• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Angry" fans send Bioware 400 Cupcakes

Lime

The gesture certainly gained our attention both with its creativity and deliciousness. However, while we do appreciate that fans were creative in how they expressed their views, after a lot of discussion, we decided ultimately the reason that they were sent was not done in the context of celebrating the work or accomplishment of the Mass Effect 3 team. This is a subtle, but important aspect in determining how to pass the feedback to the team.

So if feedback isn't celebratory, the actual developers won't get the feedback? If I understand this correctly, it sounds like a total bullshit response.

rozay

Banned
You have to admire Priestly's ability to make himself look like a huge asshole when talking about donating sweets to needy children
yeah the bit about the cupcakes not being "the appropriate type of feedback" is really seeming to rub people the wrong way in the BSN thread, regardless of whether or not they're happy the cupcakes went to homeless kids.

Massa

So if feedback isn't celebratory, the actual developers won't get the feedback? If I understand this correctly, it sounds like a total bullshit response.

No, if the feedback is not positive then the developers won't get a nice cupcake. I assume it's because the person that wrote that doesn't want his coworkers to feel mocked.

Jarmel

Banned
You have to admire Priestly's ability to make himself look like a huge asshole when talking about donating sweets to needy children

This. It's pretty amazing that they are getting so tight-assed from a little criticism and can't take a joke. I would have rolled with the joke but than again I'm actually a normal human being.

Vire

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/621/biowarecorp.png

lolz

New statement from Mr.Priestly:

Chris said:
People are spinning this incorrectly to say we are not listening to "negative feedback" and how bad we are and etcetera.

Wrong.

We did listen. At no time did we try to stop Fuss for making the cupcakes or delivering them (this would be unfair to Fuss and to the fans who sent the cupcakes and a generally dickish thing to do). When the cupcakes reached us, we did not refuse to take them (again, unfair to the people who sent them). I, along with Fernando, Mark and Alistair went down, met with Shadow Wrought, gave him some swag for being brave enough to show up and keep us honest and took them upstairs. We took all of the included messages out of the bags and boxes so we would not lose them (again, cuz we're listening). We did not throw them away, ignore them till they got stale or not use them as what they are, food. We chose not to eat them and gave them to a needy charity.

The message REACHED us. Whether we ate the cupcakes, threw them in teh garbage or donated them to charity is secondary to us getting the message, right? If we had (somehow) frozen time, put them in a display case for all time as a reminder of the message sent by fans, this would have been the same thing.

Us actually eating the cupcakes or not should not have been the issue. The issue was fans creatively sent us a message expressing their love for Mass Effect as a franchise, but dislike over the endings. This message was delivered to us and we got it loud and clear.

What's the significance of the ABC? I haven't played ME3, nor do I know the ending but you can spoiler it and I'll read it if it's relevant to the ABC thing.

Vire

What's the significance of the ABC? I haven't played ME3, nor do I know the ending but you can spoiler it and I'll read it if it's relevant to the ABC thing.

"The cupcakes are colored Red, Blue and Green and labeled A, B or C as a dig at executive produce Casey Hudson's statements where he said, “It’s not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C…The endings have a lot more sophistication and variety in them."

You should play the game by the way. Certainly worth playing besides the missteps with the ending.

He makes a good point. Whether or not they consumed the confectionery is irrelevant. We should just be glad that they understood the symbolism and are actively taking in the feedback.

I guess it's something that even Bioware has the bare minimum amount of shame required to not eat the cakes while they work on the paid DLC that they will sell to the same suckers who sent the cakes in the first place.

z2ZV7.png

sTeLioSco

Banned

you should play it,is a great game...
but the its not like grandtheftauto or modern warfare that are standalone storywise,it would be better if you played me1 and me2.... the games are a trilogy.

But then if you play all 3 and spend so many hours on them you probably hate the ending.....

BioWareCupcakes6104.jpg

Omikaru

People are complaining they didn't eat the cupcakes?

I bet PR told them not to eat them, as it'd show a sign of weakness, or that Bioware is making a concession to the fans, or some such nonsense.

Personally, I find this whole thing hilarious. And those cupcakes look delicious, with their red, blue, and green space magic icing. Yum.

Derrick01

Banned
So we gave Bioware employees 3 choices in cupcake types, and they ended up picking a 4th option.

Wish we had that much choice in the actual game :/

This was my first thought too. Why do they get to choose another option and not respect the artistic integrity of the bakers?

8bit

Knows the Score
They should only have been allowed to eat the cupcakes if these cupcakes have met the threshold of 85/100 on metacupcake, otherwise the cupcakes should have been withheld.

I'll echo my thoughts from the other thread and say that I'm fine with Bioware not eating the cupcakes, despite not being fine with Bioware.

I don't think there would have been anything wrong with them, but they were certainly a snarky thing to donate, so Bioware is not wrong about that.

If they really meant that they didn't eat them because they were negative in feedback then, yes, that makes them assholes, but still doesn't make the net result a bad thing.

Fathead

They said they wouldn't eat the cupcakes because they weren't sent in the spirit of celebrating Mass Effect 3 or the efforts of everyone who worked on them. People were upset at that statement, since it basically said that they only want positive feedback.

I don't think anyone thinks its bad that they donated them, but the way they phrased their response made it seem like they were telling anyone who doesn't slobber all over the game to STFU.

Odd, the first statement was bad because it implied criticism wrapped in cupcakes somehow still manages to not be nice enough feedback to pass onto the team.

...they were sent was not done in the context of celebrating the work or accomplishment of the Mass Effect 3 team. This is a subtle, but important aspect in determining how to pass the feedback to the team.

Then the second statement talks about eating cupcakes vs not eating them, and somehow that addresses the first complaint?

Us actually eating the cupcakes or not should not have been the issue.

In the end he says they got the message so I guess it all works out, but that was a strange way of getting there.

AlexBasch

If they ate even only one cupcake they would be all "lololol u can bribe bioshit with cupcakes what a fucking joke of a company"

They didn't so some of them must be like: "ur too good to even eat one of those? fuck u bioware"

At this point I'm not even surprised that people will endlessly hate on Bioware one way or the other, they will never redeem themselves, they will always be hated.

Fathead

If they ate even only one cupcake they would be all "lololol u can bribe bioshit with cupcakes what a fucking joke of a company"

They didn't so some of them must be like: "ur too good to even eat one of those? fuck u bioware"

At this point I'm not even surprised that people will endlessly hate on Bioware one way or the other, they will never redeem themselves, they will always be hated.

The only reason people were upset was the fact that they basically said that only 100% positive feedback matters.

DTKT

That's because they keep making mistakes.

(since DAII)

Replicant

They didn't so they're: "ur too good to even eat one of those? fuck u bioware"

Hate don't just come out of nowhere. Unless it's race, sexuality or religion related, you must have done something awful to earn one

Dresden

Man Bioware are so bad at this. Is the business culture over there grim or what? I would've taken pictures of every moment, had developers smiling as they ate them, then giving the rest to charity. Post all of that and no waffling around explaining things with stilted PR speak, just say something simple like, "we're listening (and full)!"

I know it seems like people are bitching no matter what they do but seriously, they've had some weird approaches to PR for a long time. It's getting pretty strange.

EA Culture (tm)

It'd be neat if someone did something like ordering cupcakes for the dev team of a game they liked as a way of showing their support.
Maybe I'll send a bunch of cupcakes to certain developers
along with a resume and a letter desperately begging for an internship

AlexBasch

Hate don't just come out of nowhere. You must have done something awful to earn one
Edited my post, since I was kinda generalizing between the actually founded posts with criticism towards Bioware with the freak ME fanbase.

And yes, I realize that Bioware has done some bad stuff (in before someone comes here and says "some? SOME?!" I'll just say that I enjoyed the ME saga and most of their recent games, so excuse me if anyone finds my like of those games offensive) but then again I'm just entertained at this whole situation. It's...kinda interesting to see that everything they do ends up in more backlash and more outrage no matter what.

The only reason people were upset was the fact that they basically said that only 100% positive feedback matters.
Ah, missed that part, my apologies. I thought it was a "they didn't ate the cupcakes, them assholes!" thing.

Then again, Bioware must have realized how risky it was to eat one of those, half kidding here.

Vire

Man Bioware are so bad at this. Is the business culture over there grim or what? I would've taken pictures of every moment, had developers smiling as they ate them, then giving the rest to charity. Post all of that and no waffling around explaining things with stilted PR speak, just say something simple like, "we're listening (and full)!"

I know it seems like people are bitching no matter what they do but seriously, they've had some weird approaches to PR for a long time. It's getting pretty strange.
This.

That's all they had to do.

Jesus Christ.

Zomba13

They should have let Patrick Weekes taste one of the cupcakes first.

Not in the Bioware spirit. Casey Hudson and Mac Walters should have kept all the cupcakes for themselves and leave everyone else with lots of speculation as to what happened and why.

markatisu

Nerd Rage at it's finest, that will show Bioware lol

People my age won't vote for important things but they will waste $1000 to send cupcakes to voice their displeasure over a video game ending

Top Bottom