• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anonymous Indie Devs speak out on the growing pains of Switch eShop Curation

ITSMILNER

What about Binding of Issac, that never got any exclusive content did it? Or the upcoming Overcooked or Towerfall Ascension

LordKano

But I did I Am Setsuna entirely and it's the very definition of a late port, there's nothing added to it compared to the PS4 version that came out a good while before it.

I don't think it even have HD Rumble, nothing. :lol

Actually there's an exclusive DLC that came out a few weeks later IIRC.

Parshias7

But I did I Am Setsuna entirely and it's the very definition of a late port, there's nothing added to it compared to the PS4 version that came out a good while before it.

They updated I Am Setsuna with a Switch-exclusive battle mode two weeks ago.

jonno394

I am setsuna is not really comparable to indie ports though, plus SE would've dealt with NoJ. NoA seem to be getting there criticism.

Wondering who the first indie dev is. I actually can't think of any American indie developers with particularly well-reviewed games on the Wii U or 3DS eShop that haven't announced or strongly hinted at Switch support, at least off the top of my head.

Seik

Banned
But isn't this issue just considering indie games? I don't think Setsuna falls under that category.

Yeah, you guys are right.

Surprising that they let the big pockets having their late games in there and gives shit to indies. :(

EDIT: Oh, so IAS got exclusive content! Will check it out tonight.

Takat

Most of their comments seems to stem from bureaucracy at Nintendo, not for ill intentions. It's a big company that I'm assuming has too many heads.

Eila

Weird to not want quality games on your new platform. It doesn't read that they're talking about mobile ports here.
Moreover it's an unique one, being portable and capable of running such titles.

It got exclusive content a week ago.

And lol @ "destroying everything Adelman did". Damon Baker was his boss.

sirap

And yet Poisoft managed to get Vroom in the Night Sky into the eShop.

If these reports are true, Nintendo's curation direction is definitely bizarre.

jeffers

Its worth remembering when you talk about titles on the eshop which branch of nintendo they dealt with.

Imagine they are trying to control the early switch image quite hard along with being super busy.

swarley64

They said they didn't want ports? Why??

I'm guessing this means they only want enhanced upgrades of games from other platforms (ie with additional content)? There are definitely indie games being ported to the Switch (Cave Story, for example).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'd be very interested to know what Devs these are and what games they're talking about. One mentions ports but then goes on to complain about Nintendo thinking they can predict what the next big thing is, which didn't sound like a port to me.

I'm slightly concerned one of these may be wayforward :/

Actually (unless things changed in the meanwhile)

http://gonintendo.com/stories/275199-wayforward-teasing-switch-game-development

Last but not least, are you buying the new Nintendo Switch? The team over here is excited for Switch, and WayForward is a Switch developer. And yet, we haven’t announced… anything at all? It makes you think we’re up to something. It’s all so suspicious! Don't worry - we'll have more info for you soon. Enjoy launch day, and we’ll see you on the other side!

LordKano

Most of their comments seems to stem from bureaucracy at Nintendo, not for ill intentions. It's a big company that I'm assuming has too many heads.

It might also be that they cannot manage the huge amount of indie devs interested in developping for the console, compared to the few that bothered with Wii U/3DS. This is a structural problem that they may have underlooked. That would also explain why some devs had to wait so late to be allowed to order a devkit.

And yet Poisoft managed to get Vroom in the Night Sky into the eShop.

If these reports are true, Nintendo's curation direction is definitely bizarre.

It's a japanese game. The curation problem might be a NoA exclusivity.

fernoca

I imagine port means "late port" without enhancements.
Blaster Master is a 3DS port but they launched simultaneously. Shovel Knight had timed exclusive content. Tomorrow Corp games have some joy con functionality. Etc.
Yeah, I remember talk about that months ago. They want to avoid devs flooding the eShop with old ports, then either not make new games or not make anything.

Guess is one of the things they will change with time.

Developers have every right to be pissed off, but is mostly around the Switch been the "it thing". And it has only been out for under 2 months.

The Wii U got wide open with time, to the point that anyone could release a game on it, and while there were many games on it. Quality was all over the place, and it still missed the attention of many devs because of the low sales.

Switch been 2 months old, they just seem to avoid (badly) having everything flooding the main page. Made worse by the current eShop were older titles just disappear unless you look for them.

Guess we'll know in a year...or two.

Mpl90

Painful really.
It looks like in the past 12 months, Nintendo of America simply destroyed all the hard work that took years to Dan Adelman to build.

Remember that pre-launch Switch threads were pretty positive and full of hope for Switch eShop after the improvements seen on 3DS and Wii U.
I'm really starting to think there are some huge problems at several key positions at NoA.

Are we looking at the same eShop current and upcoming lineups?

Oregano

Wondering who the first indie dev is. I actually can't think of any American indie developers with particularly well-reviewed games on the Wii U or 3DS eShop that haven't announced or strongly hinted at Switch support, at least off the top of my head.

There's probably at least some exaggeration there.

The one who was apparently approached for a publishing deal also strikes me as a bit weird, of course they would be a lot less interested in a multiplatform or late port.

Painful really.
It looks like in the past 12 months, Nintendo of America simply destroyed all the hard work that took years to Dan Adelman to build.

Remember that pre-launch Switch threads were pretty positive and full of hope for Switch eShop after the improvements seen on 3DS and Wii U.
I'm really starting to think there are some huge problems at several key positions at NoA.

This curated shop isn't their policy going forward. They've said it's only for this early period in the system. You guys need to stop being so overdramatic about everything. This isn't even a defense of some of the pain point in the current process, just a note that they've literally said it's not a change in fundamental policy, just a different starting approach for the time being

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Makes it sound much worse than it actually is
... Switch already has a much better first year Indie game lineup than all previous Nintendo systems together...many of them from previous loyal partners. So I don't buy that narrative at all. There are some that are mad the didn't get treated like royalty for some old ports or didn't weren't able to get devkits asap to benefit from the launch hype.

Sounds like business as usual... That's pretty much every console launch otherwise you would have these new consoles launch with +100 Indie games available digitally. That's just not how it works....not even for Sony or MS.

Edit;
Did Jools get his Switch devkit? Sounds like Anonymous dev No. 1.

In this case, it sounds like it may actually be the opposite, in that NoA shifted the eShop team from a fairly straightforward, wide-open certification role to a much more involved curation role without staffing up accordingly for the expanded workload.

Brunire

Does this mean we won't be seeing Kutar on the Switch?

Y-dB-7hOhsvaPwnS3MxuAd_oqHwLDWnY.png

The Boat

This is interesting because we hear fantastic things from some devs and this from anonymous ones. Obviously not all devs are being treated the same, but it would be interesting to know exactly what it has been like for the majority of indies.

Of course, many will choose to take these anonymous quotes that tell half the story and ignore the good experience many devs have been having.

They said they didn't want ports? Why??
All nidies are equal but some nindies are more equal than others
no nindies shall make ports except the Nintendo
, SEGA, Square-Enix, Yacht Club , Nicalis and the kitchen sink

It seems like a really odd rule considering the amount of exceptions when you include third parties at retail. Although thinking back to the Game Boy color Nintendo had a similar stance along the lines of; "don't just add palettes to your old games, you have to add some level or something that actually makes use of colour".

Nintendo's not really a big company. They only have about 5,000 employees worldwide. How many do you think are in development, vs. management or marketing?

They are definitely not large enough to give them the benefit of the doubt on communication issues or impenetrable corporate red tape like this.

lyrick

Sounds like Nintendo adopted a Day and date parity clause so they don't get the late ports with the partial content that the Wii U received.

Not really sure how this is any different than what the other two platform holders have done in various degrees in the past.

GulAtiCa

Yep, it's really frustrating so far. I've barely made any head room in getting a Switch dev kit. Their weird "no ports" for indies when half of indies games already are ports, is really dumb and confusing.

Parshias7

It is also pretty apparent that the amount of effort Nintendo is requiring for an indie game to not be a straight port is pretty low. You pretty much only need to throw in HD rumble and you're good to go.

That is, unless games like World of Goo and Human Resource Machine have other exclusive content I am not aware of.

Mpl90

Top marks for NintendoLife, btw, at least (not that they can't be high rated games elsewhere).

rpmurphy

Yep, it's really frustrating so far. I've barely made any head room in getting a Switch dev kit. Their weird "no ports" for indies when half of indies games already are ports, is really dumb and confusing.
Comparatively speaking, how was the process for getting a Wii U dev kit in your experience?

Mediocre hardware, fantastic games, shit company.

*sigh*

Yes, I have to sadly agree with this. I thought with Kimisha taking over the reigns we will see a total reinvention of ninty but still shit like this keeps happening.

Pisses me off as they are easy things to fix and they have tried before, I.e the wii u eshop.

Sounds like an NoA problem, and a weird one at that.

Also, I know what he was trying to say but this is just silly phrasing, grammatically speaking:

I've had a long-standing relationship with Nintendo for many years. We've gone out eating and drinking multiple times

I'm just picturing him and the whole of Nintendo eating and drinking at a restaurant.

This is interesting because we hear fantastic things from some devs and this from anonymous ones. Obviously not all devs are being treated the same, but it would be interesting to know exactly what it has been like for the majority of indies.

Of course, many will choose to take these anonymous quotes that tell half the story and ignore the good experience many devs have been having.

You've got a bunch of these on the first page.

Ridley327

Sounds like an NoA problem, and a weird one at that.

Also, I know what he was trying to say but this is just silly phrasing, grammatically speaking:

I'm just picturing him and the whole of Nintendo eating and drinking at a restaurant.

That little preamble sounds like something Randy Pitchford would say about Nintendo.

LordKano

Considering the Nindies line-up, it's pretty obvious that it's currently shaping way better than how it was on Wii U and 3DS. It doesn't change the fact that there may be a deeper problem that won't let some devs getting access to the machine.

I don't think anyone would say no to a straight port of Axiom Verge with, say, HD Rumble included as an exclusive feature. Damon Baker said that they were looking first at new games, and it's even more obvious when you look at the current Nindies line-up, but still, we could get both old and new games at the same time. How could it hurt the consumer ?

I'd be more interested in a portable version of Axiom Verge than, say, a new experience like TumbleSeed.

GulAtiCa

Comparatively speaking, how was the process for getting a Wii U dev kit in your experience?

EASY. They opened the doors wide open for me. Who at that point had no experiences and never even made a game yet.

I feel the likes of The Letter, Meme Run & U CRAFT dev (though never ever completing it) caused too much drama and sullied the "good name" of eShop and made them take this really weird position. Except, they are outright denying bigger indies. Like Axom Verge...

LordRaptor

Not really sure how this is any different than what the other two platform holders have done in various degrees in the past.

Their current policy is literally identical to current Sony and MS policy.
It's just a huge step back from their policy on WiiU.

Sure you do. Doesn't it sound like a familiar Indie Clause Microsoft had when this generation started?

Because they had a clause stating you had to have some new content with the game if it was coming to their platform later or after it was released prior on another platform.

Yeah, it's essentially the same thing as the Microsoft Indie Clause, I agree. But that at least made some amount of sense, because Microsoft and Sony launched their next gen consoles at the same time, but Sony was the market leader and was able to bring indies to their platform first. There also was not much to differentiate the two platforms as far as indies were concerned, because they generally had lower horsepower requirements that wouldn't result in a visual difference.

With the Switch, it hasn't been around as a platform during the same era, and it offers a great selling point for buying indies on it compared to the other options: portability. I haven't bought Axiom Verge yet, but I'd love to buy it for Switch. It doesn't need any extra features to make it worthwhile for me. The portability is a feature itself. Granted, Axiom Verge is also available on Vita, but I doubt Nintendo sees the Vita as a major competitor in the way the PS4 and X1 are.

Top Bottom