• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android 5.0 Lollipop announced

reKon

Banned
Tempted to do the same. The Sony forums are overwhelmed with posts from Z3/Z3C owners complaining about a multitude of faults from the update. The major concern is the battery drain. One of the main selling points of the Z3/Z3C is it's godlike battery so I'm hesitant to upgrade if it's going to lead me to be forced to charge it every night. I bought the Z3C to evade that.

As for Lollipop it's becoming tiresome waiting for it. So many other manufacturers have already issued the update and Sony is taking forever. I still believe they produce wonderful and beautifully engineered phones but their software support is dire. The Sony site states that Lollipop is available now and yet it's not. They haven't even announced a firm release window yet.

"Next week or possibly the week after" is all you can find if you research it. Anyone know anything I'm missing?

I was thinking that the Sony had to have halted the rollout to work on these issues that people are reporting. I was assuming that a lot of the UK/US haven't received this. But then I thought if that's the case, then why would have announced they are rolling out the update to the Z2?

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/04/07/xperia-z2-rollout-widens-to-include-hspa-d6502-model/

I just don't get it Sony...

EDIT: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=59850372&postcount=518

^ This post seems to be pretty positive. Maybe I'll just remove my SD card and factory reset my phone before applying the update..

I was thinking that the Sony had to have halted the rollout to work on these issues that people are reporting. I was assuming that a lot of the UK/US haven't received this. But then I thought if that's the case, then why would have announced they are rolling out the update to the Z2?

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/04/07/xperia-z2-rollout-widens-to-include-hspa-d6502-model/

I just don't get it Sony...

EDIT: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=59850372&postcount=518

^ This post seems to be pretty positive. Maybe I'll just remove my SD card and factory reset my phone before applying the update..

Thanks for responding. Sony seem to be steam rolling ahead with the update for the entire Z series regardless of the issues people are reporting. I'm guessing our phones should be okay after applying the update. I've been tempted to flash the update myself but I literally just got my Z3C mere days ago and I don't want to brick my phone or void the warranty. Quick question. Sony tweeted that the Z3 Dual will receive Lollipop next week. Reading around people are saying this also includes the Z3/Z3C.

Do you know if that's correct? Will the Z3/Z3C be getting the update next week?

reKon

Banned
Thanks for responding. Sony seem to be steam rolling ahead with the update for the entire Z series regardless of the issues people are reporting. I'm guessing our phones should be okay after applying the update. I've been tempted to flash the update myself but I literally just got my Z3C mere days ago and I don't want to brick my phone or void the warranty. Quick question. Sony tweeted that the Z3 Dual will receive Lollipop next week. Reading around people are saying this also includes the Z3/Z3C.

Do you know if that's correct? Will the Z3/Z3C be getting the update next week?

The Z3/Z3C rollout already started apparently. For some reason I haven't received it yet via OTA (I need to check the companion app again when I get home). My post from earlier was just me considering not getting it because of the reported issues, but I suspect those having issues didn't do a clean install of their proper firmware...

http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2015/03...eria-z3-compact-and-xperia-z3-tablet-compact/

If you go through with the upgrade, just back up your text messages/pictures/videos and do a full factory reset

The Z3/Z3C rollout already started apparently. For some reason I haven't received it yet via OTA (I need to check the companion app again when I get home). My post from earlier was just me considering not getting it because of the reported issues, but I suspect those having issues didn't do a clean install of their proper firmware...

http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2015/03...eria-z3-compact-and-xperia-z3-tablet-compact/

If you go through with the upgrade, just back up your text messages/pictures/videos and do a full factory reset

Ah okay. Thanks for the clarification. So the Z3/Z3C update has already begun? As far back as March 30? Just wondering why it's still not available for me yet given it's April 9 now. I'm in the UK if that helps. Where are you based? I thought it was strange that Sony kept announcing more and more phones and the Z3/Z3C was ignored so your post was incredibly helpful and enlightening.

If you do get access to the update please do post here when it happens as it'll probably be available for me around the same time.

reKon

Banned
Ah okay. Thanks for the clarification. So the Z3/Z3C update has already begun? As far back as March 30? Just wondering why it's still not available for me yet given it's April 9 now. I'm in the UK if that helps. Where are you based? I thought it was strange that Sony kept announcing more and more phones and the Z3/Z3C was ignored so your post was incredibly helpful and enlightening.

If you do get access to the update please do post here when it happens as it'll probably be available for me around the same time.

I live in the US. I preordered the 16GB black version from Handtec so mine is a launch unit.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/04/0...n-certified-for-the-xperia-z3-and-z3-compact/

So I was reading through here and it seems that the update that was certified could possibly be a fix for whatever problems people were having with 5.0.2. It was certified as of yesterday so it could be at least a week until this gets pushed out. According to some comments I read, some people were getting the update not OTA, but through the Sony Companion app. What I'm not sure about is if this update means that Sony halted the existing one from being pushed through. There's been no communication on this on their part.

The funny thing about all this is that my phone has been working flawlessly and I have gotten great battery life. The only problems I was having was Sony's album application crashes too frequently for some reason. I don't actually need the upgrade, but I just have the urge for some reason to just upgrade to Lollipop because I like it on my Nexus 7 (still waiting on 5.1 on my Nexus 7 (2013) though..)

I live in the US. I preordered the 16GB black version from Handtec so mine is a launch unit.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/04/0...n-certified-for-the-xperia-z3-and-z3-compact/

So I was reading through here and it seems that the update that was certified could possibly be a fix for whatever problems people were having with 5.0.2. It was certified as of yesterday so it could be at least a week until this gets pushed out. According to some comments I read, some people were getting the update not OTA, but through the Sony Companion app. What I'm not sure about is if this update means that Sony halted the existing one from being pushed through. There's been no communication on this on their part.

The funny thing about all this is that my phone has been working flawlessly and I have gotten great battery life. The only problems I was having was Sony's album application crashes too frequently for some reason. I don't actually need the upgrade, but I just have the urge for some reason to just upgrade to Lollipop because I like it on my Nexus 7 (still waiting on 5.1 on my Nexus 7 (2013) though..)

Yeah. Reading around on the Sony forums it looks likes the update for the Z3/Z3C did begin on March 30 but then Sony quietly delayed the roll out based on the negative feedback. The users on there have indicated that Sony is pushing Z3/Z3C owners to 5.1 in the hopes that it will resolve everyone's issues as opposed to forcing them to update to 5.0.2 and then have them experience the battery drain issues and so on. I guess it's a clever move but it's frustrating that every phone manufacturer on the planet was faster than them and in terms of their communication about this they haven't handled it well at all. They essentially announced something that failed to happen and then intentionally went silent.

According to the Sony forums your theory however is correct. Just a waiting game now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, I just tried Lollipop on both a Galaxy S4 and an S6 today, and yeah, it's terrible. I mean, is it better than pre-L TouchWiz? Sure. But they've ruined so much of the great clean look of stock Lollipop (their quick settings pane is just dreadful), along with making it less smooth to use in several ways (like the paginated settings menu that you unintuitively can't swipe through). Reconfirmed my conviction to never, ever get a Samsung phone (at least not unless I can get it with stock Android).

I don't get it. I mean, I get that they want to stand out in the crowd of samey Android phones, but do it by adding useful features (which they do occasionally do), not by ruining the great stuff that's already there. But such is their way. It's like they just HAVE TO change EVERYTHING, even if what they end up with is much worse.

Also still strongly dislike physical home buttons.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Why won't Motorola just come out and admit it- Droid Turbo is never getting lollipop.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Fuck you Sprint.. they need to admit Moto X gen 1 isn't getting it either. Unsure if it's a moto problem or sprint problem but still fuck sprint.

I hate this damn service. I'm off contract in November. Praise be to T-Mobile.

Well, I just tried Lollipop on both a Galaxy S4 and an S6 today, and yeah, it's terrible. I mean, is it better than pre-L TouchWiz? Sure. But they've ruined so much of the great clean look of stock Lollipop (their quick settings pane is just dreadful), along with making it less smooth to use in several ways (like the paginated settings menu that you unintuitively can't swipe through). Reconfirmed my conviction to never, ever get a Samsung phone (at least not unless I can get it with stock Android).

I don't get it. I mean, I get that they want to stand out in the crowd of samey Android phones, but do it by adding useful features (which they do occasionally do), not by ruining the great stuff that's already there. But such is their way. It's like they just HAVE TO change EVERYTHING, even if what they end up with is much worse.

Also still strongly dislike physical home buttons.

This is why I'm extremely hesitant to update from Kit Kat when Lollipop hits. I'm reading stories like this everywhere in tandem with the Z3 Compact specifically not handling Lollipop that well. I might hold off for a while. My phone's perfectly fine with Kit Kat. Is it that difficult to roll back the update if it doesn't work out? I'm curious to try out Lollipop but I don't want a situation as you posted where I'm not happy with it and then have to go through the arduous process of trying to downgrade back to Kit Kat.

Guess I could just try it out when it hits. What are the main advantages with Lollipop over Kit Kat anyway?

I thought lollipop was supposed to fix the issues with id tags. The issue was that kitkat couldn't access the sd card to change music id tags and that lollipop would fix this. I update to lollipop and it still doesn't work. What gives? Are the apps just not updated to work with it yet or what?

I'm told that Android 5.1.1 for both Android phones/tablets/etc and Wear will be released "in the coming days" (perhaps later this week or next week). Android Wear update may be released together or separately sometime after the main 5.1.1.

I'm guessing Google may be just waiting for 5.1.1 to update N9, N4, and N7 2013.

You should expect that gesture control and Wi-Fi in Wear 5.1, as previously rumored.

https://plus.google.com/+ArtemRussakovskii/posts/V8JQoUPaqsB

I hope it's later on today, so I can install it onto my N7 2013 and finally be able to use it without the Contacts App crashing.

So apparently UK networks (like Vodafone) rejected Sony's Android software and that's what's causing the hold up. O2 have essentially said the same thing on their forums. TBH they're probably cancelling 5.0.2 now and are probably just going to go with 5.1 or 5.2 as we've speculated. Not sure what the hold up is in the US. Potentially the same thing? On the O2 forums the guy said to expect the update within two weeks of the official roll out which takes us to April 14 so here's hoping that's correct.

I guess it depends on how fast Sony can get them another build. Hoping that they ultimately go with a later Android version.

I thought lollipop was supposed to fix the issues with id tags. The issue was that kitkat couldn't access the sd card to change music id tags and that lollipop would fix this. I update to lollipop and it still doesn't work. What gives? Are the apps just not updated to work with it yet or what?

Lollipop won't fix that. only root will.

reKon

Banned
So apparently UK networks (like Vodafone) rejected Sony's Android software and that's what's causing the hold up. O2 have essentially said the same thing on their forums. TBH they're probably cancelling 5.0.2 now and are probably just going to go with 5.1 or 5.2 as we've speculated. Not sure what the hold up is in the US. Potentially the same thing? On the O2 forums the guy said to expect the update within two weeks of the official roll out which takes us to April 14 so here's hoping that's correct.

I guess it depends on how fast Sony can get them another build. Hoping that they ultimately go with a later Android version.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/04/1...ompact/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

^ This info just came in.

I wonder if I have to wait until the UK gets the update since I bought mine unlock from there. I'm living in the US and using T-Mobile and it seems like a lot of people in the US got the updated. Maybe it's because they bought from the US Sony store? I don't know..

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/04/1...ompact/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

^ This info just came in.

I wonder if I have to wait until the UK gets the update since I bought mine unlock from there. I'm living in the US and using T-Mobile and it seems like a lot of people in the US got the updated. Maybe it's because they bought from the US Sony store? I don't know..

Read the comments on that link you posted and I think you're correct. If it's a UK phone you may have to wait for the UK to get the update. Some good news on that front:

Lollipop heading soon to entire Z-series

Hi everyone… We know you’ve been waiting patiently for this hugely anticipated update so we wanted to share some great news with you all. We have approved the Z2 & Z3 Lollipop updates - these are now with Sony to schedule and push out. We don't have a confirmed date at present but keep your eyes peeled for next week folks ;-)

Approved devices:
Xperia Z3
Xperia Z3 Compact
Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact
Xperia Z2
Xperia Z2 Tablet

Other Z-Devices?
We have no further details at present but keep an eye on this thread - i'll update it whenever we know more.

Source: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Androi...ng-soon-to-entire-Z-series/td-p/861212/page/3

So according to a representative from O2 they've approved the update and are expecting it next week. I'm almost certain other networks in the UK will be the same. So next week. Finally.

EDIT: Just a small update. The O2 representative responded again said it should land around the middle of the week so presumably Wednesday.

Just a heads up for Sony Xperia owners residing in the UK. All carriers have approved and released the Android 5.0 update today so it's available on most Sony devices now. Also of note is that users residing in other countries are reporting they also had access to the update today. Thought I'd let you guys know as I know some of you have been waiting on this for ages.

As for Android 5.0 I was apprehensive at first after the negative impressions but overall I'm finding it quite amazing. I actually like the upgrade to the notifications. Everything else (in the Sony version of the software) seems about the same. Just slicker, faster and better. Not experiencing those battery drain reports at all either (Z3 Compact owner here).

Now for Sony to up their game and get on Android 5.1. Seems strange to rush out 5.0 when 5.1 is just around the corner.

OG Kush

Yeah updated my Z3C. Its decent. The app viewer/changer/multitask thingy (the bottom right button on the phone) is ABSOLUTE SHIT now. Why would they make less usable? and theres no even close all apps button. Quite a major problem to me.

jambo

5.1 on my Nexus 5 is running way better than 5.

