• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder when we will get the next great "hackable" phone. With the S7/S7 Edge's bootloaders locked, is there even a top-tier phone that has an unlocked bootloader and getting developer support? Pretty frustrating situation right now.

The HTC 10 is the most likely option at this point, if it ever comes out on T-Mobile. OnePlus 3 will have unlockable bootloader. That's pretty much it until the new Nexus and Note(probably locked like the 7).

Noema

Wonder when we will get the next great "hackable" phone. With the S7/S7 Edge's bootloaders locked, is there even a top-tier phone that has an unlocked bootloader and getting developer support? Pretty frustrating situation right now.

Not a top tier phone, but I feel the Nextbit Robin has a shot at becoming popular among developers since Nextbit themselves endorse unlocking the bootloader and flashing custom Roms.

Also buying the HTC 10 directly from HTC gets you an unlocked bootloader out of the box. Past HTC phones have had good community support both in terms of custom ROMs and Custom kernels from developers like Franco and flar.

Anyone have any recommendations for ps4/ps3 controller clip ons for a nexus 6? I really like using remote play and emulators but the setup is less than ideal when it's just laid on a desk.

Theres tons of cheap no name ones on amazon just wondered if anyone had one they like or have used for a while. Don't care if it's ugly, just going to be for use at home or on car trips.

Saiyan-Rox

Anyone else excited that Google is now posting the OTA for the previews and regular system images? No more waiting for weeks for the OTA hopefully they get posted as soon as they are announced.

Google should just add a way to Android to pull the OTA and install directly from Android.

At least now those in the know have to wait for an OTA link to be posted but at the same time I agree the rollout BS should stop

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My 6P battery is so bad (2 hours sot) that I bought an iPod touch to play music in my car instead of using my phone.

I lose the Nexus lottery every single year.

Maybe I'll go Team Apple next year, haven't owned their phones since the 3GS
I get 2.5 ish SOT. We are both always screwed.

Your hands are not worthy. My mom uses a 5X with a case and doesn't complain. And no my mom doesn't have gorilla hands.
big ass phones are very common among women because they have the luxury of carrying a purse around.

add me to the 2-2.5h sot 6p crew

I get 2.5 ish SOT. We are both always screwed.
thought this phone was supposed to have good battery life.

Asgaro

Another huge generic android phone. GG oneplus. Definitely needed more of those.

I wonder what happened with the rumoured Mini version...
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-prod...neplus-2-mini-rumour-round-up-teaser-3632321/
http://www.gsmarena.com/alleged_oneplus_2_mini_gets_approved_by_tenaa-news-15806.php

And the first article mentions 4.6" while the other mentions 4.99"...

I hope it's 4.6". Currently using a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact that I'll be using for at least 2 more years. I hope by that time a good compact replacement comes around with high performance and exceptional battery life.

Asgaro

My 6P battery is so bad (2 hours sot) that I bought an iPod touch to play music in my car instead of using my phone.

Just buy an in-car charger. I recommend this one.
2x Quick Charge and 1x normal 2.4A.

My 'car mode' consists of:
- Bluetooth volume to 100%
- Brightness to 75%
- Running Spotify
- Running Waze
- Running Road Vikings

Even when I use the non-Quick Charge port, my device gets charged slightly using the above scenario.

61qbEU5zD8L._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017VVX2Y6/

wilflare

Anyone still using CAF Browser or something?
I've been using the JStwarts? build for a while now but havent had any updates...

Is there any way to save all open tabs to a notepad or something

I'm looking to buy a phone, and I'm torn between the 16GB Moto G 3rs Gen or the LG G3. I know the LG G3 is an older phone, but on paper it looks better, and it's only around £20 dearer. Is it worth it, or will it be outdated now?

What would be the best phone I could get SIM free for under £200 in the UK? Would it be one of those?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Is it? I mean I get having the option. I'm always for more options not less.

We had this discussion in this very thread though. People don't really give a fuck about ROMs anymore. They just want their shit to work.

Hence why there is next to no XDA like talk here anymore.

Plus Android both stock and skins have matured to a point where most people don't see the need for the hassle.

Rooting is one thing as certain apps require root. More people seem to still care about that vs actual custom roms.

