• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Lothar

Banned
Mike is playing through Super Mario Bros. 2 Japan for the Nintendo Famicom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR-7fRIZZn4

Mike playing hard NES games has honestly been funnier than recent AVGN episodes. Mike is the real life AVGN.

You all have to see his Ninja Gaiden video if you like seeing people get angry at video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh2-ttuDfXc

He gets to the last stage 30 minutes into the video. The video is 2 hours and 30 minutes long.... and he's still on that stage at the end of it.

Totally understandable if you've ever played NG but still funny.

Mike playing hard NES games has honestly been funnier than recent AVGN episodes. Mike is the real live AVGN.

Mike's been stuck on world 7 for the last 20-30 minutes now in JSMB2. This is painful, but I can't stop watching. The general consciousness is that this is the hardest Mario Bros. game ever made, and that is no lie.

Lothar

Banned
Mike's been stuck on world 7 for the last 20-30 minutes now in JSMB2. This is painful, but I can't stop watching. The general consciousness is that this is the hardest Mario Bros. game ever made, and that is no lie.

Funniest part was the first time he got to 7-4. There was a big gap. He tried to measure it to jump across. He ran and jumped... then hit a hidden trick block, and fell in the hole.

Back to 7-1 he goes.

Funniest part was the first time he got to 7-4. There was a big gap. He tried to measure it to jump across. He ran and jumped... then hit a hidden trick block, and fell in the hole.

Back to 7-1 he goes.

Died on a Buzzy Beetle in 7-4 right before Bowser. Now he's back to 7-1. The worst part is that he still has to go through world 8.

Mike finally finished 7-4. but he's putting 8-1 on hold.

Timu

Mike playing hard NES games has honestly been funnier than recent AVGN episodes. Mike is the real life AVGN.

You all have to see his Ninja Gaiden video if you like seeing people get angry at video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh2-ttuDfXc

He gets to the last stage 30 minutes into the video. The video is 2 hours and 30 minutes long.... and he's still on that stage at the end of it.

Totally understandable if you've ever played NG but still funny.
I watched it...how is Mike stuck on 6-2 and 6-3 for that long is beyond me when he did well earlier, even I didn't spend that long on it when I beaten it this year(and then do a no death run months later). Also, why did he keep suiciding when he lost the jump n slash? You don't even need the jump n slash to beat 6-3 as you can easily do it without it.

I'm also surprised he died on the 1st final boss.=O

I watched it...how is Mike stuck on 6-2 and 6-3 for that long is beyond me when he did well earlier, even I didn't spend that long on it when I beaten it this year(and then do a no death run months later). Also, why did he keep suiciding when he lost the jump n slash? You don't even need the jump n slash to beat 6-3 as you can easily do it without it.

When I beat Ninja Gaiden 6-2 and 6-3 were burned into my skull after redoing those sections a billion times

Lothar

Banned

When you play hard games and you start to die and get frustrated, often you'll find you start playing a lot worse. Then you get tired and you play even more horribly.

For some reason, he felt he had to have the jump n slash for the last boss. I didn't even know that worked on the last boss. Seems like it'd be much more of a pain to hold onto that than to do it the ordinary way with fire and a lot of weapon power. I couldn't believe how often he got to the last boss with hardly any weapon power. One time he got there with one sliver of energy left and died in one hit, lol.

Timu

When you play hard games and you start to die and get frustrated, often you'll find you start playing a lot worse. Then you get tired and you play even more horribly.

For some reason, he felt he had to have the jump n slash for the last boss. I didn't even know that worked on the last boss. Seems like it'd be much more of a pain to hold onto that than to do it the ordinary way with fire and a lot of weapon power. I couldn't believe how often he got to the last boss with hardly any weapon power. One time he got there with one sliver of energy left and died in one hit, lol.
Yes, that is true, I can get that way as well.

Yeah the jump n slash works on all bosses and is very overpowered though useful if you want to beat any boss quickly. It's best to memorize where the magic is to be able to use more of it though when you want to stick with it, thankfully Ninja Gaiden 3 fixed this issue.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's the same thing James talks about in the SF2010 review: You keep replaying a part so many times that you suddenly get worse & lose all the skill you previously had, making you even more frustrated you can't replicate what you were able to do earlier.

Timu

It's the same thing James talks about in the SF2010 review: You keep replaying a part so many times that you suddenly get worse & lose all the skill you previously had, making you even more frustrated you can't replicate what you were able to do earlier.
Lol I forgot about that.

I do give props to Mike for beating Ninja Gaiden and not giving up.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Every time that happens to me (lately happened to me in a few of the special stages in Woolly World, mainly 3-S), I'm always reminded of that speech after a few attempts. It's something I think most gamers have experienced at least once, which makes that moment memorable.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yeah. I have really enjoyed watching Mike beat a few of the harder NES-games recently, thats way more fun than they just fooling around on the first screen imo.

Timu

Yeah. I have really enjoyed watching Mike beat a few of the harder NES-games recently, thats way more fun than they just fooling around on the first screen imo.
Agreed, plus the rage he goes through with them, that's how we all feel when these hard games piss us off, lol.

shanafan

Power Punch II (NES) James & Mike Mondays

I have to say, I enjoy the videos more where they actually get somewhere and not stuck on the first minute of the game. Then again that game looks pretty hard, can't blame 'em.

Sigh.. why does Mike need to mock everything right from the beginning? That is one of his main traits that I find pretty exhausting now.

Edit: I had to stop watching. Mike was just being too obnoxious the entire time.

shanafan

I remember playing this as a kid, and loving it. Course, different back then when the show was a thing at the time.

However, tough for James and Doug to criticize the two player mode. The TV show was the competitor versus the gladiators in the different games, like how presented in the video game. They are competing against each other for the highest score. A game that had a similar two player model was... Super Mario Bros.

Ah crap, more jokes about Mike's "you know what".

Who is your avatar of?

I remember playing this as a kid, and loving it. Course, different back then when the show was a thing at the time.

However, tough for James and Doug to criticize the two player mode. The TV show was the competitor versus the gladiators in the different games, like how presented in the video game. They are competing against each other for the highest score. A game that had a similar two player model was... Super Mario Bros.

Yes, but the show at least ended head-to-head with the Eliminator at the end. For this to just end with whoever gets the higher score is just silly.

Volotaire

I can't wait until they play Mario Maker. Now seems like the perfect opportunity with the patch released and the Halloween season finished.

Balb

I can't wait until they play Mario Maker. Now seems like the perfect opportunity with the patch released and the Halloween season finished.

You just know there's going to be some frustrating BS when they finally get around to doing the video :p

Stuff like Mike not unlocking anything in the game past what you get when you first boot up the game. Or him asking, "why the fuck can't you use red koopa troopas?" etc.

Timu

They said Gex was a failed mascot and thought it was only on the 3DO...WTH? 1st game was good and so were it's sequels on PS1 and N64. Also, I loved the Bubsy comparison as Bubsy was never that good and got worse with each game, lol.

shanafan

They said Gex was a failed mascot and thought it was only on the 3DO...WTH? 1st game was good and so were it's sequels on PS1 and N64. Also, I loved the Bubsy comparison as Bubsy was never that good and got worse with each game, lol.

Ha, I started to roll my eyes when Mike compared how "cool" Gex was supposed to be to the names of Super Mario World levels. I don't really think Nintendo was trying to be "cool" with the names, I think it's more out of fun than anything else.

Gosh, Mike is really starting to drain on me... he must have used the f bomb like 5 times in a 20 second window explaining the levels in Gex. It's like come on man, do you really talk that way? lol

Balb

Ha, I started to roll my eyes when Mike compared how "cool" Gex was supposed to be to the names of Super Mario World levels. I don't really think Nintendo was trying to be "cool" with the names, I think it's more out of fun than anything else.

Gosh, Mike is really starting to drain on me... he must have used the f bomb like 5 times in a 20 second window explaining the levels in Gex. It's like come on man, do you really talk that way? lol

Yeah I feel like he tries to play devil's advocate too much.

"Gex was trying to be extreme. Well to be fair, so was Mario because of localized bonus level names."

"Gex makes a lot of wisecracks and is annoying like Bubsy." "Yeah, well Mario is kind of annoying because of one thing he says when you boot up Mario 64."

He seems to be doing that a lot these days. I like him a lot better during his streams when he's just being himself. I don't want to exaggerate too much though because most of the time he's pretty cool in the J&MM videos.

maharg

idspispopd
"Gex makes a lot of wisecracks and is annoying like Bubsy." "Yeah, well Mario is kind of annoying because of one thing he says when you boot up Mario 64."

You know, to some extent the degree to which they've made Mario vocal in games since about Mario 64 has been a part of turning me off those games. Even Link's constant "HWWWRRAAAAH" noises are starting to grate on me in Zelda games, too.

Elija2

Edit: Now he's explaining the lion roar in the Wizard of Oz review? This is just weird. (and I liked when he didn't need to explain this stuff. kids, I guess)

I think he added that part so that the easter egg still works. In the original video the AVGN theme song plays after the lion roar but the AVGN DVDs don't play the theme song for each video so they needed to put something in its place so that it would still sync properly. I guess they could have put anything there instead of explaining it. It's just weird that there's no audio at all in that part.

Top Bottom