier, and will hopefully be rolled out this week, but it's pretty unforgivable for Sony to have provided no information about this.)

Lucius86

Banned

A lot of countries still haven't received it yet. In the end I got fed up in the UK and downloaded the French ROM - works absolutely fine on three (handset was bought unlocked).

If you download XperiFirm, you can check ahead of your purchase if Lollipop has been released for your network/country yet.

Ovek

7Member7
I'm tired of waiting for the non-existent 5.1 update for my Nexus 9... suppose it might get the 5.1.1 update in the next 12 months.

So poor build quality and now shitty software update cycles for a device that has to have some of the worst memory leaks I have ever seen, that let's face it should have been fixed long before 5.1 was a twinkle in Google's eye.

SliChillax

A lot of countries still haven't received it yet. In the end I got fed up in the UK and downloaded the French ROM - works absolutely fine on three (handset was bought unlocked).

If you download XperiFirm, you can check ahead of your purchase if Lollipop has been released for your network/country yet.

My friend has a bug with his Z3 Compact running Lollipop, the phone always searches for a 3G connection and it drains the battery.

reKon

Banned
My friend has a bug with his Z3 Compact running Lollipop, the phone always searches for a 3G connection and it drains the battery.

There a lot of comments from Xperia Z3 and Z3C owners on the Sony blog warning against getting the lollipop update. Too many complaints on issues with the update. I'm just going to hold off even if the update comes.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hey, 5.1 is actually a marked improvement over 5.0. I know the memory leak supposedly isn't entirely fixed yet (as it has several causes and not just one), but I haven't seen it happen yet after updating (or rather flashing, which might be significant?). No home screen redraws, Chrome tabs seem to stay in memory for much longer, etc. But perhaps this is just the bittersweet consequence of a fresh install, and it'll start happening again in a while.

Other small additions are nice (quick access to Wi-Fi networks and Bluetooth devices in quick settings, dismissing heads-up notifications without getting rid of them completely, accessing the regular volume/DND controls while playing media, etc), but overall nothing earth-shattering. Just fixing some of the crappy things about 5.0.

Too bad location-based smart lock is completely broken, as I found that really useful, but I'm pretty sure that has to do with Play Services. Hope they can get a fix out there quickly.

Lucius86

Banned
There a lot of comments from Xperia Z3 and Z3C owners on the Sony blog warning against getting the lollipop update. Too many complaints on issues with the update. I'm just going to hold off even if the update comes.

To be honest I have been fine with the phone since the update, but I know not everyone has the same experience.

It provides a nice slick graphical interface, but if that doesn't matter to you it could be worth waiting until the next update after Lollipop - either 5.1 or an updated 5.0.2.

Tempted to do the same. The Sony forums are overwhelmed with posts from Z3/Z3C owners complaining about a multitude of faults from the update. The major concern is the battery drain. One of the main selling points of the Z3/Z3C is it's godlike battery so I'm hesitant to upgrade if it's going to lead me to be forced to charge it every night. I bought the Z3C to evade that.

As for Lollipop it's becoming tiresome waiting for it. So many other manufacturers have already issued the update and Sony is taking forever. I still believe they produce wonderful and beautifully engineered phones but their software support is dire. The Sony site states that Lollipop is available now and yet it's not. They haven't even announced a firm release window yet.

"Next week or possibly the week after" is all you can find if you research it. Anyone know anything I'm missing?

Top Bottom