Watevaman

Are there any of those custom cases (where you add your own photo) out there that provide adequate protection for the phone? Looking for something for an S7 but in my past experience all my friends with custom cases, the case didn't look like it'd protect much.

Dobsie

I'm looking to buy a phone, and I'm torn between the 16GB Moto G 3rs Gen or the LG G3. I know the LG G3 is an older phone, but on paper it looks better, and it's only around £20 dearer. Is it worth it, or will it be outdated now?

What would be the best phone I could get SIM free for under £200 in the UK? Would it be one of those?
Nexus 5x is better than both of those and can be had for under £200 from eglobal.

longdi

Banned
Anyone still using CAF Browser or something?
I've been using the JStwarts? build for a while now but havent had any updates...

Is there any way to save all open tabs to a notepad or something

If you are using Samsung phones, give their default browser a test. I have stopped using chrome and switched to it, with adbock plus and full screen browsing. It is good.

Chorazin

If you are using Samsung phones, give their default browser a test. I have stopped using chrome and switched to it, with adbock plus and full screen browsing. It is good.

Agreed, it's a pretty great browser. The Secret Mode beats the shit out of Private Mode as well!

most versions of the HTC 10 come with an unlockable bootloader and the Verizon variant was hacked yesterday.

Ixian

My only issue with Tuga Browser is how it likes to bug out and make the address bar unclickable. Not sure how to fix it aside from restarting my phone or reinstalling the browser; even a force stop doesn't address it. Anyone else know of a better way to get it working as normal again?

Agreed, it's a pretty great browser. The Secret Mode beats the shit out of Private Mode as well!

I have been using it lately and like it fairly well. I just hate how clunky tab switching is, the fact that the search bar isn't as great as Chrome's, no pull-down refresh, and how the tabs don't stay in the order you initially opened them as they reorder to put the most recently used tab in the foreground(oh, and no tabs open open in the background - unless I'm missing something).

It is surprisingly smooth and less memory-intensive, though.

I'd use the Samsung browser if they made it available for other devices. Using Firefox for plugins but alot of Firefox I am not a fan of. Chrome severely slows down my Web browsing.

rc213

My only issue with Tuga Browser is how it likes to bug out and make the address bar unclickable. Not sure how to fix it aside from restarting my phone or reinstalling the browser; even a force stop doesn't address it. Anyone else know of a better way to get it working as normal again?

I get this with RS Browser, usually just stopping the app from app info clears it.

longdi

Banned
I have been using it lately and like it fairly well. I just hate how clunky tab switching is, the fact that the search bar isn't as great as Chrome's, no pull-down refresh, and how the tabs don't stay in the order you initially opened them as they reorder to put the most recently used tab in the foreground(oh, and no tabs open open in the background - unless I'm missing something).

It is surprisingly smooth and less memory-intensive, though.

The tab switching is quite smart once you get used to it. I am using 7E and i can easily switch tabs using one hand. Because it is placed in the lower right corner, my thumb can reach easier than Chrome's top icon. :)

Yes the search/address bar is a bit jerkier than Chrome when accessing it. But you can put quick access websites on it.

Yes no pull down to refresh is the worst.

However as mentioned, the secret mode is beasty, only accessible with my prints. And the ability to hide even the status bar, i can view GAF on the full 5.5" AMOLED screen! Put on adblock+ for S7, and it makes websites load faster and save on the data charges.

I cant believe till this day, i am on a Samsung stock browser! I dont believe in 'oem stock' stuffs before hand.

Chorazin

What makes it better than any other incognito mode? (serious question)

Basically it gives you a whole seperate browser with secret bookmarks, history, cookies, ect. It locks down with a PIN or your fingerprint. Doesn't show anything on the screen in recent apps either. You can switch between regular and secret without losing your tabs.

It's fucking rad.

diaspora

What makes it better than any other incognito mode? (serious question)

It's a fingerprint authenticated secret mode with its own bookmarks/saved pages. Also, it hides the content of the tabs/windows when you use the soft-key for bringing up open applications the Samsung browser hides the content of the window whereas incognito chrome does not. Also, if you switch to another app and switch back to Samsung browser you need to re-authenticate with your fingerprint to access the secret tabs.

