• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mturco

So basically it's 1mm wider than the One and 1mm thinner. I guess I can live with it since it also has a 0.3" bigger screen, but I really want a smaller phone...

tino

Banned
Jesus Christ, so much negativity. He's upset that a major electronics company is doing research and spending their own money on impossible tech? If you care to look through my post history you'll see that I don't curse, but fuck that guy. Is he mad that people read Popular Science and get excited about concepts that are way off in the future and/or not practical?

In order to make the phone cost efficient, every component need to be shirnked to the soc as much as possible. There is absolutely no reason why you should have a phone without GPS, bluebooth and other sensors, so why leave them out in separated hardware boxes?

Only things people are asking are bulky accessories like controller sticks, bigger camera, bigger battery etc. These accessories should go through the open standard like the bluetooth protocal.

This idea is very poorly thought out. Maybe Motorola should tackle the concept of a common interface for controllers. People are actually asking for that.

In order to make the phone cost efficient, every component need to be shirnked to the soc as much as possible. There is absolutely no reason why you should have a phone without GPS, bluebooth and other sensors, so why leave them out in separated hardware boxes?

Only things people are asking are bulky accessories like controller sticks, bigger camera, bigger battery etc. These accessories should go through the open standard like the bluetooth protocal.

This idea is very poorly thought out. Maybe Motorola should tackle the concept of a common interface for controllers. People are actually asking for that.
But that's not the point of my post though, is it? By calling experimental R&D "stupid" and avoiding the exploration of outlandish ideas, you miss out on all kinds of accidental discoveries and advances.

You say the idea is very poorly thought out. It's not thought out at all! It's just the beginning of a concept. The "thinking out" of it will involve lots of research, testing, and implementations that will result in who knows what. Maybe they'll dramatically change the structure of GPUs. Maybe they'll revolutionize SoCs.

Calling experimentation "stupid" is an obstacle to progress. To use a hyperbole, I hope you wouldn't fault NASA's Mars missions for not being cost-effective.

panda21

i don't get the point of phoneblocks, it just seems like another one of those stupid stories that gizmodo or lifehacker posts about some concept art someone rendered without any actual engineering that would make it work.

the only components i can imagine you would replace are batteries (and thats kind of already a thing...), the main processor, the camera, and the screen. you don't need a modular phone architecture for that. plus why would it be in anyones interest to make those components when they can lock you into buying them all from them?

if big companies contacted this guy for anything other than PR, because they really couldn't come up with this idea on their own, thats pretty damn pathetic.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I wonder if there will even be anything we'll know about the phone next week after it's unveiling that we don't already know at this point.

Zeppu

I wonder if there will even be anything we'll know about the phone next week after it's unveiling that we don't already know at this point.

Nah. Google's announcement will probably be:

"It's on sale. For further information regarding the product please Google 'Nexus 5 Rumours'"

tino

Banned
But that's not the point of my post though, is it? By calling experimental R&D "stupid" and avoiding the exploration of outlandish ideas, you miss out on all kinds of accidental discoveries and advances.

You say the idea is very poorly thought out. It's not thought out at all! It's just the beginning of a concept. The "thinking out" of it will involve lots of research, testing, and implementations that will result in who knows what. Maybe they'll dramatically change the structure of GPUs. Maybe they'll revolutionize SoCs.

Calling experimentation "stupid" is an obstacle to progress. To use a hyperbole, I hope you wouldn't fault NASA's Mars missions for not being cost-effective.

Well my point was Motorola, an engineering company, shouldn't be purposing such a inpracticle idea. If this is an idea from a university lab, I would not be such a downer. If this is an idea from a student's graduate thesis and he wants to move it to fund rising stage I would not have a problem at all.

For Motorola doing it, its getting cheap PR buzz for free, with a non-product. It's like one of those concept cars only made for the car shows, but butt ugly and only in drawing stage.

SimleuqiR

2013+-+1

tino

Banned

Galaxy S5! With a curve screen warp around the edge of a magnesium alloy full metal body! 5.2 inch screen in a MotoX sized body! Coming out CES 2014!

Shambles

Well my point was Motorola, an engineering company, shouldn't be purposing such a inpracticle idea. If this is an idea from a university lab, I would not be such a downer. If this is an idea from a student's graduate thesis and he wants to move it to fund rising stage I would not have a problem at all.

For Motorola doing it, its getting cheap PR buzz for free, with a non-product. It's like one of those concept cars only made for the car shows, but butt ugly and only in drawing stage.

Yeah, those dozens of highly paid intelligent engineers obviously don't know anything. Time for the internets' armchair army to show us how much more they know.

jokkir

i don't get the point of phoneblocks, it just seems like another one of those stupid stories that gizmodo or lifehacker posts about some concept art someone rendered without any actual engineering that would make it work.

The idea behind it is cool. If you want an upgrade/fix, just swap part of the phone that you want to upgrade/fix with little pain and without buying an entirely new phone.

The problem with this is it actually practical and doable? I could see that there will be many problems with this especially the size or specs of the phone. Phones nowadays cram as much crap inside the enclosure that it's practically using every possible space it can to fit into that hardware. With this modular phone idea, it would either have to sacrifice form factor and size to get the same spec'd phone or sacrifice the specs to get a small phone.

But of course that's what the R&D process is for and who knows, it might become a reality considering how fast the mobile industry is going in hardware innovation.

It's an exciting idea but I'm really skeptical if it will actually come to fruition and if it does, awesome.

Motorola is just rolling with this to get out of obscurity to avoid what Blackberry has become. Motorola hasn't really had an idea to excite the masses since the RAZR and is using the positive reactions of Phonebloks to their advantage.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think Phonebloks is a ridiculous concept and backwards thinking. That said, great on them for trying to do something new. This industry has been stale since the iPhone 4.

I think Phonebloks is a ridiculous concept and backwards thinking. That said, great on them for trying to do something new. This industry has been stale since the iPhone 4.

I think the phone industry will go through what the TV guys are dealing with now. Everyone will get a phone that's good enough and be satisfied without spending an extra 200 bucks.

mturco

So which of you guys in this thread are buying a Nexus 5 immediately as soon as they go on sale? I am.

Edit: Also, what size/color? I'm thinking 32GB black.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If I do get it, which I go back and forth on all the time, I'll get a white 16 GB. I never owned a white phone. And I like that it has a black front. Until the move to completely holo lite, it needs a black screen.

tino

Banned
I am buying a black N5 for my friend. It's not that geat a deal really. You can get a LG Optimums G Pro new for 370 shipped on ebay. It has a 32GB memory. Buy a N5 $350 16GB from google will cost another $40 tax and shipping. You get faster soc, smaller battery and half the memory.

32gb Black (but I'll take whatever is available)

I'm down to about 500mb free space on my 16gb N4, although I do need to move about 1gb of photos off my phone. Rest is music and apps.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I haven't decided if I want it or not. My N4 is still going strong. It will have to depend on the camera quality

Bboy AJ

Uh huh. You'll be second in line, right behind me.

... I am weak. If the camera is beast, I'll get it. If not, I may get it. I really still love my N4.

Looks like I'm the only (potential) #whitenexu5 GAFer.

jokkir

Anyone think that Google will finally improve their camera software? It seems like they're pushing photos as seen with the Google+ thing yesterday and the alleged Nexus 5 slogan

mackattk

Coming from a 8gb Nexus 4, I would recommend paying the extra to get 32gb. It is one of the reasons why I changed from the Nexus 4, I couldn't take the usable ~5GB of space anymore.

Groof

16gb is fine for most people, i haven't needed more than that, and that's with me caching a playlist of 100+ songs offline in Spotify. 32gb only if you think you're gonna need it or just want the extra space just in case.

Nicktendo86

16gb is fine for most people, i haven't needed more than that, and that's with me caching a playlist of 100+ songs offline in Spotify. 32gb only if you think you're gonna need it or just want the extra space just in case.
I just uninstalled junk of my n4, apps and games I have not used for months, and have 9gb free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom