• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ANT-MAN | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Retroactively changing the context of a scene so that it means something completely different from what it was originally intended to mean is very much a retcon.

Except there was no context to that scene to give you much of any impression. Ross didn't have control or even know where Banner was, so clearly Stark was not coming to acquire him from Ross. The closest you might get is that he was coming to tell Ross to back off, but that seems highly unlikely too. In fact, the full scene is the only thing that makes any real sense.

Pachimari

Mostly downhill from here

Well, I have seen Thor, Avengers, Iron-Man 3 and The Dark World before, but I have a tendency to forget the movies I watch.

I watched Spider-Man 2 a few days ago, and the only thing I could remember, where the train scene and tower fight. It was unbelievably good.

Except there was no context to that scene to give you much of any impression. Ross didn't have control or even know where Banner was, so clearly Stark was not coming to acquire him from Ross. The closest you might get is that he was coming to tell Ross to back off, but that seems highly unlikely too. In fact, the full scene is the only thing that makes any real sense.

It was intended to set up a version of Avengers where the team is initially assembled by Stark and Fury to take down the Hulk. They didn't use the word Avengers in the scene itself, but I don't really see much ambiguity there.

Wazzy

Banned
This doesn't make any sense to me. Aside from being revealing about where some of the priorities for this movie are, you're forgetting that Marvel signed off on it. If Feige and co. didn't want an Ant-Man movie with Lang as the hero, Pym as the older mentor and Janet out of the picture, they would have either passed on Wright's pitch or asked him to rewrite it as a Hank/Janet story. They didn't. So it's as much Marvel's decision to go the Scott/Hope route as it was Wright's.

It depends on how much say they were giving Edgar. Joss Whedon wanted to used Janet but had to write her out because of this movie and I'm thinking Marvel was letting him make changes as long as it still allowed for the similar characters to join. That's not to say I think Marvel is innocent, they shouldn't have allowed all of these changes but I don't know if it was as simple as Marvel agreed to everything when they ended up not coming to an agreement over the film.

mreddie

It depends on how much say they were giving Edgar. Joss Whedon wanted to used Janet but had to write her out because of this movie and I'm thinking Marvel was letting him make changes as long as it still allowed for the similar characters to join. That's not to say I think Marvel is innocent, they shouldn't have allowed all of these changes but I don't know if it was as simple as Marvel agreed to everything when they ended up not coming to an agreement over the film.

I'm guess they didn't want to go though another major script and likely all the suits and EFX were in the works already.

Blader

While we don't know the specifics of what Marvel didn't like about Wright's script, don't you think if they objected to something like who the male and female leads of the story were, that would have come up sooner? I mean, if that's a problem, then that's the very first note. They're not going to move the film into production and start casting if they disagreed on who the lead characters were supposed to be.

The movie was always billed with Lang as the hero and Pym as the older mentor who passes the torch, from the very beginning. That's the concept Marvel got behind and stuck behind for all those years.

Dram

I just assumed Wright left because he wanted to make a stand alone film that didn't tie into the Cinematic Universe.

Wazzy

Banned
While we don't know the specifics of what Marvel didn't like about Wright's script, don't you think if they objected to something like who the male and female leads of the story were, that would have come up sooner? I mean, if that's a problem, then that's the very first note. They're not going to move the film into production and start casting if they disagreed on who the lead characters were supposed to be.

The movie was always billed with Lang as the hero and Pym as the older mentor who passes the torch, from the very beginning. That's the concept Marvel got behind and stuck behind for all those years.

I know and that's not what I was arguing against. It's Janet's role in the movie where I'm wondering what happened and if there was disagreements since as I said, Joss wanted to use her but couldn't. I don't think Marvel had a problem with using Lang, it's Wasp where I can see there being issues.

ZoddGutts

Wasp would have been a great addition to the Avengers, great character and leader too. Far better character than Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel ever was.

I prefer Lang as the hero, truth be told.

But does Hope become Wasp in this, I wonder? This would make Scott and Hope the first "legacy" heroes of the MCU, probably opening the door for other characters to replace other heroes if Feige chooses to do so.

You forget that Wright had the scripted storyline before Ironman 1, and Ant-Man was originally supposed to be a Phase 1 movie.
Joss wanting to use Wasp was likely killed because Wright delayed Ant-Man to a Phase 2 movie.

It is very probably that at this point in time, whatever Wright was planning on doing with the movie originally needed tweaks to line up with everything that has happened in Phase 1. Wright delayed the movie again, so now it's a Phase 3 movie.....
Captain America 2 happened. Everything changed.
Avengers 2 has been written around Ant-Man not having happened yet....

Marvel tried to do it the Wright way, but it took too long and all turned out so, so Wrong.

So I don't think it's an issue of who the main characters are, it's more that they should have been introduced years ago, and now things had to evolve to not include them.
At this point, the MCU has grown so big, that the mostly stand-alone story needed major revamping to tie it into everything else. I'm sure that's where too many changes were being made, and Wright could no longer call it his movie.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel's patience just ran out and basically told him to either get with it or walk, because they were not delaying again, and already altered too many pre-planned story points waiting on him to make it happen.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
On the hook for what exactly? If it wasn't for Edgar Wright there wouldn't BE an Ant-Man movie in the first place. He was the one person who gave enough of a shit, and we certainly wouldn't have gotten to see someone as awesome as Michael Douglas as Pym. However else the movie turns out, Hank is the one character I'm 100% sure is in good hands.

mreddie

I know, his passion made this all possible but until we know why he left, this project is one big question mark, especially with the whole Janet/Hope ordeal.

Ravijn

If you haven't yet.. watch the Ant-Man Comic Con 14 panel. Peyton Reed is a huge Marvel/Ant-Man fan and I have faith in Kevin Feige for selecting him to replace Edgar Wright.

I'm sure the movie will be awesome.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
On the hook for what exactly? If it wasn't for Edgar Wright there wouldn't BE an Ant-Man movie in the first place. He was the one person who gave enough of a shit, and we certainly wouldn't have gotten to see someone as awesome as Michael Douglas as Pym. However else the movie turns out, Hank is the one character I'm 100% sure is in good hands.

With guardians coming, there would have eventually have been an antman movie.

Wazzy

Banned

Ant-Man was hyped because of Edgar but it stopped mattering the moment the Marvel name became huge. He was going to be brought in eventually and acting like Wright is the only reason is silly. Back then, sure, but now? No way they wouldn't have put him in the universe.

Man, you guys are crazy.

5263390974_bd8f190c84_o.gif

Blader

You forget that Wright had the scripted storyline before Ironman 1, and Ant-Man was originally supposed to be a Phase 1 movie.
Joss wanting to use Wasp was likely killed because Wright delayed Ant-Man to a Phase 2 movie.

It is very probably that at this point in time, whatever Wright was planning on doing with the movie originally needed tweaks to line up with everything that has happened in Phase 1. Wright delayed the movie again, so now it's a Phase 3 movie.....
Captain America 2 happened. Everything changed.
Avengers 2 has been written around Ant-Man not having happened yet....

Marvel tried to do it the Wright way, but it took too long and all turned out so, so Wrong.

So I don't think it's an issue of who the main characters are, it's more that they should have been introduced years ago, and now things had to evolve to not include them.
At this point, the MCU has grown so big, that the mostly stand-alone story needed major revamping to tie it into everything else. I'm sure that's where too many changes were being made, and Wright could no longer call it his movie.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel's patience just ran out and basically told him to either get with it or walk, because they were not delaying again, and already altered too many pre-planned story points waiting on him to make it happen.

Ant-Man was never a phase 1 movie. If you remember way back, a week or two after Iron Man opened, when Marvel did it's first movie slate announcement, it was Iron Man 2 and Thor in 2010 followed by Cap and Avengers in 2011. Some of those dates were later shuffled around, but the point is that Ant-Man was never on the docket.

Also I think you're forgetting that Marvel is the studio; they have the control in these situations, not Wright. The movie was delayed at Wright's request in 2011 so he could shoot The World's End, and Marvel agreed to that. They didn't have to say yes; they could have just as easily said no or let him go do his movie and get someone else on Ant-Man.

It's the same thing with the Scott/Hank angle. That was Wright's idea from the very beginning and Marvel was on board with it. We know they had some kind of issue with the script, but it wouldn't have been something as central as who the characters are and how the story is structured. They wouldn't have started casting if that was the case.

Basically what I'm saying is that if Marvel wanted an Ant-Man movie centered on Hank and Janet, and released before 2015, they would have done so and gotten someone else to do it. They were under no obligation to stick with Wright or his script. But they did because Ant-Man wasn't ever a priority for them and they liked Wright's vision for it.

Ant-Man was never a phase 1 movie. If you remember way back, a week or two after Iron Man opened, when Marvel did it's first movie slate announcement, it was Iron Man 2 and Thor in 2010 followed by Cap and Avengers in 2011. Some of those dates were later shuffled around, but the point is that Ant-Man was never on the docket.

Also I think you're forgetting that Marvel is the studio; they have the control in these situations, not Wright. The movie was delayed at Wright's request in 2011 so he could shoot The World's End, and Marvel agreed to that. They didn't have to say yes; they could have just as easily said no or let him go do his movie and get someone else on Ant-Man.

It's the same thing with the Scott/Hank angle. That was Wright's idea from the very beginning and Marvel was on board with it. We know they had some kind of issue with the script, but it wouldn't have been something as central as who the characters are and how the story is structured. They wouldn't have started casting if that was the case.

Basically what I'm saying is that if Marvel wanted an Ant-Man movie centered on Hank and Janet, and released before 2015, they would have done so and gotten someone else to do it. They were under no obligation to stick with Wright or his script. But they did because Ant-Man wasn't ever a priority for them and they liked Wright's vision for it.

Ant-Man was pitched as one of the original movies they were going to develop as they had a plan for it before they even started Iron Man.

They also had plans for a Nick Fury movie as well... but they scrapped that in favor of him appearing in "all" the movies to tie them together.

Someone posted the Powerpoint slide from it a while back.
But it was one of the first batch of movies they had planned, before it was constantly delayed. But I agree that Marvel could have gone forward with it whenever they wanted, but they instead decided to work around it until they realized that if they didn't make it happen now, it was going to delay other planned projects.
I don't think Marvel had a problem with the script as it was back then, I think Wright had the problem with the changes needed to be made to the script now.
It's not about the fact that Pym was old and Scott is New, they can always adapt soem Pym into Lange and the greater audience would never know the difference or care. I think it was more that Wright never wanted to rearrange and alter his script to incorporate the greater MCU. A lot happened between the original pitch and the pre-production start date. Lots of story convergence needed to happen.

mreddie

Ant-Man was pitched as one of the original movies they were going to develop as they had a plan for it before they even started Iron Man.

They also had plans for a Nick Fury movie as well... but they scrapped that in favor of him appearing in "all" the movies to tie them together.

Someone posted the Powerpoint slide from it a while back.
But it was one of the first batch of movies they had planned, before it was constantly delayed. But I agree that Marvel could have gone forward with it whenever they wanted, but they instead decided to work around it until they realized that if they didn't make it happen now, it was going to delay other planned projects.
I don't think Marvel had a problem with the script as it was back then, I think Wright had the problem with the changes needed to be made to the script now.
It's not about the fact that Pym was old and Scott is New, they can always adapt soem Pym into Lange and the greater audience would never know the difference or care. I think it was more that Wright never wanted to rearrange and alter his script to incorporate the greater MCU. A lot happened between the original pitch and the pre-production start date. Lots of story convergence needed to happen.

And with the rumored script stuff, I guess he didn't like it. Which perplexes me but whatever. It's like if there was a new Punisher film, it would likely have to tie in with the MCU.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
punisher beat electro? :O

With rubber bullets.

The new run of Punisher is so fucking bad. It's a fucking merry-go-round of pointless marvel cameos.

The Punisher is supposed to be dismantling organized crime, not fucking around with Crossbones and Electro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom