• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe UC4 Review

right.

Its hard to take the reviews/character note observation seriously then.

Why ? It's just the obvervations of someone who played his first Uncharted game. There are other people like him out there.

It's an interesting perspective in this case, I don't know if there's even a single example of another reviewer whose first UC game was the fourth.

Honestly the fact that he gave it a 9 and this is his first one says a lot about the quality of the game. If I was a developer I'd take it as a massive compliment

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Remember Joe never owned a PS3 so he missed a ton of good exclusives last gen and has no fond memories like some here of the previous games in their respective franchises. He could have played the collection but I assume he didn't have enough time. He should really let Other Joe start doing his own reviews in addition to his own, especially when there are moments during his stream where he just leaves Other Joe to play a whole section of a game by himself.

No it isn't. First off, every uncharted game is a standalone title. I myself started at 2. Didn't feel like I needed to play the first.

Second of all, there is never an absolute need to experience an installment of a franchise without experiencing previous installments. Of course yes even though it's not necessary it'll give you more exposure. I saw Star Wars 7, it was the first one I ever saw and it was a great movie but I didn't feel like I had to see the others.

I don't think anyone should need to play / watch previous installments in a franchise to enjoy it, in face I think it's paramount that newcomers can jump in at any point. With that said, I do think it worsens the experience quite a bit, especially with this game where it is clear that it was built for longtime fans first and foremost. I think his points still stand regardless, but having a complaint about the emotional part of the story in an extremely story based franchise comes off as a little strange to me.

And I don't think the Star Wars example works great with this, that was much more standalone than UC4 is.

No it isn't. First off, every uncharted game is a standalone title. I myself started at 2. Didn't feel like I needed to play the first.

Second of all, there is never an absolute need to experience an installment of a franchise without experiencing previous installments. Of course yes even though it's not necessary it'll give you more exposure. I saw Star Wars 7, it was the first one I ever saw and it was a great movie but I didn't feel like I had to see the others.

well SW7 is beat for beat like SW1. its a better film if you've seen the OG series.

Ploid 3.0

Remember Joe never owned a PS3 so he missed a ton of good exclusives last gen and has no fond memories like some here of the previous games in their respective franchises. He could have played the collection but I assume he didn't have enough time. He should really let Other Joe start doing his own reviews in addition to his own, especially when there are moments during his stream where he just leaves Other Joe to play a whole section of a game by himself.

Yeah it seemed Other Joe was liking the early story stuff.

AJ "Why am I supposed to care for this guy?"

OJ "They're talking about his importance right now, calm down."

(Not actual quotes)

AJ was itching to see what the big deal of Uncharted was, and the entertaining set pieces were spread out a bit at the start, so he was getting pissed at the story stuff slowing things down.

some of his observations about the game is also pretty amusing - "haha this rag dolling is funny". Welcome to a couple games ago.

I don't think anyone should need to play / watch previous installments in a franchise to enjoy it, in face I think it's paramount that newcomers can jump in at any point. With that said, I do think it worsens the experience quite a bit, especially with this game where it is clear that it was built for longtime fans first and foremost. I think his points still stand regardless, but having a complaint about the emotional part of the story in an extremely story based franchise comes off as a little strange to me.

And I don't think the Star Wars example works great with this, that was much more standalone than UC4 is.

well SW7 is beat for beat like SW1. its a better film if you've seen the OG series.

That was just the first example that came to mind. I coulda thought of so many more but that ain't the point.

But yeah, another great thing I liked about Uc4's presentation was that it was so welcoming to newcomers. I liked that a lot, as someone who played 2/3 and a lil bit of 1 and golden abyss.

Ploid 3.0

"Best adventure game ever"

"Masterpiece"

9/10.

I mean, really, why bother giving out scores.

He found flaws with it, such as the slow start of the action for him. The puzzle, climbing filled early location, and no co op in the main story (heh).

Anyway a Angry Joe 9 isn't a game journalist standard 9. It's a pretty impressive score.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Joe didn't play the first 3 first? That's a incredibly stupid thing to do for this game.

Glad he loved it though, although I disagreed with some of his points.

I think it's telling to how great the game is if he didn't play 1-3 and still managed to give it a 9 out of 10 and loved it regardless.

Slaythe

What's funny, is that many things he hated from quantum break are "fixed" in UC4.

Glad he enjoyed it. It's exactly an Indiana jones in video game form and not a mindless cover shooter.

Loved the game too.

I think it's telling to how great the game is if he didn't play 1-3 and still managed to give it a 9 out of 10 and loved it regardless.

Definitely.

I don't think the game is perfect by any means, but I think it's really telling of the game's quality when (almost) everyone both fans new and old seem to be loving it.

I think the story bit would have been much better for AJ if he had played UC2 or UC3

He's asking for more sully when we had plenty of him already and while he's awesome it make sense that they focused on someone else this time.

LiK

I think the story bit would have been much better for AJ if he had played UC2 or UC3

He's asking for more sully when we had plenty of him already and while he's awesome it make sense that they focused on someone else this time.

happy Joe said he'll check out the remastered collection. he might actually like them more cuz there's a lot more shooting.

Alo0oy

Banned

No, it still made no sense why the game focused on an entirely new character, a boring one at that, Sam was the worst part of Uncharted 4, I can't tell you how relieved I was after he got kidnapped and we started having more Elena and Sully. That's why the first half was godawful to me.

EDIT: The second half actually saved the game for me, it went from one of the most disappointing games ever to the runner up for GOTY.

Who?

Why does Joe get his own thread?

Why does he command so much attention?

How can Joe have enough clout to warrant his own thread?

This guy's angry schtick is the worst.

I don't care what Joe thought, I loved/hated it.

Why do people care so much about what one person thinks? All that matters is if you like it.

This means he think it's as good a game as [insert game I hate here]. That's bullshit.

There, rest easy ladies and gents, no need for more stupid posts. I just condensed them all down into one for you.

orthodoxy1095, stop taking their jobs! The trolls need work too :(

happy Joe said he'll check out the remastered collection. he might actually like them more cuz there's a lot more shooting.
I wouldn't be surprised, at least on a gameplay level.

If all the Uncharteds had the graphics and combat mechanics as Uncharted 4 or could somehow be completely remade in that engine, UC4 would be my third favorite in the series.

Very cool to see how much Joe enjoyed this though. On many levels it is a masterpiece.

Who?

Why does Joe get his own thread?

Why does he command so much attention?

How can Joe have enough clout to warrant his own thread?

This guy's angry schtick is the worst.

I don't care what Joe thought, I loved/hated it.

Why do people care so much about what one person thinks? All that matters is if you like it.

This means he think it's as good a game as [insert game I hate here]. That's bullshit.

There, rest easy ladies and gents, no need for more stupid posts. I just condensed them all down into one for you.

Aww man, these are all the reasons I click on AJ neogaf threads. Lol

"Best adventure game ever"

"Masterpiece"

9/10.

I mean, really, why bother giving out scores.

People are really complaining about someone giving a game a 9\10 score. Did that bring down the metacritic or something?

Wow.

After watching this review, I actually think I might get the game. That's how good he made it seem. But sure, dwell on that 9\10.

Zolbrod

Is it?

He's a newcomer, so everything's new to him, which may make things seem better than they are.
If he'd played the first 3, he might have scored this game lower because so much of the series is rinse-and-repeat. Still the same old combat, still the same old platforming.

What I found the most interesting about this video is that he calls out the game for not doing some things as well as the new Tomb Raider games, which to him was a minor issue, but to others might be more significant.

My issue with the series is that it seems to be content with mediocre gameplay mechanics, and when it does try something new, it either introduces mechanics that have been around in other games for years (the stealth in UC4 is much improved, but only because it FINALLY introduces basic stealth mechanics that actual stealth games have had for eons now), or it introduces some watered down mechanic of another franchise, like the pickax from TR.

At the end of the day, it's going to come down to what you value most in a game.
If great graphics, expertly directed cutscenes, and explosive setpieces are enough for you, then this game is great.
If you think that kind of thing is secondary to solid gameplay mechanics and pacing, then this game is average at best, and pretty bad at worst.

I'm not saying either way of looking at the game is the right or wrong one. I'm just saying it would be nice if people could accept that other people may value different things in games.

I would have liked a full review but this one is solid nonetheless. Good points all round and I think his score was on point for the system he uses.

Joe does good work.

People are really complaining about someone giving a game a 9\10 score. Did that bring down the metacritic or something?

Wow.

After watching this review, I actually think I might get the game. That's how good he made it seem. But sure, dwell on that 9\10.

I think he's talking more about the idea of assigning scores to games in reviews rather than the actual score Joe gave the game.

I think he's talking more about the idea of assigning scores to games in reviews rather than the actual score Joe gave the game.

Hmmm. My impression was that the guy wanted Joe to give it a 10\10. But I suppose I read that wrong.

Either way, it's a glowing review and the score reflects that so I don't really see what the problem is. As much as we don't like scores, they aren't going anywhere any time soon.

JBwB

A 9/10 is really impressive considering he hasn't played the previous games.

I think if he had played them he would have definitely given Uncharted 4 a 10/10.

It's a really good score regardless!

I'm glad he enjoyed it given that he hasn't played the first three.

I thought that would be the case with newcomers coming into 4 but it's really hard to judge as someone whose played the original 3 a bunch of times.

You might think it came off aggressively, but you can never tell a persons tone off the internet.

Also, who is the audience really? Can you really deny the fact that if someone said something even slightly wrong about the game they get some hate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIjQCu8y2EE Whats with the dislike bar here?

Lady gave it a fine 8.8 before hand, and a 9.0 at the end still, STILL she got hit hard with dislikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cXyQg_5uoc

This is clearly not the forum to have an opinion on this game.
And how is youtube the measurement for GAF now?
Are you going to complain about the GAF hivemind?
You give a little meltdown of pretentiousness in criticizing a video game and try to play the victim for getting mobbed?
Have you visited other threads where fans talk about the pacing and don't get mobbed because they can properly convey their opinions? (Which I thought was fine...)

I think the game's more of a 7.5 or an 8 single player wise, but wow you are one condescending poster.

So in short:
Gr8 b8 m8.

CHC

I'm glad he liked the game but it's just kind of puzzling to me why he didn't play the others first. Even if he didn't have a PS3 he could have gone through the collection on PS4 fairly easily. Given how much time he puts into his reviews it seems weird he wouldn't just do the ~30 hours of "research" and play the games.

Like I said I'm glad he liked it, just seems kind of weird to review the game out of context like this when its not a reboot or anything that is explicitly detached from the previous games.

prwxv3

I know some are dissapointed that there is not enough action in UC4 (I think it had the perfect balance personaly) and that is fine. But I am not a fan of the huge exaggerating going on from some people. Like how is there only a couple hours of combat when on average you kill around 500 hundred enemies (on moderate difficulty)

RexNovis

Banned
You might think it came off aggressively, but you can never tell a persons tone off the internet.

Also, who is the audience really? Can you really deny the fact that if someone said something even slightly wrong about the game they get some hate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIjQCu8y2EE Whats with the dislike bar here?

Lady gave it a fine 8.8 before hand, and a 9.0 at the end still, STILL she got hit hard with dislikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cXyQg_5uoc

This is clearly not the forum to have an opinion on this game.

I've made my feelings on UC4 known multiple times (I didnt like it either) but I did so without hyperbole and intentionally inciteful rhetoric. If you are going to antagonize people by saying things like "but you all are going to jump on me so I'll just say 10/10 goty" or spout hyperbolic BS like "12 Hours for 60$. Climbing for 9 hours, 3 hours of Slow walking, puzzles, or the occasional gunfight with AI dummies.", "Most of you are probably only mesmerized by the facial animation to realize how average the story is." and "But it seems if someone has a bad opinion on this game they get bombarded with death threats and hate. So my bad 10/10 Goty every year." of course people aare gonna react and call you out on it. Your rhetoric and choice of wording basically begged for it to happen.

Again I am proof that one can have a dissenting opinion about the game and not get lambasted. The difference is I dont scream nani nani boo boo look at you fan boys when I state my opinion.

TLDR: Be more insightful than inciting and you wouldnt get the reaction you are getting.

Kalentan

On the part with the Microtranscations... Does he not know all the DLC for the MP will be free? And that everything you can buy with money can be earned in game? Also unlike other games that have "loot chests", you can't get repeats as far as I know.

No, it still made no sense why the game focused on an entirely new character, a boring one at that, Sam was the worst part of Uncharted 4, I can't tell you how relieved I was after he got kidnapped and we started having more Elena and Sully. That's why the first half was godawful to me.

EDIT: The second half actually saved the game for me, it went from one of the most disappointing games ever to the runner up for GOTY.

the game focused on a new character because that was what the plot needed. you find him boring, i find him awesome.

Alo0oy

Banned
the game focused on a new character because that was what the plot needed. you find him boring, i find him awesome.

My point was that long time fans of the series feel that way too, and it's a very popular opinion amongst Uncharted fans, Sam was very weak compared to Elena and Sully.

The game is 12 hours long but I felt most of that was spent slow walking and doing puzzles instead and the AI your average dummy.
Good graphics for sure, but the writing? or the story? Hes right about Sam dude was injected as a plot device to make the 4th and Amy Henigs story was scrapped.
Most of you are probably only mesmerized by the facial animation (I was) to realize how average the story is. Nadine walks out of the plot and Rafe is a spoiled brat.
But it seems if someone has a bad opinion on this game they get bombarded with death threats and hate.
No death threats or hate, We just think you're full of shit.

Anyway, I had to use auto aiming on this because I could not shoot for shit, shooting was utter fucking dog shit, then I noticed I had it on cinema mode and not game :( fucking lag, why are new tvs total shite?

Multiplayer is damn fine fun as well.

barit

Sad that it's not a full review. You can feel he must have rushed it. One point I can't agree is the MP. It's not unnecessary and the criticism against microtransaction is unwarranted when you can unlock everything without paying a cent. All maps and modes in the future are free how can this be a bad thing? You don't have to buy Uncharted 4 points. It's for all those who WANT to spend more money so they can unlock cosmetics instant. This is how games are made these days. You can like it or not but of all DLC strategies UC4 is one of the more balanced and consumer-friendly out there. Obviously he didn't saw the roadmap for the DLC nor has he put enough time in the MP but that's okay.

And yeah the TR point with useless XP and craft grinding is something I don't agree too. ND clearly aims at something else and the motivation to explore is not "you become stronger and even more bad-ass cuz you unlock tons of stuff" as it's the story and characters that pushes you further. Sometimes players should just accept what the game is and tries to do than to add things just because they think it would benefit it. Game is already over 12h playtime without these fillers.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Review of the fourth game of a cinematic story heavy series without playing the previous games?!

I'm sorry but this is probably the last review I would watch if want to buy or pass the game.

Fliesen

????

Are you one of those guys who would leave him if he gave it a 7 instead of a 9?

well, to be fair, if you're someone who's all "Uncharted 4 is everything i love about video games, and by far the best game this generation, if not this decade, for me" then Joe rating it a 6 or a 7 wouldn't mean that Joe is wrong, but serve as an indicator that he's another kind of player / has dramatically different taste than you.

Using a game like Uncharted as a benchmark for whether or not you're on one wavelength with a youtube reviewer - i don't see the HUGE issue with that.
I subscribed to Karak after the Far Cry Primal review that 100% overlapped with how i thought about the game, which means i'd trust him to judge games that i do not own yet in a way similar to how i'd judge them.

Top Bottom