• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cinemassacre's Monster Madness 9 (2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchie64

Every year James Rolfe (the Angry Video Game Nerd) spends October reviewing horror movies - usually one per day. This year he's doing another unthemed run through the history of horror, focusing on fan requests and the public domain!
Let’s get ready to celebrate the Halloween season, with the 9th annual Monster Madness! This time, it will be another random assortment of movie reviews. Classic horror, New horror, spanning the timeline from 1925-2015. I’ll take care of lots of major league horror titles, and answer many of last year’s requests from the fans. There’s lots of coverage of Roger Corman, George Romero, and also Academy Award winning horror films. There’s a big emphasize on public domain films, as well as unscripted videos with Mike in it. This time, Monster Madness will have a presence on YouTube, for the first time since it’s original incarnation! About a dozen of the videos will be Cinemassacre.com exclusives, but for YouTube, those days will be filled in with reruns and re-edits that have never before been seen on YouTube. So wherever you’re watching, you’ll be getting 31 videos!
For now he's uploaded a video as a guide to Monster Madness for newcomers.

Videos:
  1. The Ring (2002) (YouTube)*
  2. The Wasp Woman (1959) (YouTube)
  3. Sleepaway Camp (1983)
  4. Frozen (2010) (YouTube)*
  5. Suspiria (1977)
  6. Misery (1990)
  7. PoultryGeist (2006) (YouTube)*
  8. The Monster (1925) (YouTube)
  9. Candyman (1992)
  10. Is It Horror? (YouTube)*
  11. Little Shop of Horrors (1960) (YouTube)
  12. Silence of the Lambs (1991)
  13. The Human Centipede (2009) (YouTube)*
  14. Shaun of the Dead (2004)
  15. The Omen (1976)
  16. Future of Universal Monsters (YouTube)*
  17. Last Man on Earth (1964) (YouTube)
  18. Frankenstein Unbound (1990)
  19. Saw (2004) (YouTube)*
  20. Carrie (1976)
  21. Last House on the Left (1972)
  22. Halloween TV Specials (YouTube)*
  23. Carnival of Souls (1962) (YouTube)
  24. The Beast with Five Fingers (1946)
  25. It Follows (2015) (YouTube)*
  26. Night of the Lepus (1972)
  27. City of the Dead (1960) (YouTube)
  28. The Descent (2005) (YouTube)*
  29. Invisible Man Series (1933 - 1951)
  30. House on Haunted Hill (1959) (YouTube)
  31. Celebrating Halloween (YouTube)*

*Videos are unscripted discussions with Mike and no footage of the movies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's still amazing that he's been doing this for NINE years now. I was freakin' 15 when he started doing this.

Wonder if he'll do something special next year for the 10th anniversary.

James put out some of the best and most memorable nerdy video content in the past three years. Absolutely love his contributions and the fact that he's been around for quite a significant part of my lifetime.

SpaceHorror

Can't wait! Monster Madness has become a staple of October for me.

Also, hard to believe he has been doing it for 9 years.

Sephzilla

His Godzilla-thon was glorious. I can't believe he's been doing this for 9 years now, though. I'm starting to feel all like

giphy.gif

LiK

fuck yea, Monster Madness is my favorite series. I wish he upped all MM to YT. going through each video at a time is a pain. he needs a playlist.

I've been trying to suggest to James to do a Giant Monster Madness if he ever runs out of theme for his Monster Madness. There are still tons of movies with giant monsters that he can talk about outside of King Kong, Godzilla, and Gamera.

Gamerman1

Looking forward it to so much.He introduced me to so many older classic horror movies. Even the campy shit was gold to watch with friends.

munchie64

The Ring (2002)

As promised the videos are a little different this time around, there seems to be some unscripted stuff with Mike. not sure how I feel about it.

Still great to hear them talk about The Ring which I haven't watched in a long ass time.

jwk94

So is this how Monster Madness is going to be this year? If so, I might just skip out. I watch these to hear him talk about the movie while scenes play, not see them both talk about the movie while still cycle in a little square behind them.

munchie64

So is this how Monster Madness is going to be this year? If so, I might just skip out. I watch these to hear him talk about the movie while scenes play, not see them both talk about the movie while still cycle in a little square behind them.
According to James in the video about 2/3 of the videos will be the regular old scripted content. These ones are here so they can put some content up on Youtube.

Edit: I may make the distinction clear in the OP if people only wanna watch one type.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Gave it a shot thinking it might be a great way to spice things up this year. Thought it would be like a Red Letter Media type of unscripted. Not what i was expecting. If its unscripted it needs to be longer and they need to be more prepared. Doesnt even seem like theyve watched the movie beforehand. Feels like they are going from years old memories.

Apathy

9 years means next year he'll have to do something amazing for the 10 year anniversary. Till then, I get to enjoy this year's selections

Nokterian

It's still amazing that he's been doing this for NINE years now. I was freakin' 15 when he started doing this.

Wonder if he'll do something special next year for the 10th anniversary.

I watch this every year i think i started watching back in 2008 or 2009 but so good that he is doing this.

Oh man, he's still using the same old junk player on the cinemassacre site?

I want to watch these on my TV but the only way I could figure out to was using the PS4's web browser and it hardly works. Memory errors and playback issues like crazy.

Hopefully the youtube versions aren't missing too much.

Man, was really looking forward to this, shame the format has changed and I watch MM for James opinions, not Mike's. Maybe I might skip this years.

Okay, I watched the episode. It wasn't what I was hoping for.

I have no problem with Mike, in fact I like the guy, but he added nothing to this. He's definitely not as well versed as James in horror and just seemed to be there to feed James questions. This is only the first video though, so hopefully they cover some stuff he's more familiar with as he felt really out of his element in this one.

My biggest disappointment though, is that they covered a movie they didn't even really like. I watch these kinds of videos to find obscure stuff I may have missed and James always seems to find something interesting he likes to talk about. If they're just going to cover mainstream horror everyone is aware of, I don't really see the point in watching.

And picking the US remake over the Japanese one? Yikes.

Okay, I watched the episode. It wasn't what I was hoping for.

I have no problem with Mike, in fact I like the guy, but he added nothing to this. He's definitely not as well versed as James in horror and just seemed to be there to feed James questions. This is only the first video though, so hopefully they cover some stuff he's more familiar with as he felt really out of his element in this one.

My biggest disappointment though, is that they covered a movie they didn't even really like. I watch these kinds of videos to find obscure stuff I may have missed and James always seems to find something interesting he likes to talk about. If they're just going to cover mainstream horror everyone is aware of, I don't really see the point in watching.

And picking the US remake over the Japanese one? Yikes.

In the promo I think he said it would be an eclectic selection, so definitely not all modern stuff. Also, both versions of The Ring sucked, so there's no winners in this race.

Looking forward to the rest of the series though, his videos about films are my favourite content of his.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, this was just......okay. But I don't have any desire to rewatch it like past reviews. Godzilla-thon was great rewatching about once a year, especially if it's the version where it's all the reviews edited together. Hopefully the non-YT stuff is more focused like previous years.

Fucking Mike, i'm out. Dude is horrendous. Terrible at game, horrible knowledge of movies and just comes across as all round douche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom