• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe gets called out by IGNs review editor for misquoting their Titanfall review

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Could we ask IGN to list down how the game was awarded overall points, in an extremely detailed bulletin points structure with points as low as 0.1's are assigned (to get 8.9)?

This way we can get to the bottom of why; that 8.9 is so much different from 9.0, to actually have two people fight it over unprofessionally in public over the internet.

And there is a bit of difference between both the parties,
.The IGN person, is representing IGN website (so being professional is mandatory, instead of fighting it)
.Angry Joe, is sort of not in the same domain as IGN (so it doesn't actually matter)

So a representative of IGN, discussing specifics about Angry Joe's show, puts IGN under the limelight;
.IGN being unprofessional
.IGN are trying to hid some kind of rap, by being neutral to both gamers and Titanfall's publisher by awarding a score close to 9 (but not a 9). So that IGN can use communication to manipulate at their leisure between two different parties with two different representation scale for the product IGN reviewed

Both parties take an L

1366604863039.gif

Hari Seldon

The problem with review sites like IGN is that they have to overhype because all of their money is based on game advertising. You can't spend all this time overhyping for money and then claim impartiality in the review at the end of the process. It WILL at least create the perception that this is creeping into the review and lead to zero credibility. The Youtube people make money from google ads which are at least not necessarily game ads.

Noaksey

Neo Member
I would like to see exactly how IGN Splits up there review grading

8.5 Good But not Quite there
8.6 Good But Getting almost There
8.7 Good but Getting There
8.8 Good can almost touch Awesome
8.9 Good touching on to awesome but just quite not a 9.. Nope NO way is this a 9

9.0 Awesome Well for no longer being 8.9

Maybe that guy was bored so wanted to get more views by poking Angry Joe?

Kade

Man this guy is a moron. But that doesn't let Joe of the hook, either. He's a moron for fueling the fire; for fueling the fire to every business out there just so he can 'get the point across' or 'do a service for his viewers and the gaming world', so I don't support either of these idiots.

Glad to see where America is headed.

If you genuinely believe that a shitty Twitter argument about video game review scores and the misuse of quotes is representative of the state of a country then you're probably an IQ bracket or two below the one these reviewers and YouTube personalities cater to.

jonno394

8.9 is a high 8, a game that is great and borders on amazing but has maybe one thing holding it back from being amazing. If this thing didnt exist then it would get a 9 and be an amazing game.

What's hard to understand?

Copenap

Oh boy, why did you remind me of that "preview", has to be one of the most pathetic things ever written in games coverage. Not even MS or EA pr could ever come up with such bullshit.

On topic, throwing in a 8.9 with 9s and 10s is absolutely ok, they are basically the same. In regards to talking about reviews but then quoting a preview I can kind of understand that the ign editor feels misrepresented but in the end it's something they wrote about that game and they deserve the shit.

Into

All this because of a 0.1 difference?

Apparently so, its difference between great and amazing, he is on record right there.

MechaX

Guess I'm the only one who agrees with Danny, regardless how dumb it is.

Eh, as bad as Joe comes across in this exchange, Dan comes across just as poorly when he jumps in out of the blue with a highly inflammatory, bait comment with absolutely zero context when Joe is talking about fucking Watch_Dogs.

Dan comes off looking like a complete dick. I mean 8.9 is essentially a 9 and that's how people will look at it. I don't see what Joe did wrong in his review

Normally I don't pile on ign but an 8.9 is basically a 9. Someone said they didn't want to appear too biased so instead of giving it a 9 they dropped it by .1. And really, what's the difference between a 8.9 and a 9?

Both the review and preview were covered by Ryan "I Bleed Dat Xbox Green" McCaffrey. They couldn't have avoided the bias if they tried.

8.9 is a high 8, a game that is great and borders on amazing but has maybe one thing holding it back from being amazing. If this thing didnt exist then it would get a 9 and be an amazing game.

What's hard to understand?

whats next? A high 8.9
8.89? The whole number system is stupid in the first place.

Laieon

Coincidence?

To be fair, that's not exactly an accurate representation. I'd be willing to bet that more people go to the actual IGN page (where they have their own media player) and view/read reviews there then search for IGNs version on youtube.

I think Joe (who I've never really liked) and the IGN guy were both pretty immature here. IGN guy justified his review, even if his scoring system is stupid, and Joe still wouldn't admit that at the end of the day, an 8.9 isn't the same as a 9 for the IGN guy.

MrBadger

Guess I'm the only one who agrees with Danny, regardless how dumb it is.

I'm siding with him more, because the point of the debate is that Joe misrepresented IGN in his review, refused to admit he made a mistake, then started childishly name calling. But IGN did say "BELIEVE THE HYPE" and arguing the difference between 8.9 and 9.0 is very trivial.

Kysen

To be fair, that's not exactly an accurate representation. I'd be willing to bet that more people go to the actual IGN page (where they have their own media player) and view/read reviews there then search for IGNs version on youtube.

Its more that a significant number of people saw his 'misrepresented' comment.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Angry Joe really comes across as a class A moron in this exchange.

Yeah that's my impression as well. I haven't got much respect for people who make a living out of critiquing others who can't admit when they got it wrong, even if it's just 0.1, display your integrity and do the right thing.

And to be honest I'm sure EAs marketing department thought that 0.1 was a pretty big deal, which probably means it affects sales to some markets, for Joe to pretend that he doesn't understand that is just silly.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
The hundred point scale is not great and a difference of .1 is pretty silly, but it makes a difference to an audience out there. The hardcore crowd has people getting furious over a score of 8.8, even resulting in death threats being sent to the reviewer. Dan should take their review scale seriously if they're going to stick to it and Joe should have represented them correctly.

I imagine it matters to Stapleton too - as a reviews editor he's probably more concerned with the precise score than a casual reader will be.

I do think Titanfall was overhyped, but I guess readers were interested in it and gathered clicks. It's all business, after all.

BibiMaghoo

His concern is clearly over the implication made, rather than specifically calling out. He sees that implication as the same things, which it clearly is not.

I can understand getting pissy about that, but the 0.1 difference is hysterical to argue over. That is a meaningless difference. Shame AJ was throwing out names though, that didn't need to happen, but then again it is not like he is beholden to a big corporation, and so can pretty much do what he want, where as the IGN guy not so much.

It's like taking a rifle to a fight where the other dude can only use a stick. A bit unfair.

mclem

The main thing to take from that that is how much 8.9 is different from 9 in the IGN perception. And I believe they are being sincere. Go to 8.9 instead of of 9 must be a hell of internal fight.

I suspect it's similar to the notion of pricing something as $9.99 rather than $10 - it feels much lower when in fact it isn't really. Since we're dealing with how something subjective is percieved, I do think IGN guy does have a point.

Independent of the quibbling over 0.1: I would agree that Joe did present things in a way that implied IGN said something they did not in their review. I'd be inclined to agree that it's a minor inaccuracy, but it's still an inaccuracy, and that's unprofessional. Do it right.

elektrixx

Banned
Angry Joe is wrong. It should be adjusted to not misrepresent IGN.

As for the score increments, at least IGN has the balls to attempt to give the most precise score. If IGN's review score increments are meaningless, does that make Giant Bomb's five score options a cop out?

If you want to know what the difference is between 8.9 and 9, get out your calculator. The answer is a matter of fact that cannot be disputed.

Into

Comes across as Stapleton not agreeing with Joe, which believe me, is a stance i and many here take often, then being angry that Joe presented him and IGN in a negative light, but instead of arguing his point, he took to Twitter and latched on to a 0.1 difference in score to "prove" Joe wrong.

Its being obtuse

E92 M3

Dan guy is pretty starting an unneeded argument, but Joe is acting like a child with the name calling. Made me lose some respect for him.

ReaperXL7

I bet the guy from IGN was fighting this battle on his brand new Nexus. You know what they say, you can't spell ignorant without IGN.

watershed

Banned
There's a couple of wrongs from both sides on this:

• Quoting preview commentary that does not represent the game's final judgement is misrepresentative.
  • 8.9 is essentially almost a 9. It's a very high score. Trying to argue otherwise is highly pedantic.
  • Angry Joe's constant namecalling and colourful insults during the whole Twitter exchange paints a terrible picture of him. He's the one that needs to grow up.

Another casualty of people acting dumb on Twitter for the whole world to see. Merrhh.

I agree with this post. The score difference is overblown but using a quote from a preview and misrepresenting it as a quote from a review is a dumb thing to do.

Top Bottom