• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe Elder Scrolls Online Review

Abriael

Banned
Pretty hyperbolic in quite a few points, spot on on others, but the hyperbole tips the validity of the review out of balance, IMHO.

Stare-Bear

Banned
Every time I watch one of his video's, I can't help but wonder how awful his leather jacket must smell...

Still interested in trying ESO though, big fan of Oblivion and Skyrim, so I'm giving the dev's the benefit of the doubt.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Pretty hyperbolic in quite a few points, spot on on others, but the hyperbole tips the validity of the review out of balance, IMHO.

Care to share with the rest of us which exactly are the hyperbolic points? Am dead serious here so not sarcasm.

Kevin

I only watched a few minutes but yeah the game looks terrible and nowhere near worth the large asking price. Don't even think I'd be interested if it was f2p.

Prototype

Watched this earlier, he's right on the money (as always) and the game does look average at best. Like I said in the OT, I think it's unforgivable that an entire race is locked behind a paywall. really hoping more people don't support this, even though I've seen it selling rather well on the West Coast. I wonder what sub retention rates will look like, hopefully dismal.

edit: $60 +$15 a month + micro transactions. :( not cool

TheContact

I was in the beta and thoroughly enjoyed it in the beginning few levels, then when I leveled up a bit and learned more about how the game works I grew less and less fond of it. They really had a good thing going but strayed too far from the elder scrolls

Phazon

Played it with Dawg and our review will be up soon, but we had exactly the same issues and feelings about this game like Joe. It's horrible. :(

Whompa

I watched about 5 minutes. His points seemed fair but his presentation feels so forced. Game looks pretty bad...

Steroyd

Yeah Joe really wanted to like it based off what he said in the beta, and it does sound like some of the things wrong with the game wouldn't have been acceptable in a f2p model nevermind a pay for with a subscription model ontop of that.

I bought it for £24 from cdkeys and at that price it's worth buying and firing through as much as I can in one month and then never touching it again.

It's an OK game, 5/10 maybe a tad harsh but it really isn't great.

Jawmuncher

I wonder if ESO is going to even make it to PS4 and XBO. Last I heard they've been quiet on that front. Doesn't help that the hype really died for it and they haven't flaunted numbers which isn't a good sign. This is definitely going to hit F2P just like SWTOR.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
seems a bit harsh, but he makes some valid points about bugs and horse price. I'm having fun, quests are excellent, and exploration is satisfactory. Game has a HUGE list of issues and incredibly stupid design decisions, but I enjoy my time with it

He has some points...

But a lot of his "flaws" are inherent in the MMO genre... so that makes his whole rant a bit weird TBH.

They only thing that I really agree with that is just badly done are the horse prices and the grouping. In many ways TESO is incorporating old school ideas that MMO players have been asking for.

The game is quite good and a very solid basis for an awesome MMO.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Ya dun fucked it up.

Not usually a fan of AJS, but this was a well-thought out review. Figured the game was DOA to begin with.
I'd argue the game is far from "DOA" considering every zone I've been in there are numerous people running around enjoying what the game offers them. Of course, this is my opinion from playing the game but yeah, far from dead and far from a terrible experience that people expected coming out of beta.
Wait, this is out now? Talk about an MMO that had no hype at launch...
I live in Australia and have seen huge ads plastered all over the place, buses with the usual advertisement and several ads on TV. Of course, if the game interested you you'd be following it more, wouldn't you?
Care to share with the rest of us which exactly are the hyperbolic points? Am dead serious here so not sarcasm.
Not the person you are replying to, but as I have pointed out in the OT, some of his points are slightly over the top or tinfoil hat tier. I won't go into massive detail but from what I have played (I'm now level 27 on Ebonheart Pact) I can safely say it is a fun game, one that I will eagerly pay for but again, that's all my opinion and experience.

Onto his points, the biggest one I take annoyance with is the horses. They are a gold sink, and any MMO player knows exactly what to expect from gold sinks. Yes, the game does offer vast areas that would be better suited to horseback, but that isn't meant to be a punishment, instead its to capture the Elder Scrolls feel of being able to venture everywhere. Of course, in past single-player titles you could simply steal a horse, when you move into the MMO world that doesn't quite translate well.

This is my other main point, a number of his complaints come from him comparing the game and wanting it to play like the single-player title. What ESO does is it takes what made Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind so fun, and places that into the MMO mould. Yes, that can be somewhat misleading because it relies on several single-player mechanics, but everyone forgets that this is an MMO, and that in itself relies on things to be changed.

PvE in the game is super fun, and this isn't pure hyperbole from myself because I'm enjoying it and want it to succeed or am a fanboy or what have you. It really captures the Elder Scrolls feel of being open, being free and just wandering around soaking in those gorgeous environments. In saying that, I strongly agree that the bugs in the game do detract from that experience, as would any bug in any game. I

'm playing on the Ebonheart Pact and I have run into a number of quests broken or NPCs missing, but the great thing is it doesn't feel as bad as say WoW missing a quest or the like. In that title, missing a quest can be detrimental to levelling, while in ESO the game still encourages you to wander and maybe find something else. Yes, that shouldn't be an excuse for game-breaking bugs, but the fact I can still enjoy the game is great.

One other thing, I definitely agree with the phasing. I'm playing with about 14 other friends one of which being my girlfriend and it can be very frustrating trying to actually play together. I can and do appreciate the single-player aspects of allowing players to play by themselves, but that does go against them at times when people DO want to group together.

I'm not a huge fan of Angry Joe, but I absolutely appreciate critiquing and he is a rather well spoken fellow. Is the game "DOA"? No, far from it. Is it worth a subscription? I'd argue for what is currently there its a really neat experience and they've capture the Elder Scrolls feel exceptionally well. This will appeal to some and not to others. Games are games, go out and enjoy them.
I wonder if ESO is going to even make it to PS4 and XBO. Last I heard they've been quiet on that front. Doesn't help that the hype really died for it and they haven't flaunted numbers which isn't a good sign. This is definitely going to hit F2P just like SWTOR.
I highly, highly doubt it will be free-to-play by the end of this year. If Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn can survive on 500,000 with its most likely absorbent budget than ESO can easily do the same. You'll see the console versions at E3.

Xiaoki

The item dupe after item dupe after item dupe pushed me to cancel sub and never look back.

Zenimax was in over their heads and couldnt smooth out the rough parts of the game.

Yet another MMO released too early goes onto the pile.

Prototype

I love Angry Joe. One of the few who actually speaks what he want to speak.
I agree.

Whatever people think about him or his show personality, he's one of the few game reviewers who is consistently Pro-Consumer. For that alone I will support him.

edit:
Love how people come into this thread just to bash him. Like whats the point? If you dont like him why bother even reading about what he had to say?

this too. Stupid comments that add nothing to the conversation. Posts #15 and #24 are shinning examples of NeoGAF: "a nexus of hardcore gamers, enthusiast press, and video game industry developers and publishers. This is a neutral ground where facts and evidence, presented within the confines of civil, inclusive discourse, prevail through careful moderation." Way to raise the bar guys!

I haven't played the game to judge how accurate he is, but I think he articulates his problems with it pretty well. And I laughed at several points in the review.

Vashetti

Banned
I highly, highly doubt it will be free-to-play by the end of this year. If Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn can survive on 500,000 with its most likely absorbent budget than ESO can easily do the same. You'll see the console versions at E3.

A Realm Reborn is incredibly polished and leagues better than ESO. A Realm Reborn is keeping that userbase.

We'll see in a few months how many stick with ESO once their bundled 30 days runs out.

Fuz

Banned
He has valid points. The "paywall" issue is an huge issue and gamers shouldn't stand for it.

But... the game is fun. He's been too hard on it.

Most of the reason why I rarely watch his stuff. His more informative stuff is great, but his attempts at comedy, satire, whatever fall awkwardly flat and cringey.

True that. His humor is a bit childish in my opinion.

I agree.

Whatever people think about him or his show personality, he's one of the few game reviewers who is consistently Pro-Consumer. For that alone I will support him.

And this is also true.
I think he has bad, unrefined taste in games, but I still like him because he always speaks his mind and he's not afraid of criticizing big publishers.

tsumineko

The review is spot on, and voices many of the issues I have had while playing. His "theme park ride" analogy is exactly what I had been thinking as well.

I'm still playing and enjoying, but he is 100% right on all his points. It's a great review. I am definitely enjoying a 5/10 game.

antitrop

It's clear this game should have never existed. I don't know why anyone would play this over Oblivion/Skyrim with mods, or WoW/FF XIV.

Double

Funny reading all the sudden positive stuff in the ESO OT directly at launch it was I think. And by that I mean disturbing.

jtenma

Banned
Most of the reason why I rarely watch his stuff. His more informative stuff is great, but his attempts at comedy, satire, whatever fall awkwardly flat and cringey.

He's not trying to be funny though.

It seems he was genuinely upset and confused at certain design choices. IMO, he made an incredible point I didnt even know about in reference to grouping for PVE content.

Wow. Zenimax failed. That is all I'll say.

ShinMaruku

I would be with him but I seen this being a shithole from faaaarrrr away. But he does put up good points but really MMOs mechanically are fucking terrible games and this game was aiming for that with apeing Skyrim, that was a combination that will end up terrible.

2San

What is the point of the game really. Devs really need to stop making MMO's single player experiences it is so dumb.

Top Bottom