• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe UC4 Review

Ploid 3.0

He said he's a new comer to the series, is this his first UC?

Yep, there were so many parts in the game that meant nothing to him. It was interesting seeing someone who was new to the franchise play it. That start was made even slower because of it. It almost seemed like he was on the brink of shutting the game down and doing something else (that location he mentioned that was boring). Then things ramped up after that location, and he was all smiles and giggles.

He was more interested in the fighting, and action set pieces. He wasn't prepared for the story parts, he wasn't invested into the characters. Maybe later he started to understand them.

v1ncelis

Not a fan of his new review format. I understand that he has hands full of new game releases and is busy man himself but those new reviews are nowhere near to Angry reviews when it comes to quality. Angry reviews are what make his channel to stand up from others.

chozen

Well, I think that your "criticism" underrates the whole package on display. It's an advancement on pretty much everything in the series with very large variety in settings and gameplay to match. It's got good replay value in the ability to skip to any combat section in the game. The game feel is extremely solid, which is impressive given the level of animation quality and blending.

Writing Wise, it pulls a nice set of foils in Sam and Rafe to Drake and the life he tried to leave behind. I think that some elements such as involving the mafia without consequence is problematic overall and the fact that Nathan doesn't really have any consequence for his return to thievery are weakpoints in the narrative. Some characters like Nadine are Underutilized. I enjoy that the story's treasure Mcguffin went for Human Greed rather than trending on the supernatural element as it kept expectations fresh. Thematically, it's nothing I haven't seen before in the vein of treasure stories, but it's a well told tale overall, albeit not a perfect one. (But what is perfect?)

Multiplayer Wise, It's a good game at its core but I still prefer the arena style of Uncharted 2 though a classic mode could work well here and I hope for its implementation in the future.

It's got a nearly flawless presentation however and that deserves commendation. Almost every part of the game looks right.

Right, I didnt even give the game a rating and as you said, it isn't perfect.

If I had said it should get an 8 how many people here would freak out.

8 is a GREAT SCORE, WHAT?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Excellent review, joe. Joe is always awesome

I would have recommended he go back and play the original 3 before hand however

manfestival

It's clearly bait but do we need 50 people running a human centipede on this dude? It's far more annoying than reading his stupid posts. I guess this is just the one thing on gaf that annoys me.

It's clearly bait but do we need 50 people running a human centipede on this dude? It's far more annoying than reading his stupid posts. I guess this is just the one thing on gaf that annoys me.
Look man, I'm just a little upset that I tried to catch all the bait and troll posts from the beginning, and someone wouldn't cooperate.

HMD

First gen Joe owned a PlayStation so he probably just recently played all of them

Could be.

He didn't have a PS3 and I don't recall him playing the collection so I believe this was his first Uncharted. Wonder how/if his thoughts would change if he had played the first 3.

Yeah, I thought so too. His Sam criticism could have been different if he would have played the previous UCs perhaps, because as much as I didn't enjoy Sam as a character, I thought his set up was exceptionally well done considering what they had to work with.

Yep, there were so many parts in the game that meant nothing to him. It was interesting seeing someone who was new to the franchise play it. That start was made even slower because of it. It almost seemed like he was on the brink of shutting the game down and doing something else (that location he mentioned that was boring). Then things ramped up after that location, and he was all smiles and giggles.

He was more interested in the fighting, and action set pieces. He wasn't prepared for the story parts, he wasn't invested into the characters. Maybe later he started to understand them.

Yeah he barely mentions Elena which is understandable considering how annoying she was in UC4 when compared to her much more awesome self in previous Uncharted's.

The gaf troll train on chozen is a little out control. Can yall calm down and leave the man alone?

Give the man a little credit.

He may be the first person on neogaf to shed light on the important fact that review scores of games depend on how much reviewers are in fear of backlash from fanboys. That completely explains how an utter shit game could end up with a 93 Metacritc. I can't believe we were so blind to this all along. But I do feel bad for that Washington Post guy who had to move to Thailand and get plastic surgery to change his appearance for his own safety.

Right, I didnt even give the game a rating and as you said, it isn't perfect.

If I had said it should get an 8 how many people here would freak out.

8 is a GREAT SCORE, WHAT?

Well it's all about phrasing, your words position your potential "audience" as an enemy and thus comes across as accusatory. This is why the score part is irrelevant to your criticisms and why most people are not going to pay attention to your opinions in a fair light. Because you've acted aggressive towards them.

chozen

Well it's all about phrasing, your words position your potential "audience" as an enemy and thus comes across as accusatory. This is why the score part is irrelevant to your criticisms and why most people are not going to pay attention to your opinions in a fair light. Because you've acted aggressive towards them.

You might think it came off aggressively, but you can never tell a persons tone off the internet.

Also, who is the audience really? Can you really deny the fact that if someone said something even slightly wrong about the game they get some hate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIjQCu8y2EE Whats with the dislike bar here?

Lady gave it a fine 8.8 before hand, and a 9.0 at the end still, STILL she got hit hard with dislikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cXyQg_5uoc

This is clearly not the forum to have an opinion on this game.

12 Hours for 60$. Climbing for 9 hours, 3 hours of Slow walking, puzzles, or the occasional gunfight with AI dummies.

Good graphics for sure, but the writing? or the story? Hes right about Sam dude was injected as a plot device to make the 4th and Amy Henigs story was scrapped.
Most of you are probably only mesmerized by the facial animation to realize how average the story is. Nadine walks out of the plot and Rafe is a spoiled brat.

But it seems if someone has a bad opinion on this game they get bombarded with death threats and hate. So my bad 10/10 Goty every year.
I'll dissect this one by one as someone who thinks the game is great.

- you forgot about the mp which adds value, also deals and trade-ins
- pacing was a bit boring but it also felt really adventurey and I liked it
- so what if Sam was made up for the 4th? It was well written and the twist surrounding him was a better plot thread than anything in the previous games
- Nadine doesn't walk out of the plot, she walks out of the hunt because she came to her senses
- Rafe being a spoiled brat is part of his villainous charm
- not gonna touch the last part

The story at least is miles ahead of the previous 3 which were paper thin and/or left a ton of unresolved plot threads (you wanna talk about Nadine being unfinished, wtf about Talbot and teleportation and all that in 3?)

You might think it came off aggressively, but you can never tell a persons tone off the internet.

Also, who is the audience really? Can you really deny the fact that if someone said something even slightly wrong about the game they get some hate?

I do not deny that issue. I do think that it is an issue that quite a few people can't handle criticism at launch of their anticipated games. Which is usually why we wait a little while after the dust has settled to examine issues and critique clearly with more level headed people.

Also, while sarcasm is very difficult to tell on the internet, many other tones can be conveyed through writing alone. Writing is a medium and like other media, it induces emotions, especially on the internet.

chozen

I do not deny that issue. I do think that it is an issue that quite a few people can't handle criticism at launch of their anticipated games. Which is usually why we wait a little while after the dust has settled to examine issues and critique clearly with more level headed people.

Also, while sarcasm is very difficult to tell on the internet, many other tones can be conveyed through writing alone. Writing is a medium and like other media, it induces emotions, especially on the internet.

You prolly right, I should have waited.

You prolly right, I should have waited.
You can state your opinon without coming across as being condescending. Here's What you originally wrote, bolded parts are where you come off as being aggressive:
12 Hours for 60$. Climbing for 9 hours, 3 hours of Slow walking, puzzles, or the occasional gunfight with AI dummies.

Good graphics for sure, but the writing? or the story? Hes right about Sam dude was injected as a plot device to make the 4th and Amy Henigs story was scrapped.
Most of you are probably only mesmerized by the facial animation to realize how average the story is. Nadine walks out of the plot and Rafe is a spoiled brat.

But it seems if someone has a bad opinion on this game they get bombarded with death threats and hate. So my bad 10/10 Goty every year.

I rephrased it to better conduce discussion and differing opinions
The game is 12 hours long but I felt most of that was spent slow walking and doing puzzles instead of spending the time fighting which I liked. Also felt the AI was a step down.

I felt they put facial capture above the quality of the writing this time. Nadine walks out of the plot and Rafe is a spoiled brat.

But it seems if someone has a bad opinion on this game they get bombarded with death threats and hate.
changes in italics, removed the most egregious parts :)

Seems like you are upset other people got to enjoy the game a lot more than you.

His reaction to one of the best scenes in the game
attic
makes me question his "reviewing capacity". One of the best moments in UC4.

Yeah he barely mentions Elena which is understandable considering how annoying she was in UC4 when compared to her much more awesome self in previous Uncharted's.

Why are videogame characters considered annoying when they behave like actual human beings instead of kissing the main character's ass ?

UC 4 Elena is the most layered, complex and interesting characted in the entire franchise IMO.

@MaybeBurger : He didn't play the previous games so it's completely understandable that this particular scene would not resonate with him.

chozen

You can state your opinon without coming across as being condescending. Here's What you originally wrote, bolded parts are where you come off as being aggressive:I rephrased it to better conduce discussion and differing opinions
changes in italics, removed the most egregious parts :)

Though this is nice of you to edit, I still say I would have been attacked.

Sorry to link this Cr1tikal video but hes right. Mostly this threads reaction to my opinion in a nutshell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXaXz-0fWkI

BFIB

I was really looking forward to the in depth review. 13 min and the highlights are dissapointing, but he stated before he's overloaded this month and needs to get the clicks while the game is new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIjQCu8y2EE Whats with the dislike bar here?

Lady gave it a fine 8.8 before hand, and a 9.0 at the end still, STILL she got hit hard with dislikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cXyQg_5uoc

This is clearly not the forum to have an opinion on this game.
It's not like this is a problem special to Uncharted.

Check out Doom's dislike bar: https://youtu.be/NH4uwzLU-qw

The Division's isn't as bad, but it's also bad: https://youtu.be/v17Eprc9WGo

Welcome to video game coverage on the internet.

Alo0oy

Banned
I agree about Sam too, he sucks, I'd rather they spent all that time on Elena or Sully. Or even Chloe and Cutter, Sam was a useless last minute addition, and the retcons it introduced were terrible.

How drunk are you =O
Not at all! Fuck that shit. Alcohol is corrupting my soul.

I pretty much started doing that shit once I got this job but at this point I just don't do it. Only when I feel pressured. But I try to acod it as much as I can even though it can get awkward. 2 reasons:

1. It's a social thing to do.
2. I gotta get fucked up somehow, and this is the only legal way to do it.
i can't smoke the good stuff in peace.
Bleh.
That's the real me! When I'm fucked up, that's the real me...yeah.
That other game is hard to top, especially compared to a colorful, at times funny, present day, "my only problem is getting home in time for lunch" Uncharted.

The thing ND comes up with next may have a chance though. Uncharted was always going to be Uncharted.

Not saying that I think the other game is better, but I can see why it may not be for people. Moody vs lighthearted, always dangerous, vs cracking wise while swinging in the sun.
I don't think it's just tones that make it hard to top. Although I do feel that Uc4 had a darker and more mature tone than the rest of its series, but I appreciated that.

It's just parts of the story in general that just make it not as good. And it's NOT because the other game's story is more compelling. It's the characters - uncharted has enough great characters that they can make great stories even if they don't carry as much integrity as even more story heavy games. Meh, under the influence I'm not doing a great job explaining but I hope you got my point.

Edit: and I'm not saying Uc4 lacks integrity or isn't compelling - I'm just saying for its story, you know, action adventure treasure hunting, those things aren't its strongsuit. Its strongsuit is its characters.

How come the run time and presentation of the video differs so much from his usual stuff?

New review format. It allows him to cover more games on busy months like this May.

I think it's a good idea.

Edit : His "normal" reviews are supposed to stay, it'll just depend on the games.

Joe didn't play the first 3 first? That's a incredibly stupid thing to do for this game.

Glad he loved it though, although I disagreed with some of his points.

Joe didn't play the first 3 first? That's a incredibly stupid thing to do for this game.

Glad he loved it though, although I disagreed with some of his points.
I think he should have finished the UC remasters, but it does means that he has an interesting perspective in this case since this entry might be the jumping on point for other people too.

Jito

Banned
Glad to see he enjoyed it but his complaints about story sections as new comer to the series are grating. Obviously it'll be lost on you if you're starting with the 4th game.

"I don't want a new life, I want Uncharted 4!"

Groan.

On the contrary, I think the game is not that great, I see he fell for the hype, I like his reviews but when he is predisposed to hate a game he is embarrassing.

Or how about he genuinely loved the game like the vast majority of critics and gamers alike?
It's always weird to see the lengths some people go to belittle others enjoyment of an entertainment product just because said product disappointed them.

Though this is nice of you to edit, I still say I would have been attacked.

Sorry to link this Cr1tikal video but hes right. Mostly this threads reaction to my opinion in a nutshell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXaXz-0fWkI

And you should be sorry giving clicks to some internet wannabe professor! What is this shit even?!? The Uncharted effect?!?

I'm ok with your opinion on the game, no matter what is! But as many have pointed one thing is to post a well build criticism and another thing is whatever you call your posts in this thread!

Your opinion, the way you have presented is a form of an isult to people who enjoyed the game! And you think it's ok, just because you did not enjoy the game!

@MaybeBurger : He didn't play the previous games so it's completely understandable that this particular scene would not resonate with him.

right.

Its hard to take the reviews/character note observation seriously then.

its a +ve review. Not gonna quibble with it but its odd listening to a review talk about the game/characters who really has no idea.

I think he should have finished the UC remasters, but it does means that he has an interesting perspective in this case since this entry might be the jumping on point for other people too.

Oh it definitely is, and I would be curious to see what people who jumped in with 4 think. I just think that for enjoying the game, it would be an incredibly dumb thing to do if you have the chance to play the others first. He missed a ton of nods and references to the first game than.

I think it's kinda BS how he said the game wasn't a tearjerker at all, well maybe if he played the other games he would have been more emotionally invested in it, like I'm sure Naughty Dog intended.

Oh it definitely is, and I would be curious to see what people who jumped in with 4 think. I just think that for enjoying the game, it would be an incredibly dumb thing to do if you have the chance to play the others first. He missed a ton of nods and references to the first game than.

I think it's kinda BS how he said the game wasn't a tearjerker at all, well maybe if he played the other games he would have been more emotionally invested in it, like I'm sure Naughty Dog intended.

One of the core strengths of the game aside of the gameplay is the character nods and the emotional investment you have in them. Its funny he mentions TLOU but say if he played TLOU4 and didnt play the previous 3, of course the emotional notes wont hit home as hard.

Bit clueless really

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
On the contrary, I think the game is not that great, I see he fell for the hype, I like his reviews but when he is predisposed to hate a game he is embarrassing.

I see, it's not that you have different tastes, it's that you're right, it's not great, and Joe was influenced by hype.

No it isn't. First off, every uncharted game is a standalone title. I myself started at 2. Didn't feel like I needed to play the first.

Second of all, there is never an absolute need to experience an installment of a franchise without experiencing previous installments. Of course yes even though it's not necessary it'll give you more exposure. I saw Star Wars 7, it was the first one I ever saw and it was a great movie but I didn't feel like I had to see the others.

Top Bottom