• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cinemassacre's Monster Madness 9 (2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

Yeah, that definitely sold me on Candyman. I've heard great things about Tony Todd's performance but it's not something I've ever really looked into. I love "urban decay" as a setting, too.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
A special discussion video, Is It Horror?
A little different as it is talking about a topic, rather than simply talking about a film.

I know people in the thread are heavily against the discussion videos, but at least this one is worth checking out.
The second half has them go over various movies to see if they qualify as horror or not.

Good to see James finally do Silence of the Lambs. It's still the one of the best book adaptation in my opinion, if not the best. Such a great film.

Edit: Actually Jaws is probably the best, better than the book.

wiibomb

didn't know there was a thread about this.

I have been watching this since just this year I subscribed to the youtube channel, I'm not even much of a fan of horror movies, but I appreciate a lot the reviews and comments on them.

watched the whole Night of the Living Dead and I loved it. It was the first time I did, but I liked it a lot, I guess I saw what James saw in the movie the first time he saw it.

munchie64

anigif_enhanced-buzz-820-1375712007-15.gif

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Yeah, that definitely sold me on Candyman. I've heard great things about Tony Todd's performance but it's not something I've ever really looked into. I love "urban decay" as a setting, too.

I'm surprised I've never watched Candyman, because I'll watch anything with Tony Todd in it. That guy and his godlike stature and voice can make anything watchable.

industrian

I remember seeing the sequel a lot when I was younger. I've only seen the first movie once or twice.

jph139

I actually watched The Omen very recently, weirdly enough. I agree with James a lot on this one - some really great moments but overall a bit bland. Gregory Peck kills it, though, and the death scenes are definite highlights.

When you put it in dialogue with The Exorcist (which I also saw for the first time recently) and Rosemary's Baby (possibly my favorite horror movie of all time), it pales in comparison. Not as horrific as the former or as unsettling at the latter.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Another special discussion video where James and Mike discuss the Future of Universal Monsters.

Edit: And the Youtube version.

That piece of paper James pulls out in the video is fucking hilarious.

It's funny how they mention Dracula Untold was originally going to be the start of the new cinematic universe until the movie bombed and they backpedaled.
It's like when Green Lantern was going to be the start of the DCCU until that bombed and they backpedaled and made Man of Steel the start of it

industrian

When you put it in dialogue with The Exorcist (which I also saw for the first time recently) and Rosemary's Baby (possibly my favorite horror movie of all time), it pales in comparison. Not as horrific as the former or as unsettling at the latter.

Rosermary's Baby is an incredible horror movie, and it's a shame that horror movies like that are very rare nowadays. If they made that movie nowadays, I guess half of GAF would complain that it's too slow, and the other half would complain like when they saw Godzilla
that the titular Rosemary's Baby only appears for the final 10 minutes

munchie64

Rosermary's Baby is an incredible horror movie, and it's a shame that horror movies like that are very rare nowadays. If they made that movie nowadays, I guess half of GAF would complain that it's too slow, and the other half would complain like when they saw Godzilla
that the titular Rosemary's Baby only appears for the final 10 minutes
I made a LttP about that film (I loved it) and got a few responses of that I believe.

industrian

I watched it with my girlfriend in 2012. She seemed bored halfway through it. I put it down to her not speaking English as a first language and having to rely on subtitles. It seems weird saying that, but you miss a lot of subtleties and other elements of movies if you have to rely on reading. It's a slow movie, but a good slow movie where the tension builds with practically every minute.

jwk94

Ugh, I pray they don't do this whole unscripted thing ever again. Only watching half of these really sucks.

industrian

Saw 1 and 2 are great movies. After 2 it fell off the rails completely. The
needle pit
from Saw 2 really got to me.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
A special discussion video, Is It Horror?
A little different as it is talking about a topic, rather than simply talking about a film.

That was quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

All you need to know whether a movie is a horror movie or not:

* Directorial intent.

* Historical/literary/folkloric origins.

* Does it have a "monster" in it.

Mupod

Ugh, I pray they don't do this whole unscripted thing ever again. Only watching half of these really sucks.

yeah I've watched every monster madness video as they came out from the very first, and I can't make it through any of these 'unscripted' ones. It's boring just watching them talk about a movie with a static image or two in the background. I can't fault him for trying something different but if he's going to do something like this maybe just go full MST3K and do a live commentary kind of thing. When he did that with Night of the Living Dead it was awesome.

I actually almost forgot about that one. God damn I just realized how many years I've been following this.

eXistor

Well, I like Mike. I don't always agree with there view on things, but I like them as people, they still manage to entertain me after all these years.

I don't mind the unscripted stuff, it usually goes nowhere, but it's just two dudes shooting the shit, it doesn't need to be that coherent.

The unscripted stuff has grown on me after the weak first one. It's definitely more enjoyable when they like the movie and know what they're talking about.

It's almost worth the whole thing just to see that paper James pulled out in the Universal Monsters ep.

Mupod

Well, I like Mike. I don't always agree with there view on things, but I like them as people, they still manage to entertain me after all these years.

I don't mind the unscripted stuff, it usually goes nowhere, but it's just two dudes shooting the shit, it doesn't need to be that coherent.

I definitely don't have a problem with Mike because everyone who likes Guyver 2 is cool.

The unscripted stuff has grown on me after the weak first one. It's definitely more enjoyable when they like the movie and know what they're talking about.

It's almost worth the whole thing just to see that paper James pulled out in the Universal Monsters ep.

Alright, I'll go back and watch the rest then. At least that one.

ElTopo

Banned
One of the few times where a direct rip off is better than the original film.

Check out Night Train Murders. It's significantly better than Last House on the Left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom