• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime - Summer 08 - Show info and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
momolicious said:
so why is Code Geass So Stupid? No one goes into explaining why they think the show is So Stupid.

Because it's not predictable and doesn't go the way people want it to. When a character dies, it's stupid. When something wild happens, it's bad writing. When a secret is revealed, bad writing. People just love to nitpik and call the show stupid simply because it isn't horribly predictable

Bebpo

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
Because it's not predictable and doesn't go the way people want it to. When a character dies, it's stupid. When something wild happens, it's bad writing. When a secret is revealed, bad writing. People just love to nitpik and call the show stupid simply because it isn't horribly predictable

Or because almost nothing makes logical sense. Lelouch is supposed to be REALLY INTELLIGENT, yet he makes stupid decisions randomly for the sake of the plot. Characters act out of character ALL THE TIME and do random shit. That's called bad writing.

Lain

momolicious said:
so why is Code Geass So Stupid? No one goes into explaining why they think the show is So Stupid.

People have explained it enough in the past, when S1 aired, why should they keep reiterating it everytime for the people that are unable to see what is wrong with Geass?

Tamanon

Banned
Bebpo said:
Or because almost nothing makes logical sense. Lelouch is supposed to be REALLY INTELLIGENT, yet he makes stupid decisions randomly for the sake of the plot. Characters act out of character ALL THE TIME and do random shit. That's called bad writing.

To be fair, Lelouch is supposed to be really intelligent, but he's also a teenager who thinks that he can get out of any jam:p

jman2050

momolicious said:

Others have answered this question well enough, but to reiterate, the plot progression and character motivations are extremely inconsistent, if they even made sense in the first place. Character actions and feelings are completely dictated by what would be the most "shocking" or most "dramatic" occurance based on the situation. As a result, character development is nonexistent, as any event that would serve to flesh out a character ultimately fails because it gets contradicted by something that happens later. Lelouch in particular jumps around wildly from being brilliant and cunning, to whiny and helpless, to caring and understanding, to coldhearted and ruthless, many times within a single episode! This is NOT complex characterization. This is basically a faceless avatar that warps itself based on the situation. Basically, the whole show is a vehicle for the Rule of Cool.

Not that there's anything wrong with that in many cases, but what really sets everything apart if that the entire show plays itself completely straight. Despite the fact that nothing makes sense anymore, the show attempts to present itself as a serious thought-provoking action-filled drama, when it is anything but. Forum posters debate about the show and its characters all the time, not because the show is filled with deep and complex plot points and characterizations, but because nothing is ever presented clearly and the whole thing just doesn't make a lot of sense, thus no one really knows what's going on. The (probably intended) side effect is that it makes the whole thing really entertaining to watch, as much of the enjoyment comes from watching something so audacious present itself so seriously.

Is this good enough?

Askia47

jman2050 said:
Others have answered this question well enough, but to reiterate, the plot progression and character motivations are extremely inconsistent, if they even made sense in the first place. Character actions and feelings are completely dictated by what would be the most "shocking" or most "dramatic" occurance based on the situation. As a result, character development is nonexistent, as any event that would serve to flesh out a character ultimately fails because it gets contradicted by something that happens later. Lelouch in particular jumps around wildly from being brilliant and cunning, to whiny and helpless, to caring and understanding, to coldhearted and ruthless, many times within a single episode! This is NOT complex characterization. This is basically a faceless avatar that warps itself based on the situation. Basically, the whole show is a vehicle for the Rule of Cool.

Not that there's anything wrong with that in many cases, but what really sets everything apart if that the entire show plays itself completely straight. Despite the fact that nothing makes sense anymore, the show attempts to present itself as a serious thought-provoking action-filled drama, when it is anything but. Forum posters debate about the show and its characters all the time, not because the show is filled with deep and complex plot points and characterizations, but because nothing is ever presented clearly and the whole thing just doesn't make a lot of sense, thus no one really knows what's going on. The (probably intended) side effect is that it makes the whole thing really entertaining to watch, as much of the enjoyment comes from watching something so audacious present itself so seriously.

Is this good enough?

Overall good analysis. Personally i love the randomness. Sure it doesnt have deep Shakespearian thought or deep huge character analysis some how representing society or some intellectual elitist epiphanies.

Its a fun show thats just done for the sake of being fun. Its entertaining , lots of twists and just fun. That may not make it consistent, but that doesn't make it bad either.

rykomatsu

jman2050 said:
Forum posters debate about the show and its characters all the time, not because the show is filled with deep and complex plot points and characterizations, but because nothing is ever presented clearly and the whole thing just doesn't make a lot of sense, thus no one really knows what's going on.

The sad (scary?) thing is, the Code Geass Defense Force treats the series like some deep thought provoking series on par with something by Dostevsky or Tolstoy or what not, and if you say otherwise, well...you get a crap ton of shit for it :p

jman2050

Askia47 said:
Its a fun show thats just done for the sake of being fun. Its entertaining , lots of twists and just fun. That may not make it consistent, but that doesn't make it bad either.

Hey, I'll be the first in line to watch the finale when it comes out. It's certainly horrible and stupid, but I still love/hate watching it :D

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
rykomatsu said:
The sad (scary?) thing is, the Code Geass Defense Force treats the series like some deep thought provoking series on par with something by Dostevsky or Tolstoy or what not, and if you say otherwise, well...you get a crap ton of shit for it :p

This.

rykomatsu said:
That's a slight exageration by you right? RIGHT?!

Tamanon

Banned
You would've hated it when Evangelion first hit the air then, the internet psycho-analysis was hilarious, although pretty much everybody that had a theory just threw their hands up and walked away at the last episodes.:lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Rahxephon91 said:
No I enjoy it to but some posts that analyze/make it out to be something it are pretty funny.

I'll give you that =P. They over analyze it to the point of being ridiculous.

Tamanon said:
You would've hated it when Evangelion first hit the air then, the internet psycho-analysis was hilarious, although pretty much everybody that had a theory just threw their hands up and walked away at the last episodes.:lol
Not exactly the same thing because the point of the final two episodes WAS psycho-analysis. The final two episodes was basically like a therapy session for the principle characters, and finding out why they did the things they did in the show up to that point. Obviously it doesn't make for very exciting television.

jman2050

Tamanon said:

Evangelion's psycho-analysis BS makes 100x more sense than anything in Code Geass.

Unfortunately, it doesn't make for very entertaining television. Which is why NGE fails.

jman2050 said:

Is this good enough?

makes sense, but parts of season 1 and season 2 are still entertainingly enjoyable

Defuser

Relix said:
They are enjoying the show. Any problem with that?
Take a look in the romance thread,they're like writing compositions of on Lelouch's body language and speech tone.etc towards each girl. :lol

rykomatsu said:

can you reccomend some great deep thought provoking anime?

Tamanon

Banned
I enjoy it, I don't see anything deep or philosophical about it other than two opposing viewpoints and how they clash realize the issues with their viewpoints. Nothing more, good characters, great animation, cool twists, the occasional Mech war and great english voice acting.

momolicious said:
Heres just a list of anime that I think are good. Maybe not deep and thought provoking but good

Giant Robo
Akira
Ghost in the Shell SAC
Berserk
Utena
Cowboy Bebop
Macross Plus

These aren't my favorites exactly but there the main ones that I think are actually well told and pretty good examples of anime. Yeah there are a lot more out there.

Other well told shows that may have a couple of stupid things include:
Rahxephon
Evangelion
Gunbuster
FLCL
Gurren Lagann
Votoms
MS Gundam
Escaflowne
Nadesico

Now these aren't going to make you want to write a thesis on them but I do think these are pretty good shows. I mean Evangelion did give me a lot to think about regarding my relationship with my father.

Fireblend

Banned
momolicious said:
Kaiba discusses some pretty complex themes. Specially the ethics in bioengineering/genetics and technology in general. But yeah, it's not like the medium is known for its complex and deep philosophical, thought-provoking stories.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh yeah, it's great how Code Geass not only has Pizza Hut product placement, they keep bringing out that instant heart attack pizza.

Tamanon

Banned
Speaking of Code Geass, Adult Swim has just made a move that makes no sense whatsoever.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-09-11/adult-swim-shifts-bleach-geass-moribito-timeslots

They moved it to FIVE IN THE FREAKIN MORNING. Makes absolutely no sense. It's getting decent ratings, instead there's going to be repeats of their normal shows. Geass is one of the more adult shows too, with pretty frequent pixelated nudity, so putting it on that timeslot is just bizarre since it's basically leading into little kid cartoons.

Tamanon

Banned
Hitokage said:
Oh yeah, I was wondering...

...did Adult Swim cut the masturbation scene?

Nope! It was still there.:lol I remember doing a double-take of "wait a minute....was that a moan?"

Tamanon said:
Speaking of Code Geass, Adult Swim has just made a move that makes no sense whatsoever.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-09-11/adult-swim-shifts-bleach-geass-moribito-timeslots

They moved it to FIVE IN THE FREAKIN MORNING. Makes absolutely no sense. It's getting decent ratings, instead there's going to be repeats of their normal shows. Geass is one of the more adult shows too, with pretty frequent pixelated nudity, so putting it on that timeslot is just bizarre since it's basically leading into little kid cartoons.
Wait...When the hell did Adult Swim get Seirei no Moribito?

The D. Gray-man anime is so terrible. It destroys the mood the manga created when
the Level 4 Akuma invades HQ
. No sense of suspense or hopelessness. The animation quality never goes beyond a certain point no matter what situation calls for it and the show suffers because of it.

Eh, I'm so dissapointed by how they have portrayed my favorite little arc of the manga.

Tamanon

Banned
Alright, I know I'm way behind on this, but just watchd Code Geass episode 20 on adultswim.com. Awesome episode. Seeing those two fight together was great, even if it was to the weird vocal track.:lol Looks like there's some excitement coming up judging by the titles! "Bloodstained Euphie"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom