• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindwipe

Like USB C? The port Apple invented? Or Webkit? The rendering engine Apple invented? Or did ecosystem politics get in the way there, too?

Maybe Apple will make a proprietary wireless standard. Who knows. But their attention to it will bring about real competition instead of this shit Bluetooth we've been stuck with. Apple Watch relies on BT, too, and it's a huge issue. They know it. There will be something better soon.

As others have noted, Apple didn't invent either of those. But irrespective, I'd say two crucial things. First, Apple doesn't use USB C on mobile devices, and there's no sign of them starting. Second, WebKit was literally years ago.

Anyone have experience reading comics on a Nexus 7? The Marvel Unlimited thread over in regular Off Topic got me thinking that maybe I want to start reading comics.

Is the Nexus 7 too small?

I used to do all my comic reading on an N7, so no, the screen is high res enough is perfectly doable and very portable. I mean, bigger is better for comic reading but it's not a bad idea at all.

linkboy

I'm not gonna say the sound quality is perfect. It's not audio engineer level.

Yet I use that shit everyday in my car. Zero issues. Makes me wonder just wtf you people are doing. It just works for me whether in my car or using BT headphones or speakers.

Same here. I have a pair of LG Tone infinim's. Use them with my phone and mp3 player and they work great.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What's consensus on SD820? As much as I love my 6p I feel the throttling a bit too much when playing anything on my phone. Wanting to upgrade already.....

It's better, but it's not worth what you'd have to pay to get a minor upgrade. It's better, but it's not $300-$400 better after you flip your 6P.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What's consensus on SD820? As much as I love my 6p I feel the throttling a bit too much when playing anything on my phone. Wanting to upgrade already.....
Go for it. If you have the cash. Sounds like a waste of money to me, though.

OnePlus 3 should be revealed soon. I'd wait and see what happens with that. Probably under $400 with 820, 4-6gb ram, 1440p screen, etc. Their os team sucks and so does their customer service, but should have cyanogenmod support and paypal gives you unmatched support for 6 months to get your money back if something goes wrong. I'm probably going to buy it unless they decide to go with 1080p screen again or do something dumb like charge $500+

OnePlus 3 should be revealed soon. I'd wait and see what happens with that. Probably under $400 with 820, 4-6gb ram, 1440p screen, etc. Their os team sucks and so does their customer service, but should have cyanogenmod support and paypal gives you unmatched support for 6 months to get your money back if something goes wrong. I'm probably going to buy it unless they decide to go with 1080p screen again or do something dumb like charge $500+

They have to make some profit. I would be fine with 1080 easily. Just good camera and great battery life. I do not need fingerprint sensor either. Keep capacitive buttons. Keep it under 500 for sure.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wish we'd get some Nexus leaks. Looking at how great the HTC 10 turned out to be has me salivating for some Nexus news.
What would you want in the new Nexus? I am pretty content. Battery life is finally acceptable, although more is always better. I want to LTE stream Twitch for 24 hours straight at max brightness, at a minimum.

Asgaro

Well shit.
Also incompatible with all their games lol. Can't even find them on the mobile Play Store using search.

Why would they be blocking my OS? I'm using the official Sony Concept ROM: Marshmallow 6.0.1 with April security patch level. Non-rooted and locked bootloader.

edit: Online banking apps seem compatible so I don't see any reason at all.

KlRFh2d.png

Anyone getting annoyed by splash screens? I used to love multitasking on Android phones. Now, I'm less inclined to switch from app to app to app because I know I'll have to sit through seconds of splash every time (mainly with Google apps).

I'm not a Spec Wars type of consumer, but if loading our phones up with 16 GB of RAM, or whatever it would take, means every app can be held in memory indefinitely and I don't have to sit through splash screens, armor me up.

Anyone getting annoyed by splash screens? I used to love multitasking on Android phones. Now, I'm less inclined to switch from app to app to app because I know I'll have to sit through seconds of splash every time (mainly with Google apps).

I'm not a Spec Wars type of consumer, but if loading our phones up with 16 GB of RAM, or whatever it would take, means every app can be held in memory indefinitely and I don't have to sit through splash screens, armor me up.

Why are there splash screens when switching between apps on 4GB RAM Android phones? I mean at least it's understandable on iPhones that only have like a single gig of RAM.

Fatalah

I wish we'd get some Nexus leaks. Looking at how great the HTC 10 turned out to be has me salivating for some Nexus news.

I'm most interested to see what Android N brings next, performance wise. In the last two years, project butter and volt have been great, but there's so much room for improvement!

I want nexus leaks but unfortunately I think I may be done with Android phones until I can get one the size of an iphone 6s or smaller that doesn't skimp on anything at all and runs stock.

Guess we'll see which 2 phones HTC comes out with. Hopefully when google moves to their own hardware they just copy apple's model on that front.

They have to make some profit. I would be fine with 1080 easily. Just good camera and great battery life. I do not need fingerprint sensor either. Keep capacitive buttons. Keep it under 500 for sure.

I've looked at 1080p and 1440p phones and the 1440p screens are just better overall for clarity. It was bad when they kept 1080p last year and it would be inexcusable this year. Camera should be good. Rumors point to a 20 megapixel Sony sensor. I agree capacitive buttons needs to stay. $500 and I'm inching into flagship territory, so I wouldn't be willing to spend that on a OnePlus phone. $400 or less sure. Rumors point to 2 models this year. One with 4gb ram and 32gb storage and one with 6gb ram and 64gb storage.

Hopefully the new Nexus phones are revealed at Google's event in May. Usually that doesn't happen, but maybe with the earlier N release it will happen. I'd go Nexus if they come out with a 5.5 inch+ phone and use a 820. My OPO is still running strong, but I'm getting the itch to upgrade.

What would you want in the new Nexus? I am pretty content. Battery life is finally acceptable, although more is always better. I want to LTE stream Twitch for 24 hours straight at max brightness, at a minimum.
That's because you have a Nexus 6P. I am not fond of phablets so I want a replacement to the Nexus 5X that isn't gimped.

Preferably something copy/pasted from the HTC 10, maybe add 3D touch into it and then charge $500-$600.

Asgaro

Last couple of days I went through my giant 'apps to check out' folder and eventually filtered out all the outdated apps and plain crap, and came eventually to this...

I'm actually surprised my phone still runs quite smooth!
RAM usage currently is 1.5GB/1.7GB. (I never force close apps btw. Only right before a reboot.)

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. What a beast.

Quasar

Techcrunch thinks Android could wipe out IOS in the future.

http://techcrunch.com/2016/05/01/how-android-gets-to-100-market-share/

One thing they didn't say is how complicated Apple is making development these days. They have too many operating systems vs Android has been unified when they created lollipop. It has made deploying to multiple types of smart devices much easier.

Also if project Fi gets big... Apple look out

Just how different is watchOS v tvOS v iOS? Isnt it mostly just interface differences and the number of system services? Now macOS, thats a bit different. Maybe apple just needs their own UWP.

Project fi? I dont expect it to get bigger than google voice for the most part. I certainly dont expect it to go outside the us.

Just how different is watchOS v tvOS v iOS? Isnt it mostly just interface differences and the number of system services? Now macOS, thats a bit different. Maybe apple just needs their own UWP.

Project fi? I dont expect it to get bigger than google voice for the most part. I certainly dont expect it to go outside the us.

I feel like Project Fi is something that can disappear as quickly as it came. You never know with Google.

Aiii

So not worth it

One thing they didn't say is how complicated Apple is making development these days. They have too many operating systems vs Android has been unified when they created lollipop. It has made deploying to multiple types of smart devices much easier.

Mweh, on the other side Swift is making it insanely easy to program for Apple devices. Not sure I agree with their assessment. Besides, I don't think it's the programming environment that determines market share, developers will develop for devices that sell and as long as Apple leads the market, developers will keep on trucking. And as said, I see Swift becoming a huge part of the programming landscape in the future now that it's open and slowly makes it way beyond the Apple ecosystem.

Wreav

Banned
Google won't win America as long as they are a marketing platform first and secure OS second. Americans are increasingly woke and want a secure platform more than anything.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Fucking mobile GAF looks like shit now thanks to those big ass ads. Smh

PS: Guess I gotta order that GS7 eBay deal today for my SO. Need to do that today.

akileese

Also if project Fi gets big... Apple look out

There are definitely someone user based parallels to Blackberry with Apple, but the big thing is fragmentation on Android. If Google can solve that, they'll put Apple in serious trouble from a mobility standpoint. That said, I doubt they'll solve the fragmentation issue.

Fautly Nexus 5x returned. Got my money back since they didnt have any in stock. Maybe for the best because while I did like the phone it was a big mother f""ker.

Well.. maybe not the raw size but its just a block. Some curves here and there would really have helped make it more hand friendly.

Not sure what to do now regards a new phone.

Im not super knowledged on the Apple developer side but from what I have seen they are entirely different apps. Sure you can copy code but then you are managing duplicate code bases. They are different apps because they have to be built to run on different operating systems. Also any html apps written for ios have to be rewritten for tvOS because tvOS doesnt allow html apps. The ui has to be xml or native. There are similar limitations for apples watchkit as well.

VS android you can pretty much a put a phone app on anything like TV or Wear. Want it to show up in the tv playstore? Add a line of code. Want it to interact with the TV better? Add a TV view with code that respects the voice/dpad input. Support for webview still exists here as well.

Shit the nvidia shield just added mouse support through the controller. I can pretty much use ANY android app on the TV now. All I have to do is download the apk from chrome (which also recently added limited android tv support). Now this isnt going to help the mainstream but it just goes to show you how easy it is for android devs.

Project fi? I dont expect it to get bigger than google voice for the most part. I certainly dont expect it to go outside the us

Every person I have told about Fi says "how do I sign up? Just need my contract to end." Its also extremely easy to make the switch with their website. If they started advertising they could do some damage. Just because its google doesn't mean they are going to pull it. Do you think google is going to pull google fiber as well?

Probably. It's not even that cheap.
I think its very cheap considering you are not getting treated like a 2nd class citizen like you are on cricket, straight talk, etc

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
google keyboard got a huge update:

Option to show key border, no more holo themes
One-handed mode
Long-press for hinted symbols can be toggled
Adjustable keyboard height in settings
Vibrate strength moved to preferences from advanced
Auto-capitalize can be toggled
New first-run experience
Opt-in and a setting for sharing snippets with Google to improve the keyboard for everyone
Long-press and drag to remove suggestions from suggestion bar
Gesture Typing:
Dynamic floating preview removed (preview in suggestion bar now)
Delete whole words by sliding left from delete key
Gesture cursor control by sliding left/right on space bar
Faster access to numpad and emoji

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...y-borders-new-gestures-and-more-apk-download/

Google won't win America as long as they are a marketing platform first and secure OS second. Americans are increasingly woke and want a secure platform more than anything.

If google adds end-2-end encryption to messaging then the nexus will be just as secure as an iPhone

AndyD

aka andydumi

One-handed mode
New first-run experience
Opt-in and a setting for sharing snippets with Google to improve the keyboard for everyone
Gesture Typing:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...y-borders-new-gestures-and-more-apk-download/

Nice! This had me missing SwiftKey considering other keyboards, but I'm now done with that.

of all your posts, i think we might have just hit the bottom of the barrel.

Yeah ok. Why dont you just go ahead and post all these reasons why Nexus phones are less secure than iphones?

99% of Android users probably don't even have an encrypted phone in the first place

This whole marketshare discussion is about the future. You know all android phones shipping with marshmallow+ are required to be encrypted. Its also been an option for years and standard on nexus devices for 2 gens now.

Saiyan-Rox

One-handed mode
New first-run experience
Gesture Typing:

One handed mode, about time lol

There are definitely someone user based parallels to Blackberry with Apple, but the big thing is fragmentation on Android. If Google can solve that, they'll put Apple in serious trouble from a mobility standpoint. That said, I doubt they'll solve the fragmentation issue.

If they can migrate Android to a framework where OEM's can "plug in" ui and other extra features then they might solve the fragmentation issue. I'm assuming this will be really, really hard to do. I'm not an OS coder so I genuinely have no idea if this is even feasible.

SimleuqiR

I feel like Project Fi is something that can disappear as quickly as it came. You never know with Google.

Probably. It's not even that cheap.

I was in Peru last week on a business trip and I was getting LTE speeds with Fi. Data service was pretty great. Had an issue when I tried calling back home (US) and Claro's automated message said it couldn't make heads or tales of the US number I had dialed.

I would hate to see Fi disappear. I think the service might be more popular than we give it credit for. I would love to know the # of subscribers they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom