• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing Amiibo cards launch 2nd Oct -100 to collect, sold in blind packs of 3

Animal Crossing Amiibo cards launch 2nd October - 100 to collect, sold in packs of three

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/623520288408514561

Nintendo's first wave of card-based Animal Crossing Amiibo arrive in Europe on 2nd October.

That's not a great surprise: the 3DS game you use them with, Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer, also launches here on the same date.

But what is surprising is the number of cards that will be available. 100 cards will launch alongside the game, each sold in blind packs of three.

And that's just the first wave - Nintendo's pack design (posted to the official Nintendo of Norway website) suggests more will follow.

One card from each pack will be a "special" card, although it's unknown what exactly this means. (Will they be shiny? I never managed to get a shiny Charizard...).

Nintendo will first sell the Amiibo cards in Japan later this month, alongside Happy Home Designer on 30th July.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-21-animal-crossing-amiibo-cards-launch-2nd-october

Phoenixus

How much those packs will be is the question. Sucks that they're blind bags but I guess Nintendo is hoping kids will swap them between friends or something, like pokemon cards.

Hagi

3 card blind packs with 100 to collect? 1 per pack rares? no bueno. I'd hope that these would be easier to get than amiibo but nothing is safe these days. Better buy some boxes while you can.

How much those packs will be is the question. Sucks that they're blind bags but I guess Nintendo is hoping kids will swap them between friends or something, like pokemon cards.

I imagine more 20 to 30 year olds will be racing to get Animal Crossing cards than kids.

The number of cards in a pack is 3 huh, Pokemon cards gave at least 10-12 I think

Prepare for a lot of repeat cards for those that buy these , NoA counting that $$$$$$$

Got a feeling the smash cards will be like this too , welp

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
And that's why I'm sticking with the amiibo figures.

Blind packs are an absolute pain.

For what it's worth, the special cards are the mascot characters, like Tom Nook, Isabelle & K.K. Slider. The holiday characters also fall under this category.

Was hoping that there would be a bit more than 3 in a pack. I was thinking more along the lines of 5-7 at the very least. Hopefully these are priced an appropriately budget price for how few there are in the pack.

Mory Dunz

Amiibos I can understand though I don't do it...but people don't actually want to collect all 100 of these right? Animal crossing isn't
appealing in this regard right?

Koren

One card from each pack will be a "special" card, although it's unknown what exactly this means. (Will they be shiny? I never managed to get a shiny Charizard...).
Special is "Special AC Character"... Nook, K.K., Marie, etc.

There's a "SP" icon on the top left of the card for those, while the others have an icon of the corresponding animal.

They're pacts of 3? That's a bit questionable. Was hoping for 5-7.
They announced 6 at E3, 3 is a disappointment, and I expect them to be expensive (Argos have them at 9.99£ (15€), I hope it's a HUGE price mistake).

Ledhead

Wow. Blind packs of 3. 100 in all. If this follows the general Amiibo trend, Nintendo can expect to make boatloads of cash hahaha

Karkador

Banned
I'm guessing the "special cards" are special town roles like KK, Isabelle, the Able Sisters, etc. So you'll always get one of those in a pack, along with two of the regular neighbor animals.

Gotta catch 'em all...

JoeM86

That's a minimum of 34 packs to get a full set. More due to the fact there's 17 special cards in the set and you're guaranteed one in each pack. In Japan, it's 300 Yen a pack meaning it'd be 10200 Yen which is ~£52

That's assuming no doubles whatsoever

Hagi

What are we thinking 24 in a box? I don't think my luck with Gundam Duel Company will translate over to anything Nintendo.

Lol, this will be the amiibo gimmick that falls flat. Honestly can't imagine anyone having the patience to really collect all 100 of them. Hope all the scalpers buy them and then realize nobody else is buying them.

It's 3 per pack in Japan and Europe but 6 per pack in North America.

For once, NA isn't getting screwed over with amiibos (but of course it's the series that I couldn't give 2 shits about)

Kriken

Good luck Amiibo collectors, Pokemon cards were the bane of my existence when I was younger, lol

Edit: It seems like $3 per 3 cards will be the case, not bad for those who don't care for specifics, but the blind packs still suck for those who are collectors

Kitoro

If the game reviews well, I'll buy it with 3 packs, and cut myself off from there.

This is assuming that stores get more than a couple packs each and don't sell out before opening at launch.

Ridley327

It's 3 per pack in Japan and Europe but 6 per pack in North America.

For once, NA isn't getting screwed over with amiibos (but of course it's the series that I couldn't give 2 shits about)

Is that really the case? I wonder why there's such a big disparity in pack quantities.

ohlawd

is the game not bundled with a set number of random cards?

blind packs of 3. fucking Nintendo. whose shit idea was it to only pack three in?

SerTapTap

Fuck this. Really hope it doesn't affect the game too much. This is the absolute perfect AC sidegame for me, breaks my heart to see it tied to this shit. I just wanted to decorate homes with AC furniture and a good UI and no money/grind worries for once.

is the game not bundled with a set number of random cards?

blind packs of 3. fucking Nintendo. whose shit idea was it to only pack three in?

IIRC it comes with a card. As in one.

3 per pack is terrible. Prices better be $3 in the states. I don't even like collecting but I want these.

If you were amazingly lucky enough to get a unique card in each pack, that'd be $102 for the set. I'm not good at stats math but I'm sure expected value is more than double that. Even $3 is too much IMO

Koren

3 card blind packs with 100 to collect? 1 per pack rares?
Actually, the "special" are actually the commons...

There's 17 special and 83 normal cards in the first series, so you'll get a full set of special far before having all the "normal" ones...

Amiibos I can understand though I don't do it...but people don't actually want to collect all 100 of these right? Animal crossing isn't
appealing in this regard right?
If it was cheap, I could have seen myself running after those (or at least after the villagers I've had in my villages or liked a lot in the villages I visited), so I kinda hope they're expensive, in a sense...

In fact, when you collect villagers pictures in the game, it's even worse: technically, it's free, but you spend so much time courting the villagers to get them that it's kinda an expensive item at the usual hourly salary...

The number of cards in a pack is 3 huh, Pokemon cards gave at least 10-12 I think

Prepare for a lot of repeat cards for those that buy these , NoA counting that $$$$$$$

Got a feeling the smash cards will be like this too , welp

Man, a Smash TCG game that uses amiibo cards would set Nintendo for life.

Top Bottom