• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cinemassacre's Monster Madness X: The Final Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchie64

Promo Video
Every year, James Rolfe (the Angry Video Game Nerd) spends October reviewing horror movies. In this 10th year of the marathon, James is doing one last set of 31 films to retire the standard format. Every review will be available on Youtube and the Cinemassacre website.

The theme this year is going to be different every day:
Modern Mondays
Top Ten Tuesdays
WTF Wednesdays
Blood-Thirsty Thursdays
Franken-Fridays
Weekend Whatevers

Announcement Video
This year’s Monster Madness will be the 10th and the final marathon to include 31 movie reviews. It’s always been one of my favorite things I do, but in recent years, I have been stretching to fit 31 reviews. Finding the right movies is becoming a longer process. Completing 31 reviews takes several months.

I will never stop reviewing horror films.
Halloween will always be celebrated on Cinemassacre.
There could even be a Mini-Monster Madness. The name will live on.

It’s fitting to end this format at 10 years. After all, Monster Madness has lasted longer than TNT’s MonsterVISION.

Videos:
1. The Wicker Man (1973)
2. Mr Sardonicus (1961)
3. Babadook (2016)
4. Top 20 Golden Age Horror (1930-1949)
5. Eraserhead (1977)
6. Vampyr (1932)
7. Frankenhooker (1990)
8. Mighty Joe Young (1949)
9. Swamp Thing (1982)
10. Tusk (2014)
11. Top 15 Silver Age Sci Fi (1950-1959)
12. Terror Firmer (1999)
13. The Lost Boys (1987)
14. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994)
15. Matinee (1993)
16. Metropolis (1927)
17. Oculus (2013)
18. Top 15 Silver Age Horror (1957-1969)
19. House (1977)
20. Wolfman Vs Dracula
21. Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster (1965)
22. Clash of the Titans (1981)
23. Targets (1968)
24. Lumberjack Man (2015)
25. Top 20 Bronze Age Horror (1970-1989)
26. Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
27. Dracula Dead and Loving It (1995)
28. Victor Frankenstein (2015)
29. History of Midnight Ghost Shows
30. Sleepy Hollow (1999)
31. Krampus (2015)

Every Monster Madness video can be found here.

-sdp

Not a horror movie fan but enjoy these reviews and have been since the second year, I came in for Godzilla but stayed in to learn more about horror films. Last year I only watched the reviews without Mike, those reviews just didn't do it for me and sadly they reviewed some good films in that style oh well.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Oh, his first review is The Wicker Man? SWEET! I only just saw that movie for the first time last night on The Horror Channel. Good timing.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ah October. Matt & Pat have the Shitstorm, Nostalgia Critic has his Halloween stuff, and Monster Madness roars once again.

So 2017 will be "Cinemassacres Monster Madness Part 11 - The New Blood"

Sadly no. This is the final Monster Madness.

thefro

It's just still images on Youtube when he's talking about the movies :(

Hopefully he still has clips of the movies on his site (that's going to be the preferred place to watch if so).

Ithil

Ah October. Matt & Pat have the Shitstorm, Nostalgia Critic has his Halloween stuff, and Monster Madness roars once again.

Sadly no. This is the final Monster Madness.

He just said it's the last full 31 day Monster Madness. I assume he'll do a smaller version from now on.

Davey Cakes

His review of the original Wicker Man is quick and to the point. Basically, recommended.

What I took from it is that, The Nicholas Cage version was a remake, and Christopher Lee starred in the original and it was "his favorite."

I actually haven't watched the Monster Madness series since the second or third year. Is it worth going through all of James's videos at this point? I know early on that he definitely intrigued me with films such as the spanish version of Dracula.

Not surprised that this would be the final Monster Madness. James barely considers The Wicker Man a horror movie. After doing 31 movies a year I guess it's slim pickins at this point.

I used to love watching these every year but after his Ghostbusters debacle I can't bring myself to watch his videos anymore. No watch. I refuse.

Gonna miss the full marathon in future but hopefully a smaller one will be just as good. Love Halloween and horror, so this is always a great way to chill on October nights, along with watching horror movies course.

