• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Artem says it's on SALE tomorrow:

Artem Russakovskii
Shared publicly - 4:03 PM

Alright, guys. Looks like the original rumor I shared way back on October 2nd about the October 31st Nexus 5 launch is going to end up being spot on ( https://plus.google.com/+ArtemRussakovskii/posts/1HahekQTUQX ).

Several previously reliable sources have confirmed that the Nexus 5 (I have no information about KitKat, sorry, just sticking to N5) launch is indeed scheduled for tomorrow, October 31st.

The release should happen no later than 11am Pacific, but knowing Google, it's probably going to be between 8-8:30 and 10am. 11am is the worst case scenario.

Hold on to your butts, people, we're about to finally have lift-off!

mturco

I barely need 8GB, I'm just getting the 32GB for resale value. Plus, if there's only a $50 price difference, it's hard to justify not getting double the storage.

Nicktendo86

I don't understand Google's thinking with this at all. Why just release it one ramdom day and not hold a conference earlier in the month to build hype?

I don't understand Google's thinking with this at all. Why just release it one ramdom day and not hold a conference earlier in the month to build hype?

Clearly, they didn't need to build anything.

If you've seen these threads and Reddit in the past month, you'd know that people are fucking HYPED for this thing, way more than they'd ever be with a boring conference.

Groof

Or even holding a conference at all. They had a conference for the new N7 and 4.3, which was a very small, incremental upgrade. But the N5 which is, to me, a slightly bigger release and 4.4 which is a much bigger upgrade don't get a conference.
Unless they're holding it in secret.

Nicktendo86

Clearly, they didn't need to build anything.

If you've seen these threads and Reddit in the past month, you'd know that people are fucking HYPED for this thing, way more than they'd ever be with a boring conference.
But that is just the tech nerds who would be hyped anyway, why not something for the general public?

Shambles

But that is just the tech nerds who would be hyped anyway, why not something for the general public?

Because the general public only cares about the phones the carrier lets them upgrade to every 2 years. I think Google see's the current nexus user base as the early adopters who are going to be the ones to convert the general public from being contract locked slaves into more people interested in pre-paid plans and unlocked devices. At the end of the day it's just a phone. The spectacle around most tech launches (IE Apple, GPU vendors) is usually just embarrassing self-fellatio.

Nicktendo86

Because the general public only cares about the phones the carrier lets them upgrade to every 2 years. I think Google see's the current nexus user base as the early adopters who are going to be the ones to convert the general public from being contract locked slaves into more people interested in pre-paid plans and unlocked devices. At the end of the day it's just a phone. The spectacle around most tech launches (IE Apple, GPU vendors) is usually just embarrassing self-fellatio.
True points. Personally, I prefer an in depth verge reveal like with the n4 and n10 last year, it just seems odd how they are just releasing the n5 and kit kat like here you go, deal with it.

SimleuqiR

*** Your credit card is expired! ***

Time for you guys buying through the Play Store to update your Google Wallet accounts. JUST IN CASE.

Groof

True points. Personally, I prefer an in depth verge reveal like with the n4 and n10 last year, it just seems odd how they are just releasing the n5 and kit kat like here you go, deal with it.

Truth be told, I'm just happy we're getting KitKat finally.

Threi

notag
16gb is fine for most people, i haven't needed more than that, and that's with me caching a playlist of 100+ songs offline in Spotify. 32gb only if you think you're gonna need it or just want the extra space just in case.
My 8GB n4 isnt even close to full. Not that i wouldnt mind an SD card, but for what i use my phone for the majority of the time i really don't need much space on my phone at all.

The majority of things that would take up space are either on my tablet or in the cloud.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I posted this in the Galaxy S4 thread, but it's for all intents and purposes dead, so I wonder if any of you might know what's going on:

So I'm trying to get the new update, but I can not for the life of me find the software update option in the settings. Am I looking in the wrong spot? The only options I can find under More is "System Update" and "About device". And even then, under those there is no option for updates beyond the Samsung Software and the phones Firmware (both of which have no updates available.

Is my phone just acting extra dumb or is it me?

I posted this in the Galaxy S4 thread, but it's for all intents and purposes dead, so I wonder if any of you might know what's going on:

So I'm trying to get the new update, but I can not for the life of me find the software update option in the settings. Am I looking in the wrong spot? The only options I can find under More is "System Update" and "About device". And even then, under those there is no option for updates beyond the Samsung Software and the phones Firmware (both of which have no updates available.

Hope you don't have it rooted. Samsung is being a bitch and trying to lock down the bootloader with Knox and it's causing a pain in the ass for people to update.

staggered rollout, you could get it now or in up to 7 days...

Tweeted Samsung support USA about Knox saying I'm not buying another Samsung product if they continue trying to lock devices down and they reply saying they'll forward it for analysis.

..what the fuck is there to analyze? Stop trying to lock down your phone. You're not apple.

Mikeside

Does anyone know of a trick that will work to let me store my Google Play Music tracks on the SD card on my XPERIA Z1?

Have tried the xposedinstaller + music2sd route and it ain't workin' :(

mturco

Tweeted Samsung support USA about Knox saying I'm not buying another Samsung product if they continue trying to lock devices down and they reply saying they'll forward it for analysis.

..what the fuck is there to analyze? Stop trying to lock down your phone. You're not apple.

Hahaha that's great.

My case is ready:

IMG_20131030_183851_zps749a303b.jpg

FYI, the Nexus 4 barely fits in it. The N5 isn't much bigger at all.

So has anyone else had this problem:

When I plug my phone into the auxilary in my car, the phone starts constantly bringing up the voice dialer. I have to play my song then set the phone down slowly. If the phone moves the voice dialer comes on again. Its really, really annoying and I'm not sure why its happening. Does this happen to anyone else?

wilflare

not sure where else I can ask... but does anyone know how to do the following?

(1) Default App Manager - Customize which apps/links/etc open which apps (rather than going through each of them one by one)

(2) Menu Manager - Can we customize what actions are available when we press the menu key on the homescreen and app drawer?

(3) Share With/Via Manager - any way to edit what goes on to the list?

I hope it's not like here is the news dump it's available NOW!!!! Give us at least an hour or two to prepare lol. Otherwise I'll have to be up early and f5'ing all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom