• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

Whelp I had a "nice" surprise today. My dear old mum accidentally updated the Nexus 7 (2012) to Lolipop. I let her off since she is 73 and just thought it was something important and just did it. Anyway she was finding the Lollipop filled tablet virtually unusable. I had a look at the thing and it was running worse than a 20 quid Chinese no-brand tablet.

The only option open to me was to try and revert back to 4.4.4 via flashing. This was kinda problematic because the usb connector on the nexus 7 was dodgy as fuck. But the Nexus7 was so unusable on Lollipop that there was no other choice but to risk bricking the fucker.

Thankfully things went smoothly and the tablet is now back on 4.4.4 and it is pretty snappy again. Plus this was the first time I have ever flashed an Android device and it was fairly painless so it is giving me pause for thought in that I could flash my Nexus 5 back to 4.4.4. At the moment 5.0.1 is bearable but it gets more annoying every day. With 4.4.4 I could leave my phone on for months on end, with 5.0.1 I am having to turn the damn thing on and off at least once a day.

LQX

Nope, not in the slightest.

OG N7, oookay. Not experiencing the lag some others are?

I was having seconds thoughts because of feedback about it not running well on the N7 but no issues. Even played a few games right before making this post and still no lag.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Whelp I had a "nice" surprise today. My dear old mum accidentally updated the Nexus 7 (2012) to Lolipop. I let her off since she is 73 and just thought it was something important and just did it. Anyway she was finding the Lollipop filled tablet virtually unusable. I had a look at the thing and it was running worse than a 20 quid Chinese no-brand tablet.

The only option open to me was to try and revert back to 4.4.4 via flashing. This was kinda problematic because the usb connector on the nexus 7 was dodgy as fuck. But the Nexus7 was so unusable on Lollipop that there was no other choice but to risk bricking the fucker.

Thankfully things went smoothly and the tablet is now back on 4.4.4 and it is pretty snappy again. Plus this was the first time I have ever flashed an Android device and it was fairly painless so it is giving me pause for thought in that I could flash my Nexus 5 back to 4.4.4. At the moment 5.0.1 is bearable but it gets more annoying every day. With 4.4.4 I could leave my phone on for months on end, with 5.0.1 I am having to turn the damn thing on and off at least once a day.

Congrats on the flash.

Please tell me you tried a factory reset to see if the performance improved before flashing kitkat

eso76

Ah, well then. Try a factory reset. Going in clean when upgrading to a newer OS is usually a good thing to do anyways.

i'll do that. It's not just sluggish, opening YT and Chrome makes the device freeze for a few seconds. I opened a page with a few gifs and the thing stopped responding for minutes, i was this close to throwing it against the wall.

I experienced performance loss with every update and i thought it was just a way to force you to upgrade..but well, truth be told I..uhm...NEVER did a factory reset since buying it.
It's probably needed. Badly.

Is it going to erase ALL data and settings ?

Ahasverus

I experienced performance loss with every update and i thought it was just a way to force you to upgrade..but well, truth be told I..uhm...NEVER did a factory reset since buying it.

yep! backup your pics and files. Contacts and apps are automatically synced with your googlw account so they will be autodownloaded.

CengizMan

I am always excited about big updates, but I cannot stand the long waits for Android updates. Wish I could just get stock Android on my Sony Xperia Z2.

lunchtoast

After two weeks I'm back on 4.4. Had compatibility issues with some apps and huge battery drains when playing audio, the phone would just stay awake, I was losing 10% an hour.

I was using the optipop rom. I haven't tried stock yet but I have no interest due to it missing some features I'd miss from roms/gravity box.

I'll probably try again in a few months.

Ahasverus

The reason why factory reset is important, and even more this time, it's because the runtime change lets the old cache files and app data still on the phone, the new runtime art doesn't use them but still access them trying to adapt them which puts an additional weight on the proccessing. Keep in mind that other updates still leave traces of unused/bloated files. A factory reset with Lollipop ensures the apps use the new runtime and creage the appropiate files to run it.

NotBacon

i'll do that. It's not just sluggish, opening YT and Chrome makes the device freeze for a few seconds. I opened a page with a few gifs and the thing stopped responding for minutes, i was this close to throwing it against the wall.

Yeah just enable cloud backup in the Photos app. Then go to Settings>Accounts>(your Google account) and make sure all the desired syncs are up to date.

ito007

I just just got it for my OG N7 as well, but I'm getting better performance on it. That being said it was shit before, but now it made it bearable. I'm going to test it out on Cytus

adroit

My 2012 Nexus 7 finally got the "OTA" today. The only significant quirk so far was that the Google Movies and TV player would play for a while and then reset back to the beginning of the video! If I dragged the slider back to where I was watching, it would play for a while longer and then do it again. Clearing the app's cache appears to have solved that problem. Update: no it didn't. Argh.

That app has a different problem that started while I was still running 4.4.4. If I turn off "Info Cards" in the player's settings, the title bar and system buttons aren't hidden while the video is playing. To get them to hide, I have to toggle the "Info Cards" setting each time I start playing a video. Extremely annoying. I think this started with the last app update (when they switched to the new interface). Not enough testing.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
5.0 has made my device slower and more crash happy.

(Nexus 7 2013)

Mindwipe

No one mentioned this yet? Weird.

5.0.2 is available now. On the N10 and the N7 2013 WiFi model, at least.

I'm not doing a full wipe for a point zero one update. I'll be interested when the OTA is there to be sideloaded.

Well, actually I'm still not that interested given the memory leak fix seems to be in 5.0.3.

Sch1sm

I'm not doing a full wipe for a point zero one update. I'll be interested when the OTA is there to be sideloaded.

Well, actually I'm still not that interested given the memory leak fix seems to be in 5.0.3.

Note I didn't say flash it. ...this time. ;) I did for 5 and 5.0.1 since roll outs were questionable, but eh.
I wipe my N5 so regularly a flash makes me feel nothing. Fresh installs of everything. Feels so brand new. I love it.

iJudged

Banned
Just got the note 4, have to exchange it. Anyone else with a camera focus issue? It doesn't focus, I have to literally shake my phone until it focuses, even then it doesn't work... ;(. Also, when should I expect the lollipop on note 4? I am with tmobile.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just factory reset my Nexus 7 2013 and flashed 5.0.2, I was sick of the sluggish performance. It seems much better now.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Been going to "check for upates" on my Droid Turbo every day now waiting for Lollipop but I've just given up now. I'll just wait for a damn notification. What's taking so long?

SimleuqiR

If you are using a Nexus 5 (6) you should give this camera app a try:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/01/1...ext-purchase-if-you-own-a-nexus-5-or-nexus-6/

manual-camera-2.jpg

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
n00b question, how do I set my default screen? I'm using stock launcher on a Nexus 7 2013. When I used a custom launcher I could delete screens I wasn't using and select the default but I can't figure it out using stock.

Went to CM11 (4.4.4), 5.0.1 was just too battery-hungry. Guess I'm a CyanogenMod fan now. I'd like that Manual Camera app but I guess I'll have to see if CM12 is stable enough in a few months.

Jinroh

I updated my Galaxy S5 through Kies to Lollipop. Now it's much slower and there are some strange things such as notifications not appearing on the top of the lockscreen. Some features seem to be missing.

I wish there was an easy way to install cyanogenmod on the Galaxy S5, Touchwiz is as bloated and slow as ever. Very disappointed.

adroit

I did a factory reset today and it didn't fix the problem I'm having with the Google Play Movies & TV app on my Nexus 7 2012. The app still randomly restarts the video from the beginning. This problem started after I applied the 5.0.2 OTA update (from 4.4.4) yesterday.

Anyone else use this app? Having any problems with it randomly jumping back to the beginning of a video you are watching?

It isn't a bandwidth problem. I'm not getting a bandwidth warning and it isn't dropping back to SD. There is no error or message. It just momentarily does a red swirly icon in the center of the screen and starts playing from the beginning of the video.

I'll try reporting this problem via the feedback mechanism in the app. Is there a better way to report bugs in Google apps?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
n00b question, how do I set my default screen? I'm using stock launcher on a Nexus 7 2013. When I used a custom launcher I could delete screens I wasn't using and select the default but I can't figure it out using stock.

You can't delete screens with the old stock launcher (which the N7 uses by default). Install the new one (Google Experience Launcher, I think it's called on Play) instead, it's much better. You can't exactly set the default there either, but at least you don't get empty screens. It only has as many screens as you're using, and automatically adds new ones when you need them.

Just to give an update. I factory reset my 2012 N7 and it fixed the extreme lag and slowness. Its way faster now.

Sucks I had to do that though. O wells.

Blackhead

Redarse
Are there any mods for the multitasking view in Lollipop? My Nexus 5 is rooted but not xposed. I'd like it to only show open apps, or a limited number of recent apps, not the long rolodex of every window ever opened lol

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just to give an update. I factory reset my 2012 N7 and it fixed the extreme lag and slowness. Its way faster now.

Sucks I had to do that though. O wells.

Same here, Nexus 7 v2 was running like ass until I factory reset and flashed the latest firmware. Worth it in the end though.

So whenever I get an incoming call (phone set to vibrate) my phone is blank until I click the button to see the home screen. Is this normal? Anyone else find it weird you can't see who's calling without clicking? I remember it would basically show what the home screen displays before the latest update...

Sch1sm

For Nexus 5 users, just got the OTA update for 5.0.1

Been rolling out for ages, haha. A lot of us just flashed to save the trouble.

For those of us using Android 5.0 and up, dunno if you heard, but: Air Droid now has AirMirror support for Lollipop devices.

Still no sign of a update on my moto g 2014

So much for Motorola doing timely updates I guess.
They were run a lot better under Google I think. GPE got this update so quick. It's like they're running from one fire to another. I don't expect to get it before 5.1 now. Thing that pisses me off most is that their answer is always "we're working as fast as possible" there's no ETA at all. If they could just say at least a month I'd forget about it for a while.

Top Bottom