• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Announcement trailer - Might & Magic Heroes VII

Carlius

Banned
Well, just a teaser, but right away there's again this pseudo-warcraftian artstyle that's been plaguing the series since HoMM5. Gonna sit on the fence until we learn more about the game, 6 was a huge disappointment.

initially yes. after the patches its pretty decent, far better than 4 and 5 imo

MacBosse

Oh hell yes! I love the heroes series. My favourite is 3 so I can only hope 7 will be closer to that. Looks like it from the german preview.

Dire

The one thing I don't really enjoy about the Heroes series is that in seemingly every single entry in the series the difficulty curve of a typical match/campaign looks something like flying up a 200 meter wall and then jumping straight off when you get to the top. I can only assume this is because in lieu of developing a competent AI they simply give it production advantages. So once you meet, let alone overcome, the AI's production it's basically game over. And for the same reason the only realistic strategy on higher difficulties is to rush, rush, rush lest you find the AI a month or two into the game with an army a couple of magnitudes larger than anything you could ever produce.

I'm not sure how this could be remedied or even if it's just me that thinks it an issue. Anyhow, anxious to hear more about the game!

Kalnos

Banned
I'm not sure how this could be remedied or even if it's just me that thinks it an issue. Anyhow, anxious to hear more about the game!

I agree with you, the AI is the biggest issue with just about every TBS game (Civ, AoW, etc).

Looking forward to hearing more about this one.

Hupsel

Man I love games like Heroes. Getting the new Kings Bounty tomorrow. Anyone know other games like this that I should try?

Alastor3

if I had to play any Heroes of might and magic that isn't too aged (last i played was HoMM2) which one would it be ?

Wiktor

Man I love games like Heroes. Getting the new Kings Bounty tomorrow. Anyone know other games like this that I should try?

Keep Legends of Eisenwald on your horizon. It's in early access now, full version should be out in few months and it's the most King's Bounty thing among upcoming titles

zashga

Preview http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/might-magic-heroes-7/artikel/might_magic_heroes_7,51546,3058798,2.html.

Summary:

7 resources instead of 4
Separate city screens
No teleporting units between cities, need to use caravans
War machines, catapults, first aid tents, ballistas..all are back.
Much more open maps, focus on free exploration
uses Unreal Engine 3
7 campaigns (6 main ones plus one ending one)
More objects/obstacles on battle maps

Sounds very very good so far

Sounds like everything Heroes 5 wasn't. In other words, good news!

Dire

if I had to play any Heroes of might and magic that isn't too aged (last i played was HoMM2) which one would it be ?

HoMM3 still plays great and is generally regarded as the best in the series. It's $10 on GoG and has about a million hours of gameplay even if you just play the campaigns.

Jigorath

Banned

Heroes 3 is far and away the best in the series. If you prefer having better visuals then check out Heroes 5, which is basically the same game as 3 but prettier.

ramparter

Banned
Who would vote for lame ass tree hugging sylvans over bad ass dwarves?

Where do you think my username comes from?

edit

The official website has already some good stuff.

Like this awesome Academy artwork - I really love the Heroes V Academy style.

academy_townscreen_1080p.jpg

Also

https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/factions/academy

Core Units, Elite Units, Champion Unit ...and Warfare Units? Were those existant in Heroes VI?

academy_townscreen_1080p.jpg

PIC_creature_academy_colossus_upg_large.jpg

Amazing.

Goddamn I never thought Ubisoft would really resurrect and respect the Might & Magic universe (M&M10, Heroes 7).

Props to the French! Merci bocu!

Nikodemos

Omg, are we finally going back to the old art style of HoMM? Please answer yes!
Old? The Academy's Levantine artstyle debuted in HoM&M 5. Before that it was a somewhat genericised 'magickal' style (it even had dragon golems in 4). Heck, the core terrain for HoM&M 3's Tower (the original name) was snowlands.

Same with the Haven's WoW-ish look. 3 and 4 had a more subdued, generically Western medieval style.

Old? The Academy's Levantine artstyle debuted in HoM&M 5. Before that it was a somewhat genericised 'magickal' style (it even had dragon golems in 4). Heck, the core terrain for HoM&M 3's Tower (the original name) was snowlands.

Same with the Haven's WoW-ish look. 3 and 4 had a more subdued, generically Western medieval style.

Tower Town looked so great:

H3-TowerTown.jpg

And that track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0L6YZDb-6w

Ah, memories.

KKRT00

Everything after 4 looks like WoW to me in terms of art style.
Every HoMM prior 4 had different art style and i probably liked HoMM 2's the most, but they still had common style.

Nikodemos

Everything after 4 looks like WoW to me in terms of art style.
I think it's the highly-colourful style. Blizzard did it first, and a huge amount of people were exposed to it primarily through WoW (sure, there were 3D MMORPGs before it, ex. EverQuest, Asheron's Call, but none had as high an expansion rate and they tended to be more subdued in terms of colour palettes).

Member876

Banned
Haven't gotten into Heroes game sicne the third part. I played them all but they just didn't grab me at all, hopefully this one does.

KKRT00

I think it's the highly-colourful style. Blizzard did it first, and a huge amount of people were exposed to it primarily through WoW (sure, there were 3D MMORPGs before it, ex. EverQuest, Asheron's Call, but none had as high an expansion rate and they tended to be more subdued in terms of colour palettes).

They didnt do it first, but they made the worst kind of art style very popular. There are tons of games with good colorful fantasy art style that are not similar to WoW.
Etherlords had much more fitting art style for new HoMM games than 5 did.

Nikodemos

Etherlords had much more fitting art style for new HoMM games than 5 did.
Funny you should mention that title. It was developed by the same people who did HoM&M 5 (Nival).

EDIT: OBTW, people who intend to buy/play 5 should grab the AI pack (I think the last version is 3.1j) and the Content pack. They don't add a lot to the campaigns (they tried but the scripts are simply too hardcoded/primitive), but standalone scenarios get a bit of enhancement.

Nere

Wonder if dungeon will be on this, its my favourite faction since heroes 3 ever since I saw that magnificent black dragon.

Tried playing Heroes 6 again last month, wondering why I'd never properly played it despite owning it. I got booted out of the game after half an hour without even the courtesy of an auto-save. Presumably because my internet connection dropped?

I loaded Heroes 2 up immediately afterwards and realized the franchise will never again reach this level of quality.

If HOMM7 requires even a HINT of internet reliance, I'm not giving them a penny.

sorceress.JPG

Nere

Tower = Inferno > Necropolis (dat music) > Castle > Dungeon > Stronghold > the rest > Heroes 4 > ................. > Rampart

NO here is my order Dungeon (Black dragons<3) >>>>>>>>>Castle>Necropolis>Rampart>Tower>Stronghold>the rest>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Conflux (hated it and thought it was really lazy)

and actually I liked Heroes 4 why so much hate sure it was different but it was pretty good just different.

KKRT00

I loaded Heroes 2 up immediately afterwards and realized the franchise will never again reach this level of quality.

If HOMM7 requires even a HINT of internet reliance, I'm not giving them a penny.

sorceress.JPG

I would pay full price for HD remake of HoMM 2.
I liked all HoMM to 4, but for me HoMM 2 was magical, also the only one i've made some maps for in creator.

32167 for life :)
And Vampires 'blaah' :)

Member876

Banned
Tower = Inferno > Necropolis (dat music) > Castle > Dungeon > Stronghold > the rest > Heroes 4 > ................. > Rampart

Necropolis is dam awesome and they have interesting units. Too bad they are so underpowered when compared to Tower, Castle and Dungeon. It's actually ridiculous how overpowered these three factions are against all the other castles. Well, Dungeon isn't all that powerful but Black Dragons are difficult to beat.

wagamer

I would pay full price for HD remake of HoMM 2.
I liked all HoMM to 4, but for me HoMM 2 was magical, also the only one i've made some maps for in creator.

32167 for life :)
And Vampires 'blaah' :)

This, this and this! HoMM 2 was the first one I played, and also only one I bothered to make custom maps for. I hope 7 would bring back the random map generator, but I guess that'd be too much to expect.

wagamer

Q&A here.

Nothing groundbreaking, but sounds like they've listened the fanbase and realised that VI was kind of an offbeat.

In addition, one of the main parts of our vision for this new Heroes title is to empower our players wherever we can. To do so we have designed powerful yet accessible tools to put at their disposal. Our fans have repeatedly requested these features, and we consider these tools as being part of meeting their expectations.
We also learnt (the hard way, let's face it) that we should invest more time in tools for our players to create content, but also for our development teams to maintain an effective level of support once the game is released. With Heroes VII we have anticipated those needs and we are ready to offer both to players and developers the means to make their wildest ideas a reality in the game.

I really hope random map generator is one of those tools.

Nikodemos

Hopefully they keep the territory system from 6. It was so nice not having heroes with a single unit constantly run around and steal all your mines.
Yeah, having to Benny Hill-chase an opposing tertiary hero around your mines got really old, really quickly.

I hope they don't repeat the whole uPlay thing. I mean, LOL:
I got booted out of the game after half an hour without even the courtesy of an auto-save. Presumably because my internet connection dropped?
Press "End Turn" get auto-kicked because your net hiccupped.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is it bad that my primary goal when looking at screenshots of this is to figure out what kind of assets they can use for M&MXI?

EDIT: They're using Unreal 3? Interesting.

Sinatar

Wasn't the games called Heroes of Might and Magic?
I wonder why they changed that.

Ubisoft decided they wanted the 'Might & Magic' branding to be more prominent.

Stupid decision to make 6 games into a franchise, but Ubisoft gonna Ubisoft.

Sinatar

Fortress are losing to Sylvan 66 to 33?

There is no conceivable way someone would vote for a god damned elf over a dwarf, so I guess Limbic already made the decision ahead of time and rigged the poll.

ramparter

Banned
Fortress are losing to Sylvan 66 to 33?

There is no conceivable way someone would vote for a god damned elf over a dwarf, so I guess Limbic already made the decision ahead of time and rigged the poll.

Come on man. Sylvan is a classic faction in HoMM. They had Unicorns, Pegasus even Gold Dragons. Strangely enough they also had dwarves :p

Also Fortress was boring according to most people in HV mainly because units were pretty much the same. Dwarf lookig with different abilities.

BibiMaghoo

Please do not have that online garbage that kicks me from a single player game when my connection drops. This pissed me off immensely, and ensured I still play Tribes of the East.

Edit: God those screens look great.

Any rumors at least about MMXI? I hope we're not back to just getting Heroes games...

Haven't heard anything, but I'm figuring that they'll probably unveil something about an MMXI later, probably after HOMM7 releases. MMX did really well as I recall so it should get some support for a new entry.

believe

Sinatar

Any rumors at least about MMXI? I hope we're not back to just getting Heroes games...

Well development on HOMM VII started while MMX was still in production, so in theory Limbic has 2 teams. Hopefully they didn't just absorb the MMX guys into the HOMM project and let them start on XI.

Top Bottom