• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ANT-MAN | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liamario

Banned
Every time this thread pops up, I don't feel any buzz. I think that excitement left with Edgar Wright. It really is a shame that neither parties could come to an agreement/compromise.

Moppeh

Banned
Every time this thread pops up, I don't feel any buzz. I think that excitement left with Edgar Wright. It really is a shame that neither parties could come to an agreement/compromise.

Same here. This was my most anticipated MCU movie, now I give zero fucks about it. Now I'm praying that it will be at least decent.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Actually, I blame Wright dragging his feet for Ant-Man taking so damn long to make. If not for him, we could have had him and Wasp appear in Avengers Age of Ultron, or even the first Avengers, as Joss Whedon intended.

Actually, I blame Wright dragging his feet for Ant-Man taking so damn long to make. If not for him, we could have had him and Wasp appear in Avengers Age of Ultron, or even the first Avengers, as Joss Whedon intended.

agreed.

and has there been a detailed plot synopsis leaked for this movie.
I'm just wondering if we know where the heist is taking place in this movie.

I had a theory that this movie is following AoU as the close of Phase2 (instead of the open of Phase 3) because the heist takes place at Stark Industries and Pym is handing his Ant-man suit off to Lang to steal back his tech that lead to the whole Ultron ordeal in the first place.

He might have dragged his feet, but it's hard to argue that the project is much less exciting without him.

AMUSIX

He might have dragged his feet, but it's hard to argue that the project is much less exciting without him.

Yes and no. There is certainly much less excitement without him, but the excitement that was there before was based on nothing. Other than his involvement, what was known about the movie?

It does feel like Marvel's going through the motions on this one, though. The only thing that is keeping my interest alive is the release date. They could have easily shoved it off into the fall somewhere if they had zero confidence in it. By keeping the mid-summer date, they obviously think they have something bankable. Just hope that a trailer shows up soon.

Pachimari

I'm still excited just because it's a new hero introduced to the MCU and it must have some importance. I'm very curious. It could become a great heist movie.

Is Paul Rudd a good actor?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Old Hank Pym is such a goddam waste of the character to rush in a not-as-good one. Wright has a lot to answer for as his 8 year inaction cost the MCU some cool stuff and already boned some continuity they could have had from the word go.

Also, Evangeline Lily doesnt look like she's gonna make a good Wasp at all :/

ZoddGutts

Yeah, I get the feeling Marvel just wanted to save face instead of cancelling the movie. They scrambled quickly and got a not so promising staff team for the movie. Hoping for the best but I'm lowering my expectations for this movie.

mreddie

I want to believe and maybe it'll turn out to be decent. My hope is that Marvel/McKay/Reed made the script something worthwhile, not expecting GOTG/Avengers awesomeness but something worthwhile.

Blader

Old Hank Pym is such a goddam waste of the character to rush in a not-as-good one. Wright has a lot to answer for as his 8 year inaction cost the MCU some cool stuff and already boned some continuity they could have had from the word go.

Also, Evangeline Lily doesnt look like she's gonna make a good Wasp at all :/

For the millionth time, if Kevin Feige and Marvel did not want Wright's approach, they wouldn't have gone for it; the script would have been rewritten years ago, or the pitch wouldn't have been be approved in the first place. Even if the idea of Scott Lang as the hero and Hank Pym as the older mentor originally came from Wright and Cornish, Marvel was in favor of it just as much as they were.

And there was no inaction on Wright's part, Marvel put the film on the backburner because it wasn't a priority for them. If they'd wanted it out sooner, they would have done so. When Wright asked if he could delay the film to shoot The World's End first, Marvel could have easily said no and given the project to someone else.

I don't know why people think Wright somehow had Marvel over the barrel here; they're the studio, they have the power in this situation, not him. And ultimately, it's Marvel who has the final say on when and how the film is made, not Wright.

Dai101

Banned
Didn't Wright quit because he didn't want the movie to be connected to the Cinematic Universe?

Maybe we will never know why. One thing that is 100% sure is that if he wanted his movie to be standalone he should have done it 8 years ago.

Blader

Didn't Wright quit because he didn't want the movie to be connected to the Cinematic Universe?