Basically it gives you a whole seperate browser with secret bookmarks, history, cookies, ect. It locks down with a PIN or your fingerprint. Doesn't show anything on the screen in recent apps either. You can switch between regular and secret without losing your tabs.

It's fucking rad.

Yeah, this. Chrome's incognito isn't that incognito.

Priz

https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...d-card-with-the-highest-capacity-in-its-class

Looks like Samsung is first to the game with the 256GB MicroSDXC card. I know that the memory inside the 200GB Sandisk/Patriot cards was as thin as a sheet of paper... talked about probably a 3-6 month window to hit 256GB but to see now someone has one (and it's not a terribad company like AData... I've had a horrible track record with their products getting corrupted since the SD days. They're usually first to market in a speed/capacity but with a huge volume of returns).

(Side note: probably the only person irked by the review sites who mention the LG being better than any other phone because their PR/specs mention their phone will support 2TB MicroSDXC cards even though 200 (now 256)GB is the largest that actually exist... yes, MicroSDXC will eventually hit 2TB but that's far enough in the future you'll probably have to wait for the G7 or G8's release to be able to buy said card.)

https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...d-card-with-the-highest-capacity-in-its-class

Looks like Samsung is first to the game with the 256GB MicroSDXC card. I know that the memory inside the 200GB Sandisk/Patriot cards was as thin as a sheet of paper... talked about probably a 3-6 month window to hit 256GB but to see now someone has one (and it's not a terribad company like AData... I've had a horrible track record with their products getting corrupted since the SD days. They're usually first to market in a speed/capacity but with a huge volume of returns).

(Side note: probably the only person irked by the review sites who mention the LG being better than any other phone because their PR/specs mention their phone will support 2TB MicroSDXC cards even though 200 (now 256)GB is the largest that actually exist... yes, MicroSDXC will eventually hit 2TB but that's far enough in the future you'll probably have to wait for the G7 or G8's release to be able to buy said card.)

HTC also touts this so not sure why 1: You're singling out one OEM and 2: Making a big fuss out of essentially nothing.

Priz

HTC also touts this so not sure why 1: You're singling out one OEM and 2: Making a big fuss out of essentially nothing.
I've seen a handful of review sites comparing phones (e.g. S7 vs. G5 vs. 10) say the G5 is clearly the winner in the memory/storage because while the other phones only support 200GB, the G5 supports 2TB so clearly, better phone... is just silly. Then again, if I rattled off a dozen stories of all the bullshit flash stuff I get from customers most people here couldn't handle dealing with these idiots. (or people like the guy who bought a 2TB 3.5" Internal SATA hard drive and received an IDE as a shipping error so instead of contacting us FIRST he used tools to pry up all the metal edges of the top of the drive/break off parts on the back in attempts to locate the SATA connector hidden underneath the IDE one and for all the work he spent doing that he demanded a credit off his purchase and an upgraded capacity drive sent him via Priority Overnight shipping at no cost.)

I've seen a handful of review sites comparing phones (e.g. S7 vs. G5 vs. 10) say the G5 is clearly the winner in the memory/storage because while the other phones only support 200GB, the G5 supports 2TB so clearly, better phone... is just silly. Then again, if I rattled off a dozen stories of all the bullshit flash stuff I get from customers most people here couldn't handle dealing with these idiots. (or people like the guy who bought a 2TB 3.5" Internal SATA hard drive and received an IDE as a shipping error so instead of contacting us FIRST he used tools to pry up all the metal edges of the top of the drive/break off parts on the back in attempts to locate the SATA connector hidden underneath the IDE one and for all the work he spent doing that he demanded a credit off his purchase and an upgraded capacity drive sent him via Priority Overnight shipping at no cost.)

There are benefits if the phone natively supports over the amount it touts. Even if your phone can handle 200gb+ or whatever in the future, if it isn't technically supported, it needs to be reformatted. Whereas if it natively supports it, you can just take it out and put it into any device and it works without having to reformat.

There are benefits if the phone natively supports over the amount it touts. Even if your phone can handle 200gb+ or whatever in the future, if it isn't technically supported, it needs to be reformatted. Whereas if it natively supports it, you can just take it out and put it into any device and it works without having to reformat.

that's the thing though,

they support the larger sizes.

it's just that nothing that size exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom