• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe gets called out by IGNs review editor for misquoting their Titanfall review

I's 50/50 on this one, he didn't state the 9 came from IGN, he actually showed the review score on the video, the 9/10 he spoke of was just in a general rant he actually said

" Believe the Hype, 10/10, 9/10" as evidence major outlets were overhyping/scoring it, he even showed the IGN score of 8.9/10!

So the IGN editor is actually misrepresenting the 9/10 to try to add to his point. From the vidoe you could construe that the "believe the hype" quote was from the review, which it wasn't - it was from the sam ewriter tho, and if said writer said believe the hype then gave it 8.9/10 its not a crime to infer he agreed with his preview.

But on a further point i don't think its too bad that it points out that the guy who went into a preview saying "believe the hype" and then went on to review it gave it a "near- amazing" score.

with IGN you reap what you sow.

Jb

Angry Joe vs IGN? Not sure which poison I'd pick. IGN is about as reliable as fucking Metro for any editorial content but Angry Joe isn't exactly a very intelligent and mature reviewer either.

Man this guy is a moron. But that doesn't let Joe of the hook, either. He's a moron for fueling the fire; for fueling the fire to every business out there just so he can 'get the point across' or 'do a service for his viewers and the gaming world', so I don't support either of these idiots.

Glad to see where America is headed.

MechaX

IGN was absolutely correct that Joe did some misrepresentation (albeit, probably not intentional) with the preview quote issue.

Too bad the reviewer inexplicably picked the wrong battle by fighting over this 1-tenth score difference and made himself look just as bad.

I think that he decided that it was not worthy of a 9, but better than an 8.5.
A .1 makes a difference, a very small one, but a difference nonetheless.

I think the mystery question that most people want answered is exactly what that difference is.

SeanR1221

There's a couple of wrongs from both sides on this:

• Quoting preview commentary that does not represent the game's final judgement is misrepresentative.
  • 8.9 is essentially almost a 9. It's a very high score. Trying to argue otherwise is highly pedantic.
  • Angry Joe's constant namecalling and colourful insults during the whole Twitter exchange paints a terrible picture of him. He's the one that needs to grow up.

Another casualty of people acting dumb on Twitter for the whole world to see. Merrhh.

My thoughts exactly.

Daffy Duck

8.9 the cheque didn't clear.
9 cheque cleared.

I hate all this number crap for reviews, I don't even bother reading those sections of reviews any more, heck I have pretty much given up on reviews in general.

hal9001

Banned
Is this some sort of cross promotion media stunt? People seriously arguing over something as trivial as this is why gaming journalists are seen as the laughing stock of heir professional industry.

big_erk

...and this is why they should only use a 10 point scale if they have to give a numerical score. If they felt the game didn't deserve a 9, which seems to be the case, then give it an 8. Better yet ditch the numbers and just use the verbiage that they assign to the score ranges.

10.0 - MASTERPIECE
9.0-9.9 - AMAZING
8.0-8.9 - GREAT
7.0-7.9 - GOOD
6.0-6.9 - OKAY
5.0-5.9 - MEDIOCRE

and so on. Just drop the numbers already, especially the decimals.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Joe really shouldn't resort to namecalling shit flinging so quickly, but at the same time...a public outlet like twitter is not the place to really have discussions like that so I have no idea why the review editor even started this. Maybe one day people will start to think before they submit a tweet, but alas.

The Cowboy

That Angry Joe guy has no manners, at least reply back in a professional manner. He tells him to grow up then resorts to name calling.
This is a bit of a "really grinds my gears thing" for me, i really don't like it when someone tells someone to grow up then they immediately follow it up by being childish. If your telling someone to grow up, it really does help to act more mature than the person your telling to grow up.

TyrantII

IGN arguing over 0.1 point. Jesus Christ.

You almost see the editors sitting around a table and coming up with the justification that a 8.9 isn't really a 9.0, so all the BS hype they produced is fine. .01 is plenty of cover!

Lol, oh IGN.

MrBadger

So we have the IGN guy essentially saying "Actually we didn't give it a 9 we gave it an 8.9 get your facts straight" and then we have Angry Joe (in his review) criticising major outlets for not being harder on Titanfall, then saying he "doesn't care" and it's "irrelevant" when it's pointed out that IGN actually did criticise the campaign. And childishly namecalling. This entire debate is silly.

Vlodril

Godamn the fear the "real" journalist are displaying lately towards prominent youtubers/bloggers is so weird. I am not sure if there is a big drop on their sites or they just see guys like joe getting a million hits on their reviews but it's repulsive.

Do your jobs better , stop parroting whatever pr the companies hand out to you and maybe people will start taking you seriously again.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If companies have no confidence in their preview coverage what is it all even for?

stryke

believe7pk2h.png

If you wanna give your impressions, fine but don't start telling me what to do and/or what's best for me.

I felt like AJ had some sort of point but he kinda ruined it by resorting to insults.

Could someone for the love of all that is good in this world explain to me the difference between an 8.9 and a 9.0?

I don't think that's the point of IGN's issue. But a 9 is more than an 8.9.

It looks to me that IGN's point is that using two different articles - a preview hype piece, and an actual review - and then inferring that they are one, and share the same purpose and viewpoint is misleading and shady. Especially when as Joe put it, he was talking in general terms and not naming names but is actually doing so in a snarky way by throwing up a screenshot.

The thing is, Joe is not a journalist, he is a personality/commentator. He is free of the need to fact check, have an editor and such. Like us, he can use what ever is out there on the web to help shape his argument regardless of context.

I don't see anything wrong with him being called on it. Not sure why he allowed the discussion to devolve into name calling rather than address/own what his comedic intentions were.

Just my opinion.

def sim

The hundred point scale is not great and a difference of .1 is pretty silly, but it makes a difference to an audience out there. The hardcore crowd has people getting furious over a score of 8.8, even resulting in death threats being sent to the reviewer. Dan should take their review scale seriously if they're going to stick to it and Joe should have represented them correctly.

Yaari

I'd be more worried I ever over hyped a game as much as they did in that preview. What a way to jump on the bandwagon that was. All of those E3 awards are a joke as well.

Titanfall is alright. But those awards and previews like this one only show how little they mean.

And that guy is ridiculous.

Hollow

Man this guy is a moron. But that doesn't let Joe of the hook, either. He's a moron for fueling the fire; for fueling the fire to every business out there just so he can 'get the point across' or 'do a service for his viewers and the gaming world', so I don't support either of these idiots.

Glad to see where America is headed.

Because two immature babies arguing on the internet is an accurate representation for the current state of the US.

Painting with mighty broad strokes there.

ethomaz

Banned
Angry Joe made a good point in the reviews and criticized the overhype the media made over Titanfall (the game is rushed and incomplete to begin... and no offline play is a big cons that just put any review above 8 in check).

And Joe was clearly talking about outlets that did that... including IGN.

The IGN's reviewer editor was really a child and immature form my view but that IGN.

I mean if you watch the video you do get the impression he is saying that major outlets like IGN didn't criticise the game and blindly praise it. I think that is the important thing. And it is stupid, but on a 100 point scale the difference between a 8.9 and a 9.0 isn't just one point. That's a huge threshold jump especially when you know how serious certain people are about their scores. I think the obvious thing is that Angry Joe didn't read IGN's review and just used them because they are popular and their score pretty much fit his message.

I think Joe is in the wrong. I didn't read the whole twitter thing, too long, but he has always come off as an asshole even when he's not trying to be. That said the Titanfall preview from IGN was lame but, Ryan is looking for a MS job, but it's a preview its not the review, doesn't a lot of Titanfall criticism come from lack of content, which isn't something you would notice in a demo so it makes sense that the preview and review are different.

eot

Banned
The exchange makes them both look bad, but Stapleton started the whole thing by saying that Joe was "maliciously misquoting" IGN. If you have an issue with him rounding 8.9 to 9 that isn't the way to bring it up, starting the conversation like that there was only one way it could go.

SeanR1221

Seems like Dan is upset about Joe using an over the top quote from an IGN preview of Titanfall and implying it was from the review.

Yup, which I can't blame him. Joes making money off of misquoting him, and then name calling him afterwards.

Grimløck;108486702 said:
in that context, every decimal place matters.

5.9 will make her feel great but 6 will make her feel amazing.

Godamn the fear the "real" journalist are displaying lately towards prominent youtubers/bloggers is so weird. I am not sure if there is a big drop on their sites or they just see guys like joe getting a million hits on their reviews but it's repulsive.

Do your jobs better , stop parroting whatever pr the companies hand out to you and maybe people will start taking you seriously again.

Joke post?

Joohanh

It seems to me Angry Joe gets into arguments mostly with people who are roughly as bad as he is. It's a funny sensation to observe the dispute as you really don't want either of them get any sympathy.

Angry Joe is the definition of the term "man child"
It's pretty much as close as anyone can realistically get in practice.

Kiant

Yeah Joe did misquote but honestly that preview campaign by IGN was ridiculous. If you're excited for a game, I get it - but gushing like a fanboy with stuff like "sensory overload" just makes them look foolish.

Top Bottom