• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Angry" fans send Bioware 400 Cupcakes

Nerd Rage at it's finest, that will show Bioware lol

People my age won't vote for important things but they will waste $1000 to send cupcakes to voice their displeasure over a video game ending

It's amazing how much time and money is being wasted on such a trivial issue.

Zomba13

People my age won't vote for important things but they will waste $1000 to send cupcakes to voice their displeasure over a video game ending

How do you know the people who donated won't vote on important things?

So word on the street is all the writers and crew were left out of the loop in regards to crafting the ending. And now the writers and crew were left out of enjoying a playful retort to said ending.

Well played, BioWare.

They should have let Patrick Weekes taste one of the cupcakes first.

they are sending him to PAX, so maybe he will be able to hold on to three of them and make a joke about it. Anything really to stop people from targeting the only writer to come out of hiding and say something that made sense.

Jarmel

Banned

And wasting time and money on drugs is such a more important endeavor. I mean it's not like people don't waste money on entertainment in general. Hey though keep riding that horse.

some jagoff said:
we decided ultimately the reason that they were sent was not done in the context of celebrating the work or accomplishment of the Mass Effect 3 team

That'll teach people to send cupcakes instead of just, like, dropping a deuce on Dr. Ray's 540i.

jediyoshi

I can see how you'd think voting and giving money somewhere are mutually exclusive actions.

MC Safety

Child's Play requested no more money be sent. Charities are protective of their images and don't want to be seen, or perceived to be, in support of a movement or cause. In this case, Child's Play was concerned people might think it was supporting the movement to change Mass Effect 3's ending.

dokish

Banned
I'm really sad with what most of you guys are saying. Actually, I've been reading these site for years and I'm disappointed.

What is wrong with people today is this: pointing out that everything is wrong, but with crossed arms, whining: "This is wrong. Somebody change it!" and actually doing nothing to change the situation.

You really think a bunch of 14-year-olds could pull this together? This is work of MEN. Of real fans. They are sending a really clear message: "We are gamers and didn't like the way you lied to us. Here are our best and non-offensive method of protesting".

We can trash Bethesda, Bioware, Capcom, Nintendo of America or whatever, but can you organize as a group and to things differently instead of just complaining?

I'm really pround and happy that are still gamers that stood up for somethings. And this will give a message to other developers: gamers aren't a bunch of nerds who will buy anything we put on a disc with good marketing.

I expected more of you. :(

(and I bet a lot of us [me included] spend almost, or sometimes more, thousand bucks with lesser important things. And I bet this isn't one person thing, but donations).

danmaku

So much money wasted when it would've been 100 times easier to just mod the PC version and put whatever they wanted as the ending.

I'm really sad with what most of you guys are saying. Actually, I've been reading these site for years and I'm disappointed.

What is wrong with people today is this: pointing out that everything is wrong, but with crossed arms, whining: "This is wrong. Somebody change it!" and actually doing nothing to change the situation.

You really think a bunch of 14-year-olds could pull this together? This is work of MEN. Of real fans. They are sending a really clear message: "We are gamers and didn't like the way you lied to us. Here are our best and non-offensive method of protesting".

We can trash Bethesda, Bioware, Capcom, Nintendo of America or whatever, but can you organize as a group and to things differently instead of just complaining?

I'm really pround and happy that are still gamers that stood up for somethings. And this will give a message to other developers: gamers aren't a bunch of nerds who will buy anything we put on a disc with good marketing.

I expected more of you. :(

(and I bet a lot of us [me included] spend almost, or sometimes more, thousand bucks with lesser important things. And I bet this isn't one person thing, but donations).

What are they standing up for, other than passive aggression? If nothing else, the ME3 Enders have at least innovated in the area of acting like a dick while playing the victim. Transparent attempts to appear more reasonable by attaching a cause to an unrelated charity or sending gifts actually designed as a big "fuck you" is not effective. It's petulant. It's childish. It's not the action of adults. You might as well be holding your breath in the candy aisle.

What are they standing up for, other than passive aggression?

Competent endings

If nothing else, the ME3 Enders have at least innovated in the area of acting like a dick while playing the victim. Transparent attempts to appear more reasonable by attaching a cause to an unrelated charity or sending gifts actually designed as a big "fuck you" is not effective. It's petulant. It's childish. It's not the action of adults. You might as well be holding your breath in the candy aisle.

They started donating to bring attention to the problem and to stop the "entitled" insults from flying around. And this is a creative and mature way to address concerns. And it's not the only form criticism has taken. There are videos, articles, and essays on the matter. It's not petulant. It's not childish.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Bioware said:
The gesture certainly gained our attention both with its creativity and deliciousness. However, while we do appreciate that fans were creative in how they expressed their views, after a lot of discussion, we decided ultimately the reason that they were sent was not done in the context of celebrating the work or accomplishment of the Mass Effect 3 team. This is a subtle, but important aspect in determining how to pass the feedback to the team.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this paragraph right. Does it sound incredibly stupid to anybody else?

Maybe it's sarcastic?

They are sending a really clear message: "We are gamers and didn't like the way you lied to us. Here are our best and non-offensive method of protesting".

There are loads of other games they could have bought instead, but they chose to prop up a game by a publisher notorious for nickle and diming people in crass and cynical ways. They could have supported something new and different but bought the lowest common denominator from a company notorious for gouging people and then were surprised when they got burnt.

They could have taken a chance and said "the third game in this boring series? Fuck this, I'm going to do some research and try a game that does something different even if it doesn't have megabucks lavished on it. That would send a real message to developers and publishers to not treat us like easily pleased idiots". Instead they bought the game with good marketing.

I'm sure the next step for the vast majority of these people once the collective backslapping ends will be to buy the inevitable sequel(s) and endless DLC as they always would have and will do anyway.

Still, while videogaming gained nothing, at least a charity got some money.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
They could have taken a chance and said "the third game in this boring series? Fuck this, I'm going to do some research and try a game that does something different even if it doesn't have megabucks lavished on it. That would send a real message to developers and publishers to not treat us like easily pleased idiots". Instead they bought the game with good marketing.
What? Most of the people who bought the third game and are complaining genuinely enjoyed the journey with their character from the first two games, it had nothing to do with marketing. The people who jumped ship on the series because they did have issues with the story likely didn't bother.

They could have taken a chance and said "the third game in this boring series? Fuck this

Literally 100% of the anger at the ending of Mass Effect 3 is predicated on how incredible 97% of ME3 is and how thoroughly Bioware otherwise delivered on the premise of their three-game-long interconnected saga and the idea of your choices carrying forward specifically. Absent the ending problem, ME3 would've been a strong contender for GAF's GOTY and it would've deserved every bit of the praise it got in the process. It's an excellent game, a demonstration of what AAA budgets paying AAA teams can accomplish given the right vision and talent, and something that (again, absent the problem that arises in the last ten minutes of play) is well worth supporting.

I know it makes you, like, super wicked awesome to stick it to the man or whatever, but the pose is pretty irrelevant here.

Top Bottom