• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe gets called out by IGNs review editor for misquoting their Titanfall review

DryvBy

Stapleton's was right, though he could have handled that argument a bit more professionally.

Angry Joe is a immature twat.

Because of the name calling?

But man, Danny's arguing over 0.1 was cringe worthy. Seriously? You guys gave it a 9, rounded up. He couldn't even answer what merit was used to make it 0.1 off from a 9.0.

marrec

Banned
"Angry" Joe and his online persona are a joke and I don't think gimmick personalities really bring much critically to the table. (I'm looking at you Jim Sterling -.-).... that said, it's not like IGN is a bastion of credibility and if Dan would like "Angry" Joe to stop making fun of them then maybe Dan needs to raise the level of critical discourse at IGN.

daviyoung

Banned
All this over 1%?

I say 1% because that's exactly what 0.1 is.

However it's obviously not, because IGN adopt the 7-10 scale so 0.1 is actually much bigger number. I'm too lazy to work out what 0.1 equates to.

Stupid argument, but at least it highlights IGN's masturbatory and arbitrary numbering scheme.

Scottiths

Banned
Linking the 'believe the hype' quote with a review where that quote didn't appear is bit disingenuous, yeah.

/edit: though it is a bit dumb to even use such words in professional coverage to begin with.
I don't think it is about the .1 at all. It is about the above quote. Linking something that doesn't appear in an article and implying it is in the article is not cool. Even if they said it in a preview, it didn't appear in the review as Joe implied.

Lucifon

WOW! I hadn't seen that! As if I needed more reasons to hate that MS shilling prick. Just, fucking wow.

He's IGN's Xbox guy... pretty sure that reaction is uncalled for. You really think the Playstation editor's wouldn't jump at a chance to be on stage for the Sony conferences? The Beyond crew got super excited about their shoutout in the 2013 Sony conference. Being a fan of a product doesn't make you delusional.

There's a couple of wrongs from both sides on this:

• Quoting preview commentary that does not represent the game's final judgement is misrepresentative.
  • 8.9 is essentially almost a 9. It's a very high score. Trying to argue otherwise is highly pedantic.
  • Angry Joe's constant namecalling and colourful insults during the whole Twitter exchange paints a terrible picture of him. He's the one that needs to grow up.

Another casualty of people acting dumb on Twitter for the whole world to see. Merrhh.
This. The stuff he quoted wasn't on their review. I enjoy some stuff Joe does, but if I had never watched one of his videos I would definitely not look forward to do so after reading this.

Joe needs to cut it out with the name calling and insults. He could have handled this much better and professionally. This doesn't reflect well on him in the slightest.

That being said, I am on his side for this one. Dan could have contacted him about this privately without being an instigator on twitter. Instead he decided to make drive-by passive agressive remarks and start the whole shit fest. As an average joe (no pun intended) gamer, things like a .1 difference in score and whether a comment came from a preview or the review don't matter much to me.

When I read a preview or review of the game, I am taking that as a representation of the company/source's attitude on the game. While Dan is technically correct that Joe did represent the wording in the preview as the review, for people that just glance at these things, I do just see a representation of attitude. Quite honestly, if they want me to make a bigger distinction between the two, either dial back the initial hyperbole or give the game a lower score when you have criticisms.

Eggbok

Stapleton's was right, though he could have handled that argument a bit more professionally.

Angry Joe is a immature twat.

He could have handled the unnecessarily public argument on twitter more professionally? Although the name calling isn't needed.

He's IGN's Xbox guy... pretty sure that reaction is uncalled for. You really think the Playstation editor's wouldn't jump at a chance to be on stage for the Sony conferences? The Beyond crew got super excited about their shoutout in the 2013 Sony conference. Being a fan of a product doesn't make you delusional.

If that's what he wants fine, but he sure as hell shouldn't be reviewing Xbox games while at the same time pimping himself out the Microsoft., you can stick Gies into that equation too.

The argument being presented here is basically "Joe looks bad because he said a few too many mean words" compared to "IGN shamelessly lets its journalists promote the fuck out of products with some of the most amateur enthusiast writing I've seen in my life".

"“Have you seen Titanfall?” they’ll say. And little by little – or maybe in droves, who knows? – they will flock to Titanfall, and they will never go back. Not after this. Titanfall is the next great evolution of the twitch-action first-person shooter. Believe the hype."

That's an actual line from a preview. Yeah no Joe can get away with all the language he wants in this "debate".

BibiMaghoo

So this is the IGN scale?

9 - Great.
8.9 - almost great.
8.8 - almost great.
8.7 - almost great
8.6 - almost great
8.5 - better than good
8.4 - better than good
8.3 - better than good
8.2 - better than good
8.1 - better than good
8.0 - good.

Anything wrong with this lol?

AHA-Lambda

Delusional? No.

Calls into question your integrity as a journalist? Absolutely.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Haha, that is just crazy. I'll never understand how to use or why its used, but Twitter offers the greatest debates and arguments ever.

One example of integrity IGN style. Executive Editor /IGN:
BkEMvZRCMAAWq79.jpg

Need I say more?

I've never liked Ryan's opinions because he always seemed to have such a bias. But why would you tweet something like that? He's obviously joking, but the way he wrote it, is like he went out of his way to make it sound serious / it's obvious he would jump at that chance and shit on journalism. It's hard not for anyone slightly cynical to think the guy is a shill looking for a MS PR job.

Bring back TRL!

MechaX

If you want to know what the difference is between 8.9 and 9, get out your calculator. The answer is a matter of fact that cannot be disputed.

And how do you quantify this in terms of the thing we're talking about, a video game? What exactly makes a game a tenth better than another similarly situated video game outside of "Well, the reviewer felt this score was justified because of... reasons."

Yeah, the mathematics of the problem is not being disputed here; the main dispute is what the difference even signifies in the context of an evaluation of a product outside of metacritic stuff, assuming there is even a difference.

I never implied that he was "delusional", I am shitting on the guy because he's biased to the point of being an MS corporate shill.

erawsd

9 - Great.
8.9 - almost great.
8.8 - almost great.
8.7 - almost great
8.6 - almost great
8.5 - better than good
8.4 - better than good
8.3 - better than good
8.2 - better than good
8.1 - better than good
8.0 - good.

Come on dude, thats ridiculous...

There is no way an 8.4 is the same as a 8.5.

TheD

The Detective
So dan stapleton called Angry Joe "malicious" due to 0.1 of a review score,
That is not insane or anything.....

Dan Stapleton just makes himself look like a moron for arguing over a decimal place.

No, not really...

It doesn't matter that the game is 1 decimal point from being scored 9.0, and being classified as amazing. A concious decision was made that the game did not deserve that status. Instead it was scored 8.9 and was classified as a great game.

You might argue that the difference in score is so minuscule they might as well just have given it a 9.0, but obviously IGN did not feel the game deserved to be called amazing. That really shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp.

I'm with Dan on this one.

Wow this is the most retarded thing I've seen internet people do today.

While I'm more inclined to agree with Joe on this whole thing, he shouldn't have even bothered arguing with him and especially shouldn't have stooped to the same name calling.

Noaksey

Neo Member

9 - Great.
8.9 - almost great.
8.8 - almost great.
8.7 - almost great
8.6 - almost great
8.5 - better than good
8.4 - better than good
8.3 - better than good
8.2 - better than good
8.1 - better than good
8.0 - good.

Yeah I think it's more like this..

I would like to see exactly how IGN Splits up there review grading

8.5 Good But not Quite there
8.6 Good But Getting almost There
8.7 Good but Getting There
8.8 Good can almost touch Awesome
8.9 Good touching on to awesome but just quite not a 9.. Nope NO way is this a 9

9.0 Awesome Well for no longer being 8.9

Maybe that guy was bored so wanted to get more views by poking Angry Joe?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The thing is, guys like Joe are watched for their shtick. IGN is bring pretty trivial here and they look more foolish. Some act as if Joe's behavior is *gasp* immoral. Take a look at how some people here act before casting stones.

To crap on Joe for who he is would negate the reason for watching his content. Joe's fine just the way he is. Let's not act like the morality police and dismiss a good guy for defending his rep.

The main point of this makes IGN look worse.

Acorn

They definitely calmed down for the actual review but they were acting shameless about the game from day one.

"I stopped played and I was just shaking, pure adrenaline"
"No game like this"
"Believe the hype"

IGN went absolutely crazy for this game and built it up to a level that it never actually achieved. I almost feel like it's scores suffered because of that.
Shaking? Really? Does anyone ever experience this from a game that isn't related to a seizure. Why do people write this overblown crap?

I've never liked Ryan's opinions because he always seemed to have such a bias. But why would you tweet something like that? He's obviously joking, but the way he wrote it, is like he went out of his way to make it sound serious / it's obvious he would jump at that chance and shit on journalism. It's hard not for anyone slightly cynical to think the guy is a shill looking for a MS PR job.

