• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
One of these days, we need to learn the story behind that infamous cover. Not sure if it's true, but Wiki says "the box art designers later admitted that they had deliberately chosen this theme in order to attract the customer with something original, considering there were many space shooters in the market that looked alike." I guess that could be true, considering we still talk about it today.

shanafan

Lol, AVGN covered this game in the Star Wars episode, but I'll watch it to see Mike's reactions to it.

Watched the video, glad they skipped over the obvious.

But, I'm just exhausted with Phantom Menace hate. We get it, people don't like it. But for Mike to say the whole movie was shit.. come on dude, you aren't a hard ass or anything.

magnetic

Such a great series. He really has some clever observations. I'm also pleasantly surprised that I haven't seen most of these box arts yet, even though I've seen many threads on this subject so far.

I like all these spinoffs, just like James & Mike and Board James. I've been watching his stuff since the beginning and I still like his style.

Timu

Watched the video, glad they skipped over the obvious.

But, I'm just exhausted with Phantom Menace hate. We get it, people don't like it. But for Mike to say the whole movie was shit.. come on dude, you aren't a hard ass or anything.
And then he said Attack of the Clones is better...I'm not sure if I agree with that with it's pacing.

do we know why avgn is no longer part of screw attack? or is he still, im not sure

I think they parted after the initial contract run and when AVGN started working on the movie and his output slowed greatly. Maybe. I really don't know since I stopped caring about anything Screwattack related after Stuttering Craig screwed over his best friend Handsome Tom in the very early years.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I think they parted after the initial contract run and when AVGN started working on the movie and his output slowed greatly. Maybe. I really don't know since I stopped caring about anything Screwattack related after Stuttering Craig screwed over his best friend Handsome Tom in the very early years.

Whats the story here?

EBreda

Yeah, what happened?

Edit: found this out.

Now then, let’s delve into Stuttering Craig’s betrayal actions. Yes, the two big moments where he kicked Handsome Tom and Guru Larry off his site. Handsome Tom leaving ScrewAttack in 2008 was definitely a surprise since he founded the site with Craig when they were talking about making podcasts based on video games. They were working together very well up until the decisions to register their company. Tom wanted Craig to register the site together, but Craig wasn’t up for it at the time.

However, at a later point, Craig went and registered ScrewAttack himself without even talking to Tom about it. His reasons for doing this was terrible. Craig claimed he was “persuaded” to do this and had to take his own initiatives. That showed a huge indecency towards Tom, who was willing to work with Craig, and wasn’t going to do things on his own and not tell him about it. As one of the owners of the site, Tom was keeping up his responsibility for the site, but Craig on the other hand, he just treated his working partner and friend like trash. He even stated on the podcast that he refuses to apologise to Tom for his actions.

Tom’s response for leaving ScrewAttack was stating how unhappy he was with Craig. He only wanted to work with the site because he had fun with it and wasn’t looking to earn profit from the merchandise and such, only from the work he did. Tom actually kept his dispute with Craig short and moved onto working for his new company called The Game Heroes, who are associated with That Guy With the Glasses/Channel Awesome. This was the only good thing that resulted from Craig’s betrayal, as Tom vastly improved with his image as well as making the videos more enjoyable.

One year ago, on October 2010, Guru Larry was booted off ScrewAttack entirely despite not making a real contribution to them since late 2008-early 2009. The problem between him and Craig was Larry being offered by a gaming company who work for YouTube to become a YouTube partner. What ticked off Craig was Larry using the ScrewAttackEurope channel (which was Larry’s own channel) and thinking he was using ScrewAttack’s name for profit. Craig can’t take down someone just because of a channel name on YouTube. And besides, the name ScrewAttack originally came from the Metroid games, so he has no right to bitch about what others do with that particular name. As a result of this, Larry was forced to make a new channel and earn the ads from there instead of his original YouTube account that he’s been used to for a few years now. The only good thing about this is that Larry’s no longer promoting ScrewAttack in any way.

I actually sent Larry a private message asking what happened between him and Craig despite not being in contact with him before. I was suggested by a friend of mine to send him a PM asking for the details on the situation since he knew Larry was a very nice guy to almost anyone. The worst I expected from Larry was telling me to go fuck myself and die in a fire for being nosey about it. As a matter of fact, that wasn’t the case and he explained *everything* to me! His reasons are much better than what Craig and his butt buddies pulled out of their asses.

As their response, ScrewAttack made a 12-minute video (which no longer exists) ganging up on Larry and saying he had no right to use the ScrewAttackEurope channel for money and how he shouldn’t be using the channel now despite it being his channel. They came up with a bunch of sarcastic bullshit (again, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit) and wished Larry to do well with his future and earning money for his work which was followed by “We all like money, right?”

In conclusion, ScrewAttack as well as the owner Craig Skistimas are an abomination to mankind. They have shows that meet the same comedic value as Seltzerberg, the community (or rather “g1s”) are a disgrace to humanity, the Video Game Vaults are flooded with horrible random images and videos from the internet as well as top tens which also contain some absurd decisions and most of all, Stuttering Craig is a douchebag! He is also a backstabber and doesn’t even justify his own actions. He thinks he’s always right whether it’s for the top 10 choices or for business actions.

Maybe they have some good associates apart from the Angry Video Game Nerd but if they definitely show potential, they’re not doing themselves any favour by sticking with ScrewAttack. They’ll have a better image by not having any association with them, and this applies even to James Rolfe. He’s the reason why people even knew about ScrewAttack to begin with. The gaming world is much better off without these evil companies.

source: random internet comment.

No idea if this is true or not.

N4Us

Dunno if James knew or not, but this game's based on a movie that was only released in Japan (with English dialogue funnily enough)

rKulmL4.jpg

Haha how can Mike be so bad at basic game concepts. Double jumping to reach an area and not rushing through a level or you die from an obstacle or life deficit.

Harmen

I am really liking the cover art series actually. Watched the first 11 or so in a row. The humor often goes in different directions and it is fun to see some really obscure stuff and gaming history presented in a different manner.

Timu

Finally, I've been waiting forever for a Bootsy Beats. Oh yeah, that reminds me, I gotta beat Battletoads someday as I made it to the last level once and lost all of my lives, lol.

Top Bottom