Timu

I love this series, can't believe it'll be gone after this month ends, well, at least he's giving it his all so I'm down for this!

Big Nikus

I love this series, can't believe it'll be gone after this month ends, well, at least he's giving it his all so I'm down for this!

It won't be gone, it'll be like the first years of Monster Madness from now on. It's the last big marathon, that's all.

Tomita

Had no idea Wicker Man was Christopher Lee's favorite movie. He's one of my favorite actors so now I feel obligated to watch the entire thing. I've kind of avoided it since I thought the ending to the remake was really squeamish/gruesome (which is weird, because normally I don't get like that with movies) and assumed the original wouldn't be that much different in that regard.

His review of the original Wicker Man is quick and to the point. Basically, recommended.

What I took from it is that, The Nicholas Cage version was a remake, and Christopher Lee starred in the original and it was "his favorite."

I actually haven't watched the Monster Madness series since the second or third year. Is it worth going through all of James's videos at this point? I know early on that he definitely intrigued me with films such as the spanish version of Dracula.

Not surprised that this would be the final Monster Madness. James barely considers The Wicker Man a horror movie. After doing 31 movies a year I guess it's slim pickins at this point.

1. Definitely go back and rewatch the old ones. A lot of them are about the same length as this Wicker Man video, so it's not so bad if you're cramped for time.

2. Lol what at the bolded?? He's said more than once that he loves horror and has plenty more material left, but, as much as he loves doing Monster Madness, needs to stop doing the full-month stuff because it takes a ridiculous amount of time. He has even "complained" about how hard it is in years previous (not really complained because James doesn't really complain...but, you know). Saying the Wicker Man doesn't really qualify as a horror movie and is more of a suspense/thriller film is perfectly valid and not a sign of him using slim pickings. Again, I haven't seen the whole movie, but I know the film has a deliberate slow pace that gradually builds on the suspense, and wouldn't really have horror signs until the end for the famous part. Because of that, I'm not surprised that the genre could be debatable.

yeah, what's up with that? Noticed it right away with The Wicker Man

I'm assuming because of copy right now?

I guess so, but I'm sure part of the decision is to cut on editing time as well. Sort of a shame. ): Maybe it's only for certain movies.

yeah, what's up with that? Noticed it right away with The Wicker Man

I'm assuming because of copy right now?
What still photos? You mean the two photos when mentioning the modern remake? Because I saw throughout the whole reiew actual video from the original Wicker Man flick.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So its really just still photos... Maybe it was to much work? Other YouTube Channels get money with footage reviews.

So its really just still photos... Maybe it was to much work? Other YouTube Channels get money with footage reviews.

Taking stills sounds like more work than just getting footage to be honest. He's probably just making sure nothing can be taken down.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden

Nostalgia Critic has been doing more photo montages too, it's a way to get around ruthless DMCA takedowns that threaten their YouTube channels.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Nostalgia Critic has been doing more photo montages too, it's a way to get around ruthless DMCA takedowns that threaten their YouTube channels.
Because he now reviews more and more movies that are at the time of the review in the cinema and it would get him into trouble if he had full footage of everything

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Because he now reviews more and more movies that are at the time of the review in the cinema and it would get him into trouble if he had full footage of everything

No, he gets around those by being more inventive with the reviews and acting out mock scenes. Older films from the '60s and '70s are still under copyright and get just as much DMCA bullshit, regardless of context.

Definitely, anything by James regarding horror is fantastic. He really knows his shit and can appreciate all sub-genres.

munchie64

mr-sardonicus-1.jpg

That fucking face lol
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheCinemassacre/comments/3nckio/old_monster_madness_playlists/cvms96m

A link to all the previous ones.

http://cinemassacre.com/category/moviereviews/monstermadness/

Clicking this will load a page with literally all the previous 9 seasons of episodes in one place.
Thanks for the links!

jph139

Woo, Monster Madness! Highlight of the season.

Ha ha, I actually saw Mr. Sardonicus on TV last year while flipping through channels on Halloween. Awful, awful movie, but incredibly, entertainingly ridiculous. That goddamn face, and the weird torture stuff, god, definitely one that's going to be stuck in my head forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom