• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Super Morial Arms Starring Jean Claude Van Damme

Yikes. Another one they just couldn't figure out.
Code Name: Viper
is just a Rolling Thunder ripoff. Even the character animations are pretty much direct copies of Rolling Thunder, I can't believe Mike of all people didn't catch that. Isn't he all about retro arcade games?

To progress, all they had to do was go into the doors the enemies keep spilling out of (just like Rolling Thunder) where you rescue prisoners, get ammo/weapons and the grenade to progress past the "Tootsie Roll".

How the hell did 2 retro gamers manage to walk past so many doors and not think to press UP to enter?

It's actually a pretty decent NES game, if you don't mind it being a total copy of a better game.

bjork

Yikes. Another one they just couldn't figure out.
Code Name: Viper
is just a Rolling Thunder ripoff. Even the character animations are pretty much direct copies of Rolling Thunder, I can't believe Mike of all people didn't catch that. Isn't he all about retro arcade games?

To progress, all they had to do was go into the doors the enemies keep spilling out of (just like Rolling Thunder) where you rescue prisoners, get ammo/weapons and the grenade to progress past the "Tootsie Roll".

How the hell did 2 retro gamers manage to walk past so many doors and not think to press UP to enter?

It's actually a pretty decent NES game, if you don't mind it being a total copy of a better game.

It puzzled me because I remember CN:V being featured in Nintendo Power and I always imagine the first 30-40 issues being engraved in their memories, but I guess it could happen to anyone. Not sure about missing the doors, though, I'm with you on that.

Yeah, I LOVED the original game that Van Damm hack was based on, growing up. I've never watched a AVGN video or any of James's output and been really frustrated watching it. But I was for this.

Yeah, I LOVED the original game that Van Damm hack was based on, growing up. I've never watched a AVGN video or any of James's output and been really frustrated watching it. But I was for this.

Yeah. I'm fine with them not knowing the best room to farm health in Metroid or things like that because this series is all about blindly trying new games or revisiting games they haven't played since youth, but this one really annoyed me. They just flat out gave up instead of just looking at the dead end and stopping for a second to think what they didn't try.

Doesn't everyone just press UP when in front of a door in classic 2D games at least once? It's like rubbing the walls and mashing X in modern 3D games to see if there's anything interactive. You just do it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Glad I'm not the only one who was screaming at their monitor (figuratively) while watching this week's J&M. :lol

"It's Code Name: Viper, dammit!"
"The upward jump isn't useless, you use it to jump to the higher levels. Arghh!"
"I mean, have neither of you ever played Rolling Thunder?!"

As a huge fan of Rolling Thunder, I don't think I should even watch this one. (For instance, my reviews of Rolling Thunder (NES) and Rolling Thunder 3 (Genesis).) Rolling Thunder was a very popular arcade game, how could both of them completely forget about the game? And even if they did somehow manage to forget it, not thinking to press up at the doors is utterly mystifying.

As for Codename Viper, it's an okay game, but isn't nearly as good as the real Rolling Thunder. It's a good bit easier than the first Rolling Thunder for NES, too. It is still a definite challenge, but not NES Rolling Thunder hard. I do like Codename Viper because it's the most blatant clone Rolling Thunder has, though. It's not the real thing, but it is a lot like a great classic I love.

Timu

I haven't played Rolling Thunder yet(though I want to play 2 the most) and even I knew what the gameplay of that game was like along with remembering the game CodeName: Viper, yet another game I didn't play yet!!!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe he could try to find a "bad" Resident Evil game. Like Dead Aim. Wasn't that one considered bad, mainly because of the gun controller not wanting to work or something?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
To be fair, I noticed other YouTube personalities doing that for DD2.The Completionist & Brutalmoose (with SpaceHamster & Balrog) also uploaded videos for the game, stating they were sponsored/paid to do so.

This is sort of off topic, but a few days ago, Mike tweeted about his penis and then deleted the tweet. Is this a recurring joke or something? It was really odd to wake up and start reading tweets, and suddenly Mike tweets about his penis being 10 inches or something. Looking at the timeline where I remember the tweet existing, it was either late on the 15th or early on the 16th.

Anyway, James and Mike Mondays are great, but I don't know if I would want a "best of" since my favorite episodes are usually the two-parters, like the Batman and Super Ghouls and Ghost videos, also their befuddlement at Universal Studios.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Taste the sweat dripping into your mouth

Lothar

Banned
I am way more excited for a Halloween themed AVGN episode than I am about anything to do with Monster Madness. Every single year there has been one. And those have been among his best.

Atari Halloween. Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Friday the 13th. Ghosts N Goblins. Castlevania series.

On the James and Mike side, Super Ghouls N Ghosts and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde are up there in the top 5 of James and Mike episodes.

Every year when people are going on and on about Monster Madness, this is all I'm thinking about.

Timu

Mike live streams Back To the Future for the NES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR-7fRIZZn4
He also did TMNT NES...gonna check both of them out.

I love his avgn episodes but those LP's with the other guy are just horrible.
...I like J&MM, though some episodes can be a bit frustrating to watch.

I am way more excited for a Halloween themed AVGN episode than I am about anything to do with Monster Madness. Every single year there has been one. And those have been among his best.

Atari Halloween. Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Friday the 13th. Ghosts N Goblins. Castlevania series.

On the James and Mike side, Super Ghouls N Ghosts and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde are up there in the top 5 of James and Mike episodes.

Every year when people are going on and on about Monster Madness, this is all I'm thinking about.
I can't wait for the Halloween AVGN episode as well, he should do Swamp Thing, which is one of the worst NES games.

shanafan

Since Monster Madness seemed to turned to shit, I more excited for a Halloween AVGN Episode then ever.

Agreed. I prefer James to just review horror movies the usual Monster Madness way because these sit down and chats with Mike are just awful. I just deleted the most recent ones from my e-mail because I don't want to watch a 25 minute conversation on Universal monsters, or Halloween specials. They don't prepare for them generally speaking, so the misinformation can be grueling to listen to.

At one point, Mike asked James.. "Did Sarah Michelle Geller play Buffy?" It's like, come on man, if you are going to do horror conversations with James, at least know like some key things.

Timu

At one point, Mike asked James.. "Did Sarah Michelle Geller play Buffy?" It's like, come on man, if you are going to do horror conversations with James, at least know like some key things.
Wait, wait, wait...no way this can be real...he actually said that???

The real goodness of Monster Madness 2015 is on the cinemassacre site.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
You guys do realize that not every Monster Madness video is an unscripted discussion with Mike right? There's plenty of normal reviews on his site.

Wait, wait, wait...no way this can be real...he actually said that???

The real goodness of Monster Madness 2015 is on the cinemassacre site.

Yeah I agree, the good Monster Madness episodes are at Cinemasacre.com. The lame unscripted fireside chat version of the show is being made for youtube, but his usual yearly reviews are on his site and those are quite good.

Getting close to Halloween now, so I wonder when within the next week they will release a Halloween episode of AVGN?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So in other words, when he has a script.

Ya know, I think I recall James saying in his Barbie/Making of AVGN episode that he's not the "on the fly/spot" type of comedian, where he needs to let inspiration hit him first to write the script in order to make it funny, and some of these unscriptied videos kind of show that.

Top Bottom