• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmmm, interesting choice. It was originally meant to be a sequel to Punch-Out called "Mike Tyson's Intergalactic Power Punch", but then didn't because of the legal issues Tyson was getting into, & for SOME reason, they put a "2" in the title despite the fact there's no Power Punch 1.

Lothar

Banned
I knew there had to be one. AVGN didn't let me down.

Still I wish it was Resident Evil or Silent Hill. 10 years of horror specials and no Resident Evil or Silent Hill.

We also still need a Monster Party episode.

Timu

I knew there had to be one. AVGN didn't let me down.

Still I wish it was Resident Evil or Silent Hill. 10 years of horror specials and no Resident Evil or Silent Hill.

We also still need a Monster Party episode.
We need a Swamp Thing for NES episode as well.

Gonna watch the new one soon.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Cool, a full episode dedicated to Sega Saturn. Hopefully he does more Gen 5 games, especially now that PS1 and Saturn are 20 years old. ... Fuck I'm feeling old.

Tank controls... there's something I don't miss.

The worst of the PS1 era is probably way worse than any bad NES era game. It's ripe for AVGN content.

The problem is that James has shown generally terrible skill at 3d games kind of like Egoraptor where its hard to take their criticism of those games seriously at times. The Crow doesn't look like a very good game but I'm sure I'm not the only person who finds tank controls perfectly playable and somewhat preferable for certain kinds of games.

Lothar

Banned
Now that I've seen it, I say he should have done Resident Evil. I don't know why he doesn't. He could have said a lot of the same things about it and he would have sucked just as badly at it. But he would have had more things to say. He could have talked about the voice acting, the story, the lack of ammo (I'm sure he would have complained about that), the puzzles and not knowing where to go, and how innovative it was.

The original RE is one of my favorite games and I love tank controls, but I don't care if he complains about every single thing in it and calls it shit. It would probably be funny and it would a big title. People would have nostalgia for it. Who has nostalgia for The Crow on Sega Saturn?

It is bizarre how into horror he is and into video games he is but he has nothing at all to say about horror video games.

It's neat that he picked ab obscure Saturn title, but this one was so mediocre that there really is very little to say about it outside of controls and camera. It is a mid '90's movie licensed game from Accliam, which means it was bound to be bad.

I don't really think James understands how the the visuals work in these types of games, as he tried to compare it to Mario 64. Not one of his better AVGN Halloween specials. But I look forward to the Board James cross over.

Dereck

Now that I've seen it, I say he should have done Resident Evil. I don't know why he doesn't. He could have said a lot of the same things about it and he would have sucked just as badly at it. But he would have had more things to say. He could have talked about the voice acting, the story, the lack of ammo (I'm sure he would have complained about that), the puzzles and not knowing where to go, and how innovative it was.

The original RE is one of my favorite games and I love tank controls, but I don't care if he complains about every single thing in it and calls it shit. It would probably be funny and it would a big title. People would have nostalgia for it. Who has nostalgia for The Crow on Sega Saturn?

It is bizarre how into horror he is and into video games he is but he has nothing at all to say about horror video games.
In a recent video he made a comment about how he could never jive with/or liked the classic RE control scheme.

Guy Fucks? Isn't it Fred Fucks? Or was that a Guy Fawkes parody?

Anyway, this was at least better than the Alien 3 "review" he did two or so years ago. I think the letdown is that there were always two reliable episodes every year, Christmas and Halloween, and now Halloween has taken a huge backseat to Monster Madness. I know he's busy and has a life and family, but It bums me out that we've only gotten 4 episodes this year. Just four. And I can't imagine anything between now and Christmas.

(the board game is one of the few he's talked about that I remember, and remember liking. Interesting for the next Board James episode)

Great video on the process of making the monster madness and their entire output.

I meant as in having barely functional games...but yes that is one of the worst PS1 games, lol that game is so bad.

That soundtrack is strangely mesmerizing though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bvxLoXYG3U

My brain can't make up its mind if this is good or bad.

But then again, Action52 has the ultra catchy CheetahMen theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZlYGN5W2Yg
And the amazing intro with music supplied by Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COxUuxJ8-rs

I feel like James is putting more effort into Board James than he is AVGN. This is one of the best episodes yet.
Though I was expecting an AVGN crossover, given the last two episodes.Mike is overacting though and Bootsy is underacting.

Yeah, it kind of underlines how routine AVGN has become. Again, only 4 episodes this year.

Board James and James and Mike Mondays are a lot of fun though
but I also don't blindly hate Mike so that may cloud my judgement

Elija2

I don't even know what's going on in the Board James story. What's real and what's fake?!?

Also, looks like the season finale (and possibly series finale) will be out in December. I'd be kinda bummed if he doesn't continue doing Board James, even without the dark subplot.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Thumbnail on the video kind of spoils part of it, but still pretty damn amazing. Can't believe the plot that's come out of a simple board game review show.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Huh... so that happened.
Hopefully the finale in December gives us answers.

James commented that it could either be a season finale, or the series finale.

I don't even know what's going on in the Board James story. What's real and what's fake?!?

Also, looks like the season finale (and possibly series finale) will be out in December. I'd be kinda bummed if he doesn't continue doing Board James, even without the dark subplot.

Huh... so that happened.
Hopefully the finale in December gives us answers.

James commented that it could either be a season finale, or the series finale.

Unless James plan to retire from all videos I imagine Board James will return eventually it's too popular and well received even without the dark sub plot. Honestly I'd be okay with seeing BJ go a bit more into the rules of some more complex games giving it a bit more of a review feeling though I'll admit I've not seen every BJ so perhaps he does for things that aren't dream phone and mr bucket :p

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Pretty boring avgn episode. Btw, who is this Bootsy-caracter in Board James? When did he turn up, and who is he?

Xenoboy

Wow, I remember having that board game. It's the one game I never really understood how to play either. To my defence I was like 5 years then.

Now I'm so excited for the finale next month!

woopWOOP

New AVGN episode is pretty good, but the Board James one hits it outta the park. Confusing explanation bit was the best.

New AVGN episode is pretty good, but the Board James one hits it outta the park. Confusing explanation bit was the best.

I honestly couldn't tell if the game is difficult to figure out or if they were playing it up as part of the horror movie set up they were role playing

Resident Evil would have been a better choice. He wouldn't necessarily have to shit all over it either. The Zelda II review was a fair critique that still got a lot of jokes in, for example.

Top Bottom