• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

It's another Huawei Kirin 960 phone. How many of these is Huawei gonna make lol.

I dig this though. If this is the Honor 8 sequel I'm cool with that.
I read it's gonna be called the Honor 8 Plus and will be released along side the cheaper Honor 8 Lite.

Looking forward to see what the true Honor 9 looks like.

what Bluetooth headphones is everyone getting with their iPhone 8?

the AirPods look stupid as fuck and i'm pretty sure i would lose one or both since the wired ones were never a good fit for my ears and they don't come in Black so i was thinking of going with the Beats X and MKBHD likes them but they're not water resistant at all...

If you're gonna go Apple, you go full Apple. Get the AirPods.

On the Android side, I'm waiting for the 2nd gen Samsung Gear IconX. The first-gen was pretty amazing except for awful battery life. If they can work that out, it will be one badass set of buds.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;230829202 said:
Samsungs switches over to qualcomm chips because of their integrated cdma modems, for the US.

Their exynos chips don't support cdma.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3035732/what-chip-will-your-galaxy-s7-or-s7-edge-have.html

i believe the implication was that Samsung would use their own Exynos SoC, however the poster didn't remember that Samsung has their own modem series, Shannon.

Right, the likes of Samsung and Huawei have gone down the own path and integrating their own modem into their SoCs. But their SoCs aren't really available to other companies to integrate into their product, so they have to go Qualcomm. Why would they buy an Intel modem if they already have a good modem with Qualcomm?

So there's only really one customer for the Intel modem: Apple.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Right, the likes of Samsung and Huawei have gone down the own path and integrating their own modem into their SoCs. But their SoCs aren't really available to other companies to integrate into their product, so they have to go Qualcomm. Why would they buy an Intel modem if they already have a good modem with Qualcomm?

So there's only really one customer for the Intel modem: Apple.

Because nobody wants to deal with Qualcomm if they don't have to especially with their high pricing?

Because nobody wants to deal with Qualcomm if they don't have to especially with their high pricing?

It's far more expensive and time consuming to buy everything except the Qualcomm modem and integrate a modem.

And that's assuming Qualcomm would even do that (they don't).

I'm not trying to defend Qualcomm, yes some of their business practices are pure scum, but it's either Qualcomm/Mediatek or develop your own SoC. If you're going down your own SoC, might as well develop a modem with it.

I would like for Samsung and Huawei to open up their SoCs for other companies, but they look at it as a competitive advantage.

Jeffrey

Emui 5.1 being showed off at MWC.

I assume launching with p10, maybe v9 too.

Hopefully some of the animation and performance bugs introduced in 5 are addressed.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
gsmarena_001.jpg

Here's Sony's bezel-less entry you think is different but really isn't

http://www.gsmarena.com/alleged_press_render_of_sony_xperia_x_2017_leaked-news-23574.php

Vanillalite

It's far more expensive and time consuming to buy everything except the Qualcomm modem and integrate a modem.

And that's assuming Qualcomm would even do that (they don't).

I'm not trying to defend Qualcomm, yes some of their business practices are pure scum, but it's either Qualcomm/Mediatek or develop your own SoC. If you're going down your own SoC, might as well develop a modem with it.

I would like for Samsung and Huawei to open up their SoCs for other companies, but they look at it as a competitive advantage.

I feel like you aren't following?

The whole point of this is Qualcomm owns the old ass CDMA patent ergo why people were buying from them. You can't just make your own for the US market.

The key with Intel is they bought another company that also has CDMA patents so they got around this.

That's also the whole point of the Apple lawsuit.

I feel like you aren't following?

The whole point of this is Qualcomm owns the old ass CDMA patent ergo why people were buying from them. You can't just make your own for the US market.

The key with Intel is they bought another company that also has CDMA patents so they got around this.

That's also the whole point of the Apple lawsuit.

I get it, but how many Android device manufacturers are going to put in that Intel modem with no integrated SoC when Qualcomm, as shitty as they may be, has an integrated solution? Just because there's an alternative doesn't mean it's going to be adopted.

The Intel modem has only one potential customer: Apple. Better perform better than the Intel modem in the 7 series.

Speaking of SoCs, Samsung announced the 8895 that should power the S8 and Note:

https://www.xda-developers.com/sams...-processor-on-10nm-finfet-process-technology/

The Exynos 9 Series 8895 is the latest premium application processor from Samsung Electronics, and is the first from Samsung to take advantage of 10nm FinFET process technology. This allows up to 27% higher performance while consuming 40% less power when compared to 14nm technology.

The Exynos 8895 is an octa-core processor, comprising four of Samsung's 2nd generation custom designed CPU cores for improved performance and four Cortex-A53 cores for efficiency. The CPU also features upgraded Samsung Coherent Interconnect (SCI) technology which supports Heterogeneous System Architecture that enables faster calculations for areas like AI and deep learning.

For the GPU, the Exynos 8895 packs in an ARM Mali-G71 MP20 GPU to provide next level 3D graphic performance that minimizes latency for 4K UHD VR use cases. With 20 graphic processing cores, the performance is claimed to have been improved by up to 60% from its predecessor.

The Exynos 8895 also supports displays up to WQUXGA (3840×2400) and 4K UHD (4096×2160). It also supports LPDDR4x Memory, as well as eMMC 5.1, UFS 2.1 and SD 3.0 for storage.

The multimedia experience for the Exynos 8895 gets a hand from the advanced MFC (Multi-Format Codec), which allows it to support video recording and playback at 4K UHD at 120fps with the latest video codecs including HEVC(H.265), H.264 and VP9.

For camera, the ISP on the Exynos 8895 supports 28MP sensors for both, the front and rear, as well as support for Smart WDR and PDAF. It also supports dual camera support with a 28MP + 16MP combination. The dual ISP in the SoC consists of one ISP dedicated for high quality, while the other is dedicated for low power.

The Exynos 8895 also features a separate processing unit for enhanced security solutions that are needed in mobile biometric solutions like iris and fingerprint recognition. There is also an embedded Vision Processing Unit (VPU) that can recognize and analyze items and movements for better video tracking, panoramic image processing and machine vision technology.

That is not all. The Samsung Exynos 8895 is also the first mobile processor to integrate a gigabit LTE modem in the industry that supports 5CA (Carrier Aggregation) for downlink, supporting maximum speeds of up to 1Gbps (Cat.16) as well as 2CA uplink with maximum speed of up to 150Mbps (Cat.13).
Damn

tzare

this exynos SOC with the new camera sensor from sony with its own memory could do wonders..... i guess it is too late to see this combo on s8 but maybe we will see the note8 with both.

really interested if it really is more power efficient than the usual power bump.

vivftp

gsmarena_001.jpg

Here's Sony's bezel-less entry you think is different but really isn't

http://www.gsmarena.com/alleged_press_render_of_sony_xperia_x_2017_leaked-news-23574.php

I dunno, it seems to be screaming photoshop to me. Compare this against an official pic of the Xpeira XZ taken from the Sony Mobile website:

xperia_xz_blue_D1_hero_image_bf4d33bbb55cf08a802.jpg

It looks like they just modified this image a bit.

this exynos SOC with the new camera sensor from sony with its own memory could do wonders..... i guess it is too late to see this combo on s8 but maybe we will see the note8 with both.

really interested if it really is more power efficient than the usual power bump.

As far as I'm aware there aren't any camera sensors, including the new Sony one you mentioned, that can record 4K resolutions at 120FPS. So unless Samsung has another supplier or are using a new internally built sensor, I don't think the S8 will be doing that, even if the processor is capable of it.

Jeffrey

PPI Claim Sucesful. Ka-Ching.

So, do I opt for Oneplus 3T or Galaxy S7 Edge?

OP3T
+ Chipset/memory
+ As close to stock android as you'll get outside the pixel
+ Battery
+ USB C
- No wireless charging
- Camera not the best

S7 Edge
+ Battery
+ Camera
+ Dat screen
+ Wireless charging
- 2016 Specs
- - - - - Samsung Bloat

I've got a Note 5 at the moment and battery is arse and although I've got package disabler pro keeping most apps out of the way, I know there is far too much shit still running in the background.

Does the Nougat update fix a lot of this on the S7 Edge?

Vanillalite

Jesus. Why is pixel's night mode so yellow. Do there engineers use candles for their lighting?

It's supposed to be that way. I have the same think on the Lux app I got on the play store. Beyond just controlling brightness you can toggle on and off the night yellow mode as it's supposed to be easier on the eyes and allow you to sleep faster.

That is not all. The Samsung Exynos 8895 is also the first mobile processor to integrate a gigabit LTE modem in the industry that supports 5CA (Carrier Aggregation) for downlink, supporting maximum speeds of up to 1Gbps (Cat.16) as well as 2CA uplink with maximum speed of up to 150Mbps (Cat.13).
5CA wtf

Jeffrey

It's supposed to be that way. I have the same think on the Lux app I got on the play store. Beyond just controlling brightness you can toggle on and off the night yellow mode as it's supposed to be easier on the eyes and allow you to sleep faster.

I mean it's quite a bit more yellow than other phones or what I set for flux on my pc.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;230883542 said:
Why don't you just change the white point in the settings?

Can you do that? I don't see the option.

akileese

I don't get why everyone is going for the sporty watch.

Like they are too big to be practical. I tried running with the gear s3. Not pleasant. It's like I'm swinging a counter weight around.

I think it's because fitness people are the only ones buying these things. I could be wrong though.

Futureman

just got some alert on my S7 that there has been "A change to your Google account. Please sign in to continue."

I put my password in and then a 2-step temporary number and it seemed to work. But I have no idea what that was or why it asked for my password. Any idea?

just got some alert on my S7 that there has been "A change to your Google account. Please sign in to continue."

I put my password in and then a 2-step temporary number and it seemed to work. But I have no idea what that was or why it asked for my password. Any idea?
Go to the Google account page and check the security settings and history. Perhaps someone attempted to access your account.

Futureman

Go to the Google account page and check the security settings and history. Perhaps someone attempted to access your account.

hmmm I don't have an iPhone but this is on the security page...

"iPhone
Last synced: Today at 4:13 PM (19 minutes ago)
Lost this device?
Last location used
United States - 19 minutes ago"

I haven't updated passwords in awhile. Think I'll do that when I go home.

tzare

Same happened to me on both my s7 and my note 4. Maybe some bug from Google servers ?
Could log in without issues using my password and code from 2 step verification app.

Nothing shows in my account security registers.

Futureman

I just got the same thing with Chrome now where I had to sign in again. Hopefully just a server hiccup? Changing password tonight regardless.

Top Bottom