• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

this is a pretty technical question:

Someone I work with had the unfortunate experience of having a verizon employee delete every picture on her S4 with a single click (quite the design flaw if you ask me). I've read that it's likely the data is still on the phone, and I'm trying to do a recovery. Here are the problems I've run into:

Android 4.2 no longer allows mounting internal storage as a USB drive, so any utilities on my PC that would be able to scan the partition for data won't work. Even with android debugging there seems to be no way to mount internal storage as anything other than mtp/ptp

I found a method that involves backing up the entire phone to raw, converting to vhd, then scanning, however it requires root, and this phone is not rooted (nor can I root it).

Anyone have any ideas?

tino

Banned
Amazon's Kindel thinks it's a stupid idea.

Ara is a stupid idea. We're already at the point where cost of the plastics & connectors are greater than the electronics.
https://twitter.com/ckindel/status/395210360812101632

Its a very dumb idea. You can already basically order phone in any configuration you want.

Want SD800? Pick from the SD800 phones. Want waterproof? Get the Z1. Want super long battery? Get a Samsung and a zerolemon battery. Want something cheaper? You can already buy a new phone with SD600 from $250 to 350. Virtually every phone allow you install 3rd party launcher and ROM. You pretty much can install ROM on phones with locked bootloader anyway. You want something crazy like a 6.5" screen you can always go to China. There is no reason for thngs like GPS to sell separatedly.

Zeppu

Well if they made an event for that then I'm certain that we'll get an event for the Nexus 5. But maybe it'll be just like this. Short notice, focus on showing it to audience online rather than the press. And a couple of people in the room to not clap.

Zeppu

I just got the new store!

lol
N2iqjZn.png

panda21

anyone using flyne?

i really like the way it presents stories, but i'm not sure if i trust the author with twitter after what happened with falcon pro.. does it actually log you into twitter or is it just pulling the list of people you follow?

jokkir

"The Android app and video calling features will be available in a few days, while the On Air improvements will roll out over the next few weeks."

Hangouts with the GIF, Location and SMS in a "few days". I guess with Kitkat

MattDoza

I expect Android Police to have an APK by the end of day.

They posted it a while ago.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...-play-store-4-4-21-with-slide-out-navigation/

EDIT: You were probably talking about Hangouts.

anyone using flyne?

i really like the way it presents stories, but i'm not sure if i trust the author with twitter after what happened with falcon pro.. does it actually log you into twitter or is it just pulling the list of people you follow?

I checked it out and spent the $1 to get feedly support. It doesn't seem to be pulling all news stories, and just a random selection of them. It's not pulling anything new as the day progresses. I have no idea what it's doing with Twitter, though. You have to pay for each service individually. I saw no point in it pulling Twitter. I use Falcon Pro for that lol.

Groof

anyone using flyne?

To be fair, he didn't have much choice with Twitter. The way they try to shoo away all the 3rd party Twitter applications made it impossible for him to keep going.
Though he shouldn't have just removed it from Play Store completely like he did.

PriitV

anyone using flyne?

It logged me in twitter and presented me with two optioons, either get articles from my timeline or from one of my lists (I chose my "media" list) and it's been working wonderfully so far.

iavi

So, I'm guessing 'Photos' will replace gallery in 4.4?

Lawd let that be true. I need not this redundancy in my app drawer.

Nicktendo86

Just had a realisation, the new Google photos icon wasn't in any of the 4.4 leaks, neither was that snazzy new share ui. Hopefully there are a lot more new ui tweaks still to be seen, including holo light settings?

Zeppu

The more I think about it, the more the more I keep going back to the idea that 4.4 is complete decoupling of major modules of the whole system, allowing entire layers to be isolated and updateable on their own.

Kit Kats just happen to be a perfect metaphor for this.

Or maybe (probably) I'm just delusional because I'm tired of waiting for news.

Nicktendo86

The more I think about it, the more the more I keep going back to the idea that 4.4 is complete decoupling of major modules of the whole system, allowing entire layers to be isolated and updateable on their own.

A little from column a, a little from column b.

iavi

The launcher soon becoming "The google experience" or something to that effect in the playstore (if that rumor was real) actually lends credence to your theory.

Zeppu

Imagine how cool it'd be having a central core module, which if remaining backwards compatible (or rather keep implementing older interfaces) could be updated on its own, bringing new OS functionality/API without breaking skins and OEM software.

That'd be awesome.

Nicktendo86

Imagine how cool it'd be having a central core module, which if remaining backwards compatible (or rather keep implementing older interfaces) could be updated on its own, bringing new OS functionality/API without breaking skins and OEM software.

That'd be awesome.
But ars told me that Google was closing off android and is evil and whaaaahhhh

Quasar

So here is an embarrassing question. With the official twitter app, how do you access lists? The UI does not make it obvious.

on devices that shipped with a Gallery app, the Gallery will still be there when you upgrade the G+ app.

just like how the AOSP browser was still there when Chrome dropped.

what will happen is the newer Nexus devices just won't ship with a 'Gallery' app just like they didn't with the AOSP browser...

yyzjohn

Banned
I don't think so. In that Android Police screenshot, gallery is still there.

Yeah I have the gallery app but a new icon for Google photos (which is just a shortcut to Google+ photos) maybe in the future they'll replace gallery with this since it also accesses your camera roll

JonnyBrad

on devices that shipped with a Gallery app, the Gallery will still be there when you upgrade the G+ app.

just like how the AOSP browser was still there when Chrome dropped.

what will happen is the newer Nexus devices just won't ship with a 'Gallery' app just like they didn't with the AOSP browser...

Chrome was a special case as it was beta as hell at the time it was released.

Google Calendar replaced the old aosp calendar so there is form for removing old aosp apps, obviously having 2 basically identical calendars would have been stupid however.

3phemeral

oooh, i just got an email from Google that said i can claim a custom URL of google.com/+MyName

i guess they're rolling those out to normal people now?

Did they send a link where you can accomplish this, or instructions on how? I don't have an email but would like to claim it before anyone else with similar names can. :)

Fatalah

Google's up to something tonight!

"Something's up: 11 Google apps are awaiting updates on the Play Store"

It happened in the last hour. All of the apps below are currently showing Oct 29, 2013 as the most recent update; but there's no changelog and no roll out yet. If you include Google+ (which had its own press event), that's 12 apps now 14 apps that will be updated at some point this week.

Could tomorrow be N5/Kit Kat day? Or is it just bug fixes as part of 'update Wednesday'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom