• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

P-OLED on the LG though

23266484672_4b2d6a322c_o.png

The thing will be indestructible
until bootloop

The LG OLED screens have gained a reputation for quickly burning in compared to the Samsung screens. Tread carefully.

Lol, I think it's just a matter of how much you can hide and prolong it. As long as the pixels wear you'll get burn-in eventually with static content.

This is correct. LG peddles that shit with their OLED TVs too. The reality is that pixels which wear and lose brightness over their lifetime WILL burn in unless you wear every single pixel perfectly evenly over their entire lifetime which pretty much impossible. CRT's took decades to solve this problem by extending pixel lifetimes to the point where you would need to leave one on for decades continuously to get to 50% brightness. Plasma display panels ever were able to solve it.

I have owned a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Note II, and Note 4. All 3 have noticeable burn in where the notifications bar is, the Nexus is the worst because of the burn in where the software buttons are. I fully expect my NOTE 8 THE OCHO to eventually also get burn in. OLED panel lifetimes are still an unsolved problem which is why Samsung isn't selling OLED TVs.

The people in that TV thread who all swear by LG OLEDs will have a rude awakening in a few years when they play some game with a permanent HUD for a few hundred hours and get it on their TVs literally forever. No lessons learned from plasma TVs.

I do want OLED. I've been using OLED screen phones for 5 years now. I can't go back to LCD. I'm just aware of everything, benefits and drawbacks, of the technology.

Husker86

The LG OLED screens have gained a reputation for quickly burning in compared to the Samsung screens. Tread carefully.

This is correct. LG peddles that shit with their OLED TVs too. The reality is that pixels which wear and lose brightness over their lifetime WILL burn in unless you wear every single pixel perfectly evenly over their entire lifetime which pretty much impossible. CRT's took decades to solve this problem by extending pixel lifetimes to the point where you would need to leave one on for decades continuously to get to 50% brightness. Plasma display panels ever were able to solve it.

I have owned a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Note II, and Note 4. All 3 have noticeable burn in where the notifications bar is, the Nexus is the worst because of the burn in where the software buttons are. I fully expect my NOTE 8 THE OCHO to eventually also get burn in. OLED panel lifetimes are still an unsolved problem which is why Samsung isn't selling OLED TVs.

The people in that TV thread who all swear by LG OLEDs will have a rude awakening in a few years when they play some game with a permanent HUD for a few hundred hours and get it on their TVs literally forever. No lessons learned from plasma TVs.

Didn't plasmas solve it with pixel shifting?

My Samsung plasma from ~2012/2013 is fine. Pixel shifting (or whatever they call it) makes the image look weird if you're right next to the screen, but you can't tell at viewing distance. At least I think that's what the weird effect I see when I get right up to the screen is.

This probably wouldn't work for phones, but with pixels being basically invisible at this point, maybe it would.

Or I'm just talking out of my ass. But I can confidently say my Panasonic Plasma from ~2007 and the aforementioned Samsung plasma do not have burn in (image retention on the Panny is sometimes noticeable).

That said, I'm not a big gamer.

DrFurbs

Is anyone using Android O yet? I recently installed it on my Nexus 6p and my battery life had plummeted to around 14 hours a day. I'm hardly a heavy user either. I understand it's a beta, but ffs, honestly. So, between Android O and that fucking 10%+ battery bug on the Nexus, there are times in charging twice per day. 3 yesterday.

I'm so done with Google phones.

ArchAngel

1) Install beta
2) don't shit on it only on the internet but use the feedback button in the settings
3) after installing the final ota reset your phone (!)

Mindwipe

Considering the release is almost upon us, battery imo should not be worse given the background limits they have touted.

The beta is always going to be doing things like running additional telemetry with battery impact, and probably unfixed memory leaks happening in the background of processes.

The battery will almost always be worse in a beta, irrespective of any normal improvements.

Hasney

Good fucking god the new Android TV YouTube app sucks. It's based on the PS4 version I was happy to get away from, but now I can't sign into my brand account and can only use my shitty G+ one on the email address and therefore do not have any subscriptions.

For now, I just uninstall all updates before using YouTube, but who knows how long that will work.

Considering the release is almost upon us, battery imo should not be worse given the background limits they have touted.

Unless there's some new tech, battery shit is usually added last.

Lenovo is ditching their skin in favor of stock Android.

"What we have done in last 11 months is we looked at what we had in terms of software perspective. We have been close to the consumers and we saw what they were asking for. There was a certain trend and we have now decided to cut the Vibe Pure UI off from our phones. So you will now get the stock Android which consumers have been asking for," Sharma told Gadgets 360.

Much like Moto phones, the Lenovo phones will come with some software enhancements like the addition of Dolby Atmos tech which has been part of Lenovo phones for some years now, and the TheaterMax. Apart from that, the interface and bloatware will be replaced with stock Android experience.

"There's no more Vibe UI going forward and we are moving to complete stock Android for all our future Lenovo phones. This is a huge transition for our business perspective," he added.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/lenovo-k8-note-vibe-pure-ui-stock-android-1733110

Ty4on

Didn't plasmas solve it with pixel shifting?

My Samsung plasma from ~2012/2013 is fine. Pixel shifting (or whatever they call it) makes the image look weird if you're right next to the screen, but you can't tell at viewing distance. At least I think that's what the weird effect I see when I get right up to the screen is.

This probably wouldn't work for phones, but with pixels being basically invisible at this point, maybe it would.

Or I'm just talking out of my ass. But I can confidently say my Panasonic Plasma from ~2007 and the aforementioned Samsung plasma do not have burn in (image retention on the Panny is sometimes noticeable).

That said, I'm not a big gamer.
I'm kinda talking out of my ass right now, but I think with CRT and plasma the issue is less wear and more static image burning in when displayed for long. Like a HUD on a plasma for 20 hours is way worse than 2 hours over 10 sessions while for OLED both will result in similar burn-in I think. If you move stuff around on OLED you'll only blur the burn-in and running a pattern over the screen is kinda pointless.

TV has the advantage that a lot of content isn't static unless you watch the same news channel or play the same game all the time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I mean the first Pixel bombed in the grand scheme of things. It took them like what 8 months to even crack a million sales world wide?

It's been rumored/leaked for a while now that the smaller Pixel would essentially be an updated version of last year's. It's like a 2017 6P, with no headphone jack.

Jeffrey

Copying that iphone 6s to 7 approach lol.

I'm curious what the trade off is. Lose headphone jack gain....? Google rumble?

Huawei is releasing a phone on at&t next year. Gonna assume mate 10.

Okay AndroidGAF, help me out.

I'm moving to Spain, and for business purposes will need a dual-SIM phone. Looking to buy from a UK or EU retailer - no grey market imports, I don't want that hassle if things go wrong. My requirements are:

• Minimum 32GB internal storage
• Minimum 3GB memory
• Dual SIM
• Snapdragon 6-- series (or equivalent)

So far, I've narrowed my options to the Moto G5 Plus, the ZTE Axon 7 Mini, and the Huawei Honor 6X. I'm also waiting on the G5S Plus, if only because it might precipitate a price drop for the G5 Plus. Of the devices listed, is there a clear winner? All are in a similar price bracket (£200-250) and look similar on paper, but there must be something to separate them.

IronRaven

Copying that iphone 6s to 7 approach lol.

I'm curious what the trade off is. Lose headphone jack gain....? Google rumble?

Huawei is releasing a phone on at&t next year. Gonna assume mate 10.

"Waterproofing" and sliming down the phone. That's all I can think of. For Google themselves, it's just cheaper to build it without a 3.5mm headphone jack. 90% of consumers probably don't care if it has one or not.

Either way, people need to wake and smell the coffee. That standard is dead. Long live Bluetooth.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
"Waterproofing" and sliming down the phone. That's all I can think of. For Google themselves, it's just cheaper to build it without a 3.5mm headphone jack. 90% of consumers probably don't care if it has one or not.

Either way, people need to wake and smell the coffee. That standard is dead. Long live Bluetooth.

AJ's protege

kaiyo

LDAC ftw

Al-ibn Kermit

I'm moving to Spain, and for business purposes will need a dual-SIM phone. Looking to buy from a UK or EU retailer - no grey market imports, I don't want that hassle if things go wrong. My requirements are:

• Minimum 3GB memory
• Dual SIM

So far, I've narrowed my options to the Moto G5 Plus, the ZTE Axon 7 Mini, and the Huawei Honor 6X. I'm also waiting on the G5S Plus, if only because it might precipitate a price drop for the G5 Plus. Of the devices listed, is there a clear winner? All are in a similar price bracket (£200-250) and look similar on paper, but there must be something to separate them.

