• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Announcing games way before they're ready

13ruce

Banned
While the Zelda BotW wait was actualy pretty standard it was hard but oh boy it must be Kingdom Hearts 3 it's been 10 years now nearly. As a child i could not wait to play Kingdom Hearts 3 after beating 2 i waited and waited and waited decebt spinoffs came but they were not enough.

Then finally in 2013 it gets announced by a teaser and yeah now it's 2017.... And it probably wont release till the end of 2018.

Square Enix really need to get their shit right it's pretty irritating how long they take on games now look at FFXV... People that waited 10 years for that must have been furious it's just insane how they play with fans.

I hope KH3 will be great, if it is just like FFXV and unfinished i will be pretty mad.

I did Like BBS tho the other spin offs were meh and the 3DS game was okay.

I feel like the common thread with games being announced too early is Japanese development, if anything.

It's not just the Japanese who do this, at all:

Uncharted 4 - about 2.5 years
Halo 5 - about 2.5 years
Below - fuck knows (coming up 4 years since announcement?)
Cuphead - fuck knows (coming up 3 years, I think?)
Crackdown - coming up 3 years
Scalebound - was over 2.5 years before it was cancelled
Beyond Good & Evil 2 - fuck knows
Mirror's Edge 2 - think this was well over 2 years

Etc.

joms5

To grow hype and drive preorder. That helps studios see if it can be a good investment or they might need to change/cancel it.

I know you probably don't believe this for games such as NMH3 or Death Stranding. It makes sense when you actually know what a game is.

In those 2 instances though, it's meaningless to show off a game that early. We haven't even been told what kind of game either of those are. NMH3 we don't even have a name for yet, nor do we even know if it's NMH or just the same character.

Death Stranding we've only seen celebrities in cutscenes so far.

How is anyone excited for either of these? I think intrigued is the word. I'm intrigued by both of these titles. But excited? How can you be excited for the unknown?

Halo 5 - about 2.5 years

Etc.

This one sort of makes sense. They want to generate knowledge around an unknown IP from an indie studio. They might want to attract investors or make some platform deals before release. It doesn't hurt to have as much time as possible. Also considering that they've changed the design of that game a bit.

All the others though are just silly.

Leflus

Halo 5 - about 2.5 years

Etc.
If you count Scalebound as a Western game you'd have to count Uncharted 4 as a Japanese game. :p

...but yeah. Western pubs/devs are guilty of this too. Agent is another good example. Still hasn't been officially cancelled afaik.

I know you probably don't believe this for games such as NMH3 or Death Stranding. It makes sense when you actually know what a game is.

In those 2 instances though, it's meaningless to show off a game that early. We haven't even been told what kind of game either of those are. NMH3 we don't even have a name for yet, nor do we even know if it's NMH or just the same character.

Death Stranding we've only seen celebrities in cutscenes so far.

How is anyone excited for either of these? I think intrigued is the word. I'm intrigued by both of these titles. But excited? How can you be excited for the unknown?
I think it's pretty clear the only (or at least main) reason Death Stranding was revealed so soon was to capitalize on the goodwill of showing how Sony is sticking with Kojima after the Konami incident, and in turn so the community can see Kojima is still working on stuff.

If he had just started working on a new IP without all that baggage, I doubt the game would have been revealed so early

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It's one of the big reasons I really dig Nintendo's approach to E3. Zelda shenanigans aside, Nintendo's E3 showcase is typically of games that are being released within the next six months, and that's flippin' awesome.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
But why is that a bad thing? You would prefer if they only announced the game this year?

If it meant a constant stream of information because the game was near completion and the developers were confident in the game's feature set, yes, absolutely. From my perspective as a fan of the series, there's no good reason to announce a new game when the soonest you can put out a gameplay video is nearly three years after the fact.

Outrun

Sony?

Last I checked, I can't think of any notable announcements they've made this gen that are far off and at risk of being cancelled on a whim. Death Stranding is definitely years away, but I'd wager it will end up shipping mostly-intact.

If this is any thread, it's a Microsoft thread. Especially with their casualty-rate this gen.

It has begun....

Industry thread BTW.

I'm totally cool with games being announced super early. The way I see it, much of what I'm looking forward to this year, barring some recent announcements, are things I've known for a while. So I look forward to them, and in the meantime, I get to read more announcements for games coming later.

Works for me. Hell, I know about Pixar movies years and years before they are ever released, and I'm cool with that.

Essentially, there should be more Detroit, Horizon and Days Gone showed off. Then again even Days Gone could be pushed to 2018 but I doubt it.

I don't believe they ever said Days Gone was releasing in 2017, so it can't be pushed back if it has no date. ;)

kalgore

Neo Member
Announce it early yourself and control the messaging and presentation of the game or have it leaked and let people draw their own conclusions. Seams like a can't win to me.

Game is done when it's done. It would be nice for the devs to share something where they are at the moment and not have to face backlash later when things change.
Some posters here would prob say they would love to get more insight in how things are made and more talks but why should they when it leads to a bunch of butt hurt people.

Hobbes211

I'm not sure it's really going to change anything if a game isn't announced years ahead of time at this point. Think about Fallout 4 as an example. We all knew it was coming, and people dug and dug and dug to the point of pissing of Bethesda, and when they finally did announce the game a few months ahead of its release date, the game was a pretty big let down. It used the same engine as Fallout 3, half assed textures everywhere and an even worse story. Meanwhile, FFXV was announced what feels like forever ago and was a much better success (IMO). It all just seems like a way to encourage console sales on the promise of games in the future that we may be interested in.

Top Bottom