• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Antichamber: A reason to say 'non-euclidean'

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I really don't remember any hints prior to the one which you really have to use it
Managing resources
other than the regenerating wall, which is stretching it as it is.

There's a puzzle, maybe the one you're talking about, where you're
filling up the four outlines with the green gun
so you can
grab the cube from the unprotected middle
or something. I didn't realize why it was
filling up
at the time...i thought i was powering up an object that was doing it.

Atlas

Neo Member
I had a chance to play this at PAX, and I was not disappointed. Played for a 7 hour binge on release day and loved every minute of it.

We're currently still looking for purple cubes over on the steam forums. Please take a look if you're interested in helping out.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/219890/discussions/0/864958451399039278/#p1

Currently, the dev has said that the cubes
have no effect on the ending, and will most likely just be an achievement in later versions

Hitting the Wall is bugging me!!

I cant get down with any consistency, and then I muck up moving the cubes and exit, or accidently press esc and have to try to get down all over again, its driving me mad!

edit: never mind, I got it.

Won

Decided to buy this on a whim. Glad I did. Really enjoy the difficulty of the puzzles so far. Makes you think, but you never get stuck.

I does shifts a bit too much into "block spam" after a while though. Or maybe it's just a mechanic I don't enjoy and just sticks out, because of it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The speedruns are ridiculous, but I'm more amazed at all the puzzles which was solved differently from how I solved it.

Finished it. 5.5 hours. Super fun, but not terribly difficult except for 2 spots.

So...quick question about what I assume is the ending

I'm pretty sure I beat the game, saw credits and what not- is the game supposed to go right to desktop after the last name?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dude I'm stuck like a chump in this game.
My fear of having anything spoiled has prevented me from asking friends for help. But shit man, I am STUUUUUUUUCK. My good dude has already played through it twice though, I think.

Daedardus

So...quick question about what I assume is the ending

I'm pretty sure I beat the game, saw credits and what not- is the game supposed to go right to desktop after the last name?

Yeah it just quits to desktop. It doesn't have a menu and it doesn't make sense to go to the antechamber anyway. You just beat the game, why should you still be alive?

Yeah it just quits to desktop. It doesn't have a menu and it doesn't make sense to go to the antechamber anyway. You just beat the game, why should you still be alive?

It makes sense, but I wasn't sure if it was treating me differently because i didn't get all the signs.

Ionic

This 5:16 speedrun is wonderful. I'm excited to see how much shorter people can make it. I was amazed when I realized most of the puzzles in the game are simply there to teach me how to do the very few required puzzles. It's really a great design.

Jasconius

Finally finished it, took about 6 hours. I actually only really got stuck once, at something really simple, and I thought of the solution when I was lying in bed of the middle of the night, haha. I still have quite a few of the optional puzzles to solve and signs to collect so I'll probably play some more after I take a little bit of a break, but this was really an enjoyable game!

The speedruns are pretty fun to watch also, some of the solutions were quite a bit faster than anything I did~

I still have a screenshot of my situation before finding it. It is a bit dark and not really a spoiler.

The second I saw that picture, I knew what to do, so it's kinda spoilery :p

Even if I thorougly enjoyed this game, I kinda feel about 50/50 about the puzzles.
Some puzzles I could work with for a long time before deciding to move on, only to find out that after you find another gun it takes literally seconds to solve it.
This
block creating mechanic
is kinda lazy too and I got tired of all those
build your own way with blocks
puzzles.
I don't even know how many times I just stopped and thought "hey, is this really the way I'm supposed to solve this puzzle?", since it feels like you're just exploting the game mechanics.

And damn that
moving blocks with middle mouse button sucks, it's really hit and miss to stop one block from moving mid-air

Jintor

I was actually kind of disappointed when I figured out the solution to a puzzle and instead of progress I fell into an easter egg room

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Really? Huh.

I tried to do it for one puzzle which I thought I had to do it, thought I did it once, but then couldn't replicate it. Solved it another way though which was way easier.

atomsk

Party Pooper
This 5:16 speedrun is wonderful. I'm excited to see how much shorter people can make it. I was amazed when I realized most of the puzzles in the game are simply there to teach me how to do the very few required puzzles. It's really a great design.

As I watched this just kept saying "oh.. OH SHIT"

I did a lot of those puzzles a much more difficult way lol

Wok

Watch the video between 1:25 and 1:50. This is a really smart use of the teleporter to the main room.

And the final puzzles between 3:50 and 4:25.

Finally, the trick between 5:00 and 5:20.

Hakkesshu

I seem to be missing a couple remaining secrets:

The exit in the southeast room here (I believe it is Climbing the Tower 6):

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/903239049262102410/DFC4CDE2082CB7BCF68364DEA9F2CB7F1D7A3866/

And the two signs here (Row 6, 3 and row 7, 10):

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/903239049262103478/CF4ED45D75B040805ED305191D3040CEBCEB7FEE/

Has anyone gotten these?

Edit: Found the exit
in the "four exits" room
and the 6,3 sign
in A Link to the Past

Now only missing that last sign.

Inkwell

Banned
I seem to be missing a couple remaining secrets:

The exit in the southeast room here (I believe it is Climbing the Tower 6):

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/903239049262102410/DFC4CDE2082CB7BCF68364DEA9F2CB7F1D7A3866/

And the two signs here (Row 6, 3 and row 7, 10):

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/903239049262103478/CF4ED45D75B040805ED305191D3040CEBCEB7FEE/

Has anyone gotten these?

Edit: Found the exit
in the "four exits" room
and the 6,3 sign
in A Link to the Past

Now only missing that last sign.

There's a Steam guide for all of the images. I can tell you the one at 7, 10 can be found in
The Final Hurdle

dLMN8R

Jesus fuck this game is brilliant. I just got to the room with the jump pads. (That should be vague enough to not spoil anything at all, to give you context for the area I'm at)

Here's how I solved that area - did I do it completely ass-backwards, or was this intended?

I looked up toward the ceiling to teleport into the next room. From there, I fell to the bottom of the new hole that occurred. Looking up now showed me a big 'X' at the top.

Using the snake-like moving blocks, I lifted myself up to the top of that hole, standing on top of the "snake" I was moving. That brought me all the way to the top. From there, I could drop back down once again into the new hole that emerged below me, reaching the end of that segment.

It was such a brilliant display of a game teaching you mechanics and then testing you later, combined with completely unique puzzle solving the likes of which I've never seen in a game. I felt like the smartest man in the world after all that, but did I actually solve it "the right way"?

Drain You

Wow thanks for opening up my eyes to this game. Never heard of it before but I am absolutely loving everything I've seen. Sadly I am going to have to wait till the weekend to play. Love the style of graphics and it looks to bring some interesting elements into the puzzle genre. Also happy to see comparisons to Qube as I enjoyed that game immensely.

Misguided

Banned
Very late puzzle spoilers

At what seems to be the end of the "Falling Forward" puzzle run, is there supposed to be something to this all white room? I had trouble enough trying to get in here.

Jintor

Only got two more paths left on the map:

Jump-Pad Thingy (can't figure out how to drop down into the area... wait, I just had an idea) and Now You See It (can't figure out what the path leading off could possibly be)

Any tips?

G.O.O.

Uhm... question : anyone else felt sick playing this game ? I don't have problems with FPS most of the time, last time it happened was with the vehicle sections of HL2.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Uhm... question : anyone else felt sick playing this game ? I don't have problems with FPS most of the time, last time it happened was with the vehicle sections of HL2.

I got quite noticeably sick the first couple hours of playing. I occasionally have problems, but the last game I couldn't play due to motion sickness was Mirror's Edge. Fortunately in this game I guess my brain eventually got used to it because it stopped.

I wish the map made a little more sense to me. I'd like to think that the arrows are there to point out unexplored directions, but most of them either lead me to the middle of a corridor I've run through a billion times or to a puzzle I've solved already. Also, the six different points on the map that all teleport me to the same location when I click on them are way too confusing. There may be some logic there, but I'm not getting that logic, so looking at the map just pisses me off.

Other than that, there's some extremely clever puzzle design here. I like my completely stupid and way too complicated solutions that still end up working.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I wish the map made a little more sense to me. I'd like to think that the arrows are there to point out unexplored directions, but most of them either lead me to the middle of a corridor I've run through a billion times or to a puzzle I've solved already. Also, the six different points on the map that all teleport me to the same location when I click on them are way too confusing. There may be some logic there, but I'm not getting that logic, so looking at the map just pisses me off.

The arrows are needed just because of the 4D nature of the space, you can't really represent it on a 2D plane with full continuity. If it were a 3D map, maybe, but it'd lack a lot of spacial consistency (places close by would have to be mapped as very distant; then again, it's Antichamber, space is theoretical). The little rectangles that look like they'd be hallways but don't stop at squares, those indicate unexplored areas.

There shouldn't be multiple squares that send you to the same room, though... some do send you to very similar or very close-by rooms, maybe different levels of the same 'room', but not the exact same starting position.

KScorp

Other than that, there's some extremely clever puzzle design here. I like my completely stupid and way too complicated solutions that still end up working.

The squares are rooms. If they're large, there's still something for you to find in them. If they're small, you got everything there is to find (except purple squares).

Attached to the squares are arrows. They just indicate what room you can reach from that square. If you hover over the arrow it shows you what room you'll get to.

You can also have dead-end circles attached to the rooms as well. They indicate secrets usually.

Finally you might see a small rectangle attached to a room. That will either lead to a new room, become an arrow, or become a dead-end circle once you explored it, so they indicate what paths you haven't explored yet.

Dirtie

Only got two more paths left on the map:

Jump-Pad Thingy (can't figure out how to drop down into the area... wait, I just had an idea) and Now You See It (can't figure out what the path leading off could possibly be)

Any tips?
Now You See It changes if you look away from a certain something, I assume you want the path where it doesn't change

did I actually solve it "the right way"?
Pretty sure that's how I did it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I made some GIF's you guys might appreciate.

igGrcOPltV7wd.gif

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I made an Antichamber exploration video!

Though sadly I don't know that I can recommend this for people who haven't completed the game yet. Too much of Antichamber is about discovering new areas, so watching video of that might ruin it. I don't show any puzzle solutions (I even deliberately don't solve some puzzles when I run into them, so sorry if my obtuse behavior in the video annoys some people!) but I do show the final area, so that might be a problem for some.

Also, this is my first video ever so it's kind of edited badly. I hope to improve on this when I make more exploration videos in the future.

Ambitious

I'm nearly through. Apart from the exit, only two rooms are left, but I'm really stuck. Don't want to ask for help though, as I've managed to come that far without asking.

By the way: Pulling Both Ways is pretty straightforward, but if you just can't do it, you may have the same glitch I had:
The blocks dissolved upon touching any laser beam except the top one and didn't reappear. I thought it was part of the puzzle, but it didn't happen after restarting the game.

Davidion

I just beat the game; no guides/hints but I was tempted so many times.

Holy shit, Portal, step aside. Your puzzle FPS champion title just got swiped out of your hands.

Not to rain on anyone's parade here - but I can't be the only one who feels a bit misled on this game, right? The non-euclidean space portion of this game is maybe 10% of the overall game, with the remaining 90% being block puzzles. Before the game came out I don't recall even hearing that there was a gun in this game, instead you heard more about how inventive and crazy and mind-fucking insane the spaces you played through were.

I realize that to talk about some of the specifics would become spoilery, but suffice it to say I ended up being pretty disappointed with Antichamber. That first hour, hour and a half, is amazing - but the block puzzles just kill it for me. Not only is it not the game I felt I'd been pitched on, but it takes almost all the effort out of puzzle solving once you realize how the game is operating. If you can't immediately figure out what you should be doing with a puzzle, chances are you don't have the right "tool". And once you have the right "tool" the puzzles becomes incredibly trivial. Almost to the point of being busy work.

Granted there are some more difficult puzzles, as you guys have been discussing here, but they are not essential to the game, and I think for the average player just getting to the end will be enough.

I know it was for me.

Top Bottom