• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Angry" fans send Bioware 400 Cupcakes

Ploid 3.0

In the Bioware community forums cupcake thread.

669844d8ad0eee8ebe54727446265a2ec288b090.jpg

zroid

Banned
In the Bioware community forums cupcake thread.

669844d8ad0eee8ebe54727446265a2ec288b090.jpg

I don't really know what people were expecting. For BioWare to repeatedly give updates on the progress of that bug fix? Seems a bit excessive to me. They are aware of the problem, they are going to correct it; people have the right to be pissed, but I don't see how frequent apologies from BioWare staff is going to solve anything.

On the other hand, here's a nice gesture (to combat some of the vitriolic statements made against these people) and they are openly thankful of it.

Is that so surprising?

Tajin

Banned
I don't really know what people were expecting. For BioWare to repeatedly give updates on the progress of that bug fix? Seems a bit excessive to me. They are aware of the problem, they are going to correct it; people have the right to be pissed, but I don't see how frequent apologies from BioWare staff is going to solve anything.

On the other hand, here's a nice gesture (to combat some of the vitriolic statements made against these people) and they are openly thankful of it.

Is that so surprising?

Yes.

Do you realize how much it would mean to people if someone on a developer account popped into the thread and simply mentioned how it was going or how they were working on it? Answer: a lot.

Cystm

Is that so surprising?

RiPIe.gif

Ploid 3.0

Yes.

Do you realize how much it would mean to people if someone on a developer account popped into the thread and simply mentioned how it was going or how they were working on it? Answer: a lot.

Yeah a little assurance is always helpful especially when a post isn't that hard to make in this day and age. English speaking teams are so much better at this than Japanese teams that only pay attention to their speaking customers (note: Well I only have experience with SE in regard to FFXI feedback, and dev communication). A customer and fans shouldn't feel like they are ignored intentionally when they made sure their collective voices were heard. They are probably feeling bad seeing the attention and communication the cake thing is getting from employees.

Maybe those two posts weren't enough to clear things up and people continued to wait on more information before starting their game.

Cake:

"Thank you guys, you're awesome. I need to see if they can make a Marauder Shields cake. Nom nom nom nom."

Specialty cupcake, grocery cupcake, they are all sugary shitty stuff that will give me type 2 diabetes. They are all just sugars. I don't taste the difference.

Specialty cupcake, grocery cupcake, they are all sugary shitty stuff that will give me type 2 diabetes. They are all just sugars. I don't taste the difference.

Really? I don't understand you. "Hamburgers are gross! I've had hamburgers from Mcdonalds! They aren't that special!! You can get a hamburger there for $1, why would I spend $10 for one!! They are all the same!" Stating you have no taste for quality is not a positive...

It seems the cupcakes were delivered and this was Biowares response :-

Chris Priestly said:
193445.jpg

Hi Everyone

Today, we received the 400 cupcakes you collectively sent us through your donations to express your feelings about the endings of Mass Effect 3. We want you to know; we are indeed listening to all fan response and acknowledge your feedback. We appreciate creative and thoughtful attempts like this one.

The gesture certainly gained our attention both with its creativity and deliciousness. However, while we do appreciate that fans were creative in how they expressed their views, after a lot of discussion, we decided ultimately the reason that they were sent was not done in the context of celebrating the work or accomplishment of the Mass Effect 3 team. This is a subtle, but important aspect in determining how to pass the feedback to the team.

BioWare regularly works with many deserving charities, as such it was decided that rather than passing out the cupcakes to staff or wasting good food, to donate them on behalf of our fans to a local Edmonton youth shelter. We know that for the kids that have to use this facility, something as simple as a cupcake is a rare treat and would definitely brighten up their day. Thank you to the fine folks at the local youth shelter for accepting the donation and to the fans who donated the cupcakes.

Please keep providing your feedback on Mass Effect 3, we’re still listening.

Source :- http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/10635792/90#10777324

Kinda expected them to not eat the cakes and give them away to charity.

So is this still out of Bioware's pockets?

No it was never out of Bioware's pockets the invoice mistakenly said "COD" however the cakes were paid for via the organisers credit card and he was refunded via the donations specifically set up for this. It was all above board, it didn't cost Bioware money it was just a simple mistake on the invoice that is all.

rozay

Banned
So we gave Bioware employees 3 choices in cupcake types, and they ended up picking a 4th option.

Wish we had that much choice in the actual game :/

Deadstar

Or warn people in advance they fucked up the face import.

I don't see how that goes "unnoticed"

Right. The whole point of the import feature is to import your character into the game. Not only the actions but the actual face and body. I tried creating a new character and it was just weird. It didn't feel like Mass Effect to me. My character IS commander shep, no other face. No idea how they could not test to see if a save from ME1 imported into 2 then 3 work. I won't touch the campaign until the patch is out.

Shambles

Haha, so true.

At least the local youth shelter took the cupcakes instead of rejecting the donation because they didn't want to be used as a platform for ulterior motives.

When do we see the article from YES stating how they could not accept the cupcakes after playing ME3 to the end?

Prologue

I hated the ME3 and it pretty much ruined the series for me. I don't even feel like playing the previous games anymore. Though to be honest, I feel bad for bioware lol. Sending Cupcakes as a "lol" gesture to the team. Its like, this level of feedback from a fan base hasn't been seen before. Kinda hard not to feel bad ya know?

Vire

You have to admire Priestly's ability to make himself look like a huge asshole when talking about donating sweets to needy children

I'm pretty sure Bioware did this shortly after tossing the cupcakes off to the youth shelter.

addasnew.gif

Top Bottom