• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Wear |OT| 2nd Gen is Here

TxdoHawk

It has, i used it to bike to work. It works pretty great, especially with headphones.

I think he means navigation with public transit directions, NYC subways and that stuff.

Edit: From the Arstechnicha review:

You can answer a phone call and there's a special UI, but neither Wear device has a speaker, so you can't hear anything. It will answer with the phone in your pocket.

This seems kind of nuts. I mean, okay, it's not going to be an ideal way to take a call, but for the target market (people too busy to pull their phone out) it seems like a big omission. I guess they just assume the people who'd want this kind of functionality have a bluetooth headset?

SimleuqiR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9AVQtNIvoU

360.gif

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
This seems kind of nuts. I mean, okay, it's not going to be an ideal way to take a call, but for the target market (people too busy to pull their phone out) it seems like a big omission. I guess they just assume the people who'd want this kind of functionality have a bluetooth headset?

I think headphones with a built in phone mic are much more common than you realize. pretty much every major phone ships with them in the box now. That's how this makes sense. I'm walking down the street, listening to music/podcast, phone rings, answer it on watch, talk with headphones, end call, music starts playing again. Phone never leaves pocket. Its pretty awesome.

Anyways,

I'm liking the G Watch, its pretty basic, looks like a Pebble at a glance. Android Wear OS is cool and useful. Voice recognition for replying to texts/hangouts works well. And Runkeeper integration is awesome.

G Watch isn't super fancy or eye catching, but thats kind of what I want. Not trying to peacock with the thing on my wrist. Just trying to keep my phone in my pocket way more often. I commute and travel a lot.

Jzero

I hope someone makes cradles for these watches, i have nowhere to put my Gear Live while its charging.

TxdoHawk

I think headphones with a built in phone mic are much more common than you realize. pretty much every major phone ships with them in the box now. That's how this makes sense. I'm walking down the street, listening to music/podcast, phone rings, answer it on watch, talk with headphones, end call, music starts playing again. Phone never leaves pocket. Its pretty awesome.

That's a good point. In that situation, works great. Headphones are unfortunately a major no-no at my job though, and that's where something like this would get the most mileage from me.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
wow I guess people really dont care about Smart watches, even on GAF we can't conversation going about them.... thread's dead...

I care about them. It's just that I know this go around is completely half baked. Android Wear in its current state is garbage. It'll get better, I'm sure. I'll be there then.

Drifters

Until I do not have to charge my smart watch every GD day like my smartphone, then I'll consider it. Also, how did Google not let the Moto 360 get released first to solidify the Android Wear brand is beyond me. 3/4 of this thread including me are waiting to see what the 360 holds.

A friend of mine got a G watch and was nice enough to sync my phone to it and let me use it for a couple of hours. I was impressed with it and will get one, although I will wait for the Moto X as the G watch and Gear Live are too ugly.

It was too short of a time for me to really get a sense of how it is to live with it, but the functionality of it was really good for me. I have a pretty busy work schedule with a lot of meetings and heavy email volume. I'm normally pulling out my phone to check for my next meeting, or to see if the email I just got is important, and being able to quickly glance at my wrist instead was awesome. I also use Google Now for a lot of stuff, so seeing the cards on my wrist was pretty cool.

My take is that Android Wear is awesome if you have a busy schedule, get tons of emails, and/or use Google Now a lot. If one or more of those does not apply to you, Android Wear isn't going to be very useful for you. When I get one I'll probably just wear it at work, then in the evening and on weekends switch to one of my regular watches, as my personal life isn't so busy that I need to check my phone constantly.

As for charging... I have automatic watches that I have to stick into a winder every time I take them off (unless I know I'm wearing the same one again the next day, which I usually don't). Putting a smartwatch into a cradle isn't going to be a big deal for me.

TxdoHawk

I care about them. It's just that I know this go around is completely half baked. Android Wear in its current state is garbage. It'll get better, I'm sure. I'll be there then.

It's worth noting that Google has been extremely strict about what constitutes an Android Wear device, and that apparently they'll be pushing updates directly with no other companies intervening. We could see very rapid improvements in the platform.

Drifters

It's worth noting that Google has been extremely strict about what constitutes an Android Wear device, and that apparently they'll be pushing updates directly with no other companies intervening. We could see very rapid improvements in the platform.
Honestly this is the only silver lining I see for Android Wear.