Bring back TRL!

In what way is he "obviously joking" there? I mean it's pretty consistent with everything else I've seen from him. A quick google search finds he apparently worked on the Xbox Magazine before going to IGN.

Totally joking.

Twinduct

The thing is, guys like Joe are watched for their shtick. IGN is bring pretty trivial here and they look more foolish. Some act as if Joe's behavior is *gasp* immoral. Take a look at how some people here act before casting stones.

To crap on Joe for who he is would negate the reason for watching his content. Joe's fine just the way he is. Let's not act like the morality police and dismiss a good guy for defending his rep.

The main point of this makes IGN look worse.

Nah man! I don't care about that, I have a personal grievance with this guy so I will use each and every public moment I can to remind everyone how much I hate this guy Joe and his so called shtick!

He did, however, attribute a quote from the Preview to their Review. Disingenuous at the worst and unprofessional at best.

I'm not disputing that fact, thats why i said its 50/50 a few posts ago, alot of people here seemed to focus on the 9/10 - 8.9 thing when thats pretty clear as day.

IGN are misrepresting joe saying 9/10 for their review when he didnt

and joes misrepresenting their preview as a review text.

both as bad as each other, well except one is a Man-child you tuber and the other is the Review editor for one of the worlds biggest gaming websites.

you do expect professionalism out of one of them...

No, not really...

It doesn't matter that the game is 1 decimal point from being scored 9.0, and being classified as amazing. A concious decision was made that the game did not deserve that status. Instead it was scored 8.9 and was classified as a great game.

You might argue that the difference in score is so minuscule they might as well just have given it a 9.0, but obviously IGN did not feel the game deserved to be called amazing. That really shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp.

I'm with Dan on this one.

Exactly this, the whole exchange is overblown but IGN loves their review scores and .9 is always pretty telling.

marrec

Banned
Nah man! I don't care about that, I have a personal grievance with this guy so I will use each and every public moment I can to remind everyone how much I hate this guy Joe and his so called shtick!

I feel like there's some history here that I'm missing.

Czigga

I dunno I think you guys know that the difference between 8.9 and 9.0 is more than 0.1 on the meta level. it's more than the 'math' suggests.

scitek

Linking the 'believe the hype' quote with a review where that quote didn't appear is bit disingenuous, yeah.

/edit: though it is a bit dumb to even use such words in professional coverage to begin with.

Angry Joe can do that all he wants, though. He's not a journalist. I'm not saying it's right, but the same standards shouldn't be expected of him as IGN.

elektrixx

Banned
And how do you quantify this in terms of the thing we're talking about, a video game? What exactly makes a game a tenth better than another similarly situated video game outside of "Well, the reviewer felt this score was justified because of... reasons."

Yeah, the mathematics of the problem is not being disputed here; the main dispute is what the difference even signifies in the context of an evaluation of a product outside of metacritic stuff, assuming there is even a difference.
The difference is explained on a per review basis within reviews themselves. Their opinions cannot be disputed.

marrec

Banned
I'm not disputing that fact, thats why i said its 50/50 a few posts ago, alot of people here seemed to focus on the 9/10 - 8.9 thing when thats pretty clear as day.

IGN are misrepresting joe saying 9/10 for their review when he didnt

and joes misrepresenting their preview as a review text.

both as bad as each other, well except one is a Man-child you tuber and the other is the Review editor for one of the worlds biggest gaming websites.

you do expect professionalism out of one of them...

It'd be refreshing though, if Joe would have handled it like anything other than an immature asshole. Dan would look like a complete twat if Joe had just explained what happened, apologized for misrepresenting the quote, and moved on.

Instead they're both rolling around on the floor twatting it up.

faridmon

I really like the fact that angry joe did made a blatant masking of his error of using a preview lines to imply it was a review, and mask that delibrate handling by arguing about the score and the decimals itself.

And i think that is job well done since most of people in this thread are actuallytalking about the score than the problem at large.

TyrantII

Bring back TRL!

Yes. In a business where most peoples goals are to get out of the low paying rag site jobs and into industry Brand management and customer relations for publishers... He was obviously joking.

Big joke guys. Pay not attention to it!

Kade

Is it any different than people going "lol gam jotnaliZm" in every thread?

King_Moc

Banned
Holy shit, I only just realised that the guy that did that ridiculous gushing preview about it being 'too much for his eyeballs to take' is the same guy that tried to get ms to employ him to host their e3 conference. He clearly has no objectivity whatsoever.

Top Bottom