The only one I can speak on is the G5 and it's a very good phone. I would always recommend the version you can get with the most RAM as that's what is going to make a phone feel smooth.

Jeffrey

• Minimum 3GB memory
• Dual SIM

Why 6 series?

Can you find a op3 or op3t at similar price?

yagal

Also selling in retail is good. Oneplus needs to learn about this lol.
Makes returns easier too.

The company that was doing invite system because they had limited stock ...

Do the HTC's squeeze gimmick work with a cover?

The Pixel will be disappointment for the tech peoples and completely ignore by the mass. DOA, seriously who is gonna buy it?

Imo for an android phone the headphone jack now is a must have, not just because is good or because you can play the "we are not like the devil apple card" but because not having it will only generate bad PR, meme like "poor use of space" and bad review. The android phone makers that don't have headphone jack today are not important in the grand scheme of things, they don't move big numbers, who care about a HTC, LeEco le pro or a walking dead Moto. Removing the jack is just one of the many mistakes that they are doing. They will die before the headphone jack

Why 6 series?

Can you find a op3 or op3t at similar price?

6xx series because I want this phone to last at least two years. Also because I'm using a Snapdragon 801 right now (Oppo Find 7), and I don't want a step back. The OnePlus Three / 3T are both substantially more expensive for a mint-condition used model (reputable seller with warranty) than any of the other phones are new.

Ty4on

Jeffrey

6xx series because I want this phone to last at least two years. Also because I'm using a Snapdragon 801 right now (Oppo Find 7), and I don't want a step back. The OnePlus Three / 3T are both substantially more expensive for a mint-condition used model (reputable seller with warranty) than any of the other phones are new.

whats that one sd820 lenovo phone rush was always pimping here. Definitely can get for under 250 euro I think.

edit: how much is a zuk z2 in europe? I can import one in the US for $250.

whats that one sd820 lenovo phone rush was always pimping here. Definitely can get for under 250 euro I think.

edit: how much is a zuk z2 in europe? I can import one in the US for $250.

To be honest, I just don't want to have any issues if the phone goes wrong. I'll be in a foreign country and relying on my phone for work. Much easier to deal with a UK-based company that recognises that it must comply with SOGA 1979 / CRA 2015.

jokkir

I upgraded from a 64GB to a 128GB microSD.

How do I move everything over (including moved apps) to the new SD card? A simple copy and paste didn't work.

Galaxy S7. The media transfers but not the apps :(
Try moving your apps to the internal storage if you have enough space available, and then moving them over to the new microSD. Unless Samsung has a PC app that lets you transfer or backup stuff, I doubt you're gonna be able to move apps over directly from one SD to another.

Quasar

Is anyone using Android O yet? I recently installed it on my Nexus 6p and my battery life had plummeted to around 14 hours a day. I'm hardly a heavy user either. I understand it's a beta, but ffs, honestly. So, between Android O and that fucking 10%+ battery bug on the Nexus, there are times in charging twice per day. 3 yesterday.

I'm so done with Google phones.

Been using it on my Nexus 5X since OPP3. Works great for me.

CronoShot

Google finally dropped the price of the Pixel 1, and includes a free Daydream View.

32GB $524
128GB $624

32GB XL $569
128GB XL $669

With the way the Pixel 2 is shaping up, it might be the better overall deal.

Jeffrey

Google finally dropped the price of the Pixel 1, and includes a free Daydream View.

32GB $524
128GB $624

32GB XL $569
128GB XL $669

With the way the Pixel 2 is shaping up, it might be the better overall deal.

I wouldn't call a sd821 phone for $600+ a good deal xD

T-MOBILE jump on demand allows you on switch to a new phone every 30 days now. Good if you hope around to different phones since you can get all the free shit like Netflix and vr headsets with each phone.

VoxPop

So this pos S8 is having WiFi issues where its connected but says internet may not be available. Anyone had similar issues and know of a fix?

Top Bottom