Coketruck

Question: on my G Watch, every time I "wake" the watch by moving my wrist to look at it, a small popup with "Ok Google" appears on the watch face.

How do I get rid of this? I know it's a prompt, but I already know how the watch works; I don't need it to remind me to say "Ok Google" every time I look at the thing.

Jzero

Question: on my G Watch, every time I "wake" the watch by moving my wrist to look at it, a small popup with "Ok Google" appears on the watch face.

How do I get rid of this? I know it's a prompt, but I already know how the watch works; I don't need it to remind me to say "Ok Google" every time I look at the thing.

I don't have the G Watch but on my Gear Live all i did was change the watch face and it disappeared.

Jzero

A new launcher for Wear was just released, Android Wear Mini. It gives your watch an app launcher similar to your phone's. Note, that this app is currently having problems with the Gear Live, but appears to work fine on the G Watch.

Android Wear Mini Launcher makes it easy to get to apps

So much better than the stock method. No problems at all on the Gear Live though.

Btw, any of you having problems with the "Next" and "Previous" buttons on Spotify? Not sure if this is an Android L problem or an Android Wear problem.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Everyday they just keep getting closer and closer to Apple's approach.

TxdoHawk

Everyday they just keep getting closer and closer to Apple's approach.

There are big advantages, after all. Device manufacturers and carriers get in the way of innovation. I think this is a good thing (and on the flipside, I think Apple embracing "open" things like third-party keyboards will benefit iOS).

kehs

Banned
For smartwatches to make sense, they need to go beyond what a phone can do on its own. That idea seems lost on developers who are creating weak imitations of existing smartwatch apps, including games, drawing apps, flashlights and calendars.

Google has tried to discourage these kinds of apps, both in its documentation (“inputs requiring fine-grained motor skills are avoided”) and through Wear’s interface, which deliberately makes smartphone-like apps difficult to launch. But developers are undeterred. In fact, someone has even come out with a third-party app launcher for Wear that seems likely to encourage more bad behavior.

Too Many Android Wear Apps Are Missing the Point

SimleuqiR

Not going to argue. This article is right. It's the main reason I'm not really jumping on the smart-watch bandwagon. You would have to be hyper-connected freak to want all of these things on your wrist. Why would you want something like Tinder (Badoo, OKcupid, or any other of these services) on your wrist?

I really want to see what Apple does with it. I hope is not more of the same.

kehs

Banned
LevelUp for Android Wear is simple. After users download the newest LevelUp Android app, it will automatically push the LevelUp for Android Wear app to their smartwatch. Then, when they get near their favorite LevelUp merchant, it will prompt them to ask if they'd like to pay. Tapping on the smartwatch screen or saying, "OK Google, start LevelUp" will display their LevelUp QR Code. Users can even swipe up and down to set a tip. Then, they just scan their wrist at the LevelUp scanner and seconds later will receive a push notification receipt, also displayed on their watch.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...-based-payments-via-new-android-wear-support/

TxdoHawk

Heads-up, looks like we'll see the Moto 360 early next month.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/14/6...to-a-launch-event-for-phones-headsets-and-the

We're waiting for a few things from Motorola: the 360 smartwatch, the successor to the Moto X, and anything else the company soon to be owned by Lenovo might have to show us. And on September 4th, we're going to get at least a glimpse. Motorola has just sent out invites to press to "a Moto Launch Experience," complete with a Cootie Catcher that opens up to reveal the phrases "Choose To Discover" and "Choose to Have Fun." (Apparently choice is important to Motorola. Who knew?) When it closes, there are four icons: A phone with an X in the middle, a phone with a G, a watch, and what appears to be a Bluetooth headset.

This isn't exactly the most secretive invite we've ever seen. We're apparently going to see two phones, the 360, and a headset of some kind. But exactly what will be revealed September 4th in Chicago, and we'll be there with all the details.

I would hope calling it the "Moto Launch Experience" means the 360 will finally get released, or at least a release date.

Jzero

The Moto 360 apparently lasting 2.5 days sounds awesome. Will sell my Gear Live if so.

Also, for the couple of weeks that I've owned my watch all the customers at work have asked me if i'm wearing an "iPhone Watch"

And i also found that the paint on the steel seems to be fading on the right side of the watch, hope this doesn't happen to the Moto 360.

TxdoHawk

The Moto 360 apparently lasting 2.5 days sounds awesome. Will sell my Gear Live if so.

Also, for the couple of weeks that I've owned my watch all the customers at work have asked me if i'm wearing an "iPhone Watch"

And i also found that the paint on the steel seems to be fading on the right side of the watch, hope this doesn't happen to the Moto 360.

Huh, that is really weird. Do you have any theory as to why that particular side is wearing?

Jzero

Huh, that is really weird. Do you have any theory as to why that particular side is wearing?

Well i work in a restaurant and i sweat a lot from all the fast paced work i have to do and the top of my hand touches the steel when i have to bend my hand. Still, it shouldn't wear off that quick.

Jzero

There was an Android Wear update today but Google didn't write what the update did.

Edit: Setting a timer via voice command works now.

TxdoHawk

There was an Android Wear update today but Google didn't write what the update did.

Edit: Setting a timer via voice command works now.

Is this "set an alarm for x minutes from now" or something different?

Also, (briefly mentioned in that ZenWatch article) LG announced the LG G Watch R:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/27/6...und-retro-smartwatch-with-good-looks-to-spare

A little too "faux-retro" for my tastes. Still, a few interesting bits:

The G Watch R's key feature is its display, a 1.3-inch Plastic OLED panel that takes up 100 percent of the watch's round face. LG promises that it's viewable in sunlight and clear from any angle, and the plastic also comes with some durability benefits — the G Watch R works in up to a meter of water for up to 30 minutes.

Android Wear iteration is pretty scary fast so far. I'm excited to see all these new AW watches come out + the iWatch.

Well i work in a restaurant and i sweat a lot from all the fast paced work i have to do and the top of my hand touches the steel when i have to bend my hand. Still, it shouldn't wear off that quick.

Agreed, although it seems like the best option would just be to avoid paint entirely.

KeRaSh

Moto 360 page is up. Available at 11

https://moto360.motorola.com/

Engadget says they'll have it at Best Buy stores so i'll go pick it up if so.

Finally. No word on international availability? I guess we'll have to wait until 9/9. I think Moto is holding another event then.
I think it's a little weird that they don't have metal bands available from the get go. Not sure if I would buy the leather version and upgrade to metal for 80$ when they come out in Fall or just wait... I'm not a patient person when it comes to technology.

What happened to the metal strap for the moto360...? I don't see it mentioned.

Coming this fall, apparently. Leather will be available tomorrow.. and they'll make metal bands available later for purchase separately if you want to use one of those instead of a leather band.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Seems like Moto 360 has some battery issues. Lasts about 12 hours which is way less than I expected. Software isn't optimized for the device yet. Let's see what Android L brings new to the table.

Jzero

It just hit me that I've only had my Gear Live for two months and I'm already replacing it haha. I'll try not to replace the moto 360 until the next generation with better battery life.

Lucifon

Coming this fall, apparently. Leather will be available tomorrow.. and they'll make metal bands available later for purchase separately if you want to use one of those instead of a leather band.

Just read that. Can't find any mention of the all metal version in the UK, as the thing is hitting the UK in October anyway apparently. That's the only one I'm interested in, looks like a hockey puck on a leather strap but it looks awesome in all metal.

Aiii

So not worth it
12 hours is just not enough. I don't really need a full 24 hours charge (though ideally, it should have that), but if it can't make the 8AM to 1AM cycle of being awake without needing to be charged it's pretty much useless to me.

LG G Watch R (awful name) it is, I guess (was already more interested in that due to Moto 360's size anyways, so that works out).

KeRaSh

Half a day battery life. DENIED.

12 hour battery life it a bummer but I always take my watch off when I get home so a 9 hour cycle would technically be enough for my use. If I want to wear it when going out later it should have enough time to sit on the charger to be ready when I leave.

Phoenix

Seems like Moto 360 has some battery issues. Lasts about 12 hours which is way less than I expected. Software isn't optimized for the device yet. Let's see what Android L brings new to the table.

I would have imagined Volta would have been at the core of the new OS. I'm starting to wonder if the device was delayed to resolve the battery issues - could have been worse before.

To be hinrst , I'm not sure where the drain is. You don't need the screen 24x7 and at most you need to keep BLE around for notifications. You should be able to do that 24x7 with that battery capacity. What the hell is it doing all day?

Geeun

Does anyone know if best buy will be selling the 360 in stores today? I found a link staying the website will, but nothing regarding retail stores.

RuGalz

yikes 12 hrs battery... honestly 2 days is already short for my liking... I think I'd rather someone make a b&w e-ink version, maybe...

Top Bottom