I'm assuming the issues I was having were related to the memory leaking, as the device would become unresponsive and apps would crash.

No issues since updating, everything has been super smooth and no crashes.

other things that leaked from Sony some hours ago
huehuehue

finally based sony updated the Z1 also my Z2 Tablet was updated

uzEj5n4.png
gmw9OE7.png

3phemeral

5.1 for Nexus 7 2013 still has the memory leak, but it looks like 5.1.1 will be available for it and Nexus 9 next week.

I've lost count how many times I've told my mom to update and then not to update. I hate troubleshooting her Nexus 7 from a different state. I should be able to Chrome Remote Desktop her tablet.

Panzon

I'm really not feeling this lollipop update at all. Now my G3 feels slower, the home and back buttons look weird and the phone just doesnt feel the same overall. Pretty disappointed with this

So Lollipop is pretty fucking cool on my Z3 Compact. Slick, sleek and fast. A brighter and more pleasant interface too. I'm not getting the overwhelming wave of negativity and complaints about it elsewhere though (like the Sony forums for example). The battery life on my Z3 Compact is almost identical to before providing you keep an eye out for renegade apps running in the background and as for the "Close all" button it's still there; it has just shifted in to a different icon. Most people must just not be noticing that. I think ultimately it was much ado about nothing as this feels like a slight, incremental upgrade as opposed to the massive overhaul that I was hoping we'd receive. It's just somewhat faster and better with nothing major or revolutionary.

Hoping Sony picks up the pace now and delivers Android 5.1 soon. I'd like to stay up to date.

Mindwipe

So Lollipop is pretty fucking cool on my Z3 Compact. Slick, sleek and fast. A brighter and more pleasant interface too. I'm not getting the overwhelming wave of negativity and complaints about it elsewhere though (like the Sony forums for example). The battery life on my Z3 Compact is almost identical to before providing you keep an eye out for renegade apps running in the background and as for the "Close all" button it's still there; it's just shifted in to a different icon. Most people must just not be noticing that. I think ultimately it was much ado about nothing as this feels like a slight, incremental upgrade as opposed to a massive overhaul that I was hoping we'd receive. It's just somewhat faster and better with nothing major or revolutionary.

Hoping Sony picks up the pace now and delivers Android 5.1 soon. I'd like to stay up to date.

There's lots of good about it. There's just a few bits where they dropped the ball that I really hope might get tidied up for 5.1.

The mail widget wasn't updated. The dialler needs work - the button to access contacts is way too small and badly placed, and the actual dialler has a very non-material design grid. The fact that the bloody NFC icon still can't be removed on the UK firmware was bad enough, but now it's not even aligned correctly. And the sound options need to come back to the power menu.

But apart from that, it's not bad at all.

Linius

So Lollipop is pretty fucking cool on my Z3 Compact. Slick, sleek and fast. A brighter and more pleasant interface too. I'm not getting the overwhelming wave of negativity and complaints about it elsewhere though (like the Sony forums for example). The battery life on my Z3 Compact is almost identical to before providing you keep an eye out for renegade apps running in the background and as for the "Close all" button it's still there; it has just shifted in to a different icon. Most people must just not be noticing that. I think ultimately it was much ado about nothing as this feels like a slight, incremental upgrade as opposed to the massive overhaul that I was hoping we'd receive. It's just somewhat faster and better with nothing major or revolutionary.

Where did the close all button go to?

Where did the close all button go to?

Keep in mind I have a UK Z3 Compact with UK O2 branded firmware so your software might be different or rather not updated yet but on mine it has shifted from a "Close all" rectangle that used to be on the top right to an icon that looks like three books stacked on top of each other to the bottom right. I hit that and it performs the same function as "Close all".

Does your firmware have that icon? If it doesn't Sony are supposed to be bringing it back across all regions and devices in a future update. Everyone should have it by Android 5.1.

So I should just stop checking on Lollipop for Droid Turbo. Beware the ides of exclusive phones.

Motorola was smart enough to skip 5.0 and go straight to 5.1. In fact they had enough concern rolling out 5.0 to their users that the canceled the soak test for the 2013 Moto Moto X. They are in the middle of developing 5.1 for all phones but there has been no news of an ota.

To answer your question there is absolutely zero reason to check for updates when you can find out the most up to date information on the matter online. Blindly hitting the update button on your phone is nothing but aggravating.

Doesn't sound like anything I have. You might have a screenshot of that to be sure?

Googled a screenshot for you:

Android-Lollipop-notifications-AA.jpg

It's in the first panel. Just below the notification is that diagonal icon of the three books stacked on top of each other. This is what I have. Do you have it on your version of the firmware?

Top Bottom