It's never been fully explained, and I'm sure Wright has probably signed an NDA or something on it. There was an interview with Feige sometime around Comic Con where he (accidentally?) gave a couple of candid hints about Wright not really adhering to some of Marvel's script notes, and neither party not realizing until late in the game how serious each other were about it. I don't think Wright's position was ever anti-MCU though, and both he and Cornish had acknowledged that they were rewriting the script from its original incarnation to better fit Marvel's current landscape at the time. The issue seemed more to be that maybe they didn't accommodate the MCU enough?

Blader

also, I don't think there's really any cause for concern on the lack of Ant-Man lately. It's not a part of Phase 3, so it's obviously going to be totally omitted from that onslaught of announcements, and it's still in the middle of shooting so it's not really ready to show off yet like Ultron.

I mean, maybe it's bad and being deliberately kept under wraps, but I think it's more likely that it's just caught in a weird PR spot between Ultron and the Phase 3 movies.

olympia

I'm still really excited for this movie. I think it'll be great. I just want to see more pictures and artwork from it.

Fnord

In a way he got one during Christopher Priest's 90s run, which is considered the BEST Black Panther run of all time.

It was a great run. It was the only run of BP that I read consistently because of how good it was.

noah111

Still Alive
Believe in Feige.
giphy.gif

I do, he's done an amazing job—but Edgar leaving was more than worrisome.

Are we gonna get any more official shots? When might we expect the trailer? Has the shooting finished?

I find it strange that it's gone from being the start of Phase 3 to being the epilogue of Phase 2.

mreddie

Are we gonna get any more official shots? When might we expect the trailer? Has the shooting finished?

I find it strange that it's gone from being the start of Phase 3 to being the epilogue of Phase 2.

By January I believe, again, this is looking similar to GOTGs production.

Also, I think Marvel believes Civil War will shake up the MCU unlike Ant Man which will just add another hero to the mix. MCU think Winter Soldier kicks off Phase 2 which woild kinda mean it would be Winter Soldier, IM3, Dark World, GOTG, Ultron, Ant Man. Adding AoS just mucks things up.

Do you mind elaborating? Do you just mean because he has a love for the source material?

From what I remember, Peyton was in line to direct a 60s era Fantastic Four film, but dropped out when Fox moved in a different direction. His take on it was very well-received. Also, when he was a kid, he was in a Marvel-inspired band, and he drummed as Ant-Man, cause it was his favourite.

BLACKLAC

Do you mind elaborating? Do you just mean because he has a love for the source material?
NotTheGuyYouKill explained it perfectly. He had integrity involving Fox's F4 and time proved him right. Also Rudd brought him on board and helped with some rewrites, this has moved from a Wright project to a team project between actors and director.

Also, I don't think they're lying when they say they're keeping a lot of the material from Wright's story.

Yup, had Reed had his way from the beginning 8 years ago we would probably have Pym, with the limited production time changing that now would probably ruin the film.

From what I remember, Peyton was in line to direct a 60s era Fantastic Four film, but dropped out when Fox moved in a different direction. His take on it was very well-received. Also, when he was a kid, he was in a Marvel-inspired band, and he drummed as Ant-Man, cause it was his favourite.

NotTheGuyYouKill explained it perfectly. He had integrity involving Fox's F4 and time proved him right. Also Rudd brought him on board and helped with some rewrites, this has moved from a Wright project to a team project between actors and director.

Sounds promising but I'm an absolutely huge fan of Wright's humour and directing style, I'm not holding much hope for this film but I must say that I have never wanted to be more wrong about a film.

Thanks for the speedy responses.

Fletcher

I love Wright and would have loved to see a Wright made Marvel movie, but this is ok too. I think Wright left not because of anything involving the film content, but conflict with the studio itself. Marvel has done a good job thus far making these films that I don't see a problem having a yes man making this film and putting together a solid/fun time.

Stark

Banned
Yup, had Reed had his way from the beginning 8 years ago we would probably have Pym, with the limited production time changing that now would probably ruin the film.

In that sense, it works out for fans and Marvel/Reed. He may not have full control but has more than enough say on it.

Blader

That was Adam McKay, not Reed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom