• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Blackhead

Redarse
I had high hopes for the new multitasking view but the more I used it the more unwieldy it became. I turned it off and suddenly there 19 tabs in Chrome, some from days before. Was the back button broken?! iOS is even worse with all the inbuilt app browsers and developers now begging for a safari view controller. i.e. a modal window that pops up and takes over the whole UI. Goddam I miss webOS so much; everybody should copy webOS cards design already ― six years old and it's still the best :) ... :| ... :(

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
In previous versions of Android when I pressed the volume buttons it would change media volume, but in Lollipop it changes the notification volume, is there a way to change this?

jvm

Gamasutra.
So, yeah, this happened.

Last night I was dreaming, and in the dream I pulled out my Moto X phone and noticed that the UI was replacing itself with Android 5.0 pieces.

Not sure what it means when you dream about a phone's OS updating itself. I'm not even that bothered by it!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I had high hopes for the new multitasking view but the more I used it the more unwieldy it became. I turned it off and suddenly there 19 tabs in Chrome, some from days before. Was the back button broken?! iOS is even worse with all the inbuilt app browsers and developers now begging for a safari view controller. i.e. a modal window that pops up and takes over the whole UI. Goddam I miss webOS so much; everybody should copy webOS cards design already ― six years old and it's still the best :) ... :| ... :(
I miss my HP Veer.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Wireless has been awful for me in Lollipop, it's very spotty and will just pause or stop working regularly for say 20 - 30 seconds at a time. Even after a factory reset it's the same. Kit Kat worked perfectly.

M.Bluth

Multitasking view has become completely pointless in Lollipop. The damn thing shows far too much to be usable :/

Sch1sm

In previous versions of Android when I pressed the volume buttons it would change media volume, but in Lollipop it changes the notification volume, is there a way to change this?

It only changes media volume when you're in a game/video/whatever. Otherwise it defaults to notification volumes. There was an .apk floating around in the last Android OT that changed that.

Edit: Found it!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It only changes media volume when you're in a game/video/whatever. Otherwise it defaults to notification volumes. There was an .apk floating around in the last Android OT that changed that.

I stopped using this app because there's no way to enable or disable Priority Mode.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

Cheers, that'll do the job.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Flashing back to Kit Kat, Lollipop has been a nightmare. My wifi has been so slow and unstable ever since the switch, and it keeps dropping out every few minutes which never happened before. It seems a lot of people are in the same boat and I'm just sick of dealing with it.

My carrier finally released 5.0 for my Galaxy S5...

and now I'm disappointed as several features of 5.0 are not on the S5 >.>

While it updated I was looking online which new features it brings for android and was happy to stuff like adding NFC chips to trusted devices (so that you don't have to unlock the phone first) or pinning apps to the lock screen. But nope, Samsung says no.

I also prefer the old UI design and the new notifications look a bit cluttered, although I like that I can see them on the lock screen (also finally a camera shortcut but that was some regional thing on the S5 for whatever reason..).

RoadHazard

Gold Member

While it updated I was looking online which new features it brings for android and was happy to stuff like adding NFC chips to trusted devices (so that you don't have to unlock the phone first) or pinning apps to the lock screen. But nope, Samsung says no.

I also prefer the old UI design and the new notifications look a bit cluttered, although I like that I can see them on the lock screen (also finally a camera shortcut but that was some regional thing on the S5 for whatever reason..).

Surprise, Samsung ruins stuff with TouchWiz!

i just looked online

One thing that seriously irritates me is the new way it handles notification sounds, alarms, calls etc. via these new Interruptions settings.

It overrides app settings and even when customized it still isn't as useful as before.

I also need now another button to turn my phone completely silent as the bell icon only switches between Sound and Vibrate mode.

This is how it was for me before:
- Sound (I'm e.g. at home) = all notifications play their respective sound and LED color, none vibrate
- Vibrate (phone is e.g. in my pocket/ at work etc.) = select notifications vibrate, others make no sound or vibration (e.g. whatsapp) but they show their LED light.
- Silent (I'm e.g. at the cinema, funerals, presentations etc.) = Nothing makes a sound or vibrations, still shows LED colors so that I can quickly check if I got something.

I can't figure out how only select apps vibrate but that all still play their jingles when the sound is turned on. Or how to get the LEDs to show in all three modes.
Do I seriously need third party apps to fix this or did I miss some hidden settings again?

edit: oh and the LED continues to blink until I actually open the message/notification etc. even after turning on the screen to check what it was (wasn't like this before, it would then only blink again if something new arrives).

DarkFlow

Banned
Picked up a Nexus 9 yesterday. I really like it so far, but I think I'll take it back to best buy and exchange it. I got a launch model with the recessed buttons and springy back. So I'll see about getting a new one.

Thanks! I'm using fingerprint for lock mode and it didn't show anything in the Trusted devices tab. But when I switched to PIN it was suddenly there and I added the NFC tag. Back to fingerprint now and Smart lock is still there :)
Yeah, OEMs messing up settings forever. What else did you notice was missing in the GS5 Lollipop?

terrier

Yeah, OEMs messing up settings forever. What else did you notice was missing in the GS5 Lollipop?

I can talk for my wife's GS4 LTE lollipop(5.0.1) update: pin app is missing. It is a nice feature to have and seems to be missing.Also torch switch in drop down quick settings seems to be missing.. And i really don't understand why since there's nothing on their own settings that could interfere with that. Still checking how it performs though
ANd yes, new sound settings may be more 'advanced' if you take your time to set it but is really annoying. Phone vibrates all night because it does not have silent mode.

Smart lock is there, not sure if from start, but once i paired the phone with my car's BT it saw it was there.

newjeruse

I updated to 5.0.1 on Friday and my default messaging app is basically unusable. It slows to a crawl when I try to text any of my main contacts. I had to switch to a 3rd party app, but that has its own issues. Any tips?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I updated to 5.0.1 on Friday and my default messaging app is basically unusable. It slows to a crawl when I try to text any of my main contacts. I had to switch to a 3rd party app, but that has its own issues. Any tips?

What is your default messaging app? I use Google Messenger, works great if all you need is a clean SMS/MMS app.

terrier

but should be easier , really, not buried into options.
It is like the mess with no silent mode and priority notifications. Really, just keep (google) silent mode for those who want it and add priority for advanced control, but samsung has made it even more difficult since pusshing volume button doesn't show the option for priority notifications unlike stock.
Hope all this gets sorted out in future updates, but it is really confusing. This is one of those things apple seems to do right (it is easier since fewer devices but still)

but should be easier , really, not buried into options.
It is like the mess with no silent mode and priority notifications. Really, just keep (google) silent mode for those who want it and add priority for advanced control, but samsung has made it even more difficult since pusshing volume button doesn't show the option for priority notifications unlike stock.
Hope all this gets sorted out in future updates, but it is really confusing. This is one of those things apple seems to do right (it is easier since fewer devices but still)

you're comparing it to stock when you should be thinking about it from the perspective of people coming from KitKat on the device.

newjeruse

What is your default messaging app? I use Google Messenger, works great if all you need is a clean SMS/MMS app.
I didn't realize that Google switched default messaging apps with Lollipop. I've switched to Messenger, which is fine, even though it has difficulty dealing with picture texts.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Where the hell is 5.0 for my Droid Turbo? Or should I be glad they're still taking the time to work out bugs?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I don't like lollipop.

Cant search through a song on the lockscreen anymore.

Youtube stops playing when minimized now

Chrome tabs integrated with app tasker? Thankfully you can turn that off.

And these cards on my lock screen are annoying.

Sch1sm

I don't like lollipop.

So turn them off in your app notification settings?

Mindwipe

Sony Why I still dont have lollipop on my Z3 Compact?
Why is there no ETA?
Why, why ,why ??

The ETA is February, so it's down to two days now, technically...

That is of course assuming Sony meets their deadline, which doesn't seem that likely atm given the radio silence.

this_guy

Finally got the lollipop update for my 2014 Moto X (AT&T version). So right off the bat I'm getting an error telling me an app needs Google Play Services needs to be updated to the latest version, and the Play Store is telling me I already have the latest version. I have 2 Photos apps in my app drawer ( I don't mean Photos and Gallery, I mean 2 Photos apps right next to each other), and I'm having some issues sending group mms messages (people are telling me I'm sending multiple texts). Glad Motorola waited until all the bugs were worked out.

3phemeral

Finally got the lollipop update for my 2014 Moto X (AT&T version). So right off the bat I'm getting an error telling me an app needs Google Play Services needs to be updated to the latest version, and the Play Store is telling me I already have the latest version. I have 2 Photos apps in my app drawer ( I don't mean Photos and Gallery, I mean 2 Photos apps right next to each other), and I'm having some issues sending group mms messages (people are telling me I'm sending multiple texts). Glad Motorola waited until all the bugs were worked out.
Try installing the latest version to see if it helps.

Staab

Sony Why I still dont have lollipop on my Z3 Compact?
Why is there no ETA?
Why, why ,why ??

From what I heard, they're delaying the update because of the big amount of bugs present in 5.0 and they want to correct them before pushing the update.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
From what I heard, they're delaying the update because of the big amount of bugs present in 5.0 and they want to correct them before pushing the update.

I used Lollipop for a week before reverting, it was a mess.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I used Lollipop for a week before reverting, it was a mess.

I've been using it since release, nothing about it is a mess. The memory leak is a tad annoying, but that's pretty much it. No other noteworthy issues. Best Android release ever by far.

Perhaps you had a bad update or something. People who did a clean flash, like me, seem to be very happy with it except for that memory leak. Of course, a simple update SHOULD work properly, but I personally wouldn't do that anyway with such a major release.

NotBacon

I don't like lollipop.

- Okay, minor annoyance

- That's always happened, not a lollipop thing

- Can be disabled

- Can be disabled (but why would you??)

So basically one minor annoyance ruins an entire OS for you that has been upgraded massively in performance, UI, UX, etc.....

rrvv

I've been using it since release, nothing about it is a mess. The memory leak is a tad annoying, but that's pretty much it. No other noteworthy issues. Best Android release ever by far.

Perhaps you had a bad update or something. People who did a clean flash, like me, seem to be very happy with it except for that memory leak. Of course, a simple update SHOULD work properly, but I personally wouldn't do that anyway with such a major release.

I think is the memory leak that they want to address since it probably going to ruin the battery life. Which one of the feature the brag on.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
- Okay, minor annoyance

- That's always happened, not a lollipop thing

- Can be disabled

- Can be disabled (but why would you??)

So basically one minor annoyance ruins an entire OS for you that has been upgraded massively in performance, UI, UX, etc.....

how do you allow youtube too keep playing while minimized? i could do it fine before i upgraded. it was actually my favorite thing about the youtube app while on the road.

and the ability to search through a song while locked is not a minor annoyance. it goddamn sucks.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
how do you allow youtube too keep playing while minimized? i could do it fine before i upgraded. it was actually my favorite thing about the youtube app while on the road.

I don't know how you did that, it's never been a thing. What ROM were you using when you could do that?

and the ability to search through a song while locked is not a minor annoyance. it goddamn sucks.
did you downgrade from Android M because those things weren't in KitKat so Lollipop couldn't remove them.

Top Bottom