• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Tim-E

brandonh83 said:
:lol

And not even the senile, sewer sludge attitude of the AVGN can find any wrong with the Ducktales NES game. :D

:D I think that game's wonderful. As a matter of fact, I'm going to play it right now.
You win.

Bloodwake

brandonh83 said:
:lol

And not even the senile, sewer sludge attitude of the AVGN can find any wrong with the Ducktales NES game. :D

So far, he's hit right on the money with most of his reviews.

Even with Castlevania II, he had some good points, and that game isn't THAT bad.

Tim-E said:
:D I think that game's wonderful. As a matter of fact, I'm going to play it right now.
You win.

Moon level music <3

Bloodwake said:
So far, he's hit right on the money with most of his reviews.

Even with Castlevania II, he had some good points, and that game isn't THAT bad.

Oh I don't really disagree with what he says but even HE said in an interview that he's like that mainly for the entertainment aspect, but that what he says isn't totally unfounded.

Was the Atari 5200 and the controller really as shitty as he says it is? What were they thinking?

Oh, and why wouldn't that controller he bought work even though it said it was for the 5200?

This guy is so annoying. And stupid. The games do suck, but the "insults" are so childish and unfunny... he just seems like a complete moron.

Taichu

brandonh83 said:
You have complete a great game. :lol
Conglaturation! Hahahaha, WOW.

Angry Nintendo Nerd should review Dragon Power. I swear there wasn't a line of text that didn't have either a spelling or grammatical error in it. The game was pretty shitty too.

DMczaf

lolxw3.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Pachinko

I recall that game and thinking it was really awful as a kid becuase I couldn't figure out what it was you were supposed to be doing. I wonder if he'll do the second one next, it was much more of an actual game as I recall but still not very good.

Sapiens

What kind of accent does he have?

"This game is baaaaad." Were in america do they pronounce 'a's like that?

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
:/ I actually used to own that game. Yes, it's as bad as he says. I had to cheat my way through it too.

oh man, I was worried this guy was going to run out of ways to slag on bad games. These last 3 episodes have really proven me wrong (and his movie reviews seem promising as well), I was worried the gametrailers partnership would effect the quality, but in fact, it's managed to go up! :)

Lapsed

Banned
Ghostbusters is not a NES game. It is a Commodore 64 port. The game originally came out during 1984 and became a cult classic (why do you think it was ported to the NES in the first place?). It was made by the same guy who made Pitfall. It also helped pioneer the 'password' use to simulate save games (a huge advancement).

While it hasn't aged well, the game was great fun back then. A necessary ingredient to humor is truth which is why I wasn't laughing at all during this Nintendo Nerd's show. Of course the 'voice' when the game starts sounds bad; it was one of the first 'voices' done in home computers (using the same technology that was used with Impossible Mission). The main enemy in the game is time itself (which would eventually release the Marshmallow man). Zuul opens up when you get enough ghosts (which Nintendo nerd stupidly tries to sell all his traps and stuff only to complain that the window of opportunity closed). The length of the 'car scenes' depends on how far you move your Ghostbuster icon on the main map (Nintendo Nerd moved his icon all over the map in circles).

When the game was ported to the Master System, someone stupidly added the staircase scene and that final scene with the Marshmallow man on the roof (and probably the ending "credits"). They did this to give this 1984 game some 'modern' (1987) characteristics (which, ironically, Nintendo nerd thinks is when Ghostbusters is actually being a 'game').

Wikipedia has a nice page over this Ghostbusters game. Here is a Commodore 64 page. And, for those that weren't around at that time period, here is the game getting raves at Moby Games. This was one of the best games of 1984 and, at the time, the best movie license game (remember the massive game flop that was E.T.? Yeah... People were scared of movie license games back then. Ghostbusters helped turn that around.).

Nintendo nerd's research was talking about Ghostbusters movie and talking about the toys (!). He could've mentioned the game came out in 1984 and was so popular that got it ported to every system of that time period. It shows he isn't doing any research for show prep.

I was wondering where the stupid "sneak past the Marshmallow Man to get into the Zuul building" bit went. Guess that got tossed in the port. Yeah, this was a David Crane game - but man, my mom bought it for me when it came out on the C64 and aside from the awesome music and the hot graphics on the Marshmallow Man, even at age five I knew this game sucked. Nowhere near the quality of David's other games, and a fine early example of how well a mediocre game can sell with the right license attached.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Lapsed said:
Ghostbusters is not a NES game. It is a Commodore 64 port. The game originally came out during 1984 and became a cult classic (why do you think it was ported to the NES in the first place?). It was made by the same guy who made Pitfall. It also helped pioneer the 'password' use to simulate save games (a huge advancement).

While it hasn't aged well, the game was great fun back then. A necessary ingredient to humor is truth which is why I wasn't laughing at all during this Nintendo Nerd's show. Of course the 'voice' when the game starts sounds bad; it was one of the first 'voices' done in home computers (using the same technology that was used with Impossible Mission). The main enemy in the game is time itself (which would eventually release the Marshmallow man). Zuul opens up when you get enough ghosts (which Nintendo nerd stupidly tries to sell all his traps and stuff only to complain that the window of opportunity closed). The length of the 'car scenes' depends on how far you move your Ghostbuster icon on the main map (Nintendo Nerd moved his icon all over the map in circles).

When the game was ported to the Master System, someone stupidly added the staircase scene and that final scene with the Marshmallow man on the roof (and probably the ending "credits"). They did this to give this 1984 game some 'modern' (1987) characteristics (which, ironically, Nintendo nerd thinks is when Ghostbusters is actually being a 'game').

Wikipedia has a nice page over this Ghostbusters game. Here is a Commodore 64 page. And, for those that weren't around at that time period, here is the game getting raves at Moby Games. This was one of the best games of 1984 and, at the time, the best movie license game (remember the massive game flop that was E.T.? Yeah... People were scared of movie license games back then. Ghostbusters helped turn that around.).

Nintendo nerd's research was talking about Ghostbusters movie and talking about the toys (!). He could've mentioned the game came out in 1984 and was so popular that got it ported to every system of that time period. It shows he isn't doing any research for show prep.

There are no words, there are no words!

Jiggy

Lapsed, in fairness, he's said before in an interview that he's exaggerating aspects of the show on purpose.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you putting as much thought into playing a nerd CHARACTER as you are reviewing crappy video games?

James Rolfe: Hmm. Yeah it's all a show. [People] definitely seem to enjoy it and that's what really matters to me. I do exaggerate a lot of things, but they all stem from truth. You know, I get emails every day from people explaining to me how to land the plane in Top Gun or how to beat McKids. The truth is, I've beaten McKids and I've landed the plane, but that wouldn't be funny to see in the video... except when I'm landing the plane with the Power Glove and being surprised over it. So I've turned myself into a character which is more or less an exaggeration on myself and just try to make an entertaining show.

And probably a good example of this idea, if my interpretation of what he's saying is correct, is in the TMNT review, where he makes a big deal of being able to walk over the gap even though just a few seconds before, he slipped and showed footage that he was walking over gaps in the sewer and clearly knew that was possible beforehand.

Vargas

Lapsed said:

The game sucks.

Lapsed said:

yrdHnTm0.gif

Bloodwake

Yet again, GAF is making something on the Internet SERIOUS BUSINESS.

His reviews are all in good fun for ENTERTAINMENT purposes, not serious looks at the game.

rkenshin

Lapsed said:

If we wanted facts, then we'd do our own research.. This is supposed to be entertainment..

Not edutainment..

Top Bottom